2 mid-Michigan dams breached, thousands evacuated amid flooding

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

The 2nd failure appears to be a cascade failure from the first dam breaching.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

Crumbling infrastructure and the failure of the Trump Administration to address the real problems in the nation while CB he pursues his political enemies.

Not one dime for infrastructure. Billions for a useless wall.

Don’t make any mistake. Our crumbling infrastructure is something that should be laid at the feet of the duopoly and their blind supporters. Our nation is being failed by its elevated officials, but far too many don’t give a shit so long as their party is in power.

I don't think any "opoly" is involved. Infrastructure work is boring, and doesn't "wow" constituents like pet social projects.

They also take time and planning, something most politicians don't like because it doesn't give them immidiate boosts to their images.

Finally, the work is done by boogeymen on both sides of the political aisle, large engineering firms, i.e. greedy corporate interests, as well as union labor i.e. lazy protected workers stopping others from entering ther fields"

Mostly this can be laid at the feet of Republican and their tax cutting. Infrastructure maintenance is an easy cut because nobody sees it. Politicians want taxpayers to SEE something when they spend money on infrastructure.

The Army Corps of Engineers has been writing reports for decades warning of conditions of bridges, damns and other aging infrastructure.

The New Orleans Levy was their #1 national concern before Katrina. How much money could have been saved if those warnings had been heeded?

Trump ran on a campaign promise of repairing and building infrastructure. Thousands of good paying jobs rebuilding American infrastructure. Instead billions are going to a useless wall that will be torn down the moment he leaves office.

Trump could have spent the money to save lives and give work to men and women across the country. Instead he pissed it away on a vanity project.

Stupid is as stupid does.

The Democrats in Congress refuse to consider an infrastructure bill.

When have they been asked for infrastructure money other than to build the wall. The answer is “Never”.

Never has never proposed an infrastructure program. He’s talked about making a plan but show me his plan. Put a link up to Trump’s infrastructure program.

Another promise made by trump and not fulfilled. Where was that money to fix our infrastructure? Spent on the wall down south which blew over in a windstorm?

This is a state problem. How is it now Trump's fault?

No it’s not. Bridges, dams and other infrastructure are a federal responsibility hence the involvement of the Army Corps of Engineers.

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

Crumbling infrastructure and the failure of the Trump Administration to address the real problems in the nation while CB he pursues his political enemies.

Don’t make any mistake. Our crumbling infrastructure is something that should be laid at the feet of the duopoly and their blind supporters. Our nation is being failed by its elevated officials, but far too many don’t give a shit so long as their party is in power.

I don't think any "opoly" is involved. Infrastructure work is boring, and doesn't "wow" constituents like pet social projects.

They also take time and planning, something most politicians don't like because it doesn't give them immidiate boosts to their images.

Finally, the work is done by boogeymen on both sides of the political aisle, large engineering firms, i.e. greedy corporate interests, as well as union labor i.e. lazy protected workers stopping others from entering ther fields"

Mostly this can be laid at the feet of Republican and their tax cutting. Infrastructure maintenance is an easy cut because nobody sees it. Politicians want taxpayers to SEE something when they spend money on infrastructure.

The Army Corps of Engineers has been writing reports for decades warning of conditions of bridges, damns and other aging infrastructure.

The New Orleans Levy was their #1 national concern before Katrina. How much money could have been saved if those warnings had been heeded?

Trump ran on a campaign promise of repairing and building infrastructure. Thousands of good paying jobs rebuilding American infrastructure. Instead billions are going to a useless wall that will be torn down the moment he leaves office.

Trump could have spent the money to save lives and give work to men and women across the country. Instead he pissed it away on a vanity project.

When have they been asked for infrastructure money other than to build the wall. The answer is “Never”.

Never has never proposed an infrastructure program. He’s talked about making a plan but show me his plan. Put a link up to Trump’s infrastructure program.

The Democrats are in charge of the House. They refuse to consider any infrastructure bills while Trump is President. They do not want to give him a victory.

Ah, blame Trump for issues that have been going back decades. Democrats have had plenty of times being in power with both houses, and the presidency, and governorships, yet a mewling twat like you just sees it as an opportunity to blame Trump and Republicans.

Go play with your 30 cats.

Another promise made by trump and not fulfilled. Where was that money to fix our infrastructure? Spent on the wall down south which blew over in a windstorm?

You do know that there are plenty of federal programs funding infrastructure projects, right?

Ok, the Edenville dam was not privately owned-
The Four Lakes Task Force is a "county delegated authority". It operates under the Four Lakes Assessment District in the State of Michigan.[3] The Four Lakes Assessment District was created in May 2019 by Judge Stephen Carras. The State of Michigan appropriated $5 million.[16][17] In 2019, Michigan's 42nd Circuit Court was involved in determining if only the lakefront owners or all area residents would pay tax to the Four Lakes Assessment District.[18]

What will matter in the upcoming investigation:

1. When were the deficiencies noted?
2. What deficiencies were noted?
3. Who was responsible for responding to any violations noted?
4. What timeline was given for the repairs/upgrades?
It should be interesting to follow. Reminds me of the Orville dam failure.

Wasn't that the one where dam held but the spillways got messed up?
Yep. That’s true, it was the spillways.

When Governor Whitmer ran for office, she ran on one of her policy: Fix the damned roads!" But the Republicans in Lansing shot it down. She wanted to impose a 4% gas tax at the pumps at the time.
They actually passed the gas tax. They renewed it in yesterday’s election.

Last edited:

Just another fine example of neglected priorities by elected officials

Read the OP and the links, the two damns are privately built and owned.
They are still regulated.

Their Wanna-be Dictator Governor was to busy making up executive edicts for people to comply with than making sure the dams were properly maintained and in good shape.

Turns out FERc had found problems with the Sanford dam as well and they asked for an extension in Mar of 2019 to deal with issues. What the issues were I don’t know. I didn’t download the zip

1/30/2019
01/30/2019
P-2785-014
P-2785-016
P-2785-077
P-2785-081
P-2785-082
Letter to Boyce Hydro Power LLC re the Non- Compliance for the Sanford Hydroelectric Project under P-2785 et al.
Availability: Public
FERC Correspondence With Applicant /
General Correspondence

No it’s not. Bridges, dams and other infrastructure are a federal responsibility hence the involvement of the Army Corps of Engineers.
I served 6 years in the New York Army National Guard (102nd Army Corps of Engineers battalion) We did many infrastructure repairs in the state, all on the state level.

I have been concerned about this problem for YEARS >>

Two dams have breached as of last night. It is reported a third has breached this morning.

Gov. Whitmer should resign in disgrace. If she wasn't so hot to trot to end the Worship of Almighty God in Michigan, she would have had time to deal with the infrastructure. Further, the people of Central Michigan were denied an opportunity by the governor's orders to appeal to God in church to alleviate the problem with the dams and weather.

I served 6 years in the New York Army National Guard (102nd Army Corps of Engineers battalion) We did many infrastructure repairs in the state, all on the state level.
Yep, what I am reading is the specific sites are responsible for maintaining the dams.

They were just recovering from another flood a few years ago
This is today's flood. Lots of nice homes affected

Lower Peninsula got a ton of rain the last couple days

Last edited:
I thought Obamas Trillion dollar infrastructure plan fixed all this!

Your partisan bigoty is truly harmful, since the state has been under Democratic control for DECADES, meaning they could have used their majority power to be on top of these crumbling infrastructures.

The Army Corps of Engineers have no oversight of those private/county owned dams.

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back