Wow Some on this Forum Will Love Seeing this...

History needs to be studied not erased.
Forrest, like many figures of the time were complex, and many changed their thinking and practices as the times changed in their lives.
Like Lee, Forrest was both great and terrible.
So why not celebrate the good the guy did and consider context and the times on the bad?

Precisely. There's no such thing as a one-dimensional figure, or one that can be defined by "b-but but he was a delegate at a convention". He was a very active character, he did a lot of things.

>> Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's [sic] group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.)

I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.
(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself.

I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

End of speech.

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

J.H. Sears, Charles Kelly Barrow "Black Southerners In Confederate Armies" (Pelican, 2007) << (link)

>> When Forrest died in 1877, Memphis newspapers reported that his funeral procession was over two miles long. The throng of mourners was estimated to include over 3,000 black citizens of Memphis. << (link 2)​

Forrest also ran a railroad which employed black former slaves and put some into supervisory positions, and implored the Memphis Board of Alderman (city council) to hire ex-slaves. He already had 65 in his military company when he surrendered.

He was a delegate at the 1868 Democratic Convention. He's all yours, dog.
Robert byrd was a left wing kkk senator whom hillary bragged about being her mentor, so this will be a piece of cake for them to swallow, for them it will be much ado about nothing.

Robert Byrd had never been "left wing" in his life. Moreover he left the Klan before he ever ran for office. Here you are pulling the same crapola of one-dimensional history and stretching time to do it.

Robert Byrd had never been "left wing" in his life. Moreover he left the Klan before he ever ran for office. Here you are pulling the same crapola of one-dimensional history and stretching time to do it.
like I said, "much ado about nothing" for the left..just another kkk member doing the right thing in their view.

Your intellectual sloth that puts a Robert Byrd in the "left wing" certainly is much ado about nothing. Can't even be bothered to press the Shift key.

Thanks for breaking a brain sweat. Deep, dood. Glad I brought my hip boots.

Forrest, like many figures of the time were complex, and many changed their thinking and practices as the times changed in their lives.
So why not celebrate the good the guy did and consider context and the times on the bad?

Precisely. There's no such thing as a one-dimensional figure, or one that can be defined by "b-but but he was a delegate at a convention". He was a very active character, he did a lot of things.

>> Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's [sic] group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.)

I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.
(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself.

I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

End of speech.

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

J.H. Sears, Charles Kelly Barrow "Black Southerners In Confederate Armies" (Pelican, 2007) << (link)

>> When Forrest died in 1877, Memphis newspapers reported that his funeral procession was over two miles long. The throng of mourners was estimated to include over 3,000 black citizens of Memphis. << (link 2)​

Forrest also ran a railroad which employed black former slaves and put some into supervisory positions, and implored the Memphis Board of Alderman (city council) to hire ex-slaves. He already had 65 in his military company when he surrendered.

Well for those that study history, there was an obvious shift in the political parties in the early 20th Century. It went from the Democrats being isolationist, small federal government and stronger state governments, to the Republicans wanting all that. It totally flipped in the 50s-60s when Democrats took on the civil rights movement along with the anti-war movement, while in turn Nixon began the war on drugs and beginning mass incarceration in the United States.

Your intellectual sloth that puts a Robert Byrd in the "left wing" certainly is much ado about nothing. Can't even be bothered to press the Shift key.

Thanks for breaking a brain sweat. Deep, dood. Glad I brought my hip boots.
Hip boots be good for spit stompin good times down at the ol byrd farm, gots me on that shift key thing though, so that's one for you.

(Applause.)

End of speech.

Well for those that study history, there was an obvious shift in the political parties in the early 20th Century. It went from the Democrats being isolationist, small federal government and stronger state governments, to the Republicans wanting all that. It totally flipped in the 50s-60s when Democrats took on the civil rights movement along with the anti-war movement, while in turn Nixon began the war on drugs and beginning mass incarceration in the United States.

Myth -
You are referencing the big switch - which did not happen
1%switched.
In the 60's it was still the Democrats against Civil Rights
The US Education system is all but a complete failure.

(Applause.)

End of speech.

Myth -
1%switched.

Nope, he's correct. Around the turn of the 19th/20th century the Republican Party gravitated toward the interests of the wealthy, the railroads and other corporations, embodied by McKinley. The Democrats were simultaneously absorbing the Populist Party and movement, the granges, the labor unions, immigrants and other minorities (the opposite pole), embodied by William Jennings Bryan, after experimenting with "fusion" parties. TR caused a brief interruption in that with his Progressive inclinations e.g. trust-busting -- he wasn't supposed to be in the script but ascended to the Presidency on McKinley's assassination. After his successor Taft took the party back to the corporate side TR ran against him in 1912, and came to the convention with the lion's share of delegates but the party didn't want that direction and stayed the corporate course. (TR ran anyway with a third party and pushed Taft to third place).

That left the Democrats as the only place to go for those immigrants, Jews, Catholics, blacks, working people etc, and it's been that way ever since. The LBJ push for Civil Rights in 1964 did exacerbate it but it had started decades earlier. All that really did in the big picture was drive the "solid South" to the Republican Party where it should have been anyway. As LBJ put it "we (Democrats) have lost the South for a generation", a time frame he underestimated.

However, considering the wackadoodle factor of your uninformed post, I'll agree with your last line that the education system is a failure. Doesn't seem to have done you any good, does it.

(Applause.)

End of speech.

Myth -
1%switched.

Nope, he's correct. Around the turn of the 19th/20th century the Republican Party gravitated toward the interests of the wealthy, the railroads and other corporations, embodied by McKinley. The Democrats were simultaneously absorbing the Populist Party and movement, the granges, the labor unions, immigrants and other minorities (the opposite pole), embodied by William Jennings Bryan, after experimenting with "fusion" parties. TR caused a brief interruption in that with his Progressive inclinations e.g. trust-busting -- he wasn't supposed to be in the script but ascended to the Presidency on McKinley's assassination. After his successor Taft took the party back to the corporate side TR ran against him in 1912, and came to the convention with the lion's share of delegates but the party didn't want that direction and stayed the corporate course. (TR ran anyway with a third party and pushed Taft to third place).

That left the Democrats as the only place to go for those immigrants, Jews, Catholics, blacks, working people etc, and it's been that way ever since. The LBJ push for Civil Rights in 1964 did exacerbate it but it had started decades earlier. All that really did in the big picture was drive the "solid South" to the Republican Party where it should have been anyway. As LBJ put it "we (Democrats) have lost the South for a generation", a time frame he underestimated.

However, considering the wackadoodle factor of your uninformed post, I'll agree with your last line that the education system is a failure. Doesn't seem to have done you any good, does it.

Not to mention, Nixon's 'Southern strategy' helped him win his election, and Trump and Bannon used their own form of the southern strategy to help them in 2016.

(Applause.)

End of speech.

Myth -
1%switched.

Not to mention, Nixon's 'Southern strategy' helped him win his election, and Trump and Bannon used their own form of the southern strategy to help them in 2016.

Yep, not to forget Ronald Reagan kicking off his 1980 campaign in of all places Philadelphia Mississippi, the site of the slaying of three civil rights martyrs, talking about "states rights".

"States rights" was the mantra of the Thurmonds and Wallaces and Maddoxes, held over from the Civil War that they were still living. In the mid-19th century the Democrats were the party of states rights and smaller centralized government while the Republicans, owing to their infusion of the defunct Whig party, were the bastion of doing big things with government. So there was Reagan doing his George Wallace impression as a way of pandering for that vote.

I suspect the Michael Jackson dood above gets his history lessons from YouTube commentary.

(Applause.)

End of speech.

Myth -
1%switched.

Yep, not to forget Ronald Reagan kicking off his 1980 campaign in of all places Philadelphia Mississippi, the site of the slaying of three civil rights martyrs, talking about "states rights".

"States rights" was the mantra of the Thurmonds and Wallaces and Maddoxes, held over from the Civil War that they were still living. In the mid-19th century the Democrats were the party of states rights and smaller centralized government while the Republicans, owing to their infusion of the defunct Whig party, were the bastion of doing big things with government. So there was Reagan doing his George Wallace impression as a way of pandering for that vote.

I suspect the Michael Jackson dood above gets his history lessons from YouTube commentary.

Even Trump said he was about giving states back the power, like with striking down Roe v. Wade, and letting the states make their own abortion laws. However, he seemed to have a brain fart when he suddenly decided he wanted Jeff Sessions to enforce federal drug laws on states that legalized weed... which I'm sure the fact that a lot of those states are the more liberal ones played a large part in that.

Bullshit. Democrats took on civil rights because they lost the fight against them. They couldn't keep blacks enslaved any more so they decided to enslave them to welfare instead. And it worked, they're still slaves.

(Applause.)

End of speech.

Myth -
1%switched.

lol what 'Southern Strategy' was that, exactly? Nixon pandered to every single Black Caucus platform the demanded and asked for. Where do you think quota systems, forced busing, the 'War On Drugs' everybody thinks came from 'Whitey' but actually came from Rangel and the Black Caucus, and the extension of the Civil Rights Acts to all 50 states came from? It wasn't from Democrats; they actually loved literacy tests and all that stuff, and sniveled about segregation being forced on them instead of just a few southern states. It wasn't until Nixon that Harlem had a black voter turnout that wasn't the same as Mississippi's. Same for California and all the other 'enlightened' northern states. Massachusetts had more violent anti-busing riots than the rest of the U.S.

And, state do have rights; whether or not some phony pseudo-intellectual neo-fascist Democrats like it or not is nothing real Americans need to care about.

... of course I am not one. First Grand Wizard of the KKK gets his own day in Tennessee. It started under Haslem, but it is up to the Governor of the state to renew it each year... How sad they are celebrating a man of his ilk.

66426657_694983330937009_4838999679419023360_n.jpg

Hey....dumb shit........

Gov. Bill Lee signs Nathan Bedford Forrest Day proclamation, is not considering law change

"I signed the bill because the law requires that I do that and I haven’t looked at changing that law," Lee said Thursday.
--------

"I haven’t even looked at that law, other than knowing I needed to comply with it, so that’s what I did," Lee said. "When we look at the law, then we’ll see."
-----
The statute instructs the governor to proclaim those three days of special observation,

... of course I am not one. First Grand Wizard of the KKK gets his own day in Tennessee. It started under Haslem, but it is up to the Governor of the state to renew it each year... How sad they are celebrating a man of his ilk.

Hey....dumb shit........

Gov. Bill Lee signs Nathan Bedford Forrest Day proclamation, is not considering law change

"I signed the bill because the law requires that I do that and I haven’t looked at changing that law," Lee said Thursday.
--------

"I haven’t even looked at that law, other than knowing I needed to comply with it, so that’s what I did," Lee said. "When we look at the law, then we’ll see."
-----
The statute instructs the governor to proclaim those three days of special observation,

I think you are mistaken, this thread isn't about guns. You must be lost.

Hey....dumb shit........

--------

-----

I think you are mistaken, this thread isn't about guns. You must be lost.

Hey, dipshit....you forgot to mention this....

The statute instructs the governor to proclaim those three days of special observation, along with Abraham Lincoln Day on Feb. 12,

I wonder why ANTIFA is not over there protesting in front of the governor's office?

I wonder why ANTIFA is not over there protesting in front of the governor's office?

Ummm.... becasuse Antifa would be protesting .... fascism?

What'd I win?

Forum List

Back