3 children die in Bronx fire after candle lit

It's a tragedy. Arguing about who or what is to blame for it is silly.

My girlfriend is a big fan of candles, and it's something I worry about a lot - she'll leave candles burning in the house when she's not home.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

do you hold the same views about guns?

If the sole purpose of a candle was to burn houses down, you might be sniffing at a salient point. As it is....nope. And it won't be salient the next time you make it ....when a kid drowns in a tub, gets his head crushed by a garage door, or sticks a fork into a socket.

as i predicted, luddley didn't post in this thread

more proof he only cares about his political agenda and not deaths

It's a tragedy. Arguing about who or what is to blame for it is silly.

My girlfriend is a big fan of candles, and it's something I worry about a lot - she'll leave candles burning in the house when she's not home.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

If the sole purpose of a candle was to burn houses down, you might be sniffing at a salient point. As it is....nope. And it won't be salient the next time you make it ....when a kid drowns in a tub, gets his head crushed by a garage door, or sticks a fork into a socket.

so deaths matter more when a person shoots someone? you're sick in the head.

New York (CNN) -- A fire that swept through a Bronx apartment killing three young brothers was caused by a candle and occurred one day after the power company cut off electricity for unpaid bills, officials said Saturday.

Official: 3 kids die in Bronx fire after candle lit - CNN.com

incredibly tragic. the parents will never forgive themselves, but what if there was absolutely nothing they could have done to pay the bills? should the parents be liable for the children lighting the candle and causing the fire? they must not have properly showed their children how to use candles.

Not the parents fault, the power company should have been willing to work out a payment plan for the parents.

The utility did try. The utility just let it go too long.

Con Ed spokesman Allan Drury explained that the apartment's residents owed "a significant amount ... -- well into the thousands of dollars."
"We try to avoid turning service off to customers," Drury added. "We'll put them on payment plans to work with them to avoid turnoff, but this account had substantial arrears."

The parents just thought that paying the bills was someone else's obligation. What should happen is that before a utility turns off the power, they should notify the city who will start eviction proceedings before the power is cut off.

No. You seem to have missed the point.

I did not miss yours, though.

Power companies should be banned from cutting off power to anyone's property.
Banned by the federal govt from doing so.
It's the federal govt's responsibilty to ensure that every person in the nation has electricity, blankets, food and shelter.

Now look what's happened when the power was cut off.

Candles, naked flame of any sort can easily be a killer.

I banned candles from our home years ago...after when in a power blackout I lit a thick and low candle that couldn't possibly tip over, and put in on a china plate on the kitchen bench, making sure all was safe.
Mrs bianco, not liking it on the bench towards the front, moved it to the back...underneath the overhead cupboards.
Some time later I could smell something burning.
Yes the wood on the underside of the kitchen cupboards...about to catch fire.
The other day she was given a fancy, scented candle for her birthday. :)

For blackouts I now have battery-operated lanterns, torches, and a supply or rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries.

Single mother in the Bronx could probably only afford candles.
Sad really...and the fire/loss of her children is horrific and the burden on her intolerable no doubt.

Last edited:
Power companies should be banned from cutting off power to anyone's property.
Banned by the federal govt from doing so.
It's the federal govt's responsibilty to ensure that every person in the nation has electricity, blankets, food and shelter.

and WHO is going to pay for that?

what is your point, make yourself clear, don't hide behind the bushes. and what was my point?

The parents just thought that paying the bills was someone else's obligation. What should happen is that before a utility turns off the power, they should notify the city who will start eviction proceedings before the power is cut off.

You can't evict them. There are young children you would be throwing out onto the streets. Its not the answer, either.

what is your point, make yourself clear, don't hide behind the bushes. and what was my point?

My point was clear. So was yours.

thats what i thought....you can't explain your point because i was right in my interpretation of your point. you think deaths matter differently if a gun is used. sick, you're sick.

pound sand loser

You can't evict them. There are young children you would be throwing out onto the streets. Its not the answer, either.

fair point, however, should the landlord allow them to continue living there rent free for 1 year, 10 years? how long?

thats what i thought....you can't explain your point because i was right in my interpretation of your point. you think deaths matter differently if a gun is used. sick, you're sick.

pound sand loser

Nope. That is you avoiding the issue. My point was clear.

pound sand loser

Nope. That is you avoiding the issue. My point was clear.

ok circular logic....i'm right because i say i'm right. you're incapable of debate.

how dare someone ask you to explain your point, how dare someone ask you to explain their point.

you're a hack, nothing more.

A common sense, mandatory sterilization program would avoid this kind of tragedy. It is inhumane for really stupid people with no ability to afford having offspring being giving the luxury of breeding on taxpayers' money.

Very sad. The deceased children here were 2, 4 and 5 years of age. This tragedy is especially disturbing given that relatively young children were involved, and the fact that they would still be here today had the power not been cut off. My prayers go out to the family members.

Very sad. The deceased children here were 2, 4 and 5 years of age. This tragedy is especially disturbing given that relatively young children were involved, and the fact that they would still be here today had the power not been cut off. My prayers go out to the family members.

indeed

Forum List

Back