Wow Some on this Forum Will Love Seeing this...

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
... of course I am not one. First Grand Wizard of the KKK gets his own day in Tennessee. It started under Haslem, but it is up to the Governor of the state to renew it each year... How sad they are celebrating a man of his ilk.

66426657_694983330937009_4838999679419023360_n.jpg

He was an influential Tennessee delegate at the 1868 Democratic National Convention. Not surprised.

Just as long as they don't take away Lee-Jackson Day here in VA, its all good.....

... of course I am not one. First Grand Wizard of the KKK gets his own day in Tennessee. It started under Haslem, but it is up to the Governor of the state to renew it each year... How sad they are celebrating a man of his ilk.

Forrest was a complex character. On one hand fought for the Confederacy and was accused of a massacre of black prisoners at Fort Pillow. On the other hand after being drafted into the Klan as a figurehead to make it appear respectable, he abolished the organization and ordered all its regalia destroyed within half a year when the violence grew out of control.

Later he volunteered his services to hunt down and punish some yahoos who had lynched some blacks, and was invited by a black civil rights group to its public event where he kissed his black hostess on the cheek, a daring gesture at that time and place.

There's context... and then there's cherrypicking. Like posts 2 and 5 where they want to summarize an entire lifetime down to a couple of days.

Forrest was a complex character. On one hand fought for the Confederacy and was accused of a massacre of black prisoners at Fort Pillow. On the other hand after being drafted into the Klan as a figurehead to make it appear respectable, he abolished the organization and ordered all its regalia destroyed within half a year when the violence grew out of control.

Later he volunteered his services to hunt down and punish some yahoos who had lynched some blacks, and was invited by a black civil rights group to its public event where he kissed his black hostess on the cheek, a daring gesture at that time and place.

Wow, I didn't even know all of that.

Most historical reviews of him stop at his Klan thing and then that's it.

VERY complex character. Anyone who's into reading biographies, there's a tip.

Not saying whether he deserves his own day, statues, etc, but certainly a notable figure in history, especially Memphis, and worthy of far more than a superficial look.

Not saying whether he deserves his own day, statues, etc, but certainly a notable figure in history, especially Memphis, and worthy of far more than a superficial look.

This brings up the question of eventual redemption of other historical figures.

It also is the mirror image of the issues with people with a few skeletons in their closet who did otherwise good things. the whole MLK thing comes to mind.

It also is the mirror image of the issues with people with a few skeletons in their closet who did otherwise good things. the whole MLK thing comes to mind.

Kinda-sorta.

On the one hand, Robert E. Lee to pick one, didn't want statues of himself put up and has probably been demonized more than his full life story deserves too.

On the other hand these latter-day conspiracy theories about MLK have nothing to do with his public behavior or mission so that's just muckraking for the purpose of Composition Fallacy.

Kinda-sorta.

On the one hand, Robert E. Lee to pick one, didn't want statues of himself put up and has probably been demonized more than his full life story deserves too.

On the other hand these latter-day conspiracy theories about MLK have nothing to do with his public behavior or mission so that's just muckraking for the purpose of Composition Fallacy.

The MLK thing I see as an extension of the "One Bad Act" concept being used to go after people like Kavanaugh.

I am not so sure they rise to the level of conspiracy theory at this point.

Kinda-sorta.

The MLK thing I see as an extension of the "One Bad Act" concept being used to go after people like Kavanaugh.

The "One Bad Act concept" is what I'm loosely calling Association Fallacy, so same thing.

Some event in high school has nothing to do with judging capability, just as some alleged dalliance with mistresses has nothing to do with civil rights work. Not related.

I'm calling it conspiracy theory for lack of proof. Technically not "conspiracy", let's say "partisan mythology". And in that case especially curious since those partisans had just got done trying to tell the world "he was a Republican".

Kinda-sorta.

The "One Bad Act concept" is what I'm loosely calling Association Fallacy, so same thing.

Some event in high school has nothing to do with judging capability, just as some alleged dalliance with mistresses has nothing to do with civil rights work. Not related.

I'm calling it conspiracy theory for lack of proof. Technically not "conspiracy", let's say "partisan mythology". And in that case especially curious since those partisans had just got done trying to tell the world "he was a Republican".

From what I have read we will have to wait until 2027 for the tapes to be released (if they exist).

This is the best I could find on the topic, and it ain't much.

Did American outlets refuse to publish the MLK sex transcripts? | Spectator USA

History needs to be studied not erased.
Forrest, like many figures of the time were complex, and many changed their thinking and practices as the times changed in their lives.
Like Lee, Forrest was both great and terrible.
So why not celebrate the good the guy did and consider context and the times on the bad?

And BTW...anyone who would want to not renew the day should also want to rename schools like Malcom X University. No?

Kinda-sorta.

From what I have read we will have to wait until 2027 for the tapes to be released (if they exist).

This is the best I could find on the topic, and it ain't much.

Did American outlets refuse to publish the MLK sex transcripts? | Spectator USA

Thanks for the digging but it's still irrelevant, as already noted. Has no value except as a smear.

Forum List

Back