Your Rights Dont Matter

This is just another example of people not understanding their rights, but thinking they do. People learn your rights...

What did he get wrong? People have the absolute right to ask police if they are being detained whenever they are stopped. The fact that the cop said he wasn't being detained, and then claimed he was not free to leave, showed that the cop was the one that didn't understand the law.

No in fact you are wrong sir, and so was the driver.

Detained is a legal term. SCOTUS has ruled that the brief time taken to initially question each driver does not arise to the level of detainment and in order for an officer to then detain a driver he THEN must have a reasonable suspicion to do so.

So legally speaking you are not detained when you roll through a check point.

This is just another example of people not understanding their rights, but thinking they do. People learn your rights...

What did he get wrong? People have the absolute right to ask police if they are being detained whenever they are stopped. The fact that the cop said he wasn't being detained, and then claimed he was not free to leave, showed that the cop was the one that didn't understand the law.

Detained is a legal term. SCOTUS has ruled that the brief time taken to initially question each driver does not arise to the level of detainment and in order for an officer to then detain a driver he THEN must have a reasonable suspicion to do so.

And when you stop 'rolling'?

By definition , the Supreme Court can't be wrong about what they rule Constitutional and unconstitutional. I mean they ARE the definition.

You may not like their ruling, but that is irrelevant, they are right no matter how they rule.

Yet they have actually reversed their decisions occasionally. If, by definition, they were right when they ruled one way, and still right when they ruled the other way, the definition is wrong.

Want to try again?

What? Do you have kids?

If you tell them they can't go out and play then later you say "okay you can go out and play" were you right both times, wrong both times, or right one time and wrong the other?

Like it or not, the COTUS is the Supreme Court's "child" they are empowered to raise it how they would like.

the constitution gives us the right to travel, without gvt interference, right???

Sure does, and you can walk wherever your heart desires when you are no longer allowed to drive.
I'm just trying to figure out what MadScientist was trying to say early on in the thread, about making certain you say you are traveling and not driving???

the constitution gives us the right to travel, without gvt interference, right???

Sure does, and you can walk wherever your heart desires when you are no longer allowed to drive.
I'm just trying to figure out what MadScientist was trying to say early on in the thread, about making certain you say you are traveling and not driving???

if you say you are driving, a smart ass cop can say "you don't have a right to drive"

If you say I am traveling, a smart ass cop can suck a dick.

How does that make me wrong? I said the cop didn't understand the law because he contradicted himself. All he had to do was say, no, you are not being detained, but this checkpoint is for us to check license and insurance in an attempt to generate money for the city from poor people that cannot afford insurance. In order to facilitate that the state has allowed us to set up these bogus safety checkpoints to look for people who are driving without insurance. We would appreciate it if you showed your license and insurance now.

He thinks he's slick.

Spoiler: He's not.

if you say you are driving, a smart ass cop can say "you don't have a right to drive"

If you say I am traveling, a smart ass cop can suck a dick.

Actually, a smart ass cop can tell you to find another method to do so, if he's truly a smart ass.

All he had to do was say, no, you are not being detdetained, but this checkpoint is for us to check license and registration in an attempt to generate money for the city from poor people that cannot afford insurance. In order to facilitate that the state has allowed us to set up these bogus safety checkpoints to look for people who are driving without insurance. We would appreciate it if you showed your license and registration now.

LOL - freedom of information laws should require this statement.

Rebellion is meaningless without a clear purpose. The jackass in the OP was just being a jackass.

Had the cop actually been engaged in unethical behavior, I'd have been in the front row of the cheering section. But being a dickhead for the sake of being a dickhead and then self-promoting such dickheadedness is idiotic, just like the suckers that buy into the garbage.

Meaningless? It's got everyone here talking about Constitutional rights. I don't call that 'meaningless'.

Rebellion is meaningless without a clear purpose. The jackass in the OP was just being a jackass.

Had the cop actually been engaged in unethical behavior, I'd have been in the front row of the cheering section. But being a dickhead for the sake of being a dickhead and then self-promoting such dickheadedness is idiotic, just like the suckers that buy into the garbage.

Meaningless? It's got everyone here talking about Constitutional rights. I don't call that 'meaningless'.

People don't need to act like a dickhead to start a conversation... especially on a political messageboard. So yeah I call that pretty damned meaningless.

How does that make me wrong? I said the cop didn't understand the law because he contradicted himself. All he had to do was say, no, you are not being detained, but this checkpoint is for us to check license and insurance in an attempt to generate money for the city from poor people that cannot afford insurance. In order to facilitate that the state has allowed us to set up these bogus safety checkpoints to look for people who are driving without insurance. We would appreciate it if you showed your license and insurance now.

How did the cop contradict himself? The driver asked if he was detained. The cop said no. The driver then asked if he was free to go, he again was told no.

He was not being detained, but that does not mean he was free to go. SCOTUS has ruled that police can use these checkpoints to stop drivers for a minimal amount of time without it being a detention.

If the asshole driver was such a legal beagle he would have known that.

That's why I said, know your rights. Generally speaking if the police keep you in place for more than 5 minutes you are being detained, less than 5 minutes , no detainment.

The difference in the two is that the police MUST have a reasonable belief that you have committed a crime to detain you, no such requirement is needed to simply stop you .

The driver, and you, are wrong. He was NOT being detained, he may have believed he was being detained, and you may believe it, but words have meanings and this guy was not detained.

Last edited:

People don't need to act like a dickhead to start a conversation... especially on a political messageboard. So yeah I call that pretty damned meaningless.

They don't "need" to, but it's always an option. :) And the more government encroaches on our rights, the more we should avail ourselves of the "dickhead" tact.

They don't "need" to, but it's always an option. :) And the more government encroaches on our rights, the more we should avail ourselves of the "dickhead" tact.

yeah man I'm with you, because that poor asshole cop who's working the 2 am sobriety check point is the one who made the laws..............

Technically I agree with that statement, with the caveat that first they need to encroach on our rights.

Forum List

Back