80's Tunes...

Time Zone (J. Lydon, Afrika Bambaataa & B. Laswell) - World Destruction (1984)

Dangit, I was planning on posting that tonight. :eusa_dance:

Get used to it, I am extremely intuitive to a point of freaking people out.
But then I saw your Johnny Rotten vid and that Dance song came to mind.

Who were the DJ's that influenced your alternative music slant?
Mine came from music mags reviewing a lot of Brittish stuff thus chance purchases of imports, and College radio stations then Club DJ's. My city of Philly had 3 Major alt DJ's that heavilly influenced the music scene besides me there was the late
Lee Paris (college radio and club DJ),
Bobby Startup (hot club then East Side Club), and Mel Toxic
(college radio and some traveling to various clubs presenting bands).

Get used to it, I am extremely intuitive to a point of freaking people out.
But then I saw your Johnny Rotten vid and that Dance song came to mind.

Who were the DJ's that influenced your alternative music slant?
Mine came from music mags reviewing a lot of Brittish stuff thus chance purchases of imports, and College radio stations then Club DJ's. My city of Philly had 3 Major alt DJ's that heavilly influenced the music scene besides me there was the late
Lee Paris (college radio and club DJ),
Bobby Startup (hot club then East Side Club), and Mel Toxic
(college radio and some traveling to various clubs presenting bands).

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I had San Jose State University's station which featured alternative music at the time, and then LIVE105 in San Francisco turned alt in '86 (filling a gap left by the demise of "The Quake" in '85) with DJ and music director Steve Masters, who had a modern rock segment when LIVE105 was still played pop music as "Hot Hits KITS". The other DJs at the time were Big Rick Stuart, Rolland West, and Mark Hamilton and was a pretty stable line-up even through the grunge years. I would also tune in to MTV's 120 Minutes with Dave Kendall, and later Matt Pinfield.

Speaking of Johnny Rotten, I was just watching a Kate Bush documentary and he was very complimentary of her unique style even if his friends weren't into her.

Yeah I like "running up that hill", surprised he admitted liking her stuff cause he's so guarded with his image. *L*
Did you post his song "Public Image" yet?

how can I forget this one:
Bauhaus-Third Uncle

Last edited:
Trio "Da da da"
The only band to get people from NY to LA dance to a cheap casio drum sound.

Ok here's a true Gem.
One of The least known Bands of the 80's with one of the best albums They wrote the first MTV video song (just didn't perform it) the Buggles made their song famous by doing their version of
"Video Killed the Radio Star"
THOMAS Dolby was the keyboardist and they still are lesser known of that era.
The band: Bruce Wooley and the Camera Club
the song:"Clean Clean"

fixed the link, the Buggle's version comparison was awful, but listening to
this version is no better. It claims to be the album version but it's no way near the version I have, so either I have an import or this version is one. If I find my version I'll post it here. You'll be able to see the difference between domestic and imports.

Last edited:
I liked everything in the 1980's to be honest - funk, rap, corny pop music, rock it was all good.... but when I think 1980's (for me, I think, Duran Duran).

Forum List

Back