🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Your thoughts on this? ("Should we really still be calling it ‪'Columbus Day?'‬")

Really? I don't have an excuse to get paid for not working, so, who cares about Columbus day? I remember back in Denver when Russell Means and their ilk tried to create a race riot to hide their hatred of Anglos. I watched theses bastards and I know what hypocrites Indians, Backs and Hispanic activists really are. They are their own worst enemies. Not whittie.
It was a watershed of human history which spawned a new age, including the ideas we hold dear today, reinvoking the ideas of democracy and eventually the downfall of Old-World traditions of peonage and slavery.
All it really had to do is with Europeans being cut off from Constantinople after the Turks conquered it and they needed a new path to Asian delicacies..African gold and diamonds, slaves, coffee and spices...
The Portuguese already was checking out West Africa...
You are an idiot. There were certainly no slaves, coffee or diamonds coming from the Orient. It was called the "Silk Road" after all, and Spain had little to do with it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with nincompoops.
no coffee? The earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the 15th century, in the Sufi Muslim monasteries around Mocha in Yemen
Clearly, that would explain why they would want to establish a trade route to China or India. Not only were they looking for African slaves, but for coffee.

WTF is wrong with you?

If not for Columbus, the indians would still be living in teepees and living as hunter-gatherers. They should thank their lucky stars that he showed up.

Yep the European gave them the christian diseases of syphilis and small pox
Small pox yes. Syphilis came from the Americas. The modern scourges, AIDS and Ebola come from Africans eating monkeys.

If not for Columbus, the indians would still be living in teepees and living as hunter-gatherers. They should thank their lucky stars that he showed up.

Oh look, another factoid from Boy Blunder.

Smallpox predates Christianity, and syphilis emerged in the Americas before European contact.

If genocide happened where did the Indians today migrate from? India I suppose?

It doesn't have to total to be called genocide. There are Jews and Armenians around, even though each group was subjected to its own genocide.

Small pox yes. Syphilis came from the Americas. The modern scourges, AIDS and Ebola come from Africans eating monkeys.
I thought they were fucking the monkeys.

I thought they were fucking the monkeys.
I don't know. The closer the prey, the more dangerous. Pigs have a nervous system which approximates human, so in warmer climates it is clear why they are non kosher or not halal. Neither religion envisioned the eating of monkeys.

Columbus, though a Genoian, sailed for Spain, a country whose colonizers intermarried with the Indians, instead of killing them all, like the English did in North America. Consequently, if there is to be someone to be celebrated for the discovery of America, I would rather it be Columbus, rather than one of the New England Puritans, whose idea of negotiation with the Natives was to kill them all, like the did to the Pequot's.

Sure, why not. And when the Mexicans finally take over the US it can replace the 4th of July.

It may seem trivial now, when flying over the Atlantic ocean takes a few hours, with free drinks, but 500 years ago, it took some balls. Hurricanes ...no satellite weather maps...no GPS .. no fresh food ... scurvy .. no modern medicine ... heck, for all Columbus knew, the flat earthers were right. He get's his own day for having gumption.

Columbus, though a Genoian, sailed for Spain, a country whose colonizers intermarried with the Indians, instead of killing them all, like the English did in North America. Consequently, if there is to be someone to be celebrated for the discovery of America, I would rather it be Columbus, rather than one of the New England Puritans, whose idea of negotiation with the Natives was to kill them all, like the did to the Pequot's.
You, like the other guy are idiots. Cortes and the other conquistadors were the foundation of the Black Legend. Far worse than anything that the English did.

There is an insufferable self-flagellation on the part of some people. As a white, please keep your guilt to yourself. I hate whiners!

It may seem trivial now, when flying over the Atlantic ocean takes a few hours, with free drinks, but 500 years ago, it took some balls. Hurricanes ...no satellite weather maps...no GPS .. no fresh food ... scurvy .. no modern medicine ... heck, for all Columbus knew, the flat earthers were right. He get's his own day for having gumption.

I imagine by Columbus's time most sailors realized the earth was round. But, yeah,it was an amazing feat.

We would be much better off.

Columbus got lost and put in to land he stumbled across, thought it was India so called the owners of the land "Indians".

It was stupid to call an American holiday "Columbus Day" and its stupid to give part of the country a paid day off to celebrate some fool who didn't even use a sextant correctly.
Columbus did not even 'discover' America. there were others here before him.

Forum List

Back