Your Favorite Things About Israel

Even as I pour water on thirsty soil, And rain upon dry ground, So will I pour My spirit on your offspring, My blessing upon your posterity
Isaiah 44:3 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

KEE e-tzak MA-yim al tza-MAY v’-no-z’-LEEM al ya-ba-SHAH e-TZOK ru-KHEE al zar-E-kha u-vir-kha-TEE al tze-e-tza-E-kha

The Power of Water

Water is often used as a metaphor for Torah (Bible). Just as water leaves a high place and flows downward to a low place, so does Torah knowledge flow away from those who are arrogant and toward those who are humble. Furthermore, just as water nourishes and sustains thirsty soil and dry ground, the Bible is the source of our spiritual nourishment.

b43e1346dfc6120183cba3d28f112279533ecd27.png

Hashem named you “Verdant olive tree, Fair, with choice fruit.” But with a great roaring sound He has set it on fire, And its boughs are broken
Jeremiah 11:16 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

ZA-yit ra-a-NAN y’-FAY f’-ree TO-ar ka-RA a-do-NAI sh’-MAYKH l’-KOL ha-mu-LAH
g’-do-LAH hi-TZEET AYSH a-LE-ha v’-ra-U da-li-yo-TAV

What Can We Learn From Olives?

The first time the olive tree is mentioned in the Bible is when Noach (Noah) checks to see is the flood waters have receded. When the dove returns with an olive branch in its mouth, Noach knows that new life has begun. Pure olive oil was also used for the lighting of the golden menorah in the Beit Hamikdash (Holy Temple), as well as to anoint priests and kings. One lesson we can take from the olive is just like an olive yields oil only when pressed, so too, as human beings, when we are pressed between the millstones of life, our best selves emerge. Often, we rise to the occasion to meet life's tests only when challenged.

Grandchildren are the crown of their elders, And the glory of children is their parents
Proverbs 17:6 (The Israel Bible™)

Hear the verse in Hebrew

a-TE-ret z’-kay-NEEM b’-NAY va-NEEM v’-tif-E-ret ba-NEEM a-vo-TAM

Grandchildren and the Land

This verse extols the blessing of grandchildren, much like Psalms 128:5: "May you share the prosperity of Yerushalayim all the days of your life, and live to see your children's children." It has been suggested that this verse should be understood as a command rather than a promise: See the good of Yerushalayim (Jerusalem). We must emphasize and talk about what is special and good in the Land of Israel, instead of complaining and focusing on the negative. If that is how we relate to the land, and that is the message that we pass down to our children and grandchildren, there is hope for a future in which peace will be upon Israel.

Forum List

Back