100 Greatest Singers of All Time

Apropos of nobody's rant - this guy has some pipes.

Marc Martel - Nessun Dorma [HD] - YouTube

And if you want to hear how he wound up singing opera when he was first known as most likely Freddie Mercury Queen singer;

Marc Martel Singing Nessun Dorma - YouTube

No, I'm not saying I think he's one of the 100 best. But he blew me away with that performance.
I'm surprised no one has brought up Robert Gulet.

Another guy just popped into my head. Does anyone remember Greg Rolie from the original Santana band?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVzXqIe-WSQ]Mother's Daughter ~ Santana - YouTube[/ame]

yea Rolie went on to become the original lead singer and Keyboard player for Journey....he was the one i heard recommended Steve Perry be the new Front Man.....

No Ann Wilson, Pat Benatar, David Gilmour, Kelly Sweet, Roy Orbison, Mama Cass? Eric Clapton, Cory Wells, Chuck Negron, Danny Hutton, Boz Scaggs? No James Freakin Otto? WTF kind of list is this?

What kind of list indeed. I would expect to see Eric Clapton, Roy Orbison, Mama Cass, and Boz Scaggs on the list. Also Robert Cray, George Benson, and Nat King Cole. Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen Mcrae, and Cleo Laine. I think Diane Shurr is one of the very best singers we have.

All of these people are actually better 'singers' than someone like Rod Stewart, for example. Have better voices and are better stylists. Also, to point out, the title of the article is the 100 Best Singers of All Time, when, in fact, it is a list of 100 of the most popular pop, rock and (some) rhythm and blues singers who are mostly American, and some British. It ignores pretty much anyone else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJ2tUw_yi0]Diane Schuur - New York State Of Mind - [ame]http://www.Chaylz.com[/ame] - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk-WuhxtPKU]Diane Schuur - Caught A Touch Of Your Love - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ktgyt3OTo&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9DbIEFdlDHrRgbtavCEUowI]Carmen McRae - Body & Soul - YouTube[/ame]
Much of it is a matter of taste, but mostly this list, as has been pointed out, has who it has on it because it is from Rolling Stone.

the list is titled "Greatest" not "Best".....there is a difference....

No Ann Wilson, Pat Benatar, David Gilmour, Kelly Sweet, Roy Orbison, Mama Cass? Eric Clapton, Cory Wells, Chuck Negron, Danny Hutton, Boz Scaggs? No James Freakin Otto? WTF kind of list is this?

What kind of list indeed. I would expect to see Eric Clapton, Roy Orbison, Mama Cass, and Boz Scaggs on the list. Also Robert Cray, George Benson, and Nat King Cole. Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen Mcrae, and Cleo Laine. I think Diane Shurr is one of the very best singers we have.

All of these people are actually better 'singers' than someone like Rod Stewart, for example. Have better voices and are better stylists. Also, to point out, the title of the article is the 100 Best Singers of All Time, when, in fact, it is a list of 100 of the most popular pop, rock and (some) rhythm and blues singers who are mostly American, and some British. It ignores pretty much anyone else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJ2tUw_yi0]Diane Schuur - New York State Of Mind - [ame]http://www.Chaylz.com[/ame] - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk-WuhxtPKU]Diane Schuur - Caught A Touch Of Your Love - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ktgyt3OTo&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9DbIEFdlDHrRgbtavCEUowI]Carmen McRae - Body & Soul - YouTube[/ame]
Much of it is a matter of taste, but mostly this list, as has been pointed out, has who it has on it because it is from Rolling Stone.

Please explain the difference. Connotatively, 'greatest' suggests 'best.' For example, if we said someone was the 'greatest' world leader, most people would infer that meant the best world leader. So, go on, explain what the difference is, in this case, between 'greatest' and 'best.' Thank you. :eusa_angel:

Diane Schuur - New York State Of Mind - [url]http://www.Chaylz.com - YouTube[/url]
Diane Schuur - Caught A Touch Of Your Love - YouTube
Carmen McRae - Body & Soul - YouTube

Please explain the difference. Connotatively, 'greatest' suggests 'best.' For example, if we said someone was the 'greatest' world leader, most people would infer that meant the best world leader. So, go on, explain what the difference is, in this case, between 'greatest' and 'best.' Thank you. :eusa_angel:
Greatest means what you have accomplished, how much influence you have had in the genre you perform in, how much influence you have on other Musicians,are you still known 10 years after you made your debut......Best means what it says.....are you the best Guitar Player technically.....the best vocalist technically.....for instance Jimi Hendrix is considered to be the "Greatest" Guitar player.....but is he the "Best" player?.....there are dozens of players out there that can play circles around him....but are they as well known as him?.....are they as influential as him? are they considered to be as GREAT as he is?....

Greatest means what you have accomplished, how much influence you have had in the genre you perform in, how much influence you have on other Musicians,are you still known 10 years after you made your debut......Best means what it says.....are you the best Guitar Player technically.....the best vocalist technically.....for instance Jimi Hendrix is considered to be the "Greatest" Guitar player.....but is he the "Best" player?.....there are dozens of players out there that can play circles around him....but are they as well known as him?.....are they as influential as him? are they considered to be as GREAT as he is?....

The problem is that both 'best' and 'greatest' are abstract terms and both very subjective. I don't agree with your interpretation of 'greatest,' and don't believe that is what Rolling Stone meant when it titled the list as the 'greatest.' Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Even if they did, and even if I accepted your definition of 'greatest,' I don't agree with the list. It should state, for example, that it is limited to pop, rock and some rhythm and blues, and that it is limited, 99%, to American and British so called 'artists.'

Apparently, dying helps.

The problem is that both 'best' and 'greatest' are abstract terms and both very subjective. I don't agree with your interpretation of 'greatest,' and don't believe that is what Rolling Stone meant when it titled the list as the 'greatest.' Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Even if they did, and even if I accepted your definition of 'greatest,' I don't agree with the list. It should state, for example, that it is limited to pop, rock and some rhythm and blues, and that it is limited, 99%, to American and British so called 'artists.'
well thats what happens when you deal with Rolling Stone.....its the same shit with their so called Rock N Roll "hall of fame".....thats why if i got to see a list i will go with Music sites like Digital Dream Door.....they tell you what the criteria is to be on the list....something RS never does.....

The music business is a lot different than it used to be. Back in the day people would make demos and drive them around to radio stations and convince them to play their records. The free market would take it from there.

Now you have to take it to the city and deal with executives who don't know jack.

The music business is a lot different than it used to be. Back in the day people would make demos and drive them around to radio stations and convince them to play their records. The free market would take it from there.

Now you have to take it to the city and deal with executives who don't know jack.

Roy Orbison probably never would have made it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrgeeS_qbo]Roy Orbison - Crying - YouTube[/ame]

Apparently, dying helps.
Everyone has their own definitions of "greatness", but I think it can best be illustrated in the look on Mama Cass's face as she's watching Janis Joplin sing Ball and Chain at the Monterey film festival in 1967. You take one look at her and you know, she is looking at something truly great.

I'd heard about Springsteen's marathon concerts, but five-and-a-half hours? I'm surprised the guy hasn't had a heart attack yet. Ho-ly... :eek:
He did about 2-1/2 hours, took a break, then did another 3 hours.

My friends kept telling me, "He plays every concert like its his last!"

I thought, "Bullshit! No one does that!"

Then I saw him and it was like, "Holy shit! He really does!"

and you know what Billo?.....lots of people think that of Queen.....its all what you like.....i personally think Bruce and Queen are ok....but i can think of dozens of bands i would rather see than either one of them.....Thin Lizzy being one.....they were fucking great....
I'm sorry, but that fuckers' teeth drove me up a fucking wall!

At least Bruce had a nice butt!

Wait............I mean..............maybe I've said too much?

yea Rolie went on to become the original lead singer and Keyboard player for Journey....he was the one i heard recommended Steve Perry be the new Front Man.....
I know. The only album I liked by Journey was their first. You can't find it anywhere. After that, they became a disgusting chick band.

Sorry, Neil Schon. It is, what it is.

No Frank Sinatra.
No Diana Ross.
No Barbra Streisand.
No Nat "King" Cole.
No Judy Garland.

#45: Kurt "mumblemumbleRAAAAARRRRRmumble" Cobain.

Yeah, this list is :cuckoo:.
And no Sing along with Mitch!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY9gtYeHhk]Sing Along With Mitch (1 of 4) - YouTube[/ame]

I wonder if someone could help me out here?

Who's that guy, who was on Britain's X-factor (or version of American Idol), he looked like a bum or someone who would ask you for change outside a liquour store, looked very apprehensive and you got the impression, "this is going to be a train wreck" and the camera kept going back and forth between him standing up on stage with this look on his face and the panel of judges (with Simon Cowell) and then....

....this guy opens his mouth and starts singing some kind of opera shit and women in the audience were actually weeping as they heard it! Simon is just sitting there shaking his head with a big smile on his face and everyone was looking around at each other with this "WTF, you didn't see that coming!" look on their faces.

He looked like a waiter, but sang like Pavrotti. I've never seen him since, but I hear he has changed careers. Can someone tell me who this fucker is?

I wonder if someone could help me out here?

Who's that guy, who was on Britain's X-factor (or version of American Idol), he looked like a bum or someone who would ask you for change outside a liquour store, looked very apprehensive and you got the impression, "this is going to be a train wreck" and the camera kept going back and forth between him standing up on stage with this look on his face and the panel of judges (with Simon Cowell) and then....

....this guy opens his mouth and starts singing some kind of opera shit and women in the audience were actually weeping as they heard it! Simon is just sitting there shaking his head with a big smile on his face and everyone was looking around at each other with this "WTF, you didn't see that coming!" look on their faces.

He looked like a waiter, but sang like Pavrotti. I've never seen him since, but I hear he has changed careers. Can someone tell me who this fucker is?

This guy?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Z6DXe8C68]Andrew De Leon America's Got Talent Goth Opera Singer - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back