WOW! “SHOW ME STATE” SHOWS OBAMACARE THE DOOR… Prop C Passes By Over 70%

Yea pea brain...patients denied coverage protest by dying... a very outspoken advocacy group.

Patients die, regardless of the quality or cost of care

It's called "Life Insurance" for a reason.

you can't really dispute the fact that insurance companies do, in fact, deny claims for the purpose of saving money or delaying payment while interest accrues on those funds. I think everyone in the insurance business will tell you that adjusters are supposed to deny a certain percentage of claims. if they don't they aren't doing their job.

perhaps you recall this case:

17-Year-Old Cancer Survivor Dies After Transplant Is Finally Approved By CIGNA - cbs2.com

particularly senstive to the death of their 17 year old were CIGNA worker who

After their conversation, employees heckled the group from a balcony; one man gave them the finger.

CIGNA Employee Flips Off Mother Of Dead Girl Denied Transplant

One case reflects an entire industry?

Do I really need to find one case where the Federal Government has with-held "claims for the purpose of saving money or delaying payment while interest accrues on those funds," and has lead to catostrophic consequences to condemn the entire Social Welfare System?

you can't really dispute the fact that insurance companies do, in fact, deny claims for the purpose of saving money or delaying payment while interest accrues on those funds. I think everyone in the insurance business will tell you that adjusters are supposed to deny a certain percentage of claims. if they don't they aren't doing their job.

17-Year-Old Cancer Survivor Dies After Transplant Is Finally Approved By CIGNA - cbs2.com

After their conversation, employees heckled the group from a balcony; one man gave them the finger.

Do I really need to find one case where the Federal Government has with-held "claims for the purpose of saving money or delaying payment while interest accrues on those funds," and has lead to catostrophic consequences to condemn the entire Social Welfare System?

Hey pea brain...'education' try it sometime...

harvard_medical_logo.gif
url.gif

New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage

Uninsured, working-age Americans have 40 percent higher death risk than privately insured counterparts

Cambridge Health Alliance

Nearly 45,000 annual deaths are associated with lack of health insurance, according to a new study published online today by the American Journal of Public Health. That figure is about two and a half times higher than an estimate from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in 2002.

The study, conducted at Harvard Medical School and Cambridge Health Alliance, found that uninsured, working-age Americans have a 40 percent higher risk of death than their privately insured counterparts, up from a 25 percent excess death rate found in 1993.

“The uninsured have a higher risk of death when compared to the privately insured, even after taking into account socioeconomics, health behaviors, and baseline health,” said lead author Andrew Wilper, M.D., who currently teaches at the University of Washington School of Medicine. “We doctors have many new ways to prevent deaths from hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease — but only if patients can get into our offices and afford their medications.”

The study, which analyzed data from national surveys carried out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), assessed death rates after taking into account education, income, and many other factors, including smoking, drinking, and obesity. It estimated that lack of health insurance causes 44,789 excess deaths annually.

Whole article...

New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage | HarvardScience

You're arguing that health insurers don't make payments on catastrophic heathcare with evidence that has nothing to do with healthcare insurers.

You read the title: "lack of heath coverage" = "No Heath Insurance"

Those people should have bought health insurance.

that was by example. do i really need to waste my time proving something that anyone ever involved in the insurance industry knows?

try starting here:

http://www.getclaimhelp.com/public-...nce-companies-deny-claims-raise-premiums.html

Last edited:

that was by example. do i really need to waste my time proving something that anyone ever involved in the insurance industry knows?

try starting here:

Insurance Claim Problems - 10 Worst Insurance Companies Deny Claims Raise Premiums

1. ALLSTATE
2. UNUM
3. AIG
4. STATEFARM
5. CONSECO
6. WELLPOINT
7. FARMERS
8. UNITEDHEALTH
9. TORCHMARK
10. LIBERTY MUTUAL

Since I have BlueCross, I'm not concerned.

I'd suggest anyone with Allstate look for another option.

Of course, the more the Federal Government Mandates Healthcare, the fewer options there will be.

By the way, you never answered my question:

Should I just assume that you agree that the Fed's won't do any better job with Healthcare since they've perpetually fouled up almost everything else they've tried?

You're arguing that health insurers don't make payments on catastrophic heathcare with evidence that has nothing to do with healthcare insurers.

Hey pea brain...YOU ignorantly blurted: 'Patients die, regardless of the quality or cost of care'

IF you had the intelligence and the courage to watch the interview with former the CIGNA executive, you would have some knowledge as to WHY 'Those people' couldn't afford health insurance.

MYTHS ABOUT THE UNINSURED

Myth: Most of the uninsured do not have health insurance because they are not working and so don’t have access to health benefits through an employer.

FACT: Most of the uninsured are either working full-time or have someone in their immediate family who does — the problem is that the majority of the uninsured are not offered benefits through their employers. Eight in ten uninsured Americans come from working families; even at lower income levels, the majority of the uninsured have workers in their families. However, 81% of uninsured workers are employed by firms who do not sponsor health benefits or are not eligible for their employer’s plan. Few workers, even low-wage workers, turn down health benefits when available.

Hey pea brain...YOU ignorantly blurted: 'Patients die, regardless of the quality or cost of care'.

You think Everyone that gets sick survives?

Hey pea brain...YOU ignorantly blurted: 'Patients die, regardless of the quality or cost of care'.

Of course not...BUT 'quality or cost of care' are major contributing factors.

If you had cancer, would early or late detection matter???

Why do you continue this uneducated emote? Are you that stupid?

More states should follow this line that MO took.

Its unconstitutional for the federal government to demand that I buy a product from a private company in order to be a citizen in good standing.

Still other things that could have been tried are the factors that result in the high costs in the first place, forgive me but it does seem rather one sided to try some solutions without trying others and expect a positive outcome.

What would you like to see tried that isn't being tried in some form under this law?

A few things actually Green among them interstate purchasing of health insurance plans, malpractice reform, the ability to purchase catastrophic Medicare coverage, limiting patents on perscription drugs, a Doc Fix from Medicare, financially stabilizing Medicare through targeted tax increases on high end goods and services. Personally, I'm of the opinion that if Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, etc, can afford to pay its executives salaries bonuses and then turn around and beg the American tax payers for money to save them then I see nothing wrong with having those same companies share the burden of Medicare for those same taxpayers that saved them. I am also of the opinion that if the costs of Medicine are shared it reduces the burden on companies and in the end results in more profitability for those companies because the burden of health coverage is eased. While I know there is no magic bullet here, I would never be in favor of a bill that mandates Americans purchase health insurance nor would I be in favor of a bill that puts a vast burden on the states through state Medicaid and eventually lowers the quaility of care, resulting in coverage with no one to care for them and other state services being cut, like polive, fire, teachers etc. in order to pay for the state Medicaid. So there you have it Green, while I am all for the goal of Americans having high quality healthcare, and able to afford it, and have access, the current edition seems to fall short of all those goals in a big way.

Its unconstitutional for the federal government to demand that I buy a product from a private company in order to be a citizen in good standing.

AMAZING loss of memory by right wing pea brains...

Health-care reform bill included big GOP idea: individual mandate

The Miami Herald

MIAMI — The 13-state lawsuit against the new health-care law is focused on a provision long advocated by conservatives, big business and the insurance industry.

The lawsuit, a Republican-led effort including Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna, focuses on the provision that virtually all Americans will need to have health insurance by 2014 or face penalties.

The lawsuit states the Constitution doesn't authorize such a mandate, the proposed tax penalty is unlawful and is an "unprecedented encroachment on the sovereignty of the states."

In fact, requiring each American to have health insurance was created by a conservative economist in the 1980s and slowly gathered momentum until the insurance industry embraced it in 2008.

Mark Pauly, a free-market economist at the University of Pennsylvania, said he came up with the proposal for the first Bush administration. His proposal required only catastrophic coverage — as an alternative to those pushing for all employers to offer insurance.

The idea was picked up in 2006 by Mitt Romney, who as Massachusetts governor crafted a health-care law that requires almost all state residents to have coverage.

"Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate," Romney wrote then in The Wall Street Journal. "But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride on government is not libertarian."

Days after Obama's landslide victory, America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), a trade group, made a stunning announcement: It favored universal coverage and supported a law that would stop insurers from rejecting applicants because of pre-existing conditions.

After being adamantly opposed to an overhaul during the Clinton years, AHIP said it had changed its mind — based on one condition: Any plan had to require that all individuals have insurance or pay stiff penalties.

AHIP's reasoning: Without an individual mandate, Americans could wait until they got sick and then sign up for insurance — a financially disastrous situation for insurance companies.

Nation & World | Health-care reform bill included big GOP idea: individual mandate

A Republican Idea

House Republicans continue to see the individual health care mandate as the most problematic and controversial provision in the Affordable Care Act. For right-wing activists, it represents an unprecedented assault on liberty. For right-wing grandstanders, it represents the basis for litigation. The whole idea is supposed to be so red-hot that it forces Dems to run in the other direction.

But as long as the GOP keeps pushing this, I'm inclined to remind them that the individual health care mandate is a Republican idea. It was always a Republican idea, ever since it started gaining traction in GOP circles in the 1970s.

Indeed, this isn't an idea Republicans were willing to tolerate in years past as part of negotiations with Democrats, but rather, this was an idea Republicans came up with.

The roster is pretty long of prominent Republicans who've either endorsed the individual mandate, voted for a plan with an individual mandate, co-sponsored legislation with an individual mandate, or all of the above. It includes George H.W. Bush, Richard Nixon, John McCain, Bob Dole, Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, Orrin Hatch, Chuck Grassley, Bob Bennett, Tommy Thompson, Lamar Alexander, Lindsey Graham, and Judd Gregg, among others.

All of them have supported an individual mandate -- a provision that Republicans now believe to be an unconstitutional freedom-killer that must be eliminated for the sake of American liberty.

As the GOP continues to hyperventilate over the mandate, keep this relevant detail in mind.

The Washington Monthly

The Miami Herald

MIAMI — The 13-state lawsuit against the new health-care law is focused on a provision long advocated by conservatives, big business and the insurance industry.

The lawsuit, a Republican-led effort including Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna, focuses on the provision that virtually all Americans will need to have health insurance by 2014 or face penalties.

The lawsuit states the Constitution doesn't authorize such a mandate, the proposed tax penalty is unlawful and is an "unprecedented encroachment on the sovereignty of the states."

In fact, requiring each American to have health insurance was created by a conservative economist in the 1980s and slowly gathered momentum until the insurance industry embraced it in 2008.

Mark Pauly, a free-market economist at the University of Pennsylvania, said he came up with the proposal for the first Bush administration. His proposal required only catastrophic coverage — as an alternative to those pushing for all employers to offer insurance.

The idea was picked up in 2006 by Mitt Romney, who as Massachusetts governor crafted a health-care law that requires almost all state residents to have coverage.

"Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate," Romney wrote then in The Wall Street Journal. "But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride on government is not libertarian."

Days after Obama's landslide victory, America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), a trade group, made a stunning announcement: It favored universal coverage and supported a law that would stop insurers from rejecting applicants because of pre-existing conditions.

After being adamantly opposed to an overhaul during the Clinton years, AHIP said it had changed its mind — based on one condition: Any plan had to require that all individuals have insurance or pay stiff penalties.

AHIP's reasoning: Without an individual mandate, Americans could wait until they got sick and then sign up for insurance — a financially disastrous situation for insurance companies.

Nation & World | Health-care reform bill included big GOP idea: individual mandate

A Republican Idea

House Republicans continue to see the individual health care mandate as the most problematic and controversial provision in the Affordable Care Act. For right-wing activists, it represents an unprecedented assault on liberty. For right-wing grandstanders, it represents the basis for litigation. The whole idea is supposed to be so red-hot that it forces Dems to run in the other direction.

But as long as the GOP keeps pushing this, I'm inclined to remind them that the individual health care mandate is a Republican idea. It was always a Republican idea, ever since it started gaining traction in GOP circles in the 1970s.

Indeed, this isn't an idea Republicans were willing to tolerate in years past as part of negotiations with Democrats, but rather, this was an idea Republicans came up with.

The roster is pretty long of prominent Republicans who've either endorsed the individual mandate, voted for a plan with an individual mandate, co-sponsored legislation with an individual mandate, or all of the above. It includes George H.W. Bush, Richard Nixon, John McCain, Bob Dole, Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, Orrin Hatch, Chuck Grassley, Bob Bennett, Tommy Thompson, Lamar Alexander, Lindsey Graham, and Judd Gregg, among others.

All of them have supported an individual mandate -- a provision that Republicans now believe to be an unconstitutional freedom-killer that must be eliminated for the sake of American liberty.

As the GOP continues to hyperventilate over the mandate, keep this relevant detail in mind.

The Washington Monthly

Just a thought here Bf, you know I make no bones about the fact that I am a Republican , however that does not mean I agree with every Republican idea that came down the pike especially that one. Of course the Insurance industry would be in favor of an individual mandate , why not, it forces people to buy their product, heck what business would not like to have a law that forces people to purchase from them. It still does not make it right. A bad idea is a bad idea, even if it comes from my own party or for that matter was adopted by the other party.

I have talked to 20+ Missouri people who all voted against the health-care law not the private insurance mandate. They do not like the 2,700 pages that lawyers won't even read or understand, complex bureaucracies & special deals for certain unions, states & groups. There are countless changes to the tax code that will simply kill small business. They will have to 1099 every store & vendor. Recieve a 1099 from every customer. Tax penalties for small corporations have gone throgh the roof. 17,000 new IRS agents hired to attack small business & this is just the start.

The Miami Herald

A Republican Idea

The Washington Monthly

Just a thought here Bf, you know I make no bones about the fact that I am a Republican , however that does not mean I agree with every Republican idea that came down the pike especially that one. Of course the Insurance industry would be in favor of an individual mandate , why not, it forces people to buy their product, heck what business would not like to have a law that forces people to purchase from them. It still does not make it right. A bad idea is a bad idea, even if it comes from my own party or for that matter was adopted by the other party.

As a liberal, I am not enthused with the outcome, especially in light of the way the debate started; with talk of a strong public option. IMO, the only solutions forwarded that would have benefited the average working man came from progressives and the left...single payer (which mistakenly was never on the table) to the public option...everything after that was more and more of the 'corporate' option.

I know you are a Republican Navy, but the Republicans were nothing but obstructionists. If you know the details and intent of the Frank Luntz memo, then you also understand that there was only the intent by Republicans to KILL reform and hand Obama his 'Waterloo'

I suggest you tear up your Republican affiliation card Navy, because any party that acts that unethical, irresponsible and divisive on a piece of legislation as important as health care borders on criminal.

I haven't always voted for Democrats in the past. But I don't see myself ever voting for a Republican again. The party has been taken over by zealots like Grover Norquist that are out to dismantle the middle class.

"We're going to crush labor as a political entity"
Grover Norquist - Republican economic guru

The Miami Herald

A Republican Idea

The Washington Monthly

How the hell does any of that make it constitutional? I would think you of all people would understand that just because the republicans do or back something doesn't make it right and constitutional.

Check my avatar, read my signature and dont mistake me for something I'm not.

Try getting out of that box once and a while man.

Last edited:

In the context of your absurd example, you don't seem to understand that people who don't have health insurance might be reluctant to SEEK care or receive health care. Their health might simply be the last thing on their minds.

Do you understand that people may not care for themselves?

On my planet, they might drink, smoke, and not even exercise!!:eek:

In the context of your absurd example, you don't seem to understand that people who don't have health insurance might be reluctant to SEEK care or receive health care. Their health might simply be the last thing on their minds.

Do they call inhibitants of your planet Samsonites?

Tough durable finishes, needing only an occassional waxing.

Do they call inhibitants of your planet Samsonites?

Tough durable finishes, needing only an occassional waxing.

If by "occasional," you mean weekly, then yes.

Forum List

Back