A 7-Day Workweek Could Soon Be Legal in Wisconsin

Wisconsin’s GOP is trying to nix an existing law that requires employers in the manufacturing and retail sectors to give employees at least 24 hours off during each consecutive seven-day period. Currently, for an employee to skip his or her weekly day off, an employer has to get approval from the state’s Department of Workforce Development. The Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce association—a staunch advocate of the bill—suggests that the step is onerous and unnecessary, since the department has approved 733 such requests over the past five years, a number they imply means that the department is rubber-stamping the requests. Supporters also suggest that the plan ultimately helps employees who want to work more hours.
Will Wisconsin Have 7-Day Workweeks - The Atlantic

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.
Go crap in your hat.
Gov't should not be dictating terms of employment. That's between employee and employer. And yes, what do people have against employees wanting to better themselves and take home more money?
It isn't that labor is able to make more money, but that labor is denied and disparaged in declining in any at-will employment State.

Wisconsin’s GOP is trying to nix an existing law that requires employers in the manufacturing and retail sectors to give employees at least 24 hours off during each consecutive seven-day period. Currently, for an employee to skip his or her weekly day off, an employer has to get approval from the state’s Department of Workforce Development. The Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce association—a staunch advocate of the bill—suggests that the step is onerous and unnecessary, since the department has approved 733 such requests over the past five years, a number they imply means that the department is rubber-stamping the requests. Supporters also suggest that the plan ultimately helps employees who want to work more hours.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.
Go crap in your hat.
Gov't should not be dictating terms of employment. That's between employee and employer. And yes, what do people have against employees wanting to better themselves and take home more money?
It isn't that labor is able to make more money, but that labor is denied and disparaged in declining in any at-will employment State.
That statement violates the Exclusionary Rule so therefore invalid.

Those laws protecting one day a week for prayer are so obsolete in this day of "president" worship! Why are you liberals not out thumping the tubs to make this modernization the law or the entire land?

Try again.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

Yes, comrade, the bourgeoisie is oppressing the proletariat.

So why don't workers who don't like their hours just get a different job?

Isn't that the whole point, Kaz? Screw everybody as hard as you can get rid of channels to rectify a situation and then sit back and discuss choice? I'm almost excited that we can have the feudal society that you crave.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

Isn't that the whole point, Kaz? Screw everybody as hard as you can get rid of channels to rectify a situation and then sit back and discuss choice? I'm almost excited that we can have the feudal society that you crave.

I don't know what you're smoking, but that's some pretty good shit based on how stoned you are. I support capitalism where we all get to make our own choices. You support big government and removal of choice, which is exactly what this is. This is all you, sweet heart. You're just tripping, girlfriend

Why should manufacturing and retail companies be forced to get a freaking waver from the gigantic government bureaucracy when a worker wants to put in more hours and make more money by working an extra day? The radical left is quick to give government the power to dictate work hours but when the private sector wants to give workers the freedom to work more hours than the fascist government dictates they get their panties in a bunch and pretend that republicans are the problem instead of the solution.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

So much for the religious right and the need for a day of rest

What is all the fucking whining about? Shit happens, sometimes grinding out some blood, sweat, and tears is what it's going to take to hold the ship together. Why should I be prevented from having an employee work 7 days in the work week, yet be able to work them 12 days straight by spreading it out over two work weeks?

I don't like having to bring people in for long stretches without a day off. But sometimes it happens. People leave for new opportunities, or they get dismissed for doing something stupid, and all of a sudden you're short handed in the middle of a busy month. What am I supposed to do? Tell my boss to close up shop until we find full replacements?

It's very simple, if you don't like your job, then leave. That is your power as an employee. If I mistreat my staff, they aren't going to stay. I'll always be looking for new people, and I'll always be under manned. I don't ask extraordinary things from my staff lightly. And I don't ask my boss for overtime permission lightly, nor does he approve it lightly. So stop with the "OMG businesses hate their employees and want to abuse them" nonsense.
What is all the fucking whining about? Shit happens, sometimes grinding out some blood, sweat, and tears is what it's going to take to hold the ship together. Why should I be prevented from having an employee work 7 days in the work week, yet be able to work them 12 days straight by spreading it out over two work weeks?

I don't like having to bring people in for long stretches without a day off. But sometimes it happens. People leave for new opportunities, or they get dismissed for doing something stupid, and all of a sudden you're short handed in the middle of a busy month. What am I supposed to do? Tell my boss to close up shop until we find full replacements?

It's very simple, if you don't like your job, then leave. That is your power as an employee. If I mistreat my staff, they aren't going to stay. I'll always be looking for new people, and I'll always be under manned. I don't ask extraordinary things from my staff lightly. And I don't ask my boss for overtime permission lightly, nor does he approve it lightly. So stop with the "OMG businesses hate their employees and want to abuse them" nonsense.

Stop with the wanna be Boy Scout integrity bullshit.

You know damn well that running for long stretches becomes the norm when a position or several are eliminated with zero intention of bringing them back.

And when that becomes the norm all the way across the board then there really is no other choice. It's simply eat more shit.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

Oh, the need for a day of rest is only for them not for the lesser people.

Why do you hate working people? Sometimes it's nice to get in a few extra hours to buy the finer things in life.

Why do you insist on returning to a feudal society?

Why do you insist on holding people down, Ive worked many 80 hour weeks, you know what it got me, more money.

Yep, this looks fantastical. It hits factories and retail. Further, it's also going to gut the "living wage" law and take out the the process of taking your case to the Department of Workforce Development.

Budget amendment would allow 7-day workweeks

Moving the goal post already I see, the thread is on the 7 day week. But tell me, exactly what is a living wage in WI?

It's Wisconsin- which has in the last five years become synonymous with screwing the workers. It's ongoing. In fact, the article that I linked to also covers on demand work.Clearly you ignored that and/or the fact that it effects retail.

"Living wage" means compensation for labor paid, whether by time, piecework, or otherwise, sufficient to enable the employee receiving the compensation to maintain himself or herself under conditions consistent with his or her welfare."

Walker and Republicans have decided to strike that language to minimum wage which would end two lawsuits AND get rid of the process to contest it. You know, to take it to an outside force to analyze it.

But, do go on about your glory days.

Great abstract definition, now give me a number. In other words answer the freaking question, here it is again just in case your dementia doesn't allow you to remember. "exactly what is a living wage in WI?"

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

How does it make them lesser people?

I thought it made them richer people. I thought that was what secular humanists were all after, they want their Marxist piece of the economic pie any way they can get it.

Now if you really want seperation of chruch and state, you will return to the slavery that Moses stood against as he instituted the Sabbath day of rest.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

I don't know what you're smoking, but that's some pretty good shit based on how stoned you are. I support capitalism where we all get to make our own choices. You support big government and removal of choice, which is exactly what this is. This is all you, sweet heart. You're just tripping, girlfriend

Yes, Kaz. It just so happens then your brand of capitalism is like walking down the grocery aisle and believing that because all of the different "brands" signal choice when in reality 90% are owned by one company. The illusion of choice.
Why do you insist on returning to a feudal society?

Why do you insist on holding people down, Ive worked many 80 hour weeks, you know what it got me, more money.

Yep, this looks fantastical. It hits factories and retail. Further, it's also going to gut the "living wage" law and take out the the process of taking your case to the Department of Workforce Development.

Budget amendment would allow 7-day workweeks

Moving the goal post already I see, the thread is on the 7 day week. But tell me, exactly what is a living wage in WI?

It's Wisconsin- which has in the last five years become synonymous with screwing the workers. It's ongoing. In fact, the article that I linked to also covers on demand work.Clearly you ignored that and/or the fact that it effects retail.

"Living wage" means compensation for labor paid, whether by time, piecework, or otherwise, sufficient to enable the employee receiving the compensation to maintain himself or herself under conditions consistent with his or her welfare."

Walker and Republicans have decided to strike that language to minimum wage which would end two lawsuits AND get rid of the process to contest it. You know, to take it to an outside force to analyze it.

But, do go on about your glory days.

Great abstract definition, now give me a number. In other words answer the freaking question, here it is again just in case your dementia doesn't allow you to remember. "exactly what is a living wage in WI?"

It is abstract and that's why there is a process in place so that it can be challenged.

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.

How does it make them lesser people?

I thought it made them richer people. I thought that was what secular humanists were all after, they want their Marxist piece of the economic pie any way they can get it.

Now if you really want seperation of chruch and state, you will return to the slavery that Moses stood against as he instituted the Sabbath day of rest.

Try again.

It's Bullshit.

24hrs off? In retail?
So you work 9a-4p today. Tomorrow you work 4p-11p. But now you gotta get back at tomorrow for another 9a-4p shift.
You had your 24hrs off.
No unnecessary law has been broken

Yep. The GOP is awesome.

Morons.
SO what? If people choose to work every day, that should be their right.
It not illegal for anyone to work on the days they choose to work. If there are such laws, they should be over turned. Americans ( reference to what Jeb Bush REALLY said) is that Americans are being denied the opportunity to work more hours. It is due to adverse business conditions brought on by government interference that have forced business to cut jobs and/or hours.

Forum List

Back