Your Overtime Has Just Been Cut

Actually "free" overtime has been cut

Sucks for business doesn't it?

Hourly paid people always got overtime.

Salaried people have been traditionally expected to work up to 45 hours a week but if they work only 36 they don't get a decrease in pay that week.

It balances out

Actually, it doesn't balance out as salaried people are expected to work uncompensated hours and are rarely, if ever, given 36 hour weeks

If it's spelled out in the contract then tough shit.

Salaried people have been traditionally expected to work up to 45 hours a week but if they work only 36 they don't get a decrease in pay that week.

It balances out

Actually, it doesn't balance out as salaried people are expected to work uncompensated hours and are rarely, if ever, given 36 hour weeks

Guess what,people that are on salaries don't need people like yourself telling us what we need or want. Now go crawl back under your time clock.

It balances out

You are a hourly worker I bet. I have been on salary for years, some weeks I work 50 -60 hours, some weeks I am done by wednesday afternoon and take a long weekend, depends on the work load. Also I get a better benefits package and higher % for bonuses.

Last edited:

It balances out

If it's spelled out in the contract then tough shit.

And if the law changes on who is entitled to overtime then tough shit

It balances out

You are a hourly worker I bet. I have been on salary for years, some weeks I work 50 -60 hours, some weeks I am done by wednsday afternoon and take a long weekend, depends on the work load. Also I get a better benefits package and higher % for bonuses.

Working as a salaried, FLSA exempt worker for 35 years. I have Never, Ever been sent home on a Wednesday for a long weekend

I have worked many, many Saturdays though

Many people use overtime pay as a kind of savings or second job. In a rising economy overtime goes up before employment, because its cheaper to work the people you've got than hire new ones.
Well, that just went away. Increase the cost of something, you get less of it. Basic Econ 101, something this president just doesn't understand.
Obama to order strengthened overtime pay rules

Really? You mean I don't have to work the two twelve hour days I am scheduled for this weekend? Would you tell my boss that? :lol:

I was on salary from 1970 until 2003, when I retired.

Anytime I had to work extra hours, I did, and whenever I needed time off, the company was almost always happy to give it to me.

I got paid for some overtime, but it was mostly time off, which I could use at my convenience.

The overtime for which I did get paid and which I enjoyed the most was the time when along with fellow salaried staff we crossed picket lines and did the job union employees abandoned in order to strike. The work we did avoided the company to close down two different manufacturing plants, one in 1972, the other in 2002.

So before any unionist here starts yelling "SCAB", keep in mind that the 'scabs' saved the jobs of the strikers.

Last edited:
I'll work as much as I want and Obama will never know it.

He's an idiot for ever thinking he can make something like this stick.

Did you see where he is going to somehow direct contractors to pay 10.10 as a minimum wage ?

What a joke. Nobody I know who works for the government through contracting makes less than 13 an hour.

it's all window dressing.

And he is doing it all by presidential order.

I think I'll work this Saturday just for the fun of it.

I'll work as much as I want and Obama will never know it.

He's an idiot for ever thinking he can make something like this stick.

Yea.....Stick it to Obama

Work for free...it will drive him nuts

You are a hourly worker I bet. I have been on salary for years, some weeks I work 50 -60 hours, some weeks I am done by wednsday afternoon and take a long weekend, depends on the work load. Also I get a better benefits package and higher % for bonuses.

Working as a salaried, FLSA exempt worker for 35 years. I have Never, Ever been sent home on a Wednesday for a long weekend

Explains everything. You're a state worker. No one wonder you love it like a father. After that.... tissue?

I was on salary from 1970 until 2003, when I retired.

Anytime I had to work extra hours, I did, and whenever I needed time off, the company was almost always happy to give it to me.

I got paid for some overtime, but it was mostly time off, which I could use at my convenience.

The overtime for which I did get paid and which I enjoyed the most was the time when along with fellow salaried staff we crossed picket lines and did the job union employees abandoned in order to strike. The work we did avoided the company to close down two different manufacturing plants, one in 1972, the other in 2002.

So before any unionist here starts yelling "SCAB", keep in mind that the 'scabs' saved the jobs of the strikers.

Unions stopped representing workers decades ago. Now, they represent themselves and their dimocrap party lapdogs.

Here is my take.
1) Require OT pay for low wage salaried middle managers? -- YES. But not as an executive order.
2) For small businesses? - Easy, simply make an exception for privately owned business with less than X number of employees. There goes the "all small businesses will crash and burn theory" Will this happen? - F*ck no. Obama will however give exceptions to pet companies and campaign contributors. Wait and see.
3) If this went how it is intended, with small business exceptions, how the hell can you not support people getting paid for the hours they work???

It is your choice.

If I were an employer with a number of salaried employees and most were working more then 40 hours I'd look at their supervisors first to determine why
the workload requires this extra hours.

I then would look at those employees working more 40 hours and assess their contribution to over all profits.
Then when I signed up any future employees the employees would acknowledge that if they worked over 40 hours and their work contributed xx% to profits
I would upon termination pay a bonus less the Job Experience Value. (JEV).

JEV is a value assigned to the experiences the salaried employee GAINED under my employment.
For example, the employee started as an hourly customer service rep. (CSR) and upon leaving was VP of Customer Support.
With that growth in experience the leaving employee was able to based on industry standards have a salary at any comparable job of XX% more then the
employee's starting hourly wage.
Thus the Termination bonus would be less what the JEV amount is, i.e. assume hourly wage at start was $10.00 and when the employee left was making
$70,000 this was 336% increase in pay. And thus while the salaried employee might have worked an average of 20 hrs/week more the JEV gave the employee
job experiences worth the employee's new standard of pay of say $100,000 at the next job.

So the termination bonus will be less the JEV and in MOST cases the bonus will be zero.

How does this happen without congress?

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.

Care to cite the pertinent Statute verbatim or are you just talking out of your stupid ass?

That's what I thought.

Just another stupid dimocrap, on his knees worshiping his master

He is changing the definition of supervisor and the salary threshold that allows the company to determine that you are no longer eligible for overtime pay. The act does give him this ability through regulatory agencies – one more example of how congress has shifted its responsibilities over to the president so they do not have to do their job.

Why do we even bother with separation of powers – obviously the government does as much as it can to get rid of it.

Many people use overtime pay as a kind of savings or second job. In a rising economy overtime goes up before employment, because its cheaper to work the people you've got than hire new ones.
Well, that just went away. Increase the cost of something, you get less of it. Basic Econ 101, something this president just doesn't understand.
Obama to order strengthened overtime pay rules

I don't think forcing employers to pay employees more works. We need policies that create a better environment. We need incentives to have more workers here, not forced higher wages. We get a better environment and wages will come.

Forum List

Back