80 Years today the bravest of men, most who will never be known, gave everything for all the right reasons.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
As Churchill said, I'm going by memory here: "never have so many, owed so much to so few".

Here is a link to some key details about D-Day for those who haven't taken the time to learn about it It also happened to be Canadas brightest hour. Farm boys who died without the joy of so many of lifes experiences. This is why EVERY person today owes them their commitment to the principles they died for. NOT for any Political Party full of many who have risked nothing.

It is difficult to imagine what they must have felt that day as their boats opened up and they had to trudge under heavy fire through the waves to the deadly beaches.

All wars, at all times and places, have always been hell on Earth. But it is impossible for me to see the old films of that invasion and not be awed by the men of “the greatest generation.”

As Churchill said, I'm going by memory here: "never have so many, owed so much to so few".

Here is a link to some key details about D-Day for those who haven't taken the time to learn about it It also happened to be Canadas brightest hour. Farm boys who died without the joy of so many of lifes experiences. This is why EVERY person today owes them their commitment to the principles they died for. NOT for any Political Party full of many who have risked nothing.

It is an irony that those thousands Soldies, Sailor and Airman fought to free Eurpose of Fascism, and my today fascists are fighting to destroy America Democracy.

Also, just the MAGA MAGGOTS, just remember that your Orange god called those brave Americans, Men and Women who fought our country and died for our country, he called them, "Suckers and Losers."

It is difficult to imagine what they must have felt that day as their boats opened up and they had to trudge under heavy fire through the waves to the deadly beaches.

All wars, at all times and places, have always been hell on Earth. But it is impossible for me to see the old films of that invasion and not be awed by the men of “the greatest generation.”

I can't lie, I get emotional about sentimental things, especially expressions of courage which to me represent the highest character of our species. Even moreso when committed for noble reasons.

Nov 11th and June 6th always bring the tears. I have the utmost respect and feel humbled by their deeds. It makes so many other sacrifices seem pedestrian in comparison.

It is an irony that those thousands Soldies, Sailor and Airman fought to free Eurpose of Fascism, and my today fascists are fighting to destroy America Democracy.

Also, just the MAGA MAGGOTS, just remember that your Orange god called those brave Americans, Men and Women who fought our country and died for our country, he called them, "Suckers and Losers."

What Fascists?

The left is far more authoritarian these days than the right. They just try to hide it in semantics.

No he didn’t. You gullible asshole.

I've known about it for a long time. If an uncle of mine fell asleep while watching tv, he'd be right back there

and having serious nightmares. I reckon he told me about it once. Probably only once, because they didn't talk

about it back in those days. So..they were taking cover in an artillery crater, and another mortar or something hits,

and the leg of a guy he went through basic with and was right there then, flew right past my uncle's face,

severed and bloody. His friend was still alive for a few minutes, and my uncle went and held him until he died.

He may have stayed there a little too long. IMO, he was there a lot for the rest of his life.

He had no fear if he was awake, but if he fell asleep, he had terrors. Bad.

My wife and I visited the Me'morial de Caen in Normandy, it's built over old German Command Bunke. As you enter your going down into the Museum, above is a larged picture of Hitler. A truly imposing way to look at him. Later we visited the D-Beaches and one cemetaries for American Dead. We stopped by grave Brig. General Teddy Rossevelt, he died of heart attack.

Today we assume "all the right reasons" but most of the D-Day Troops were there because their number came up in the draft.

Today we assume "all the right reasons" but most of the D-Day Troops were there because their number came up in the draft.

A BIG chunk volunteered, this wasn't Vietnam. About 40% were volunteers and at some point after 1942 I believe, even those who went to enlist were often placed on a reserve list because they had so many soldiers and needed to have an effective schedule to train them all appropriately.

Woodrow Wilson sent Troops to Europe to save France from the Hun and 25 years later we had to do it all over again. The victors write the history books so today we are taught that the Germans were fooled and the landing was a rousing victory but nobody talks about the fact that it took months and countless lives to break out of Normandy. The Vietnam based movie "We were Soldiers" claims that the Troops weren't fighting for their Country or their Flag but for each other. It's a good bet that the same attitude was more accurate for D-Day Troops but the 80 year span mellows the memory.

The attitude that American soldiers do not have values like a love of freedom and what their nation stands for and a compassion for those in foreign countries who are being oppressed is wrong. Do not judge American soldiers by some movie.
Take the time to meet and get to know some and you will find the true story. My uncle was proud to do two terms in the Vietnam war and found the people there to be as he said to me were fine folks like your mother's side of the family.
And I can say the same for another uncle who as a Marine also saw a horror show called The Korean Conflict.

I just arrived back in the UK from ten days in Normandy, managed to see some of the few veterans still with us, met up with some people i have known on other visits, one of my uncles was killed 12 days after landing on Gold Beach on D-Day aged just 17 which seems insane to me, he is buried in Bayeux with seven others from his Battalion killed on the same day, his name is inscribed on the British memorial at Ver-Sur-Mer at Gold Beach with over twenty thousand others, a very impressive structure, it was my last visit but the memories will stay with me for ever.

Attachments

• DSCN7403.JPG
    DSCN7403.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN7397.JPG
    DSCN7397.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 2

Forum List

Back