2 mid-Michigan dams breached, thousands evacuated amid flooding

Seems the dams were being sold-
In 2018, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission revoked the license of the company that operated the Edenville Dam due to non-compliance issues that included spillway capacity and the inability to pass the most severe flood reasonably possible in the area.

The Edenville Dam, which was built in 1924, was rated in unsatisfactory condition in 2018 by the state. The Sanford Dam, which was built in 1925, received a fair condition rating.

Both dams are in the process of being sold.

There were 19 high hazard dams in unsatisfactory or poor condition in Michigan in 2018, ranking 20th among the 45 states and Puerto Rico for which The Associated Press obtained condition assessments.

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

The 2nd failure appears to be a cascade failure from the first dam breaching.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

Crumbling infrastructure and the failure of the Trump Administration to address the real problems in the nation while CB he pursues his political enemies.

Not one dime for infrastructure. Billions for a useless wall.

Don’t make any mistake. Our crumbling infrastructure is something that should be laid at the feet of the duopoly and their blind supporters. Our nation is being failed by its elevated officials, but far too many don’t give a shit so long as their party is in power.

I could has sworn the governor of Michigan was a Democrat.

No shit. The two parties are failing us greatly.

How do you even know these dams were a problem?
They were, but privately owned by power companies, I believe. At least it appears the Sanford dam was. They were in the process of being sold.

Ok, the Edenville dam was not privately owned-
The Four Lakes Task Force is a "county delegated authority". It operates under the Four Lakes Assessment District in the State of Michigan.[3] The Four Lakes Assessment District was created in May 2019 by Judge Stephen Carras. The State of Michigan appropriated $5 million.[16][17] In 2019, Michigan's 42nd Circuit Court was involved in determining if only the lakefront owners or all area residents would pay tax to the Four Lakes Assessment District.[18]

The Four Lakes Task Force is a "county delegated authority". It operates under the Four Lakes Assessment District in the State of Michigan.[3] The Four Lakes Assessment District was created in May 2019 by Judge Stephen Carras. The State of Michigan appropriated $5 million.[16][17] In 2019, Michigan's 42nd Circuit Court was involved in determining if only the lakefront owners or all area residents would pay tax to the Four Lakes Assessment District.[18]

What will matter in the upcoming investigation:

1. When were the deficiencies noted?
2. What deficiencies were noted?
3. Who was responsible for responding to any violations noted?
4. What timeline was given for the repairs/upgrades?

It should be interesting to follow. Reminds me of the Orville dam failure.

It should be interesting to follow. Reminds me of the Orville dam failure.

Wasn't that the one where dam held but the spillways got messed up?

They had been doing repairs and have it done by 2023...

Boyce Hydro, who was contracted to work on the Edenville Dam, was cited in a 2018 report by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for a failure to comply with license and regulatory requirements.

The report said the dam could only pass about 50% of the possible maximum flood.

Community members came together to form the Four Lakes Task Force to buy the Wixom, Sanford, Secord and Smallwood dams from Boyce for nearly $9.5 million in 2019.

They had hoped to begin dam repairs by the end of 2023.

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

Crumbling infrastructure and the failure of the Trump Administration to address the real problems in the nation while CB he pursues his political enemies.

Your boy Obama spent billions on shovel ready jobs that wasn't shovel ready.

Don’t make any mistake. Our crumbling infrastructure is something that should be laid at the feet of the duopoly and their blind supporters. Our nation is being failed by its elevated officials, but far too many don’t give a shit so long as their party is in power.

I don't think any "opoly" is involved. Infrastructure work is boring, and doesn't "wow" constituents like pet social projects.

They also take time and planning, something most politicians don't like because it doesn't give them immidiate boosts to their images.

Finally, the work is done by boogeymen on both sides of the political aisle, large engineering firms, i.e. greedy corporate interests, as well as union labor i.e. lazy protected workers stopping others from entering ther fields"

Mostly this can be laid at the feet of Republican and their tax cutting. Infrastructure maintenance is an easy cut because nobody sees it. Politicians want taxpayers to SEE something when they spend money on infrastructure.

The Army Corps of Engineers has been writing reports for decades warning of conditions of bridges, damns and other aging infrastructure.

The New Orleans Levy was their #1 national concern before Katrina. How much money could have been saved if those warnings had been heeded?

Trump ran on a campaign promise of repairing and building infrastructure. Thousands of good paying jobs rebuilding American infrastructure. Instead billions are going to a useless wall that will be torn down the moment he leaves office.

Trump could have spent the money to save lives and give work to men and women across the country. Instead he pissed it away on a vanity project.

Stupid is as stupid does.

When he asked for more for infrastructure projects, Republicans refused because they didn’t want him to have any accomplishments to run on. Country be damned.

I don't think any "opoly" is involved. Infrastructure work is boring, and doesn't "wow" constituents like pet social projects.

They also take time and planning, something most politicians don't like because it doesn't give them immidiate boosts to their images.

Finally, the work is done by boogeymen on both sides of the political aisle, large engineering firms, i.e. greedy corporate interests, as well as union labor i.e. lazy protected workers stopping others from entering ther fields"

Mostly this can be laid at the feet of Republican and their tax cutting. Infrastructure maintenance is an easy cut because nobody sees it. Politicians want taxpayers to SEE something when they spend money on infrastructure.

The Army Corps of Engineers has been writing reports for decades warning of conditions of bridges, damns and other aging infrastructure.

The New Orleans Levy was their #1 national concern before Katrina. How much money could have been saved if those warnings had been heeded?

Trump ran on a campaign promise of repairing and building infrastructure. Thousands of good paying jobs rebuilding American infrastructure. Instead billions are going to a useless wall that will be torn down the moment he leaves office.

Trump could have spent the money to save lives and give work to men and women across the country. Instead he pissed it away on a vanity project.

The Democrats in Congress refuse to consider an infrastructure bill.

When he asked for more for infrastructure projects, Republicans refused because they didn’t want him to have any accomplishments to run on. Country be damned.
Oh bullshit Obama got just about everything he wanted.

Ah, blame Trump for issues that have been going back decades. Democrats have had plenty of times being in power with both houses, and the presidency, and governorships, yet a mewling twat like you just sees it as an opportunity to blame Trump and Republicans.

Go play with your 30 cats.

They had been doing repairs and have it done by 2023...

Boyce Hydro, who was contracted to work on the Edenville Dam, was cited in a 2018 report by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for a failure to comply with license and regulatory requirements.

The report said the dam could only pass about 50% of the possible maximum flood.

Community members came together to form the Four Lakes Task Force to buy the Wixom, Sanford, Secord and Smallwood dams from Boyce for nearly $9.5 million in 2019.

They had hoped to begin dam repairs by the end of 2023.

One has to be careful about failures to comply, they could be real issues, or just issues with paperwork.

Just another fine example of neglected priorities by elected officials

Read the OP and the links, the two damns are privately built and owned.

Ah, blame Trump for issues that have been going back decades. Democrats have had plenty of times being in power with both houses, and the presidency, and governorships, yet a mewling twat like you just sees it as an opportunity to blame Trump and Republicans.

Go play with your 30 cats.

Another promise made by trump and not fulfilled. Where was that money to fix our infrastructure? Spent on the wall down south which blew over in a windstorm?

Forum List

Back