3 children die in Bronx fire after candle lit

This pisses me off because I for one believe people should not have to pay for needed things like Electricity and Water. Its bullshit. Christ even Libya under Qaddafi people didn't have to pay for Electricity yet here in the capitalist swine capital of the world we do. Unfucking believable.I bet the mother probably worked at some fast food joint that only paid minimum wage and she couldn't afford the bill and electric company refused to put ethics and morals before profits...that's capitalism for you. 3 dead kids but hey we got our money!

The parents just thought that paying the bills was someone else's obligation. What should happen is that before a utility turns off the power, they should notify the city who will start eviction proceedings before the power is cut off.

You can't evict them. There are young children you would be throwing out onto the streets. Its not the answer, either.

fair point, however, should the landlord allow them to continue living there rent free for 1 year, 10 years? how long?

That's the tough question. They can't live rent free, but you can't throw kids out onto the street, either.

This pisses me off because I for one believe people should not have to pay for needed things like Electricity and Water. Its bullshit. Christ even Libya under Qaddafi people didn't have to pay for Electricity yet here in the capitalist swine capital of the world we do. Unfucking believable.I bet the mother probably worked at some fast food joint that only paid minimum wage and she couldn't afford the bill and electric company refused to put ethics and morals before profits...that's capitalism for you. 3 dead kids but hey we got our money!

I can see what you are saying, but someone has to source that electricity and direct it into your homes and you can't really not pay a cent for that. That is what power companies are for. If they didn't exist, how would you have power?

I can see what you are saying, but someone has to source that electricity and direct it into your homes and you can't really not pay a cent for that. That is what power companies are for. If they didn't exist, how would you have power?

Why can't the government control the power? Or at the very least make sure whatever company is controlling it has a set rate for everyone,something as important as electricity should not be something worth dying over and shouldn't be a commodity that people can't afford it should be at most 25$ a month for EVERYONE...That's a max. Maybe have a company contracted through the government that deals with the outages and problems with the electricity but over all the government controls it. In a perfect NS society that's how it would be. If a 3rd rate country like Libya can do that why can't we? Because its profits before people.

Why can't the government control the power? Or at the very least make sure whatever company is controlling it has a set rate for everyone,something as important as electricity should not be something worth dying over and shouldn't be a commodity that people can't afford it should be at most 25$ a month for EVERYONE...That's a max. Maybe have a company contracted through the government that deals with the outages and problems with the electricity but over all the government controls it. In a perfect NS society that's how it would be. If a 3rd rate country like Libya can do that why can't we? Because its profits before people.

I kind of agree. No one should be paying hundreds of dollars a quarter for power - I used to pay over $400 every three months for my power, and it sent me broke and I had to move out of the home I'd had for five years.

No, sounds like electric company which our wonderful tea party backed republican government just allowed to jack the rate up another 7$ needs to fuck off trying to put people out of their homes and focus on helping them instead.

Our bill right now is over 200$ a month. Last bill total was 320$ because of the AC running. I gotta pay 220$ friday or it gets cut off...sucks but right now its life.

Sounds like you need a better job.

Its mostly the power company. Power doesn't actually cost that much, the companies jack up their prices constantly to make more money. What you pay isn't what its worth.

Our bill right now is over 200$ a month. Last bill total was 320$ because of the AC running. I gotta pay 220$ friday or it gets cut off...sucks but right now its life.

Sounds like you need a better job.

Its mostly the power company. Power doesn't actually cost that much, the companies jack up their prices constantly to make more money. What you pay isn't what its worth.
Yep. Our AG has been fighting Duke Power Company for a while now...over their rate hikes..
Where I live, you don't pay your SOL.
I think its the same everywhere.

I kind of agree. No one should be paying hundreds of dollars a quarter for power - I used to pay over $400 every three months for my power, and it sent me broke and I had to move out of the home I'd had for five years.

My electric costs 150-200+ a month.

The parents just thought that paying the bills was someone else's obligation. What should happen is that before a utility turns off the power, they should notify the city who will start eviction proceedings before the power is cut off.

You can't evict them. There are young children you would be throwing out onto the streets. Its not the answer, either.

Families are evicted every day. If they have nowhere to go, social services will provide them with transitional housing. Such services are not available "just cause". An eviction would help them get out into something else since transitional housing isn't available unless the family is actually being put out on the street.

This is what happens when people lose the understanding of the paying bills concept. They are wards of the state, totally dependent on the state. Why should they have to pay utility bills? They don't pay for anything.

When I look at my utility bills, whether it's gas, electricity or phone, the actual bill for usage is quite small, it's the government fees and taxes that are tacked on to the bill that more than doubles.

3-year-old boy playing with the burners on a kitchen stove causes deadly New York fire...
shocked.gif

Boy, three, playing with stove caused deadly N.Y. fire, officials say
December 28, 2017 | A 3-year-old boy playing with the burners on a kitchen stove started a fire in a New York City apartment building that killed 12 people, including four children, city officials said on Friday.
The toddler had a history of fiddling with the stove in the kitchen of his family’s first-floor apartment, his mother told officials investigating the deadliest fire in the city since 1990. Shortly before 7 p.m. (midnight GMT) on Thursday the child, who had been left unattended, started screaming as the kitchen filled with smoke and fire, Daniel Nigro, the city’s fire department commissioner, told reporters at a news conference. His mother grabbed him and a younger sibling, running outside to safety and leaving the apartment door open. “The stairway acted like a chimney,” Nigro said at the Friday news conference. The blaze swept out the apartment doorway to higher floors of the five-story building, fanned by fresh oxygen each time frightened tenants flung open windows. “People had very little time to react,” he said. “They couldn’t get back down the stairs. Those that tried perished.”

Children aged 1, 2 and 7 as well as a boy whose age was unknown died, along with four men and four women, according to the New York Police Department. Among the dead were at least three members of the same family Karen Francis, 37, Charmela Francis, 7, and Kylie Francis, 2. Also identified as deceased were Maria Batiz, 58, and 19-year-old Shantay Young. “Children starting fires is not rare,” Nigro said. He emphasized that young children should not be left unattended, and those fleeing apartment fires should always shut doors behind them once the last person is out. Authorities said firefighters rescued 12 people from the building and four people were in the hospital in critical condition. More than 160 firefighters responded to the four-alarm blaze, the first arriving about 3 minutes after emergency calls came in. About 20 people were already on fire escapes, Nigro said. New York City is going through a bitter cold snap with temperatures in the low-teens Fahrenheit (minus teens Celsius)and high winds.

At least 14 families were homeless, and four of them were taken to hotels, according to the American Red Cross. “There’s still around 10 families we have not connected with yet,” said Michael de Vulpillieres, a Red Cross spokesman. Red Cross representatives stationed on the block offered blankets and smoke alarm installations to residents. Firefighters sifted through the charred interior of the building, but the exterior showed little damage and the red fire escapes were intact. Shards of glass and chunks of ice littered the sidewalk outside. The building, with 26 apartments, has at least six open building code violations, according to city records. One violation was for a broken smoke detector in an apartment on the first floor, reported in August. “I know there were concerns raised about the building itself,” Mayor Bill de Blasio told WNYC. “Based on the research we have at this moment, it does not appear there was anything problematic about the building or the fire safety in the building.”

The building is in the Belmont section of the Bronx, a primarily residential, close-knit neighbourhood known as the “Little Italy” of the borough, near Fordham University and the Bronx Zoo. It was the deadliest fire in the city since an arsonist torched a Bronx nightclub in 1990, killing 87 people inside the venue that did not have fire exits, alarms or sprinklers, the New York Times reported. In 2007, 10 immigrants from Mali, including nine children, died after a space heater caught fire in a Bronx building.

Boy, three, playing with stove caused deadly N.Y. fire, officials say

Hero Guardsman Rescued Others Before Dying in NYC Fire...
cry.gif

National Guardsman Rescued Others Before Dying in NYC Fire
31 Dec 2017 - Emmanuel Mensah rescued several people before returning to the burning building, where he died of smoke inhalation.
The victims of New York City's deadliest fire in decades include a man who immigrated to the Bronx from Ghana and dreamed of becoming a military policeman.

A relative told The New York Times that Emmanuel Mensah had rescued a number of people before going back into the burning building, where he died of smoke inhalation.

emmanuelmensah123117.jpg

Army National Guardsman Emmanuel Mensah.​

Twum Bredu said Mensah had recently graduated from Army National Guard boot camp.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said the fire that killed a dozen people on Thursday night started on a stove and raced through a door and up five floors.

National Guardsman Rescued Others Before Dying in NYC Fire

Forum List

Back