1st Amendment vs. Bumper Sticker "FU Trump and FU You for Voting for Him"

I love seeing snowflake angst. To me, that dick is a target for me in traffic........I'll bust my balls to get up to such a person, roll down the window with a big-ass smile on my face and proceed to get the dick in head explosion mode. Go.....go!!!

And really, what do those stickers say?

They say, "I'm in a perpetual state of misery and seek to make you miserable!":bye1:

rush limpbough, hannity, and all the other big Hate Radio fucks insult millions of their perceived "enemies" 24/7. They're not honest enough to use the direct language the lady in the truck did, but the radio haters' language is even more hateful and divisive and insulting. Yet, you never hear right wingers whining about their language or intent, even though the meaning is far worse, far more divisive, and deeply disturbing.

These hate-filled radio hacks are nothing but treasonous trouble-makers.

So now you're saying that phrasing things in mature, diplomatic ways is less admirable than crude visual assaults delivered in a cowardly fashion that allows you to avoid having to hear the responses? Tells us a lot about you. Dumbass.

You can turn the radio to another station. It's a little hard to turn a truck ahead of you in traffic off. If you're so very fond of "direct language", I cordially invite you to grow a pair and at least use it to people's faces.
If you think Rush and hannity phrase "things in mature, diplomatic ways" then you're an imbecile.

And that says a lot about you. Dumbass.

Compared to you, my 9-year-old is a Rhodes scholar, so I find it highly doubtful you would know mature and diplomatic if it crawled up your pants leg and bit you on the left ass cheek.
I read one other exchange you’re having with another member. It’s clear that you’re an arrogant, delusional POS who thinks she’s better than everyone else on the board. It’s a total waste of time trying to ‘talk’ someone like you. Hope you’re more attractive in person. Lotsa luck with that. Lol...

As opposed to the person self-righteously giving me an opinion I never asked for, and never indicated I would care about? Yeah, nothing arrogant and delusional THERE.

Btw, "it's a total waste of time trying to talk to you" is board-speak for "I can't make my case, so I'm going to spew insults and run".

I accept your surrender. Buh-bye, and enjoy being a second-stringer. :fu:

rush limpbough, hannity, and all the other big Hate Radio fucks insult millions of their perceived "enemies" 24/7. They're not honest enough to use the direct language the lady in the truck did, but the radio haters' language is even more hateful and divisive and insulting. Yet, you never hear right wingers whining about their language or intent, even though the meaning is far worse, far more divisive, and deeply disturbing.

These hate-filled radio hacks are nothing but treasonous trouble-makers.

So now you're saying that phrasing things in mature, diplomatic ways is less admirable than crude visual assaults delivered in a cowardly fashion that allows you to avoid having to hear the responses? Tells us a lot about you. Dumbass.

You can turn the radio to another station. It's a little hard to turn a truck ahead of you in traffic off. If you're so very fond of "direct language", I cordially invite you to grow a pair and at least use it to people's faces.
If you think Rush and hannity phrase "things in mature, diplomatic ways" then you're an imbecile.

And that says a lot about you. Dumbass.

Compared to you, my 9-year-old is a Rhodes scholar, so I find it highly doubtful you would know mature and diplomatic if it crawled up your pants leg and bit you on the left ass cheek.
I read one other exchange you’re having with another member. It’s clear that you’re an arrogant, delusional POS who thinks she’s better than everyone else on the board. It’s a total waste of time trying to ‘talk’ someone like you. Hope you’re more attractive in person. Lotsa luck with that. Lol...

As opposed to the person self-righteously giving me an opinion I never asked for, and never indicated I would care about? Yeah, nothing arrogant and delusional THERE.

Btw, "it's a total waste of time trying to talk to you" is board-speak for "I can't make my case, so I'm going to spew insults and run".

I accept your surrender. Buh-bye, and enjoy being a second-stringer.
I'm not running you stupid bimbo.

But, like all the men in your real life, I find you disgusting, so why would I want to waste any time on you?

A sheriff went looking for a truck with a profane anti-Trump sticker. He found controversy instead.

imrs.php

Texas penal code describes disorderly conduct as “intentionally or knowingly [using] abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of peace.” Making “an offensive gesture or display in a public place” is also prohibited if “the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of peace.”

But the ACLU cited a 1971 Supreme Court decision, Cohen v. California, in which the high court overturned a man’s disturbing-the-peace conviction after he’d gone to a courthouse in Los Angeles wearing a jacket that said “F‑‑k the Draft.”

=====================
I don't agree that the environment in a CA courtroom is the same as displaying an obscene advertisement on a car sticker in public and especially on roadways with moving traffic (and children in cars who could be exposed). I believe the best way to address these cases are locally, between the people complaining who are directly affected.

I agree with the Sheriff in resolving complaints that the obscene sticker was causing disruption of the peace, distraction to drivers, and a nuisance to the local residents.

If someone advertised an obscene message on a car, or had an obscene reference on a license plate, this would not be allowed. Kids can be exposed to the obscenity without a way to "change the channel" or avoid the source. Obscene words in public broadcasts such as radio/TV are not allowed during regular hours, though some restrictions are relaxed for late night.

I also agree that the drivers/displayers of the bumper sticker have the right to free speech and to seek permission to exercise their rights. But if the residents around them say no, that's not welcome, they have the right to refuse being imposed upon as well. You can't just walk into a public place and make obscene gestures or statements, or other people will complain; someone will have to ask the person to resolve the issue civilly and not disturb others with the obscene language used.

I agree with both sides, and would have asked them to resolve it mutually.
The way this case ended, the authorities found open warrants on the driver and pursued an arrest for that.

They still didn't resolve the root issue. I think it is up to the people affected locally to decide if it is disruptive or not. In these case, too many people complained to authorities, so apparently it was considered disruptive and a breach of the peace.

The Sheriff handled it respectfully as possible, and only sought to communicate the complaints to the driver to request they resolve it. The driver refused, so they found another way around it.

Are you from here ? Really, this was nothing but a clever way to collect a warrant on the woman. Honestly, hi do believe the sheriff saying he was concerned for the drivers safety. But in the end they just wanted the warrant . And New Braunsfels can not be a good place to have a number sticker like that.
???
I thought it was the other way around Crixus

They couldn't identify the truck or owners, after they got complaints.
So they posted the photo to find the owner and make contact.
Then after they discussed the problem, they ran the name through their records and found an outstanding warrant. So they used that as a shortcut way to do something in response to complaints .

I heard it on the radio at work. I did not hear all of that, but I will say, they don’t play with warrants. I’m pretty sure you are right about the complaints. Hard to believe no one sent a license plat number.

Probably too shocked to notice.

I like how the trashy bitch got her panties all in a ruffle and got outraged that people DARED to react negatively to her crass display. As if that wasn't what she was TRYING for.

Free speech is one thing, she is obviously a provocateur though. I would suggest though, that the second part of her sticker, the "F YOU!" could create some problems for her. Not everyone takes kindly to being called that to their face when driving.

where is being a "provacateur" not protected by the first amendment, shill?

Where it violates laws to protect others from your behavior, obviously.

UPDATE:
Owner of 'F--- Trump' truck, attorney threaten civil rights lawsuit over dispute with sheriff

920x920.jpg

Truck driver threatens civil lawsuit,
apparently with support or funding behind it
to make a political statement.

I'd be fascinated to know what basis this ignorant sow thinks she has to sue anyone.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Morons in this country think they have a "Right" to do whatever they want, whenever they want, with no consideration for others required. I shall watch with amusement as she learns otherwise.

Hey, if she was bright enough to learn, she'd have been bright enough to know how to behave in the first place.

And don’t steal other people’s identities.

Anti-Trump woman accused of identity theft in 2014

Fantastic spokesperson the left has chosen to rally around, no? Come to think of it, she's a lot like every other "victim hero" the left chooses.

A sheriff went looking for a truck with a profane anti-Trump sticker. He found controversy instead.

imrs.php

Texas penal code describes disorderly conduct as “intentionally or knowingly [using] abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of peace.” Making “an offensive gesture or display in a public place” is also prohibited if “the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of peace.”

But the ACLU cited a 1971 Supreme Court decision, Cohen v. California, in which the high court overturned a man’s disturbing-the-peace conviction after he’d gone to a courthouse in Los Angeles wearing a jacket that said “F‑‑k the Draft.”

=====================
I don't agree that the environment in a CA courtroom is the same as displaying an obscene advertisement on a car sticker in public and especially on roadways with moving traffic (and children in cars who could be exposed). I believe the best way to address these cases are locally, between the people complaining who are directly affected.

I agree with the Sheriff in resolving complaints that the obscene sticker was causing disruption of the peace, distraction to drivers, and a nuisance to the local residents.

If someone advertised an obscene message on a car, or had an obscene reference on a license plate, this would not be allowed. Kids can be exposed to the obscenity without a way to "change the channel" or avoid the source. Obscene words in public broadcasts such as radio/TV are not allowed during regular hours, though some restrictions are relaxed for late night.

I also agree that the drivers/displayers of the bumper sticker have the right to free speech and to seek permission to exercise their rights. But if the residents around them say no, that's not welcome, they have the right to refuse being imposed upon as well. You can't just walk into a public place and make obscene gestures or statements, or other people will complain; someone will have to ask the person to resolve the issue civilly and not disturb others with the obscene language used.

I agree with both sides, and would have asked them to resolve it mutually.
The way this case ended, the authorities found open warrants on the driver and pursued an arrest for that.

They still didn't resolve the root issue. I think it is up to the people affected locally to decide if it is disruptive or not. In these case, too many people complained to authorities, so apparently it was considered disruptive and a breach of the peace.

The Sheriff handled it respectfully as possible, and only sought to communicate the complaints to the driver to request they resolve it. The driver refused, so they found another way around it.

Are you from here ? Really, this was nothing but a clever way to collect a warrant on the woman. Honestly, hi do believe the sheriff saying he was concerned for the drivers safety. But in the end they just wanted the warrant . And New Braunsfels can not be a good place to have a number sticker like that.
???
I thought it was the other way around Crixus

They couldn't identify the truck or owners, after they got complaints.
So they posted the photo to find the owner and make contact.
Then after they discussed the problem, they ran the name through their records and found an outstanding warrant. So they used that as a shortcut way to do something in response to complaints .

I heard it on the radio at work. I did not hear all of that, but I will say, they don’t play with warrants. I’m pretty sure you are right about the complaints. Hard to believe no one sent a license plat number.

Probably too shocked to notice.

I like how the trashy bitch got her panties all in a ruffle and got outraged that people DARED to react negatively to her crass display. As if that wasn't what she was TRYING for.

Honestly, considering where she lives , I’m not surprised. She is basically trailer trash who should have spent money cleaning up her other legal issues before picking political fights.

Free speech is one thing, she is obviously a provocateur though. I would suggest though, that the second part of her sticker, the "F YOU!" could create some problems for her. Not everyone takes kindly to being called that to their face when driving.

the first amendment does not protect you from provocative behavior.

Who said it did? At what point did the First Amendment become the only law we have in this country, with anything not being mentioned in it simply not being protected?

What I said, Mensa Girl - and let me know if the English gets too complicated for you to understand at any point - was that "being a provocateur" is not protected by the First Amendment at the point where it becomes an infringement on the rights of others. I did NOT say "where it infringes on the FIRST AMENDMENT rights of others". Good morning, and welcome to a world where people have rights besides those in the First Amendment.

And thank you for completely validating my extremely low opinion of your intelligence. You're definitely consistent.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, there's a difference between "provocateur" and "offensive asshat". Explore this concept.

Correct.

The First Amendment concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons and organizations.

That one private person perceives another private person as a ‘provocateur’ has nothing whatsoever to do with the rights enshrined in the First Amendment.

And this case is clearly an example of government run afoul of the First Amendment, seeking to punish unpopular speech and dissent through force of law.

Correct.

The First Amendment concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons and organizations.

That one private person perceives another private person as a ‘provocateur’ has nothing whatsoever to do with the rights enshrined in the First Amendment.

And this case is clearly an example of government run afoul of the First Amendment, seeking to punish unpopular speech and dissent through force of law.

If you two would like to stroke each other in private, I can assure you the rest of us would prefer that as well, and will be happy to wait while you get a room.

Legality aside, I'm no lawyer.

Personally I don't give a shit about the woman's opinion bumpersticker, I don't even care about the curses and what not because in my mind it's just words so whatever. However, I'm a bit less "sound" on where I come down about the curse words... The question becomes does she have the right to expose another citizens children to her vulgarity? On the one hand, I say yes, on the other, I say no.... maybe...

There is kind of just too much cursing out there going on to really proclaim that this chick is really "exposing" any kids who happen to read it to something with "malicious intentions" [toward the kidos - adults have to suck it up ya know] It's like... have you seen this?!?

Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

I gotta say I don't approve of that right there (and I let my kids swear), but that's the rub - it's not my /place/ to say those parents couldn't authorize/let their kids do that ya know? Just like someone shouldn't be telling me that I can't let my kids swear (though I taught them when and where it was appropriate, of course - they're adults now)

Is it "inciting"? No more than the media's blatant nuclear war against President Trump; calling him a racist, rapist, etc. 24 fucking 7 and shit. Kids are being exposed to that, in fact there's videos of young children talking about how much "they" hate President Trump [I have a very strong feeling that is actually their parents or the director's opinions, but that's beside the point here] So it's not like kids aren't being exposed to "incitement" and "vulgarity" and "adult" shit on a regular basis... on the other hand, a parent can turn off the TV or the internet, they can't exactly turn-off that...

I gotta admit I'm totally torn and find myself with no decisive opinion on it. o_O

How delightfully rare! TY for the topic, and the mental exercise, emilynghiem I value finding myself in such an unexpected conundrum :)

Thanks EverCurious I think your reply said it all.
There is no "you said it all" button so I gave you Winner!

I think it was the curse word that did it for her.
(If it was the politics, well, FU Obama would have been even worse,
so either way that argument would have cancelled out)

Had the words been "smaller print"
that's where I WOULD agree with what you said that it's not
really imposing or forcing it on the public.
But when the words are the size of an Advertising Banner,
that's where I thought it was fair to treat it under the same
laws applied to Advertisements, where FU is not allowed.

Interesting development EverCurious
It turns out the driver's warrant for arrest
was for some kind of "felony fraud"
(was it for taking money from a school?)
FBCSO: Driver of anti-Trump F-bomb truck arrested on felony fraud charges

As for your mixed thoughts or feelings of ambivalence, these cases CAN go either way.
There is no set rule that is going to apply to all without exception. So it will seem arbitrary.

Here, people DID call the Sheriff's office to complain.
Maybe with other stickers that contain cursing, people would let it slide.
Maybe that isn't fair and equal, but that's the risk you take.

FUCK TRUMP WITH A CACTUS DILDO

TyroneSlothrop: maybe we should do an experiment,
and try the bumper sticker study with YOUR slogan above.

I bet either nobody would call in or nobody would take their calls seriously.
Because nobody would take the bumper sticker seriously!

Maybe the problem was it worded so "seriously"
that people took it "seriously."

So next time, the driver should post a silly sounding sticker like yours.
And nobody would believe the complaints either!
Silly!

Thanks EverCurious I think your reply said it all.
There is no "you said it all" button so I gave you Winner!

I think it was the curse word that did it for her.
(If it was the politics, well, FU Obama would have been even worse,
so either way that argument would have cancelled out)

Had the words been "smaller print"
that's where I WOULD agree with what you said that it's not
really imposing or forcing it on the public.
But when the words are the size of an Advertising Banner,
that's where I thought it was fair to treat it under the same
laws applied to Advertisements, where FU is not allowed.

Interesting development EverCurious
It turns out the driver's warrant for arrest
was for some kind of "felony fraud"
(was it for taking money from a school?)
FBCSO: Driver of anti-Trump F-bomb truck arrested on felony fraud charges

As for your mixed thoughts or feelings of ambivalence, these cases CAN go either way.
There is no set rule that is going to apply to all without exception. So it will seem arbitrary.

Here, people DID call the Sheriff's office to complain.
Maybe with other stickers that contain cursing, people would let it slide.
Maybe that isn't fair and equal, but that's the risk you take.

Perhaps, tis a point to consider RE "advertising size" for sure. I'm not entirely sure I agree with the idea of the local community being able to decide, because ya know, isn't that what California is doing with sanctuary cities? I don't necessarily agree with that practice because of it's effects. Similarly I don't agree with students at schools being able to say certain speakers are not allowed at the school because "they complained" about it. I don't agree with pulling down statues because some folks in the town complained about it. I mean as far as that particular argument goes, I don't agree with allowing certain areas in this nation to in effect "void" the first amendment based on them not liking what is being said.

For me it's about kids, I mean if it's just adults seeing it, then I'd not be in conflict, the adults can suck it up and deal. However, there is that aspect of it being "public" meaning kids can see it which makes it just as iffy a territory as say objections to vagina hats in public, curse words on protest signs, etc. I honestly don't have any idea about the legality side, but perhaps we could find some insight through any case law regarding my latter examples? I cannot say as I've seen any cases of people's protest signs or vagina hats (or other similar "vulgar" displays) being brought to court, have you? (or anyone else?)

Correct.

If you two would like to stroke each other in private, I can assure you the rest of us would prefer that as well, and will be happy to wait while you get a room.

Then you should probably go post somewhere where only ignorant twits who keep repeating the same rightwingnut talking points over and over and over congregate.

the feelings rest of "you", meaning rightwingnut thin-skinned snowflake swamp dwellers, are irrelevant to normal people.

Forum List

Back