100 Greatest Singers of All Time

really?..... yet he still sold over a hundred million of those chunks....only 25 artist have him beat......hey.....just sayin....

Yeah well Bruce Springstein sold records by the bucketful too so clearly that's no measure of talent.

hey as long as someone out there is buying your shit.....and you reach a hundred million in sales....you are going to be considered successful....and you are going to be called ..."great"....what ya going to do?.....fucking Madonna has sold 300 million records....do you consider her a great rock n roller?.....

Actually in a way I do. Not a memorable voice, but when it comes to putting a piece of music and video and performance together the woman knows exactly what she's doing and goes in with a vision, like the end product or not. And I respect that.

The Springsteins and the pop tarts and stuff that "sells", I consider that commercial pap that's been marketed by saturation campaigns without which a lot of it couldn't stand on its own. That's not the case with, say, Madonna.

Neil Diamond was a good and prolific songwriter and good singer whose body of work is mostly worthy; I'm just saying the number of records he sold is no way to arrive at that conclusion. When you consider that pop music is a business that sells commodities, sales and talent are simply unrelated.

It's funny, how I thought Carly Simon was completely lame when I was young. Ray Charles as well. And then I reached a certain age, and I finally got it.

Especially this one.

Carly Simon - That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be - 1971 - YouTube

Our taste in music changes over time and I have enjoyed many on that list. Currently one of my favorite singers is Rhiannon Giddens. She sang opera for several years...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwCnyjblneQ]Rhiannon Giddens Laffan - Oh Holy Night - Holiday concert - YouTube[/ame]

Then she expanded her interests.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDCWQtxV6JE]"Hit 'em Up Style" as performed by The Carolina Chocolate Drops - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah well Bruce Springstein sold records by the bucketful too so clearly that's no measure of talent.

hey as long as someone out there is buying your shit.....and you reach a hundred million in sales....you are going to be considered successful....and you are going to be called ..."great"....what ya going to do?.....fucking Madonna has sold 300 million records....do you consider her a great rock n roller?.....

Actually in a way I do. Not a memorable voice, but when it comes to putting a piece of music and video and performance together the woman knows exactly what she's doing and goes in with a vision, like the end product or not. And I respect that.

The Springsteins and the pop tarts and stuff that "sells", I consider that commercial pap that's been marketed by saturation campaigns without which a lot of it couldn't stand on its own. That's not the case with, say, Madonna.

Neil Diamond was a good and prolific songwriter and good singer whose body of work is mostly worthy; I'm just saying the number of records he sold is no way to arrive at that conclusion. When you consider that pop music is a business that sells commodities, sales and talent are simply unrelated.

right.....but no one is forcing anyone to buy their records or go to their concerts.....i know people who think Springsteen is fucking great....hey its all what ya like.....

The guy from Rush sucks. Dylan, Cocker and Steve Tyler suck. Freddy Mercury definately sucks. That's probably what got him killed. Sly Stone? Did he even show up to sing? Lou Reed doesn't even sing, he talks. Bono, fuckin' give me a break.

If you want to talk about good singers, here's who I'd put before anyone on that list (except for maybe Aretha, or Otis, or Gregg)

saw Freddy 3 times in the 70's live....the guy was a pretty dam good singer.....

When people trash talk such shit, I'm like "Okay. What. For example. In what sense, on what planet, by what measure has Freddie Mercury EVER sucked in a musical sense. Because we all know what he did suck, and that has nothing to do with his talent."

right.....but no one is forcing anyone to buy their records or go to their concerts.....i know people who think Springsteen is fucking great....hey its all what ya like.....

This song - it's another one where I just went OMG. If I were singing my pain, this would be my song.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2eE9H7Nzww]Trapped - Bruce Springsteen - Paris 85 - YouTube[/ame]

When people trash talk such shit, I'm like "Okay. What. For example. In what sense, on what planet, by what measure has Freddie Mercury EVER sucked in a musical sense. Because we all know what he did suck, and that has nothing to do with his talent."
I never saw it. I didn't like his songs. I didn't like his singing. I've never liked anything Queen did. I always thought of their music as a gay mans Pink Floyd. I'm not into opera shit! Choirs don't rock. And Queen sucks!

Maybe if I saw them live, I would think different. But I didn't and it is, what it is.

This song - it's another one where I just went OMG. If I were singing my pain, this would be my song.

Trapped - Bruce Springsteen - Paris 85 - YouTube
Bruce is someone I didn't like at first. I thought he just rambles on and on and on...

I had no intention of getting into him (or his music). I had a lot of negative shit to say about him and all my friends had to listen to it. And they all had the same response...

...go see him!

So I did. It was the greatest concert I've ever been to in my entire life. Nothing even comes close. He played for 5-1/2 hours and as we were walking out to the car, people were coming out completely drenched like they came out of a swimming pool and just screaming at the top of their lungs, "owooooo!" "yeaaaaahhh", just screaming like the concert was still going on. The concert was over and people were still jacked up.

He had a way of communicating with his lyrics a lot like Dylan, except he's a much better musician.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVR3EgQkHs]Bruce Springsteen - The River - YouTube[/ame]

Springsteen is a fucking rock God who exists on another level than other performers....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xab-th4ltU]Bruce Springsteen - Prove It All Night - Largo live 1978 (Blu-ray) - YouTube[/ame]

Apropos of nobody's rant - this guy has some pipes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlsprPFVXHA]Marc Martel - Nessun Dorma [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

And if you want to hear how he wound up singing opera when he was first known as most likely Freddie Mercury Queen singer;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNMZfFPLoKg]Marc Martel Singing Nessun Dorma - YouTube[/ame]

No, I'm not saying I think he's one of the 100 best. But he blew me away with that performance.

My guy is at #57 - where does yours land?

100 Greatest Singers | Rolling Stone

Why can't they just put it on a list instead of making you go through 100 pages? How tiresome. Just reading the intro, I expect no one I like is on it because this is not a list of the 'best' singers of all time--it is a list of popular pop singers and rock singers and has nothing to do with all singers. I'm not going to bother going through 100 pages.

My guy is at #57 - where does yours land?

100 Greatest Singers | Rolling Stone

Why can't they just put it on a list instead of making you go through 100 pages? How tiresome. Just reading the intro, I expect no one I like is on it because this is not a list of the 'best' singers of all time--it is a list of popular pop singers and rock singers and has nothing to do with all singers. I'm not going to bother going through 100 pages.

Gimme a name.

Steve Walsh from Kansas should be on that list. Kansas should also be in the R and R hall of fame.

Apropos of nobody's rant - this guy has some pipes.

Marc Martel - Nessun Dorma [HD] - YouTube

And if you want to hear how he wound up singing opera when he was first known as most likely Freddie Mercury Queen singer;

Marc Martel Singing Nessun Dorma - YouTube

No, I'm not saying I think he's one of the 100 best. But he blew me away with that performance.
I'm surprised no one has brought up Robert Gulet.

Another guy just popped into my head. Does anyone remember Greg Rolie from the original Santana band?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVzXqIe-WSQ]Mother's Daughter ~ Santana - YouTube[/ame]

Or Robert Cray...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYC6B1mi1WU]ROBERT CRAY BAND "Faul Play' in Holland 1987 - YouTube[/ame]

No Ann Wilson, Pat Benatar, David Gilmour, Kelly Sweet, Roy Orbison, Mama Cass? Eric Clapton, Cory Wells, Chuck Negron, Danny Hutton, Boz Scaggs? No James Freakin Otto? WTF kind of list is this?

What kind of list indeed. I would expect to see Eric Clapton, Roy Orbison, Mama Cass, and Boz Scaggs on the list. Also Robert Cray, George Benson, and Nat King Cole. Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen Mcrae, and Cleo Laine. I think Diane Shurr is one of the very best singers we have.

All of these people are actually better 'singers' than someone like Rod Stewart, for example. Have better voices and are better stylists. Also, to point out, the title of the article is the 100 Best Singers of All Time, when, in fact, it is a list of 100 of the most popular pop, rock and (some) rhythm and blues singers who are mostly American, and some British. It ignores pretty much anyone else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJ2tUw_yi0]Diane Schuur - New York State Of Mind - [ame]http://www.Chaylz.com[/ame] - YouTube[/ame]

Much of it is a matter of taste, but mostly this list, as has been pointed out, has who it has on it because it is from Rolling Stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never saw it. I didn't like his songs. I didn't like his singing. I've never liked anything Queen did. I always thought of their music as a gay mans Pink Floyd. I'm not into opera shit! Choirs don't rock. And Queen sucks!

Maybe if I saw them live, I would think different. But I didn't and it is, what it is.

when i saw them at the Forum around 76 Thin Lizzy opened for them and rocked the fucking house down and got called out for an encore.....i was thinking there is no way Queen was going to keep the momentum up.....they came out with tie your mother down and never let up......Queen was a pretty professional bunch of musicians......and "gay mans" Pink Floyd?.....just because one guy was gay?....i guess Judas Priest must be the gay mans Iron Maiden....

Bruce is someone I didn't like at first. I thought he just rambles on and on and on...

I had no intention of getting into him (or his music). I had a lot of negative shit to say about him and all my friends had to listen to it. And they all had the same response...

...go see him!

So I did. It was the greatest concert I've ever been to in my entire life. Nothing even comes close. He played for 5-1/2 hours and as we were walking out to the car, people were coming out completely drenched like they came out of a swimming pool and just screaming at the top of their lungs, "owooooo!" "yeaaaaahhh", just screaming like the concert was still going on. The concert was over and people were still jacked up.

He had a way of communicating with his lyrics a lot like Dylan, except he's a much better musician.

Bruce Springsteen - The River - YouTube

I'd heard about Springsteen's marathon concerts, but five-and-a-half hours? I'm surprised the guy hasn't had a heart attack yet. Ho-ly... :eek:

Springsteen is a fucking rock God who exists on another level than other performers....

and you know what Billo?.....lots of people think that of Queen.....its all what you like.....i personally think Bruce and Queen are ok....but i can think of dozens of bands i would rather see than either one of them.....Thin Lizzy being one.....they were fucking great....

Forum List

Back