WSJ: US Trade deficit climbs 10%

Lol the republican counterargument is now “you thought my b-b-b-b-b-b-but Hillary was lame?! Well HAHA I win!” *trade deficit explodes*
You wrongly assume that I am a republican or that I believe the President has any real control over trade deficits.
:dunno:

The policies the President signs affects the economy, including the trade deficit.

If you believe Trump is responsible for the booming economy, then you must believe that Trump is responsible for the booming trade deficit because those two are directly linked.

Thank you Donald Trump & all the morons that voted for him. Thank you Republicans in Congress for not stepping in.

Trump's trade war hurting US manufacturers. Hurting US farmers.

When will it end? When will Trump supporters realize that Trump knows nothing about world economics or trade.

Care to point out how the trade policy is hurting manufacturing?

The only thing hurting US farmers are China’s tariffs. But you claim tariffs don’t work. So which is it?

I buy & sell products made from steel. When the steel tariffs were placed on China & Europe & Canada, etc, all the US steel manufacturers did was raise their prices. This caused prices to go up. Some ate some of that increase because their export customers would just get their goods no longer from the US. Either business was lost or it was no longer as profitable.

I know my profit margins for export dropped 60%.

Thank you Trump. Thank you all the dumbasses that elected him. He knows NOTHING about trade.

Thank you Donald Trump & all the morons that voted for him. Thank you Republicans in Congress for not stepping in.

When will it end? When will Trump supporters realize that Trump knows nothing about world economics or trade.

The only thing hurting US farmers are China’s tariffs. But you claim tariffs don’t work. So which is it?

Retaliatory tariffs. You understand that Trump was so fucking stupid that when countries put on retaliatory tariffs he was surprised?

As for hurting, sure Trump's tariffs hurt both sides but grow a fucking brain & realize who is paying for Trump's tariffs.

View attachment 248966 We seem to be losing the trade war.

Why? Because Americans have so much money they can buy lots of stuff? A “trade deficit” has got to be the lamest thing to get bent out of shape on.

Not out of shape at all. Pointing out the tariffs are not stopping the influx of goods from over-seas.
We’re told by the blob that trade deficits are bad. If a trade deficit of $100B is bad, a deficit one $110B is worse right? By that measure, we’re losing.

As a consumer of the goods of the world, the products, the food, the music, the art, the services…. I’m quite content spending my dollars where I get the most ROI.

I agree the tariffs aren’t enough. President Trump only implemented a small tariff on very limited goods. I hope he kicks it up a notch.

Classic stupidity
How so? Tariffs are the only way to bring manufacturing back to the US. Otherwise you fully support moving all manufacturing to China and other third world shitholes. Unless of course you have some brilliant solution to fix the “trade deficit”.

Wow You are saying our steel industry is so pathetic that it can't even compete with the Canadians.

We have laws against dumping. So quit making this as an excuse for Trump to destroy our economy.

Why? Because Americans have so much money they can buy lots of stuff? A “trade deficit” has got to be the lamest thing to get bent out of shape on.

Not out of shape at all. Pointing out the tariffs are not stopping the influx of goods from over-seas.
We’re told by the blob that trade deficits are bad. If a trade deficit of $100B is bad, a deficit one $110B is worse right? By that measure, we’re losing.

As a consumer of the goods of the world, the products, the food, the music, the art, the services…. I’m quite content spending my dollars where I get the most ROI.

I agree the tariffs aren’t enough. President Trump only implemented a small tariff on very limited goods. I hope he kicks it up a notch.

Classic stupidity
How so? Tariffs are the only way to bring manufacturing back to the US. Otherwise you fully support moving all manufacturing to China and other third world shitholes. Unless of course you have some brilliant solution to fix the “trade deficit”.

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

Simple to see that it didn’t work.

Your argument that raising the tariffs higher will work does have some merit I suppose if there were just 2 countries on earth; the US and everyone else.

What you ignore for some bizarre reason is highlighted in this example.

1. ACME used be based in Anytown, USA. They moved to China to operate cheaper, pay less and avoid our environmental laws.
  2. ACME makes a widget in China. They sell it to Wal*Mart who imports it to the US. The cost to Wal*Mart is $1.00. They sell it for $3.00.
  3. A Tariff is applied of 100%. So now the cost to Wal*Mart is $2.00. They will now sell it for $4 to maintain their profit margin of $2.00 per unit.
The thought is that ACME will move their manufacturing to the US or that Wal*Mart will buy from a US supplier and cut ACME out of the deal all together.

But here is what you and Trump and everyone else doesn’t get. ACME’s access to the US market is just a piece of it’s global balance sheet. They are selling to Europe, Asia, Central America, South America. Probably selling to Canada. There are consumers in all of those places as well. All of those nations are not in a trade war and they sell to Aldi, Wal*Mart, etc.. in those locales as well.

Thinking you’ll cajole them into moving back to the US, paying more for labor, land, compliance, etc… is frankly stupid. What is even more brazenly idiotic is now, that we’re putting tariffs on stuff from the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc…if they do move their plant back to Anytown, USA, they can’t sell competitively to the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc… because of the retaliatory tariffs they have place on American goods.

Any CEO of a multinational who has 2 brain cells will see there is no upside to moving back to the US. Especially since all of this tariff nonsense will be gone in 2-6 years. Why go through the pain of opening up a new plant just to have to shut it down in less than a decade?

How much did our GDP increase by last year? Did that idiot reporter tell you that? I honestly don't know but, I doubt it.

So, if our domestic spending increased by 600 Billion and our trade deficit increased by 60 Billion, what does that tell you?

Don't bother, dimocrap scum. I know you're incapable of independent thought. You're just NPC's afterall.

rx5fqpgbs9r11.png

And how much did borrowing increase....

All bad news is not magically Democratic and all good news is not from GOP...

The facts are that the Trump simplistic view of the world is nonsense. Trump has a zero sum game going on in his head, for me to win you must loose.

Problem is, trade can be mutually beneficial and most of the time is... this is the basis of conservative economics not something invented by Democrats....

The reason for the higher trade deficit might be companies are afraid of Trump putting tariffs on foreign goods. As a result, they are increasing their orders to create a cushion should Trump do it.

perhaps you do not much watch the news, but Trump has already put tariffs on foreign goods

He has not put tariffs on all products.

The reason for the higher trade deficit might be companies are afraid of Trump putting tariffs on foreign goods. As a result, they are increasing their orders to create a cushion should Trump do it.

perhaps you do not much watch the news, but Trump has already put tariffs on foreign goods

He has not put tariffs on all products.

You did not say “all” goods.

Quit moving the goal post

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Our trade deficits are skyrocketing. Our trade deficit with China is at the highest in history. Our trade deficit with Mexico is also exploding.

Our federal deficit has gone nuclear, rising 77 percent higher than last year!

Federal spending is at record highs, and the fake tax cut has reduced federal revenues.

President Clinton is an unmitigated disaster.

Oh wait...

U.S. trade gap with China reaches all-time high under Trump

The U.S. trade deficit in goods with China set a new record during President Donald Trump’s second year in office

Mexico can thank the US for its record-high trade surplus

Mexico sure is paying for TH3 WALLE, eh?

U.S. Trade Gap Surged to $621 Billion in 2018, Highest in Decade

Okay Drama Queen cool, now tell us how your quality of life has changed as a result of “EXPLODING” trade deficits. We’re standing by.

Because if it doesn't affect you personally, it's fake news, amirite? :113: You're so painfully stupid with your binary thinking. What a sad life you lead.

Classic stupidity

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

Your argument that raising the tariffs higher will work does have some merit I suppose if there were just 2 countries on earth; the US and everyone else.

1. ACME used be based in Anytown, USA. They moved to China to operate cheaper, pay less and avoid our environmental laws.
  2. ACME makes a widget in China. They sell it to Wal*Mart who imports it to the US. The cost to Wal*Mart is $1.00. They sell it for $3.00.
  3. A Tariff is applied of 100%. So now the cost to Wal*Mart is $2.00. They will now sell it for $4 to maintain their profit margin of $2.00 per unit.
The thought is that ACME will move their manufacturing to the US or that Wal*Mart will buy from a US supplier and cut ACME out of the deal all together.

But here is what you and Trump and everyone else doesn’t get. ACME’s access to the US market is just a piece of it’s global balance sheet. They are selling to Europe, Asia, Central America, South America. Probably selling to Canada. There are consumers in all of those places as well. All of those nations are not in a trade war and they sell to Aldi, Wal*Mart, etc.. in those locales as well.

Thinking you’ll cajole them into moving back to the US, paying more for labor, land, compliance, etc… is frankly stupid. What is even more brazenly idiotic is now, that we’re putting tariffs on stuff from the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc…if they do move their plant back to Anytown, USA, they can’t sell competitively to the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc… because of the retaliatory tariffs they have place on American goods.

Any CEO of a multinational who has 2 brain cells will see there is no upside to moving back to the US. Especially since all of this tariff nonsense will be gone in 2-6 years. Why go through the pain of opening up a new plant just to have to shut it down in less than a decade?

In other words you have no solution to the problem. Just write off all manufacturing jobs, yet still import loads of third world migrants.

I buy & sell products made from steel. When the steel tariffs were placed on China & Europe & Canada, etc, all the US steel manufacturers did was raise their prices. This caused prices to go up. Some ate some of that increase because their export customers would just get their goods no longer from the US. Either business was lost or it was no longer as profitable.

Thank you Trump. Thank you all the dumbasses that elected him. He knows NOTHING about trade.

You’re full of shit. You claim they are raising prices, yet this is causing the industry to lose business. I guess they aren’t smart enough to keep their prices lower and competitive.

You’re full of shit. You claim they are raising prices, yet this is causing the industry to lose business. I guess they aren’t smart enough to keep their prices lower and competitive.
You aren't actually this stupid, are you?

Oh, wait. That's right. You are.

Why do you think raising tariffs is called "protectionist"?

Think about it.

Think about it.
Protectionism is raising tariffs against like economies, like the EU. We don’t do that, yet the EU does use protectionism tariffs against the US. Funny how you anti-tariff dopes can never explain why EU tariffs against us aren’t a terrible idea.

You & Trump evidently were both that fucking stupid. They raised their prices. Ask any US manufacturer.

Think about it.
Protectionism is raising tariffs against like economies, like the EU. We don’t do that, yet the EU does use protectionism tariffs against the US. Funny how you anti-tariff dopes can never explain why EU tariffs against us aren’t a terrible idea.
The EU & US have a wide range of tariffs on each other.

Classic stupidity

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

In other words you have no solution to the problem. Just write off all manufacturing jobs, yet still import loads of third world migrants.
The solution is to remove Trump & his tariffs.

Think about it.
Protectionism is raising tariffs against like economies, like the EU. We don’t do that
We most certainly do!

Europe Feels the Squeeze of the Trump Trade Tariffs

Answer the question. Why do you think raising tariffs is called "protectionist"?

Read the article I just linked, and see if you can figure it out. Though I don't have much optimism you will.

The dollar is strong. We are buying more products from overseas. It’s that simple.

Dimms suck at econ 101.

Think about it.
The EU & US have a wide range of tariffs on each other.

Wrong. The EU has huge tariffs on the US. Just look at how much a US vehicle costs in Europe. Yet we have virtually no tariffs on the EU at all.

None of you moronic liberals has been able to explain how Europe’s manufacturing economy is doing so well. All while you claim US manufacturing is all going to “automation” only anyway.

Forum List

Back