11 Facts About the Eric Garner Case the Media Won't Tell You

A few quotes from this article examining the criminalization of individual choices.
When does a nanny state go too far in protecting us from ourselves?

Eric Garner and the criminalization of everyday life

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/eric-garner-and-the-criminalization-of-everyday-life/article/2557005?utm_campaign=Washington Examiner: Opinion Digest&utm_source=Washington Examiner: Opinion Digest - 12/05/14&utm_medium=email

"We all know politicians love their tax revenue. But is it worth risking killing someone over a few bucks?"

-----------------------------------------
"Punitive taxes and a legal minimum price of $10.50 were imposed in an effort to push prices ever-upward, so that a brand-name pack of 20 cigarettes now costs as much as $14 in New York City.

As a result, the illicit sale of loose and untaxed cigarettes became more commonplace. Lawmakers had turned every non-wealthy smoker into a criminal, and police made it a priority to curb this criminal creation of political meddling.

The hyper-criminalization added to the pressure on every good cop to become a bad one."

------------------------------------------

"Enough people die in police confrontations already — justifiable and otherwise. But New York's crusading politicians have discovered a way to maximize the number of needless tests of their cops' restraint and common sense. Their excessive preoccupation with snuffing out citizens' private decisions made it inevitable that an Eric Garner would eventually die, and surely he will not be the last."

and if the moron would not have stood repeatedly in front of the same store selling the same cigarettes legally there would not have been a problem.
or if the moron would have simply moved when the cops told him to move on , there would not have been a problem.
or if the moron would have not been doing something illegal there would not have been a problem.
So as you can see the moron has no one to blame except himself.

so you're ok with black on black death?
What does "black on black death" have to do with the inhumanity shown to Eric Garner by NYPD and other public servants AFTER Garner was in their custody?
figures right? You don't care that 70 other black men died in St. Louis while we all waited for the GJ announcement. No outrage that violence is a fact of life for the black, the mean old cop is the problem. Do you care about black life or not?

As for Mr. Garner, I'd like for you to tell me what the cop was supposed to do. The businesses who pay their taxes requested he be removed and stop interfering with thier ability to do business.
So the question back at you is, what to do when a suspect won't move as instructed by the authorities?

And, when you are instructed to move along by the authorities what is your reaction?

so you're ok with black on black death?
What does "black on black death" have to do with the inhumanity shown to Eric Garner by NYPD and other public servants AFTER Garner was in their custody?

What inhumanity? the EMT picked him up and took him to the hospital where he died from SELF INFLICTED causes!

Garner was stupid by breaking the law and even more so in how he reacted to the cops. But at some point government needs draw a line between how it reacts to serious and minor crimes.

Want to Limit the Use of Police Force? Limit the State
Progressives refuse to see the connection between government and force.

‘If you have ten thousand regulations,” Winston Churchill once wrote, “you destroy all respect for the law.”

Ultimately, “the State” is a synonym for “organized violence.” “If you refuse to pay your taxes,” Representative David Brat recently noted, “you will lose. You will go to jail, and if you fight, you will lose. The government holds a monopoly on violence. Any law that we vote for is ultimately backed by the full force of our government and military.” In consequence, Brat proposed, we should be careful about when and how that violence is utilized. Certainly, civilized nations need laws. But it is one thing to recruit armed men to prevent murder and rape and grievous bodily harm, and it is quite another to do so in order to regulate the manner in which cigarettes may be sold. Eric Garner was not killed while robbing a bank or starting a fight in a bar, but while selling tobacco on the street without a license. Is this really what the state is for?"

Want to Limit the Use of Police Force Limit the State National Review Online

Garner was stupid by breaking the law and even more so in how he reacted to the cops. But at some point government needs draw a line between how it reacts to serious and minor crimes.

Want to Limit the Use of Police Force? Limit the State
Progressives refuse to see the connection between government and force.

‘If you have ten thousand regulations,” Winston Churchill once wrote, “you destroy all respect for the law.”

Ultimately, “the State” is a synonym for “organized violence.” “If you refuse to pay your taxes,” Representative David Brat recently noted, “you will lose. You will go to jail, and if you fight, you will lose. The government holds a monopoly on violence. Any law that we vote for is ultimately backed by the full force of our government and military.” In consequence, Brat proposed, we should be careful about when and how that violence is utilized. Certainly, civilized nations need laws. But it is one thing to recruit armed men to prevent murder and rape and grievous bodily harm, and it is quite another to do so in order to regulate the manner in which cigarettes may be sold. Eric Garner was not killed while robbing a bank or starting a fight in a bar, but while selling tobacco on the street without a license. Is this really what the state is for?"

Want to Limit the Use of Police Force Limit the State National Review Online
again, the person enforcing a law is not the one who wrote it. Keep it straight. And the business owners wanted Garner gone. All he had to do was comply with the order given by the authorities. Instead he created a confrontation to which he lost. I still don't see the injustice.

You don't care that 70 other black men died in St. Louis while we all waited for the GJ announcement.
Most of those 70 other black men weren't killed by duly authorized authority figures, were they? Cons' SQUEALs about the quality of black life are about as believable as Grand Jury verdicts controlled by local DAs.

You don't care that 70 other black men died in St. Louis while we all waited for the GJ announcement.
Most of those 70 other black men weren't killed by duly authorized authority figures, were they? Cons' SQUEALs about the quality of black life are about as believable as Grand Jury verdicts controlled by local DAs.
so, don't their lives matter?

What inhumanity? the EMT picked him up and took him to the hospital where he died from SELF IN
Why didn't EMT clear Garner's air passages?
Why didn't they administer oxygen?
Why wasn't CPR applied?
Because Garner was black.
OMG, so the reason why CPR wasn't applied was because he was still breathing. If you listened to the video, the cop says that. come on man at least argue valid points. Why no oxygen was provided is a very good question. That's the only one. But that isn't the cops.

The video doesn't look good. Yes Garner was a moron....but cops mostly deal with morons.

No way the guy should have died for selling cigarettes. The cops screwed up.

I used to have a drinking problem many years ago. Well ... let's face it ... I was a "falling down drunk." Anyway, I've been arrested 4 times for alcohol related violations. I never acted belligerently so I was never struck, choked, or thrown to the ground. Moral of the story? Don't resist arrest. I was breaking the law and deserved to be arrested and even in my drunken state of mind I was sensible enough to realize that fighting the cops wouldn't end well.

I agree. I don't know what these people expect the police to do when they come charging at them and are being uncooperative and fighting with them! They MUST take some of the blame for their own ridiculous actions.

I also don't understand why a lot of black people have to scream all the time when the police are trying to restrain them. Good Lord, shut up already! :rolleyes-41:

It's so funny on Cops or other shows when they cry like a little baby that their wrist hurts or something. Yeah sure, this is a guy who just spent 10 years in a maximum security prison. Lol!
Yeah cause telling the cops you didn't do anything is stupid, you're just begging to have them kill you when you resist.
Because everyone admits they're guilty, right? Geez dude you can't stop the stupid can you. You're amazingly the lead of the stupid club on here.

I know, right? They are ALL innocent. They didn't do it! "These are not my pants. I found them and don't know how the drugs got in there!" :lol:
Moron.

Who's a moron? Yourself for believing suspects who claim they are innocent and for not knowing about the "these are not my pants" defense? Agreed. Lol!

Dallas man with meth in pocket tells police 8216 These aren 8217 t my pants 8217 Dallas Morning News

COPS TV Show Not My Pants Rancho Cucamonga Police Department COPS

The 8216 these are not my pants defense 8217 Kitsap Crime and Justice

I agree. I don't know what these people expect the police to do when they come charging at them and are being uncooperative and fighting with them! They MUST take some of the blame for their own ridiculous actions.

I also don't understand why a lot of black people have to scream all the time when the police are trying to restrain them. Good Lord, shut up already! :rolleyes-41:

It's so funny on Cops or other shows when they cry like a little baby that their wrist hurts or something. Yeah sure, this is a guy who just spent 10 years in a maximum security prison. Lol!
Yeah cause telling the cops you didn't do anything is stupid, you're just begging to have them kill you when you resist.
Because everyone admits they're guilty, right? Geez dude you can't stop the stupid can you. You're amazingly the lead of the stupid club on here.

I know, right? They are ALL innocent. They didn't do it! "These are not my pants. I found them and don't know how the drugs got in there!" :lol:
Moron.

Who's a moron? Yourself for believing suspects who claim they are innocent and for not knowing about the "these are not my pants" defense? Agreed. Lol!

Dallas man with meth in pocket tells police 8216 These aren 8217 t my pants 8217 Dallas Morning News

You think they sent 12 police officers to arrest one guy for selling 75 cent loosies? Yeah anyone that believes that is a moron.

Moron.

You think they sent 12 police officers to arrest one guy for selling 75 cent loosies? Yeah anyone that believes that is a moron.
so why do you supposed 12 police officers were sent?

Forum List

Back