Wounded Warriors Project vs. Semper Fi charity

turzovka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
I do not blame anyone for being careful where they send their charitable funds. I do blame us all for not being charitable enough. I also am not crazy about the super rich giving so much to art museums and alma maters instead of to those dying or needing a well for water that won’t make them sick. But I digress.

This article in the NYTimes points out the now famous Wounded Warriors Project (heavily promoted by Fox, etc.) raises many millions for their cause (great!) --- however their Administrative costs are now far, far more than they used to be. In other words, have their missions changed a little?

[from the article]
About 40 percent of the organization’s donations in 2014 were spent on its overhead, or about $124 million, according to the charity-rating group Charity Navigator. While that percentage, which includes administrative expenses and marketing costs, is not as much as for some groups, it is far more than for many veterans charities, including the Semper Fi Fund, a wounded-veterans group thatspent about 8 percentof donations on overhead. As a result, some philanthropic watchdog groups have criticized the Wounded Warrior Project for spending too heavily on itself.

I post this article because I think taking care of all of our soldiers, especially the wounded, is one of the most important things we as a nation should be totally indebited to. Our government needs to do more, cut the budget wherever else you want to make that happen. I do not want to see our brave and honorable military men and women short-changed in any way. It would be disgraceful if some took advantage of this.

=========================================================

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/u...=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

Wounded Warrior Project Spends Lavishly on Itself, Insiders Say

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — In early 2014, after 10 years of rapid growth, the charity Wounded Warrior Project flew its roughly 500 employees to Colorado Springs for an “all hands” meeting at the five-star Broadmoor hotel.

They were celebrating their biggest year yet: $225 million raised and a work force that had nearly doubled in just a year. On the opening night, before three days of strategy sessions and team-building field trips, the staff gathered in the hotel courtyard. Suddenly, a spotlight focused on a 10-story bell tower where the chief executive, Steven Nardizzi, stepped off the edge and rappelled down toward the cheering crowd.

That evening is emblematic of the polished and well-financed image cultivated by theWounded Warrior Project, the country’s largest and fastest-growing veterans charity.

Since its inception in 2003 as a basement operation handing out backpacks to wounded war veterans, the charity has evolved into a fund-raising giant, taking in more than $372 million in 2015 alone — largely through small donations from people over 65.

Today, the charity has 22 locations offering programs to help veterans readjust to society, attend school, find work and participate in athletic endeavors. It contributes millions to smaller veterans groups. And it has become a brand name, its logo emblazoned on sneakers, paper towel packs, peanut butter cups and television commercials that run dozens of times per day.

But in its swift rise, it has also embraced aggressive styles of fund-raising, marketing and personnel management that have caused many current and former employees to question whether it has drifted from its original mission.

It has spent millions a year on travel, dinners, hotels and conferences that often seemed more lavish than appropriate, more than four dozen current and former employees said in interviews. Former workers recounted buying business-class seats and regularly jetting around the country for minor meetings, or staying in $500-per-night hotel rooms.

The organization has also spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in recent years on public relations and lobbying campaigns to deflect criticism of its spending and to fight legislative efforts to restrict how much nonprofits spend on overhead.

About 40 percent of the organization’s donations in 2014 were spent on its overhead, or about $124 million, according to the charity-rating group Charity Navigator. While that percentage, which includes administrative expenses and marketing costs, is not as much as for some groups, it is far more than for many veterans charities, including the Semper Fi Fund, a wounded-veterans group thatspent about 8 percentof donations on overhead. As a result, some philanthropic watchdog groups have criticized the Wounded Warrior Project for spending too heavily on itself.

Some of its own employees have criticized it, too. During five years with the Wounded Warrior Project, William Chick, a former supervisor, said of the charity, “It slowly had less focus on veterans and more on raising money and protecting the organization.”

Mr. Chick, who was fired in 2012 after a dispute with his supervisor, said he saw the Wounded Warrior Project help hundreds of veterans. But like other former employees, he asserted that the group has adopted a policy of swiftly firing anyone that leaders consider a “bad cultural fit.”

Eighteen former employees — many of them wounded veterans themselves — said they had been fired for seemingly minor missteps or perceived insubordination. At least half a dozen former employees said they were let go after raising questions about ineffective programs or spending.

A spokeswoman for the charity said it fired those people because of poor performance or ethical breaches, and that each person was given the opportunity to address their work problems.

The spokeswoman, Ayla Tezel, said that more than a third of the charity’s employees are veterans, and that the organization is rated one of the top nonprofits to work forby the NonProfit Times.

“Sometimes employees make poor choices that can’t be overlooked,” Ms. Tezel said. “And sometimes those employees are veterans.”

A For-Profit Model
Veterans organizations in the United States often reflect the era in which they were created: After World War I, they resembled fraternal orders. After Vietnam, many focused on advocacy in Washington.

The Wounded Warrior Project cuts a different profile. Under Mr. Nardizzi’s direction, it has modeled itself on for-profit corporations, with a focus on data, scalable products, quarterly numbers and branding.

(… the article continues much longer in the NYTimes link)

As a charity goes 40% is not bad. The Clinton Foundation gives out less then 10%.
Good comeback. : )

I think 40% is defintely high once you start talking about super large charities. $124 million to run this charity?

Still, I know many wounded veterans have benefited. I just think our government needs to do more or become far more efficient with the veterans hospitals.

As a charity goes 40% is not bad. The Clinton Foundation gives out less then 10%.

I think 40% is defintely high once you start talking about super large charities. $124 million to run this charity?

Still, I know many wounded veterans have benefited. I just think our government needs to do more or become far more efficient with the veterans hospitals.
We pretty much agree their overhead is high. But I have built wheelchair ramps for WW. Ten years, just quit a few months ago. They hire a LOT of vets to do the orders/designs/site inspection and needed permits.

I have found myself they hire a greater percentage of vets then ANY company I know. And I think when you figure that in 40% ain't bad.

Good point, if a lot of that 40% is going to vets and wounded warriors then it should be considered within the realm of "donation" - especially for the stubborn old schoolers; those who absolutely refuse charity and demand that they be allowed to earn it themselves.

I would be interested to see the breakdown of whom they are hiring and paying to do said administration.

The people running this 'charity' have decided its party time. At the huge expense of wounded vets. Its despicable. No more money to this charity, there are plenty of others.

Don't forget your good old neighborhood VFW. Come on by and have a drink and get to know us. (We call it drinking for charity since our profits go to those in need). Join us packing gifts and packages for our troops overseas. Join us with our year long food drives. Join us hosting dinners for the local seniors home. Join us supporting local families in need--the aid will remain anonymous for their dignity's sake. Join us in supporting young veterans with their heating bills and tuition as they work during the day and go to school at night. They're burning the candle at both ends so that one day soon, they'll be giving back as they once served. Did I mention come on by and have a drink with us?

You don't have to be a Vet.
(But it would sure help if you have a strong liver!!!!)

vfw-photo.jpg

Charity Navigator Rating - Veterans of Foreign Wars Foundation

16181-2.jpg

-------------------------------------

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Yes do the work yourselves rather than sending money to 'Wounded Warriors' who spend 40% on 'administration'.

Its always best to give directly to vets instead. Time and money.

You should research on how much of a percentage of our tax dollars go directly to Veterans that is earmarked from the government, if it is over 40% I would eat my hat.

You should research on how much of a percentage of our tax dollars go directly to Veterans that is earmarked from the government, if it is over 40% I would eat my hat.

Yes, you are right. But how much of our tax dollars now being thrown away at green jobs and green companies and global warming massive projects go to our veterans? Zero. So let us start there. Government is a disease almost as toxic as the mainstream media.

Their commercials cost bunches, yet are very effective. Their administrative costs aare low. Theirmfundraising costs are high, but when compared to what they bring in, I would say worth it. They are still considered one of the top charities in its category by charity navigator. Their transparency is rated as one of the highest.
Disgruntled ex- employees are trying to raise a stink, not to help the vets, but to hurt their ex- bosses. Did they want more for themselves? Or possibly someone wanting to hurt them as they are a conservative organization that has an irs status they don'-t have to divulge their donors? Like what the irs did?
If they did not have such high transparency I might question it, but they do.

Administrative is 6%.

Actually according to the link:

"Program Expenses
(Percent of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs
and services it delivers) 59.9%"

60% goes to the actual vets. Their fundraising expenses, which is 34% (from the link) should be included as overhead or admin as well since it isn't going to the vets or any programs.

IMO though, 60% going to the vets and programs is still not bad. There are some charities where a strong majority is spent on overhead. Given the outreach of wounded warriors, 40% spent on itself is not bad.

Fundraising is not administrative. It includes advertising and promotions, as well.
Administrative is compensation expenses for employees.
Look at United Way, their top officer receives over $1.5 million in compensation. More than 3 times what wwp ceo does.
United Way, out of $89 million raised in 2014, over 79 employees received over $100,000 in salary, and benefits.
WWP? raised $349 million, and had 26 employees making over $100,000 in salary and benefits.
They raised more than 3 times, yet compensated 1/3 as many people in doing so, as the United Way.
Administrative is 6%.

"Program Expenses

60% goes to the actual vets. Their fundraising expenses, which is 34% (from the link) should be included as overhead or admin as well since it isn't going to the vets or any programs.

IMO though, 60% going to the vets and programs is still not bad. There are some charities where a strong majority is spent on overhead. Given the outreach of wounded warriors, 40% spent on itself is not bad.

Last edited:
Fundraising is not administrative. It includes advertising and promotions, as well.
Look at United Way, their top officer receives over 1.5 million in compensation. More than 3 times what wwp ceo does.
United Way, out of $89 million raised in 2014, over 79 employees received over $100,000 in salary, and benefits.
WWP? raised $349 million, and had 26 employees making over $100,000 in slalary and benefits.
They raised more than 3 times, yet compensated 1/3 as many people in doing so, as the United Way.
Administrative is 6%.

"Program Expenses

I judge a program by what goes back to the vets and the programs they sponsor. 60% went back to the vets and the programs they support from the WWP. Now, you can play little word games and call one thing admin and another thing not all you want, but that fact you cannot change. 60% went back to the vets and the programs they support PERIOD.

And I'll say again, given their outreach and the support they have provided, I don't think spending 40% on WHATEVER they spend is bad when they give 60% to their programs.

I was in accounting for years, thus my habit of properly categorizing. What can I say. Lol
Yes, 60% is good, and I hope once they get over their growing pains they can return even more to our wounded and their families, as their donations grew very quickly in a short time frame.
Look at United Way, their top officer receives over 1.5 million in compensation. More than 3 times what wwp ceo does.
WWP? raised $349 million, and had 26 employees making over $100,000 in slalary and benefits.
Administrative is 6%.

"Program Expenses

I judge a program by what goes back to the vets and the programs they sponsor. 60% went back to the vets and the programs they support from the WWP. Now, you can play little word games and call one thing admin and another thing not all you want, but that fact you cannot change. 60% went back to the vets and the programs they support PERIOD.

And I'll say again, given their outreach and the support they have provided, I don't think spending 40% on WHATEVER they spend is bad when they give 60% to their programs.

Hilarious, the very people that bitch and moan about the president's wife flying to a state function are now fine with a 'charity' spending 40% of DONATIONS TO HELP VETERANS on parties, drinking, and overhead.

Yes why would veterans need that money? Its all one big pot so as long as veterans get something its all fine.

Sickening. Don't give to this 'charity', give directly to veterans.

Hilarious, the very people that bitch and moan about the president's wife flying to a state function are now fine with a 'charity' spending 40% of DONATIONS TO HELP VETERANS on parties, drinking, and overhead.

Yes why would veterans need that money? Its all one big pot so as long as veterans get something its all fine.

Sickening. Don't give to this 'charity', give directly to veterans.
ShoW us how much is partying and drinking. It's already been shown only 6% goes to administration.

Forum List

Back