🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Your thoughts on this? ("Should we really still be calling it ‪'Columbus Day?'‬")

Well, Columbus opened up a "New World" to Europeans who were running out of options in the old one, eventually enabling the formation of the first country whose purpose was to let ordinary people do what they want and sink or swim by their own efforts. A country that rose in record time from a colonial backwater to the most prosperous, safest, and freest one the world had ever seen... and DESPITE the numerous mistakes and atrocities its people committed (slavery, Indian wars, racism etc.). And even despite the Vikings finding the place in the 1100's, and then abandoning it and forgetting about it.

We should call that day something. And "Independence Day" was already taken. So why not name it after the guy who first started the process?

Don't bother listening to the people who can only see the mistakes while ignoring the massive prosperity and freedom, and the proof that people operating with minimal government (as it mostly was till the late 1930s) could achieve far more good than people oppressed under Big Government.

Last edited:
If not for Columbus, the indians would still be living in teepees and living as hunter-gatherers. They should thank their lucky stars that he showed up.

The arrival of europeans was the best thing that ever happened to the injuns. They were so primitive that no north american tribe even had a written language!!! They were savages living in trees and eating bugs and dying at 32. Now they have the white man giving them welfare and affirmative action and all sorts of special treatment. Their life is far better now than it was 600 years ago.

Injuns should worship coumbus.

Really? I don't have an excuse to get paid for not working, so, who cares about Columbus day? I remember back in Denver when Russell Means and their ilk tried to create a race riot to hide their hatred of Anglos. I watched theses bastards and I know what hypocrites Indians, Backs and Hispanic activists really are. They are their own worst enemies. Not whittie.

Last edited:
It was a watershed of human history which spawned a new age, including the ideas we hold dear today, reinvoking the ideas of democracy and eventually the downfall of Old-World traditions of peonage and slavery.
All it really had to do is with Europeans being cut off from Constantinople after the Turks conquered it and they needed a new path to Asian delicacies..African gold and diamonds, slaves, coffee and spices...
The Portuguese already was checking out West Africa...

It was a watershed of human history which spawned a new age, including the ideas we hold dear today, reinvoking the ideas of democracy and eventually the downfall of Old-World traditions of peonage and slavery.
All it really had to do is with Europeans being cut off from Constantinople after the Turks conquered it and they needed a new path to Asian delicacies..African gold and diamonds, slaves, coffee and spices...
You are an idiot. There were certainly no slaves, coffee or diamonds coming from the Orient. It was called the "Silk Road" after all, and Spain had little to do with it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with nincompoops.

Columbus discovered a country!

:lol::lol::lol:

That's laugh-out-loud funny.

BTW, don't forget to thank the Democrats for Columbus Day. If they think "systematic genocide" deserves a holiday, well, who's to judge, eh.

Really? I don't have an excuse to get paid for not working, so, who cares about Columbus day? I remember back in Denver when Russell Means and their ilk tried to create a race riot to hide their hatred of Anglos. I watched theses bastards and I know what hypocrites Indians, Backs and Hispanic activists really are. They are their own worst enemies. Not whittie.
You are an idiot. There were certainly no slaves, coffee or diamonds coming from the Orient. It was called the "Silk Road" after all, and Spain had little to do with it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with nincompoops.
no coffee? The earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the 15th century, in the Sufi Muslim monasteries around Mocha in Yemen

Columbus got lost and put in to land he stumbled across, thought it was India so called the owners of the land "Indians".

It was stupid to call an American holiday "Columbus Day" and its stupid to give part of the country a paid day off to celebrate some fool who didn't even use a sextant correctly.

Yes, we should celebrate Columbus Day. Columbus opened up the Americas to exploration and enabled millions of people to build better lives for themselves and their children. The day honors Italian Americans as well as the beginnings of America.

The so-called Native Americans were they themselves the result of an earlier immigration from Asia...and not the peaceful Dance With Wolves version that the OP likely believes.

Columbus got lost and put in to land he stumbled across, thought it was India so called the owners of the land "Indians".

It was stupid to call an American holiday "Columbus Day" and its stupid to give part of the country a paid day off to celebrate some fool who didn't even use a sextant correctly.

^^^^ Speaking of Stooooooopid ^^^^

If not for Columbus, the indians would still be living in teepees and living as hunter-gatherers. They should thank their lucky stars that he showed up.

Yep the European gave them the christian diseases of syphilis and small pox

Forum List

Back