8yo fires assault rifle over pedestrian's heads

I find myself being somehow slightly proud that I haven't a clue what difference there is between a .22 rifle and an "assault" rifle. I'm pretty sure if someone was firing one about in my presence I'd be ducking with the same speed no matter what the calibre.

Just be damn careful if someone points a spatula at you.

What next?

Classes and licenses to conceal-carry a spatula?

Psssst - guns and kitchen utensils are not the same thing.

:rolleyes:

I find myself being somehow slightly proud that I haven't a clue what difference there is between a .22 rifle and an "assault" rifle. I'm pretty sure if someone was firing one about in my presence I'd be ducking with the same speed no matter what the calibre.

Just be damn careful if someone points a spatula at you.

I believe in Italy in the 1940s a woman stabbed her husband to death with a piece of sharpened Parmigiano cheese. I flinch every time a waiter comes over to add some to my spaghetti, the world would be a safer place if everyone was carrying hard cheese.

What next?

Classes and licenses to conceal-carry a spatula?

Psssst - guns and kitchen utensils are not the same thing.

:rolleyes:

No, they're not, and yet people are killed every day by normal, everyday items. The one thing that IS true however is that guns are the great equalizer. Rich people don't want poor people to have guns because then the rich people can do to the poor people whatever the hell they want.

Why do you think that asshole Bloomburg is trying to disarm the citizenry of this country? And progressives like you want him to succeed because...well, you don't like people....especially poor people.

Typical that you don't know that a .22 can kill.

A little kid is shooting a gun and all the nutters care about is the caliber of the gun. Do you idiots know that an 8y/o is in the 3rd grade?

Maybe next time, he'll have a Glock and kill a few people.

Then you sickos can celebrate.

A pencil and stick can kill too.

A Glock can be a .22 too.

Maybe the rifle was black and that made it an assault rifle?

There are .22's on the market that are made to look like an assualt rifle. And a .22 can kill.

Thurston High School shooting tragedy unfolded 10 years ago | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13
Early on the morning of May 21, Kinkel drove his mother's car to Thurston High School. He entered the school in a trench coat with two handguns, a rifle, a knife and more than 1,200 rounds of ammunition.

At 7:50 a.m., Kinkle entered the school and shot Ryan Atteberry and Ben Walker in a hallway. Walker died later at the hospital.

Kinkel walked into the cafeteria filled with 200 students and started firing, getting off 51 shots and making 37 hits.

One bullet killed Mikael Nicholauson. Another 25 students are wounded.

When Kinkel stopped to reload his gun, students Jake Ryker and Adam Walburger tackled Kinkel. Several boys piled on Kinkel, holding him down until police arrived.

Define 'assualt rifle'.

I'm already laughing, so feel free to ignore my request. :lol:

You would be right to do so. As has been pointed out, a .22 can kill.

But the term "assault rifle" does not fit a .22 of any sort. It may have been a semi-auto, and it may have had furniture made to look like an AR or AK, but it is not an assault rifle.

There are .22's on the market that are made to look like an assualt rifle. And a .22 can kill.

Thurston High School shooting tragedy unfolded 10 years ago | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13
Early on the morning of May 21, Kinkel drove his mother's car to Thurston High School. He entered the school in a trench coat with two handguns, a rifle, a knife and more than 1,200 rounds of ammunition.

At 7:50 a.m., Kinkle entered the school and shot Ryan Atteberry and Ben Walker in a hallway. Walker died later at the hospital.

Kinkel walked into the cafeteria filled with 200 students and started firing, getting off 51 shots and making 37 hits.

One bullet killed Mikael Nicholauson. Another 25 students are wounded.

When Kinkel stopped to reload his gun, students Jake Ryker and Adam Walburger tackled Kinkel. Several boys piled on Kinkel, holding him down until police arrived.

Anything can kill. Hell, spatulas, corckscrews, and guitars have been used to murder people.

That child was not shooting a spatula over the heads of others.

No he was not. He was also not shooting an assault rifle.

The term was used in this story to elicit a response to the sensationalistic wording.

Typical that you don't know that a .22 can kill.

A little kid is shooting a gun and all the nutters care about is the caliber of the gun. Do you idiots know that an 8y/o is in the 3rd grade?

Maybe next time, he'll have a Glock and kill a few people.

Then you sickos can celebrate.

No one is celebrating anything. We are simply correcting the gross inaccuracies of the terminology. And since people vote based on what they know, to allow someone to think a semi-auto .22 is an "assault rifle" does harm the process.

But the term "assault rifle" does not fit a .22 of any sort. It may have been a semi-auto, and it may have had furniture made to look like an AR or AK, but it is not an assault rifle.

I'll defer to your knowledge on this matter as it is undoubtedly superior to mine in respect of the classification of firearms. My point is that "assault" or "non assault" is a matter of semantics that makes no real difference to the crux of the matter, that a weapon was dischanged by an 8 year old in a public place causing panic.

Oh darn, when I first came on to the forum I was skimming the thread titles, and for a second I thought this thread title read:

"8yo fires assault rifle over presidents head"

Dang.

I'll defer to your knowledge on this matter as it is undoubtedly superior to mine in respect of the classification of firearms. My point is that "assault" or "non assault" is a matter of semantics that makes no real difference to the crux of the matter, that a weapon was dischanged by an 8 year old in a public place causing panic.

I agree. My complaint is that the term "assault rifle" is inaccurate. It was not used to clarify the details of the story but to elicit a response of fear.

Yes, the felon should never have had the rifle. Yes, the 8 year old should never have had access to a loaded firearm. Those are the issues to be addressed.

But in today's political climate, legislation is created based on knee-jerk reactions to, often, inaccurate information.

Yet another piece from a demented liberal who lives for moments like these.

WHITE KID in the SOUTH.

I wonder why he does not attack the black parents of black kids in cities like Chicago. Ever wonder why they do not do that?

I love too how everyone on the left always blame poverty for the reasons why there are so many murders in those cities.

As though no whites anywhere live in poverty. You know, I think they believe there is no real such thing as whites living in poverty. No, really. I think that.

Ever see those STATS (hope stat boy can get us stats on this) on violent crimes in white neighborhoods (trailer parks for the morons on the left who never stereotype) and black neighborhoods?

Want to compare?

You see it seems I went a little off topic doesn't it? No, that was pretty much the warped point of the moron OP. Like I said, these puppets live for stories like this in order to push their race divide, class divide strategy in order to gain power strategy.

Yet another piece from a demented liberal who lives for moments like these.

WHITE KID in the SOUTH.

I wonder why he does not attack the black parents of black kids in cities like Chicago. Ever wonder why they do not do that?

I love too how everyone on the left always blame poverty for the reasons why there are so many murders in those cities.

As though no whites anywhere live in poverty. You know, I think they believe there is no real such thing as whites living in poverty. No, really. I think that.

Ever see those STATS (hope stat boy can get us stats on this) on violent crimes in white neighborhoods (trailer parks for the morons on the left who never stereotype) and black neighborhoods?

Want to compare?

You see it seems I went a little off topic doesn't it? No, that was pretty much the warped point of the moron OP. Like I said, these puppets live for stories like this in order to push their race divide, class divide strategy in order to gain power strategy.

They're little more than blind mice following their Pied Piper. It's a form of hypnosis.

.22 with hollow nose bullets is an assault weapon

A steak knife with serrated edges can also be an "assault" weapon. In essence ANYTHING used in an assault is an assault weapon.

If we are to have an intelligent dialogue about issues, then using accurate terminology is critical.

Yes, any weapon can be used in an assault. But there are definitive criteria for something to be an "assault rifle". While the '94 ban used ridiculous cosmetic criteria, there is still an actual definition of an assault rifle.

So, has the UK finally banned pointy kitchen knives like they desired to do a couple of years back? You folks aren't to be trusted with pointy things you know. Being as you're all children and such...

In case anyone has objections to my wanting to clarify the terminology, look at what also could have been written.

Why couldn't the article have said the 8 year old was firing a machine gun? As a mechanical object, the .22 does qualify as a machine, and it is certainly a gun.

Forum List

Back