8yo fires assault rifle over pedestrian's heads

We have a situation in which an unsupervised child finds a loaded illegal gun owned by the felon his mom is banging. Not something anyone would call a good situation.

But if you think this does not inspire more and more politicians to go after a ban on assault rifles (or other firearms) you haven't been paying attention.

The situation with the child has been handled. The gun is gone and there is no more danger. Unless the sensationalistic writers have their way.

Have to disagree with you here, WB. This kind of situation is so damned common in this nation that it will not be handled until there are some enforced laws that hold gun owners, of which I am one, responsible for maintaining control over these very dangerous tools.

Why is there any discussion? If an 8 year old breaks the law his parents are held responsible. Burn the parents for this.

But the idea that some sort of "gun culture" encouraged this is ridiculous.

if anything the glamorized criminal culture encouraged this

after all they lived with a convicted felon

The $64,000 questions.

How can you force a person to be a responsible parent?

Let's say you made it a law that guns were required to be locked in gun safes...here is a felon illegally in possession of a firearm...does it sound like he cares about breaking the law?

The $64,000 questions.

How can you force a person to be a responsible parent?

Let's say you made it a law that guns were required to be locked in gun safes...here is a felon illegally in possession of a firearm...does it sound like he cares about breaking the law?

he does he also abides by gun free zone laws and rules

There are three things an armed criminal LOVES:

1) An unarmed citizenry.
2) Gun free zones.
3) Gun owners who lock their guns in safes that are usually inaccessible in an emergency.

I bet most armed thugs vote Democrat. It makes their criminal careers less dangerous.

I find myself being somehow slightly proud that I haven't a clue what difference there is between a .22 rifle and an "assault" rifle. I'm pretty sure if someone was firing one about in my presence I'd be ducking with the same speed no matter what the calibre.

Well they say ignorance is bliss.

LOL..... a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle isn't an assault rifle. .. :cuckoo:

Unless your are attacking a bunch of rabbits or squirrels. .. :lol: :lol:
So caliber is used to rationalize gun violence now! How irresponsible can gun nuts get?

And ask Jim Brady about the effect of .22 caliber bullets.

Really? Please show us where anyone used the caliber to rationalize gun violence.

Several people have corrected the author of the article about whether a .22 can be an "assault rifle", but no one has used the caliber to rationalize gun violence.

Most gun owners are disgusted by those who improperly store a firearm. I do not know a single gun owner who would willingly give an unsupervised 8 year old a loaded rifle in an urban setting.

And I don't think anyone has suggested that a .22 caliber gun is incapable of doing harm.

So caliber is used to rationalize gun violence now! How irresponsible can gun nuts get?

Why don't you tell us your little plan to ban all guns. Include all logistical issues.

Like............

How much more prison space or how many more prisons would need to be built to incarcerate individuals that own guns?

How would you go about apprehending all of the guns in circulation? Which is around 300 million give or take.

--------------------------------------------------

Question: Do you own a gun?

If not, can you please do this country a favor please? Can you please place a sign on your front lawn?

GUN FREE HOUSE

There, put that on the sign in front of your house.

You know what? Is it wrong for me assume you live in a gated community guarded by armed guards?

Really? Please show us where anyone used the caliber to rationalize gun violence.

Several people have corrected the author of the article about whether a .22 can be an "assault rifle", but no one has used the caliber to rationalize gun violence.

Most gun owners are disgusted by those who improperly store a firearm. I do not know a single gun owner who would willingly give an unsupervised 8 year old a loaded rifle in an urban setting.

And I don't think anyone has suggested that a .22 caliber gun is incapable of doing harm.
Did you see Sunni Man's post?

Why don't you tell us your little plan to ban all guns. Include all logistical issues.

Like............

How much more prison space or how many more prisons would need to be built to incarcerate individuals that own guns?

How would you go about apprehending all of the guns in circulation? Which is around 300 million give or take.

--------------------------------------------------

Question: Do you own a gun?

If not, can you please do this country a favor please? Can you please place a sign on your front lawn?

GUN FREE HOUSE

There, put that on the sign in front of your house.

You know what? Is it wrong for me assume you live in a gated community guarded by armed guards?
I wouldn't ban all guns. That's an assumption made by you in some irrational reaction to my post.

I do own a gun.

I would like to see some reasonable actions to help rid our streets of guns. I would like to see an end to random shootings, to mass killings and an beginning to an end of gun violence.

Universal background checks, widely popular among gun owners and those who do not own guns, would be a grand place to begin. After all, it is the user of the gun that is the problem, right? Then let's weed out the mentally frazzled and the criminal from gun ownership by placing universal back ground checks in force.

South Carolina 8-year-old fires ?assault rifle? over heads of pedestrians

Police in South Carolina have questioned an 8-year-old boy about reports that he was firing an “assault rifle” over the head of passing pedestrians on a street in Rock Hill.

According to The Herald, a man called police on Saturday afternoon to report that children had the weapon on Glenn Street.

After initially denying knowledge of the gunfire, one child eventually admitted to police that a weapon had been fired, a police reported stated.

The report said that the child took officers into his home, where they found a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle underneath a bed. The gun reportedly had one round in the chamber and one round in the magazine.

Police also found two more rounds on the ground outside the home.

The boy’s mother told officers that the children were being watched by a 13-year-old babysitter at the time of the incident. The gun was reportedly illegally owned by a convicted felon, the mother said.

No charges were filed against the boy, but the rifle was taken into custody.

Great parents.

An illegal owned gun by a felon!!! Your gun control wouldn't prevent this!

The gun was reportedly illegally owned by a convicted felon, the mother said.

Did you see Sunni Man's post?

You mean the post in which he said:
"LOL..... a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle isn't an assault rifle. ..
Unless your are attacking a bunch of rabbits or squirrels. .."?

First of all, it is Sunni Man. That should tell you all you need to know.

Second, he said that a .22 caliber semi-auto is not an assault rifle. And he is correct.

Third, other than target shooting, the most common use for .22 rifles is hunting rabbits and squirrels. That does not mean he said the gun was not lethal. And it certainly is not using the caliber to rationalize gun violence, as you claim people were doing.

Last edited:
There are three things an armed criminal LOVES:

1) An unarmed citizenry.
2) Gun free zones.
3) Gun owners who lock their guns in safes that are usually inaccessible in an emergency.

I bet most armed thugs vote Democrat. It makes their criminal careers less dangerous.

How do you know this? Are you an armed criminal?

Have to disagree with you here, WB. This kind of situation is so damned common in this nation that it will not be handled until there are some enforced laws that hold gun owners, of which I am one, responsible for maintaining control over these very dangerous tools.

Why is there any discussion? If an 8 year old breaks the law his parents are held responsible. Burn the parents for this.

But the idea that some sort of "gun culture" encouraged this is ridiculous.

if anything the glamorized criminal culture encouraged this

after all they lived with a convicted felon

Another side of the same coin.

That was my point yesterday -- a kid firing a gun of whatever caliber, and your concern is what adjective the headline uses. Talk about your ADD....

If you still don't get the point, it means, here's a situation with a gun being used irresponsibly, putting people's lives in danger, and your concern is not, was anyone harmed, or has the circumstance that made the gun accessible been addressed, or is there a chance it could happen again.... none of that, your concern is "how could the adjective in the headline bring about legislation that will affect Numero Uno"?

That was my point yesterday -- a kid firing a gun of whatever caliber, and your concern is what adjective the headline uses. Talk about your ADD....

If you still don't get the point, it means, here's a situation with a gun being used irresponsibly, putting people's lives in danger, and your concern is not, was anyone harmed, or has the circumstance that made the gun accessible been addressed, or is there a chance it could happen again.... none of that, your concern is "how could the adjective in the headline bring about legislation that will affect Numero Uno"?

If the story was in a newspaper and the police were called, I think it is safe to assume that the firearm owned by the felon was confiscated. I also think it is safe to assume that if anyone were injured, or killed, the article would have mentioned that. And since the article did say that the boy was firing over the heads of pedestrians, it is clear that he did not shoot anyone with either of the shots fired. (they said they found 2 casings)

So the situation had been addressed by the police. It was no longer dangerous.

But the misleading information presented could very easily lead to people believing that an "assault rifle" was used. It could very easily be used to promote a new "assault rifle" ban. And many of the people on these forums are unaware that the rifle in question was not, by definition, an assault rifle.

Forum List

Back