500,000 Poor Kids Could Lose Eligibility for Free School Lunch

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...ries-impact-of-food-stamp-eligibility-changes

How can we expect our students to succeed in school if they aren't properly fed? No child should go hungry.
Why is it my responsibility to feed other peoples children. It is the "parents" responsibility, just like it was mine. There is nothing wrong or as cheap as PB&J and a pint of milk. But no, liberals must indoctrinate that the government is the Mommy of the children so they suckle off the government teats, thus enabling those children to be "Victims" of liberalism. Eliminate liberalism, then there is no more poverty and misery in the world.

I'm a little torn on this one. I agree it's a parental responsibility it's not a kid's fault their parents have none.

Part of this is the result of misplaced equality. To prevent students from using the free lunch program to harass poor children it was decided that all children get on the free lunch program.

It's a waste of money.

Here is a little known fact. If 40% of the students in a school district are eligible for food stamps, all children are eligible for free lunch, often a snack, and sometimes breakfast as well.

Some families only qualify for small amounts of food stamps per month, but free school meals for three kids could easily be worth $250 per month.

The principal's kids, who get no food stamps, also get the same free meals.

During the summer most of those have a summer lunch box program.

Part of this is the result of misplaced equality. To prevent students from using the free lunch program to harass poor children it was decided that all children get on the free lunch program.

It's a waste of money.
It's a waste of money feeding children? :cuckoo:

I'm a little torn on this one. I agree it's a parental responsibility it's not a kid's fault their parents have none.

at best its a local issue not federal,,,

Agreed. I just don't like the idea of a child going hungry

who does???

but when their life depends on a far away central government to feed them their lives are to dependent and subject to things like this,,,

I said I agreed

"However, officials from the U.S. Department of Agriculture say that the proposal would require people who receive benefits through TANF to pass a review of their income and assets to determine whether they are eligible for benefits from SNAP."

Half of all TANF households have no adult member, only children. Many of them have payment names that are not parents. An aunt or grandmother gets TANF for her relative children, regardless of her income. "She" is not on welfare, but the kids are. In some states they also food stamps, which of course goes to the non-welfare relative. Free school meals is a tag-a-long program

Often the parents are in cahoots with the relative, so they do not have to comply with program requirements, like work.

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...ries-impact-of-food-stamp-eligibility-changes

How can we expect our students to succeed in school if they aren't properly fed? No child should go hungry.

then their parents should feed them,,,

why arent the parents that refuse to feed their children arrested???
Because there is a justice system that punishes the law abiding citizens and rewards the criminals. People "walk" thousands of miles dragging their children behind them, much abused in their travels, they get rewarded by the left, while those who dont want to have to feed other peoples children are accused of being greedy by the same left.

It's a waste of money.
It's a waste of money feeding children? :cuckoo:
Yes. Absolutely. When the children being fed come from households well able to pay then giving them free lunch is a total waste of money.

Here is a little known fact. If 40% of the students in a school district are eligible for food stamps, all children are eligible for free lunch, often a snack, and sometimes breakfast as well.

Some families only qualify for small amounts of food stamps per month, but free school meals for three kids could easily be worth $250 per month.

The principal's kids, who get no food stamps, also get the same free meals.

During the summer most of those have a summer lunch box program.
It goes beyond being eligible. So the eligible children don't feel differently than children who can afford to pay, ALL children are required to receive free lunches. It's equality
It is also a waste of money.

Forum List

Back