8yo fires assault rifle over pedestrian's heads

^^^ The boy's mom should be thrown in there with the guy because her kid took it from her possession and it was illegal property.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

There are .22's on the market that are made to look like an assualt rifle. And a .22 can kill.

Thurston High School shooting tragedy unfolded 10 years ago | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13
Early on the morning of May 21, Kinkel drove his mother's car to Thurston High School. He entered the school in a trench coat with two handguns, a rifle, a knife and more than 1,200 rounds of ammunition.

At 7:50 a.m., Kinkle entered the school and shot Ryan Atteberry and Ben Walker in a hallway. Walker died later at the hospital.

Kinkel walked into the cafeteria filled with 200 students and started firing, getting off 51 shots and making 37 hits.

One bullet killed Mikael Nicholauson. Another 25 students are wounded.

When Kinkel stopped to reload his gun, students Jake Ryker and Adam Walburger tackled Kinkel. Several boys piled on Kinkel, holding him down until police arrived.

Anything can kill. Hell, spatulas, corckscrews, and guitars have been used to murder people.

Ummm... don't think spatulas, corkscrews or guitars can be fired over (or at) pedestrians' heads though...

Or from a tower...
Or from the trunk of a car...

You get the idea.

I find myself being somehow slightly proud that I haven't a clue what difference there is between a .22 rifle and an "assault" rifle. I'm pretty sure if someone was firing one about in my presence I'd be ducking with the same speed no matter what the calibre.

You would be right to do so. As has been pointed out, a .22 can kill.

But the term "assault rifle" does not fit a .22 of any sort. It may have been a semi-auto, and it may have had furniture made to look like an AR or AK, but it is not an assault rifle.

I'll defer to your knowledge on this matter as it is undoubtedly superior to mine in respect of the classification of firearms. My point is that "assault" or "non assault" is a matter of semantics that makes no real difference to the crux of the matter, that a weapon was dischanged by an 8 year old in a public place causing panic.

Exactly. "Assault rifle" is as redundant as "ink pen". Meaningless term. If you've been shot with an 18th century musket, you're still assaulted.

You would be right to do so. As has been pointed out, a .22 can kill.

But the term "assault rifle" does not fit a .22 of any sort. It may have been a semi-auto, and it may have had furniture made to look like an AR or AK, but it is not an assault rifle.

I'll defer to your knowledge on this matter as it is undoubtedly superior to mine in respect of the classification of firearms. My point is that "assault" or "non assault" is a matter of semantics that makes no real difference to the crux of the matter, that a weapon was dischanged by an 8 year old in a public place causing panic.

I agree. My complaint is that the term "assault rifle" is inaccurate. It was not used to clarify the details of the story but to elicit a response of fear.

Yes, the felon should never have had the rifle. Yes, the 8 year old should never have had access to a loaded firearm. Those are the issues to be addressed.

But in today's political climate, legislation is created based on knee-jerk reactions to, often, inaccurate information.

We have a gun culture where an 8-year-old is shooting at people because "guns are so cool" -------------------- and your concern is an adjective.

A gun left where a child can get at is should be a felony. If you own a gun, you are responsible for it, and how it is used.

You saying a lot of black parents in Chicago neighborhoods should be locked up?

Me too.

Finally we agree.

I agree. My complaint is that the term "assault rifle" is inaccurate. It was not used to clarify the details of the story but to elicit a response of fear.

Yes, the felon should never have had the rifle. Yes, the 8 year old should never have had access to a loaded firearm. Those are the issues to be addressed.

But in today's political climate, legislation is created based on knee-jerk reactions to, often, inaccurate information.

We have a gun culture where an 8-year-old is shooting at people because "guns are so cool" -------------------- and your concern is an adjective.

We have a situation in which an unsupervised child finds a loaded illegal gun owned by the felon his mom is banging. Not something anyone would call a good situation.

But if you think this does not inspire more and more politicians to go after a ban on assault rifles (or other firearms) you haven't been paying attention.

The situation with the child has been handled. The gun is gone and there is no more danger. Unless the sensationalistic writers have their way.

We have a situation in which an unsupervised child finds a loaded illegal gun owned by the felon his mom is banging. Not something anyone would call a good situation.

But if you think this does not inspire more and more politicians to go after a ban on assault rifles (or other firearms) you haven't been paying attention.

The situation with the child has been handled. The gun is gone and there is no more danger. Unless the sensationalistic writers have their way.

Have to disagree with you here, WB. This kind of situation is so damned common in this nation that it will not be handled until there are some enforced laws that hold gun owners, of which I am one, responsible for maintaining control over these very dangerous tools.

Have to disagree with you here, WB. This kind of situation is so damned common in this nation that it will not be handled until there are some enforced laws that hold gun owners, of which I am one, responsible for maintaining control over these very dangerous tools.

Why is there any discussion? If an 8 year old breaks the law his parents are held responsible. Burn the parents for this.

But the idea that some sort of "gun culture" encouraged this is ridiculous.

Why is there any discussion? If an 8 year old breaks the law his parents are held responsible. Burn the parents for this.

But the idea that some sort of "gun culture" encouraged this is ridiculous.

Oh no not at all. The kid came up with the idea all by himself and the cartoons, video games, cop shows, movies, Hallowe'en costumes, sports, language and everything else in pop culture had nothing to do with it. Puuuuure coincidence. That's the ticket.

BrooklynBridgeForSale.jpg

I do like the "burn the parents" line though. Been a while since we had a good Inquisition.

Last edited:
South Carolina 8-year-old fires ?assault rifle? over heads of pedestrians

Police in South Carolina have questioned an 8-year-old boy about reports that he was firing an “assault rifle” over the head of passing pedestrians on a street in Rock Hill.

According to The Herald, a man called police on Saturday afternoon to report that children had the weapon on Glenn Street.

After initially denying knowledge of the gunfire, one child eventually admitted to police that a weapon had been fired, a police reported stated.

The report said that the child took officers into his home, where they found a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle underneath a bed. The gun reportedly had one round in the chamber and one round in the magazine.

Police also found two more rounds on the ground outside the home.

The boy’s mother told officers that the children were being watched by a 13-year-old babysitter at the time of the incident. The gun was reportedly illegally owned by a convicted felon, the mother said.

No charges were filed against the boy, but the rifle was taken into custody.

Great parents.

Good grief. Yet more responsible parents, hiding a loaded gun under the bed where a child can reach it.

South Carolina 8-year-old fires ?assault rifle? over heads of pedestrians

Police in South Carolina have questioned an 8-year-old boy about reports that he was firing an “assault rifle” over the head of passing pedestrians on a street in Rock Hill.

According to The Herald, a man called police on Saturday afternoon to report that children had the weapon on Glenn Street.

After initially denying knowledge of the gunfire, one child eventually admitted to police that a weapon had been fired, a police reported stated.

The report said that the child took officers into his home, where they found a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle underneath a bed. The gun reportedly had one round in the chamber and one round in the magazine.

Police also found two more rounds on the ground outside the home.

The boy’s mother told officers that the children were being watched by a 13-year-old babysitter at the time of the incident. The gun was reportedly illegally owned by a convicted felon, the mother said.

No charges were filed against the boy, but the rifle was taken into custody.

Great parents.

Responsible gun owners?

Lock them up and take away the kid.

Forum List

Back