Your Favorite Things About Israel

042a1cd11414111dac7acf64b85fe9f01d9e428e.png

If I forget you, O Yerushalayim, let my right hand wither
Psalms 137:5 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

im esh-ka-KHAYKH y’-ru-sha-LA-im tish-KAKH y’-mee-NEE

By the Rivers of Babylon

Psalm 137 was written by the rivers of Babylon, where the exiled Jews wailed and lamented the destruction of the Beit Hamikdash (Holy Temple). They wondered how they would continue to endure on foreign soil. How could they sing the songs of Hashem(God), which were supposed to be sung in the Temple, there? Their answer was an oath to never forget Yerushalayim (Jerusalem). This psalm makes an oblique reference to Deuteronomy 8:19, “If you do forget Hashem your God and follow other gods to serve them or bow down to them, I warn you this day that you shall certainly perish.” Israel’s exile came when they forgot God in their land. In Babylon, they promised themselves to never repeat that mistake, and to never forget Yerushalayim. Today, this psalm is recited at Jewish weddings just before the groom breaks a glass, ensuring that Jerusalem is always at the forefront of our minds and reminding us that no joyous occasion is complete until Yerushalayim is restored to its former glory.

Hashem rebuilds Yerushalayim; He gathers in the exiles of Yisrael
Psalms 147:2 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

bo-NEH ye-ru-sha-LAYIM a-do-NAI need-KHAY yis-ra-EL YEE-ka-nes

The Power of Psalms

Written by King David and ten elders, each psalm exposes the raw emotion of the Israelites attempting to feel God’s presence, while at the same time contending with external and internal foes. The medium of poetry, with its wordplays and metaphors, acrostics and flowery language, offers a universal subjective aspect to the written word. Each generation finds inspiration, spirit and solace in David’s song. Each psalm, according to tradition, while authored by human beings, nevertheless possesses a divine spark, a spiritual note.

But I have installed My king on Tzion, My holy mountain!
Psalms 2:6 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

VA-a-nee na-SAKH-tee mal-KEE al tzi-YON har kod-SHEE

Who is the anointed one of Israel?

As opposed to Psalm 1 which heralds the ‘man’ who walks in the ways of Hashem (God), Psalm 2 is directed to nations and kings, rebuking those derelict peoples who reject the Lord and seek to destroy Israel. The Sages suggest various possibilities to explain to which enemy the psalm refers: Nimrod, Pharaoh, or Gog and Magog. But regardless who the enemy is, he is ultimately doomed to destruction. Hashem has chosen a king from among the children of Israel who will serve as His anointed one on Tzion, His holy mountain. Once the people of Israel conquer and settle the land, the anointed one, king of Israel, will assume the role of defender of his people and will protect Israel from harm.

May Hashem, maker of heaven and earth, bless you from Tzion
Psalms 134:3 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

ye-va-re-khe-KHA a-do-NAI m'-TZEE-on O-seh sha-ma-YEEM va-A-retz

Society and Spirituality

Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch notes how similar in size, and complementary in message, this psalm is to the previous one. Each of these short psalms contains only three verses and focuses on Israel’s dwelling in the Land of Israel. However, Psalm 133 speaks of the interpersonal element, while Psalm 134 reminds us that the spiritual element must be present as well. Psalm 133 presents the social component of Zionism, which is how the land was built up in the modern era: “How good and how pleasant it is that brothers dwell together.” And each of the verses of Psalm 134 speaks of blessing Hashem (God), to remind us that the spiritual component of returning to the land must complement the social one. When both aspects are present, says Hirsch, God will bring down the heavenly blessing from Tzion (Zion).

Forum List

Back