A black says "enough of the double standards" (Oscar brouhaha)

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Stacey Dash speaks out on Oscars' lack of diversity: 'It's ludicrous'

"I think it's ludicrous," she said. "Because we have to make up our minds. Either we want segregation or integration."
The outspoken actress, who turned 49 on Wednesday, also stated that she's glad the issue has finally received some attention, but in order for things to change, we need to get rid of the "double standard" currently in place.
"If we don't want segregation, then we need to get rid of channels like BET, and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you're only awarded if you're black," she explained. "If it were the other way around, we would be up in arms. It's a double standard."

Stacey Dash speaks out on Oscars' lack of diversity: 'It's ludicrous'

"I think it's ludicrous," she said. "Because we have to make up our minds. Either we want segregation or integration."
The outspoken actress, who turned 49 on Wednesday, also stated that she's glad the issue has finally received some attention, but in order for things to change, we need to get rid of the "double standard" currently in place.
"If we don't want segregation, then we need to get rid of channels like BET, and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you're only awarded if you're black," she explained. "If it were the other way around, we would be up in arms. It's a double standard."

I think part of the confusion here is Black refers not only to someone's external RACE
but also to cultural STYLES and THEMES of music, movies and other entertainment.

There is nothing wrong with having Asian Art showings that focus on Asian CULTURAL traditions as the THEME. Or LATINO cultural arts, another example.
That isn't considered segregation, and neither are African cultural arts or museum displays.

I see something similar with the Jewish people.
Jew can refer to both the ethnic lineage and genetic family lines of that person.
It can also refer to the religious beliefs of people or whole groups.
And it can refer to the CULTURAL language, laws and traditions.

Both "Jews" and "Blacks" have been singled out and targeted for their race/ethnic "identity."
But these terms also apply to the CULTURAL traditions of their respective groups.

This doesn't have to mean anything negative at all.

Blacks focus on making movies/tv specifically for blacks, a minority. Now they wonder why they're not as accepted as movies made for everyone? They marginalize themselves and blame others.

Classic

I actually Iike some rap music, especially before my workouts. Was listening to Sirius XM "Shade45" today. A rap channel. They were trashing here for daring to say this.

They said when they get fair representation THEN they'll get rid of BET and Miss Black America.

So....I guess we should start a W-NFL and W-NBA?

052813-celebs-in-blackface-robert-downey-jr-tropic-thunder.jpg

^ Best black actor, no?

Gracie - you need to add some original commentary here...
Ok

Meanwhile, Will Smith stands with his wife, blathering on about diversity and the Oscars are supposed to reflect the beauty blah blah, and the wonder of yadda yadda....and how strong his wife is and how much he appreciates her "push" in getting him "recognized" blah blah blah. I wonder why the interviewer didn't ask Will if that diversity applied to BET? After all...beauty is beauty, right?

Will Smith: Oscar nominations don't reflect America's diversity

For my own commentary...see above. It applies to the OP and this link as well.

Gracie - you need to add some original commentary here...
Ok

Meanwhile, Will Smith stands with his wife, blathering on about diversity and the Oscars are supposed to reflect the beauty blah blah, and the wonder of yadda yadda....and how strong his wife is and how much he appreciates her "push" in getting him "recognized" blah blah blah. I wonder why the interviewer didn't ask Will if that diversity applied to BET? After all...beauty is beauty, right?

Will Smith: Oscar nominations don't reflect America's diversity

For my own commentary...see above. It applies to the OP and this link as well.

Will Smith is the main character in a mediocre movie that attacks America's favorite sport and #1 highest rated television/entertainment event, something most Americans cherish and look forward to all year.......and he wonders why he didn't get an award.

Forum List

Back