75% of economists saying doing nothing will cost dramatically more than acting on global warming

Are you accusing me or the economists in the subject survey of being Gaia cultists? On what would that be based? And you seem to ignore the predictions of global warming deniers; that global warming would stop or reverse. Global temperatures are still increasing. The world's ice and snow are still melting and the level of the world's oceans continues to rise.

First off, global temperatures are not increasing.

You are most definitely a Gaia cultist.

As for your vaunted economists, the reality is they are bowing to peer pressure for conformity. I've spent over a decade in higher education, a BS in MIS, then an MBA, and finally an Sc.D. in SCM. Where disciplines such as medicine, engineering, mathematics, or my own logistics all have practical applications in the real world, those with an economics degree have but one avenue, to teach.

Economists are at the mercy of academia to survive. As an under grad and then a graduate student, I too was at the mercy of the nutbag fascists of academia. You chant the mantras of the cult to survive. The 26% who bucked the AGW dogma were brave souls indeed. The fascists allow no deviance from the theological canon of the cult. The cult is simply too lucrative for academia to allow anyone to upset the apple cart.

Thing is, once I earned my MBA, I no longer had to bow to the priests and shamans of the cult. Doctoral programs are different, all that matters is the research project, there are no professors to earn a grade from. Once awarded my doctorate, I continued in the private sector, as that is where production systems are utilized.

But economists must beg the universities for work. Higher education is the most fascist environment in history, hence they either profess faith in the cult or they will be canceled, regardless of tenure.
The 26% who bucked the AGW dogma were brave souls indeed.

As far as we know, this "75% of economists" could well be as self-selected as the fake "94% of scientists" number the hoaxers are always tossing around.

The 26% who bucked the AGW dogma were brave souls indeed.

As far as we know, this "75% of economists" could well be as self-selected as the fake "94% of scientists" number the hoaxers are always tossing around.

Could be, but the pressure to conform in academia is overwhelming.

Students risk their grade if they question dogma, professors risk their careers and livelihoods.

One thing our Universities WILL NOT TOLERATE is critical thinking and intellectual curiosity.

The first thing I noticed is that the survey was very selective on who they picked to respond ... what of the economists that just threw away the letter they received? ... I don't know how many economists there are in the world, but picking the 738 that believe in catastrophic climate change doesn't establish a consensus ... it's an example of statistical trickery by limiting our sample pool to drive up percentages ... if we only ask men, we can prove all parents are fathers ...

The survey used the RPC8.5 scenario ... which is the extreme condition, vanishingly small probability of occurring ... most likely is the RPC4.5 scenario, which predicts only a 2ºC increase and leveling off there in 100 years ... none of the survey questions asked about the basic science ... it's easy for the untrained to violate nature laws ...

Yes, all those economists are also degree'd experts in climatology.

This particular topic is an economic one, but if you think the opinion of degreed climate scientists has merit

No more than I do that of psychologists and psychiatrists, the craziest people on the planet.

Another consensus argument from an organization that benefits from the bogus narrative.

There is NO climate concern to worry about.

Please explain how economists benefit from the acceptance of AGW to the extent that a large majority of them would choose to lie.

Economists like to hang out with the cool kids.

Alternative to climate change that is warming would be that which is cooling.
Do we really want to try tripping the next Ice Age via geo-engineering?
Is a slightly warmer average global climate really as bad as a much colder one, especially if it pushes closer to an Ice Age?

I didn't see anyone advocating geo-engineering. Besides, if you don't like geo-engineering, why do you seem to have no problem with pushing the Earth's GHG levels up almost 50%?

I didn't see anyone advocating geo-engineering.

A Bill Gates Venture Aims To Spray Dust Into The Atmosphere To Block The Sun. What Could Go Wrong? (forbes.com)

why do you seem to have no problem with pushing the Earth's GHG levels up almost 50%?

Because cheap, reliable energy comes in handy for an advanced economy.

ten yrs my ass,,

you fucks have been howling for almost 50 yrs about this subject,, and youve been wrong 100% of the time,,

That's not what reality tells the world's scientists. To what have you been listening?
theyve been wrong for 50 yrs,, not seeing any credibility here,,

and its ponly been a select few scientist,,

To what "select few scientists" do you refer?
the ones that claim climate change,, they are but a few that make the claim,, most of the others dont see it,,

I'm afraid that's complete nonsense. Numerous surveys, polls and studies have shown very high acceptance of AGW among published scientists. I have printed the list you can find in Wikipedia if you insist on seeing it. If you have a source that says otherwise, let's see that.

Alternative to climate change that is warming would be that which is cooling.
Do we really want to try tripping the next Ice Age via geo-engineering?
Is a slightly warmer average global climate really as bad as a much colder one, especially if it pushes closer to an Ice Age?

I didn't see anyone advocating geo-engineering. Besides, if you don't like geo-engineering, why do you seem to have no problem with pushing the Earth's GHG levels up almost 50%?

I didn't see anyone advocating geo-engineering.

A Bill Gates Venture Aims To Spray Dust Into The Atmosphere To Block The Sun. What Could Go Wrong? (forbes.com)

why do you seem to have no problem with pushing the Earth's GHG levels up almost 50%?

Because cheap, reliable energy comes in handy for an advanced economy.

Nothing cheaper than solar and wind.

How much would US CO2 drop if we deported 20 million illegal aliens?
better yet deport 30 million illegal aliens

Best yet: deport everyone below a certain IQ.

Racist!

How have you been Todd?

ten yrs my ass,,

you fucks have been howling for almost 50 yrs about this subject,, and youve been wrong 100% of the time,,

That's not what reality tells the world's scientists. To what have you been listening?

the ones that claim climate change,, they are but a few that make the claim,, most of the others dont see it,,

I'm afraid that's complete nonsense. Numerous surveys, polls and studies have shown very high acceptance of AGW among published scientists. I have printed the list you can find in Wikipedia if you insist on seeing it. If you have a source that says otherwise, let's see that.
you do know on wikipedias front page they openly say they are not a reliable source dont you???

sorry only your polls say that,, the rest of them say otherwise,,

ten yrs my ass,,

you do know on wikipedias front page they openly say they are not a reliable source dont you???

sorry only your polls say that,, the rest of them say otherwise,,

Here's the References section of the Wikipedia article: "Surveys of scientist's views on climate change". When you think you've got something scientifically equivalent, let us know:

References[edit]
  1. ^ Cook, John; Oreskes, Naomi; Doran, Peter T.; Anderegg, William R. L.; et al. (2016). "Consensus on consensus: a synthesis of consensus estimates on human-caused global warming". Environmental Research Letters. 11 (4): 048002. Bibcode:2016ERL....11d8002C. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002.
  2. ^ Jump up to:a b c Powell, James (20 November 2019). "Scientists Reach 100% Consensus on Anthropogenic Global Warming". Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society. 37 (4): 183–184. doi:10.1177/0270467619886266. S2CID 213454806. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
  3. ^ Jump up to:a b Bray, Dennis; Hans von Storch (1999). "Climate Science: An Empirical Example of Postnormal Science". Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. 80 (3): 439–455. Bibcode:1999BAMS...80..439B. doi:10.1175/1520-0477(1999)080<0439:CSAEEO>2.0.CO;2. ISSN 1520-0477.
  4. ^ Cook, John; Oreskes, Naomi; Doran, Peter T.; Anderegg, William R. L.; Verheggen, Bart; Maibach, Ed W.; Carlton, J. Stuart; Lewandowsky, Stephan; Skuce, Andrew G.; Green, Sarah A. (2016), "Consensus on consensus: a synthesis of consensus estimates on human-caused global warming", Environmental Research Letters, 11 (44): 048002, Bibcode:2016ERL....11d8002C, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002048002
  5. ^ Powell, James Lawrence (12 June 2014). Four Revolutions in the Earth Sciences: From Heresy to Truth. Columbia University Press. p. 367. ISBN 978-0231164481.
  6. ^ Verheggen, Bart; Strengers, Bart; Cook, John; van Dorland, Rob; Vringer, Kees; Peters, Jeroen; Visser, Hans; Meyer, Leo (19 August 2014). "Scientists' Views about Attribution of Global Warming". Environmental Science & Technology. 48 (16): 8963–8971. Bibcode:2014EnST...48.8963V. doi:10.1021/es501998e. PMID 25051508.
  7. ^ Verheggen, Bart; Strengers, Bart; Vringer, Kees; Cook, John; Dorland, Rob van; Peters, Jeroen; Visser, Hans; Meyer, Leo (2 December 2014). "Reply to Comment on "Scientists' Views about Attribution of Global Warming"". Environmental Science & Technology. 48 (23): 14059–14060. Bibcode:2014EnST...4814059V. doi:10.1021/es505183e. ISSN 0013-936X. PMID 25405594.
  8. ^ Powell, James Lawrence (15 November 2012), "The State of Climate Science: A Thorough Review of the Scientific Literature on Global Warming", Science Progress, retrieved 21 September2016
  9. ^ Powell, James Lawrence (2011). The Inquisition of Climate Science. Columbia University Press. ISBN 978-0-231-15718-6.
  10. ^ Plait, P. (11 December 2012). "Why Climate Change Denial Is Just Hot Air". Slate. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
  11. ^ Sheppard, Kate (1 December 2012). "CHART: Only 0.17 Percent of Peer-Reviewed Papers Question Global Warming". Mother Jones. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
  12. ^ Plait, P. (14 January 2014). "The Very, Very Thin Wedge of Denial". Slate. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
  13. ^ Gertz, Emily (10 January 2014). "Infographic: Scientists Who Doubt Human-Caused Climate Change". Popular Science. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
  14. ^ The study in question was: Avakyan, S. V. (2013). "The role of solar activity in global warming". Herald of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 83 (3): 275–285. doi:10.1134/S1019331613030015.
  15. ^ Jump up to:a b c Cook, John; Dana Nuccitelli; Sarah A Green; Mark Richardson; Bärbel Winkler; Rob Painting; Robert Way; Peter Jacobs; Andrew Skuce (May 2013). "Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature". Environmental Research Letters. 8 (2): 024024. Bibcode:2013ERL.....8b4024C. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024.
  16. ^ Oreskes, Naomi (2007). "The scientific consensus on climate change: how do we know we're not wrong?" (PDF). Climate Change: What It Means for Us, Our Children, and Our Grandchildren. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. p. 72. Retrieved 9 August 2013. [Scientists] generally focus their discussions on questions that are still disputed or unanswered rather than on matters about which everyone agrees
  17. ^ Benestad, Rasmus E.; Nuccitelli, Dana; Lewandowsky, Stephan; Hayhoe, Katharine; Hygen, Hans Olav; van Dorland, Rob; Cook, John (November 2016). "Learning from mistakes in climate research". Theoretical and Applied Climatology. 126 (3–4): 699–703. doi:10.1007/s00704-015-1597-5. ISSN 0177-798X.
  18. ^ ""Structure of Scientific Opinion on Climate Change" at Journalist's Resource.org".
  19. ^ Jump up to:a b Stephen J. Farnsworth; S. Robert Lichter (27 October 2011). "The Structure of Scientific Opinion on Climate Change". International Journal of Public Opinion Research. 24: 93–103. doi:10.1093/ijpor/edr033. Retrieved 2 December 2011.Paywalled; full test online here, retrieved 30 November 2014. From Table I, "Q: In your opinion, is human-induced greenhouse warming now occurring?" Yes, 84%. No, 5%. Don't Know, 12%
  20. ^ Jump up to:a b c William R. L. Anderegg; James W. Prall; Jacob Harold & Stephen H. Schneider (9 April 2010). "Expert credibility in climate change". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 107 (27): 12107–12109. Bibcode:2010PNAS..10712107A. doi:10.1073/pnas.1003187107. PMC 2901439. PMID 20566872.
  21. ^ Jump up to:a b Doran, Peter T.; Maggie Kendall Zimmerman (20 January 2009). "Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change" (PDF). EOS. 90 (3): 22–23. Bibcode:2009EOSTr..90...22D. doi:10.1029/2009EO030002.
  22. ^ Scientists 'Convinced' of Climate Consensus More Prominent Than Opponents, Says Paper by Eli Kintisch, "Science Insider", Science, 21 June 2010
  23. ^ Doran and Zimmerman. "Consensus on Climate Change (Note: the misspelling is only in the URL)". Prof. Peter Doran: My Soapbox/Public Outreach. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
  24. ^ Jump up to:a b c Bray, Dennis; von Storch, Hans (2010). "A Survey of the Perspectives of Climate Scientists Concerning Climate Science and Climate Change" (PDF).
  25. ^ Bray, Dennis (August 2010). "The scientific consensus of climate change revisited" (PDF). Environmental Science & Policy. 13 (5): 340–350. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2010.04.001., copy online at [1]
  26. ^ Bray, D.; von Storch H. (2009). "Prediction' or 'Projection; The nomenclature of climate science" (PDF). Science Communication. 30 (4): 534–543. doi:10.1177/1075547009333698. Copy available online at [2], retrieved 30 November 2014
  27. ^ Lavelle, Marianne (23 April 2008). "Survey Tracks Scientists' Growing Climate Concern". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 20 January 2010.
  28. ^ Lichter, S. Robert (24 April 2008). "Climate Scientists Agree on Warming, Disagree on Dangers, and Don't Trust the Media's Coverage of Climate Change". Statistical Assessment Service, George Mason University. Archived from the original on 11 January 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2010.
  29. ^ Naomi Oreskes (21 January 2005) [3 December 2004]. "Beyond the Ivory Tower: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change"(PDF). Science. 306 (5702): 1686. doi:10.1126/science.1103618. PMID 15576594. (see also for an exchange of letters to Science)
  30. ^ Bray, Dennis; Storch, Hans von. "Climate Scientists' Perceptions of Climate Change Science". GKSS Report 11/2007.
  31. ^ Climate scientists’ views on climate change: a survey
  32. ^ R. Nixon, "Limbaughesque Science", citing a press release by Gallup in the San Francisco Chronicle, 9/27/92.
  33. ^ Steve Rendall, "The Hypocrisy of George Will", FAIR report, citing the San Francisco Chronicle, 9/27/92.
  34. ^ Albandy.edu
  35. ^ "T. R. Stewart, J. L. Mumpower, P. Reagan-Cirincione, "Scientists' Agreement and Disagreement about Global Climate Change: Evidence from Surveys", 15" (PDF).

And, here is the first section of that same Wikipedia article:

Powell, 2019
In 2019, James L. Powell, a former member of the National Science Board,[5] analysed titles of peer-reviewed studies published in the first seven months of 2019 and found not a single study disagreed with the consensus view. When the titles implied uncertainty about the cause of climate change, the abstracts or the article in its entirety were examined. The total amount of articles found via Web of Science was 11,602.[2]

Verheggen et al., 2014
In 2014, Bart Verheggen of the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency surveyed 1,868 climate scientists. They found that, consistent with other research, the level of agreement on anthropogenic causation correlated with expertise - 90% of those surveyed with more than 10 peer-reviewed papers related to climate (just under half of survey respondents) explicitly agreed that greenhouse gases were the main cause of global warming.[6] They included researchers on mitigation and adaptation in their surveys in addition to physical climate scientists, leading to a slightly lower level of consensus compared to previous studies.[7]

Powell, 2013
James L. Powell analyzed published research on global warming and climate change between 1991 and 2012 and found that of the 13,950 articles in peer-reviewed journals, only 24 (<0.2%) rejected anthropogenic global warming.[8][9][10][11] This was a follow-up to an analysis looking at 2,258 peer-reviewed articles published between November 2012 and December 2013 revealed that only one of the 9,136 authors rejected anthropogenic global warming.[12][13][14]

John Cook et al., 2013
Main article: Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature
Cook et al. examined 11,944 abstracts from the peer-reviewed scientific literature from 1991–2011 that matched the topics 'global climate change' or 'global warming'.[15] They found that, while 66.4% of them expressed no position on anthropogenic global warming (AGW), of those that did, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are contributing to global warming. They also invited authors to rate their own papers and found that, while 35.5% rated their paper as expressing no position on AGW, 97.2% of the rest endorsed the consensus. In both cases the percentage of endorsements among papers expressing a position was marginally increasing over time. They concluded that the number of papers actually rejecting the consensus on AGW is a vanishingly small proportion of the published research.[15]

In their discussion of the results, the authors said that the large proportion of abstracts that state no position on AGW is as expected in a consensus situation, as anticipated in a chapter published in 2007,[16] adding that "the fundamental science of AGW is no longer controversial among the publishing science community and the remaining debate in the field has moved on to other topics."[15]

A 2016 study entitled Learning from mistakes in climate research examined the quality of the 3% of peer-reviewed papers discovered by this work to reject the consensus view. They discovered that "replication reveals a number of methodological flaws, and a pattern of common mistakes emerges that is not visible when looking at single isolated cases".[17]

Farnsworth and Lichter, 2011
In an October 2011 paper published in the International Journal of Public Opinion Research, researchers from George Mason University analyzed the results of a survey of 998 scientists working in academia, government, and industry. The scientists polled were members of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) or the American Meteorological Society (AMS) and listed in the 23rd edition of American Men and Women of Science, a biographical reference work on leading American scientists, and 489 returned completed questionnaires. Of those who replied, 97% agreed that global temperatures have risen over the past century. 84% agreed that "human-induced greenhouse warming is now occurring," 5% disagreed, and 12% didn't know.[18][19]

When asked what they regard as "the likely effects of global climate change in the next 50 to 100 years," on a scale of 1 to 10, from Trivial to Catastrophic: 13% of respondents replied 1 to 3 (trivial/mild), 44% replied 4 to 7 (moderate), 41% replied 8 to 10 (severe/catastrophic), and 2% didn't know.[19]

Anderegg, Prall, Harold, and Schneider, 2010

By Cook 2011 based on Doran 2009 and Anderegg 2010 studies. 97–98% of the most published climate researchers say humans are very likely causing most global warming.[20] In another study 97.4% of publishing specialists in climate change say that human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures.[21]
Anderegg et al., in a 2010 paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), reviewed publication and citation data for 1,372 climate researchers, based on authorship of scientific assessment reports and membership on multisignatory statements about anthropogenic climate change. The number of climate-relevant publications authored or coauthored by each researcher was used to define their 'expertise', and the number of citations for each of the researcher's four highest-cited papers was used to define their 'prominence'. Removing researchers who had authored fewer than 20 climate publications reduced the database to 908 researchers but did not materially alter the results. The authors of the paper say that their database of researchers "is not comprehensive nor designed to be representative of the entire climate science community," but say that since they drew the researchers from the most high-profile reports and public statements, it is likely that it represents the "strongest and most credentialed" researchers both 'convinced by the evidence' (CE) and 'unconvinced by the evidence' (UE) on the tenets of anthropogenic climate change.[20][22]

Anderegg et al. drew the following two conclusions:

(i) 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the tenets of ACC (Anthropogenic Climate Change) outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and (ii) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the convinced researchers.[20]
There's not many of these surveys being conducted anymore as claims that the majority of climate scientists don't accept AGW as valid are found these days only among the fringiest of the fringe.

How much do we need to raise taxes by this time to fix this?
none

We need to cut spending

Leftists do not know how to do that.

Tax and spend.

On gender self identification freedoms.

You might want to look at the economic performance of, say, Bill Clinton. Then there's this: https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/d...ich-presidents-have-been-best-for-the-economy

It doesn't mention the IRA to roth IRA conversion Tax WindFall my lady?

Pulling forward and spending future generations tax revenue will have negative consequences honey.

Last edited:

ten yrs my ass,,

PonderWiki.jpg

Forum List

Back