95% of Prisoners Will Be Released

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Each year roughly 600,000 individuals return to our neighborhoods after serving time in federal or state prisons and 11.4 million people cycle through local jails. Nearly everyone who goes to jail and approximately 95 percent of persons in state or federal prison will eventually return home.

I've been watching a lot of murder shows lately. Real life shows. Two black guys went around killing and raping couples. For some reason they didn't have enough hard evidence to put them away for life so one of the guys got out 10 years ago and the other one just got out this year, or will be released this year.

It's not about liberals being soft on crime. Everyone wishes those two guys could have been put away for life. But the prosecutors didn't have enough evidence to charge them for Murder 1. I don't get it. In my mind they had enough evidence.

So it got me thinking. What do we do? It's not about liberals being soft and wanting to let them out. You have to have a lot of evidence to convict a person of Murder 1.

One thing I would do is change parole. If you get 20 years, you serve 20. No 20 years but out in 10.

Each year roughly 600,000 individuals return to our neighborhoods after serving time in federal or state prisons and 11.4 million people cycle through local jails. Nearly everyone who goes to jail and approximately 95 percent of persons in state or federal prison will eventually return home.

I've been watching a lot of murder shows lately. Real life shows. Two black guys went around killing and raping couples. For some reason they didn't have enough hard evidence to put them away for life so one of the guys got out 10 years ago and the other one just got out this year, or will be released this year.

It's not about liberals being soft on crime. Everyone wishes those two guys could have been put away for life. But the prosecutors didn't have enough evidence to charge them for Murder 1. I don't get it. In my mind they had enough evidence.

So it got me thinking. What do we do? It's not about liberals being soft and wanting to let them out. You have to have a lot of evidence to convict a person of Murder 1.

One thing I would do is change parole. If you get 20 years, you serve 20. No 20 years but out in 10.
it would be a boon for the construction business, rehabbing old prisons, or building new ones.

The prison I worked at did a rehab. they spent enough on the rehab to have built 2 new ones.

Not to mention needing to hire sufficient personnel to operate them.

The state of Texas--where no democrat has had a statewide elected position since the 1990’s--has more people on parole (100,000 plus) than most other states have incarcerated.

Every member of the parole board was appointed by a republican governor.

it would be a boon for the construction business, rehabbing old prisons, or building new ones.

The prison I worked at did a rehab. they spent enough on the rehab to have built 2 new ones.

Not to mention needing to hire sufficient personnel to operate them.

They'll make great places to house the mentally ill, like those who have been talked into believing that they were born the wrong sex.

Many states like Virginia have Truth in Sentencing laws where they have to do 85% of their time....But kiss my ass if the dems aren't trying to get shed of it.

They'll make great places to house the mentally ill, like those who have been talked into believing that they were born the wrong sex.

What about people who live in an alternate reality? They think Majorie Taylor Green is a good person and Fauci is bad? Or they think Biden is corrupt when it's clear Trump is the convict? Where do we send people who think up is down, black is white and wet is dry?

Many states like Virginia have Truth in Sentencing laws where they have to do 85% of their time....But kiss my ass if the dems aren't trying to get shed of it.

You gonna blame Democrats cause you can't get it done?

Let's give longer sentences!!! But only to blacks.

In 2022,control of Virginia split, with the House of Delegates and Executive Branch controlled by Republicans, and the Senate of Virginia slightly leaning Democrat.

Virginia’s system remains plagued with dysfunction that disproportionately impacts communities of color and keeps people locked up for extremely long sentences. These practices have resulted in a costly system. In 2014, the Justice Policy Institute reported that Virginia spent $1.064 billion to run its prison system, and even with a population decrease, the 2020 budget increased 25 percent to $1.34 billion. However, this is only part of the story. The toll of mass incarceration in Virginia has fallen disproportionately on the shoulders of its Black and Brown citizens, with devastating consequences. This is particularly pronounced among those persons serving extreme prison sentences. Some key data points in Virginia include:•

Despite accounting for only 19 percent of the state population, Black people comprise 55 percent of the prison population.

On average, Black individuals received a sentence 62 months more for the same offense when compared to white people.

You gonna blame Democrats cause you can't get it done?

Let's give longer sentences!!! But only to blacks.

In 2022,control of Virginia split, with the House of Delegates and Executive Branch controlled by Republicans, and the Senate of Virginia slightly leaning Democrat.

Virginia’s system remains plagued with dysfunction that disproportionately impacts communities of color and keeps people locked up for extremely long sentences. These practices have resulted in a costly system. In 2014, the Justice Policy Institute reported that Virginia spent $1.064 billion to run its prison system, and even with a population decrease, the 2020 budget increased 25 percent to $1.34 billion. However, this is only part of the story. The toll of mass incarceration in Virginia has fallen disproportionately on the shoulders of its Black and Brown citizens, with devastating consequences. This is particularly pronounced among those persons serving extreme prison sentences. Some key data points in Virginia include:•

Despite accounting for only 19 percent of the state population, Black people comprise 55 percent of the prison population.

On average, Black individuals received a sentence 62 months more for the same offense when compared to white people.
Nobody cares....We just want them locked away....Of course the black and browns can quit doing the preponderance of crime.

The state of Texas--where no democrat has had a statewide elected position since the 1990’s--has more people on parole (100,000 plus) than most other states have incarcerated.

At least Texas executes child rapists and killers. California on the other hand hasn't executed any of those pricks since God knows when.

Nobody cares....We just want them locked away....Of course the black and browns can quit doing the preponderance of crime.

But you care when you see it's not just black men being locked up unjustly

Donald Trump Praises Jan. 6 Insurrectionists As 'Warriors'​

The former president also falsely claimed the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection was a "setup" by police officers at the U.S. Capitol.

Yes, we want them locked away too. But you got to be fair about it. For example it was ok for Kyle Rittenhouse to run around with a gun, even shoot some people, but when a BLM protester is open carrying an assault rifle and walking towards you, try to remember he's exercising his right and don't shoot him.

But that's what happened. A jury found him guilty too. And Texas Governor pardoned the murderer.

Yea, we just want them locked away too.

That is mostly because of judges who are soft on crime

Sheriff Arrpario in Arizona had a good idea with his tent jails

No air conditioning, TVs, weight rooms, ect

Very harsh conditions to be sure

but just the thing to discourage repeat offenders

Yes, we want them locked away too. But you got to be fair about it. For example it was ok for Kyle Rittenhouse to run around with a gun, even shoot some people, but when a BLM protester is open carrying an assault rifle and walking towards you, try to remember he's exercising his right and don't shoot him.

But that's what happened. A jury found him guilty too. And Texas Governor pardoned the murderer.

Yea, we just want them locked away too.
Reachin' ain't ya?

Reachin' ain't ya?
Not at all. Seems like the rules aren't applied equally to both sides.

Abbott pardoned him for 2020 fatal Black Lives Matter protest shooting. Daniel Perry was convicted of murdering a protester at a Black Lives Matter rally in 2020, was released from prison Thursday after he was pardoned by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.

Perry faced between five and 99 years in prison for fatally shooting 28-year-old Air Force veteran Garrett Foster at an Austin, Texas, racial justice rally

Shortly after Perry’s conviction in April 2023, Abbott said he wanted to pardon Perry

I can't believe more of us aren't outraged about this. Can I tell you what's going on? Minorities don't get to use stand your ground. But conservatives do. And liberals can't open carry. If they do they get shot and the Governor let's the shooter go free. But Kyle can bring a gun and shoot liberals. What if someone would have shot Kyle?

This is maddening. Fuck you.

Not at all. Seems like the rules aren't applied equally to both sides.

Abbott pardoned him for 2020 fatal Black Lives Matter protest shooting. Daniel Perry was convicted of murdering a protester at a Black Lives Matter rally in 2020, was released from prison Thursday after he was pardoned by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.

Perry faced between five and 99 years in prison for fatally shooting 28-year-old Air Force veteran Garrett Foster at an Austin, Texas, racial justice rally

Shortly after Perry’s conviction in April 2023, Abbott said he wanted to pardon Perry

I can't believe more of us aren't outraged about this. Can I tell you what's going on? Minorities don't get to use stand your ground. But conservatives do. And liberals can't open carry. If they do they get shot and the Governor let's the shooter go free. But Kyle can bring a gun and shoot liberals. What if someone would have shot Kyle?

This is maddening. Fuck you.
Nice doggy.

But you care when you see it's not just black men being locked up unjustly

Donald Trump Praises Jan. 6 Insurrectionists As 'Warriors'​

The former president also falsely claimed the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection was a "setup" by police officers at the U.S. Capitol.
Unjustly? For punching out old ladies? Car Jacking? Gangs bashing stores and ripping everything off? Muggings? Pimping? Selling dope?

That is mostly because of judges who are soft on crime
False.
Sheriff Arrpario in Arizona had a good idea with his tent jails
No, it was a idiotic idea that did nothing toward re-entry.
No air conditioning, TVs, weight rooms, ect

Very harsh conditions to be sure
Yeah and also for the guys who had to guard the inmates. But of course, from his air-conditioned office, Joe didn’t care so much about that.
but just the thing to discourage repeat offenders
Sure...its almost like we have no crime in Phoenix.

Several problems with that plan.

First. Overcrowding in prisons. This makes the maximum number of prisoners you can hold. One way to manage that number is time off for good behavior and probation. Probation is supervised release. The offender is subject to random checks to make sure he is home when he is supposed to be, or work when he is supposed to be. Unless you want to fund lots of new prisons you need to figure out how to work with what you have.

Second, Probation and parolees do not have the right to demand a search warrant. They sign that right away as a condition of their parole or probation. So the cops can and do search them to insure they are not in possession of anything illegal.

Lastly. If you take away the incentive for good behavior that creates a more dangerous environment. Not just for other inmates, but for the prison staff. Guards are already outnumbered, and making the environment more dangerous in an overcrowded prison isn’t smart. Perhaps you have heard the term carrot and stick? Good behavior is the stick, early release is the carrot.

Take away the carrot and the motivation to do what you want ends.

If you think it is just time to get tough. Sign up as a guard in your local prison, or jail. See how tough it is already.

Forum List

Back