A Blow to the Muslim Brotherhood

My understanding is the US has to find a way to not call it a coup, so they can keep giving Egypt aid, under American laws. I think we use that aid to seek to get whatever government is in power to do what we want them to do.

There are twenty million reasons to disagree with the 'assesments' given about the US or anyone else OUTside of Egypt driving this change.

Only in Egypt is a military coup not a coup

For the first time in the history of the world, a coup is not a coup. The army take over, depose and imprison the democratically elected president, suspend the constitution, arrest the usual suspects, close down television stations and mass their armour in the streets of the capital. But the word ‘coup’ does not – and cannot – cross the lips of the Blessed Barack Obama. Nor does the hopeless UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon dare to utter such an offensive word. It’s not as if Obama doesn’t know what’s going on. Snipers in Cairo killed 15 Egyptians this week from a rooftop of the very university in which Obama made his ‘reach-out’ speech to the Muslim world in 2009.

Is this reticence because millions of Egyptians demanded just such a coup – they didn’t call it that, of course – and thus became the first massed people in the world to demand a coup prior to the actual coup taking place? Is it because Obama fears that to acknowledge it’s a coup would force the US to impose sanctions on the most important Arab nation at peace with Israel? Or because the men who staged the coup might forever lose their 1.5 billion subvention from the US – rather than suffer a mere delay -- if they were told they’d actually carried out a coup.

And there is one salient fact about the events of the last 48 hours in Egypt. No one is happier – no one more satisfied nor more conscious of the correctness of his own national struggle against ‘Islamists’ and ‘terrorists’ -- than Assad. The West has been wetting itself to destroy Assad – but does absolutely nothing when the Egyptian army destroys its democratically-elected president for lining up with Assad’s armed Islamist opponents. The army called Morsi’s supporters “terrorists and fools”. Isn’t that just what Bashar calls his enemies? No wonder Assad told us yesterday that no one should use religion to gain power. Hollow laughter here -- offstage, of course.

But this doesn’t let Obama off the hook. Those Western leaders who are gently telling us that Egypt is still on the path to “democracy”, that this is an “interim” period – like the ‘interim’ Egyptian government concocted by the military – and that millions of Egyptians support the coup that isn’t a coup, have to remember that Morsi was indeed elected in a real, Western-approved election.

Israel, however, must be pleased. It knows a coup when it sees one – and it’s now back playing its familiar role as the only ‘democracy’ in the Middle East, and with the kind of neighbours it understands: military rulers. And if Egypt’s wealthy military king-makers are getting a nifty $1.5 billion dollars a year from Washington – albeit postponed -- they are certainly not going to tamper with their country’s peace treaty with Israel, however unpopular it remains with the people for whom it supposedly staged the coup-that-wasn’t.

When is a military coup not a military coup? When it happens in Egypt, apparently - Comment - Voices - The Independent

do you have any comments on this? ....its just a link.

Oh, and please- and you have cut 80% or close to of the entire article, please pare it down a bit thx. we can read it at the link.

My understanding is the US has to find a way to not call it a coup, so they can keep giving Egypt aid, under American laws. I think we use that aid to seek to get whatever government is in power to do what we want them to do.

yes that is so, but premature- has obama commented on the aid package(s) yet?

Oh and that it appears Erdogan is upset with the 'coup' is not a surprise, hes got his own issues brewing along almost exactly the same lines Morsi did....

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the
same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and
to provide new Guards for their future security."

Declaration of Independence, JULY 4, 1776.

Last edited:
Sunni,
You keep pointing at the air and calling out names but you offer only your voice against the apparent evidence to the contrary.
Smoke and mirrors will not provide support for your view - you must have some evidence to back it up.

This trend is seen throughout the region as questions arise as to what caused this decline in support coupled with where is this movement headed now. This failed experiment leaves behind the legacy that sharia cannot coexist with democratic principals where people need to have freedoms but are thwarted by "the imposition of the Islamist views propagated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

I'm not so sure it's that definitive. Sharia is not a monolithic entity and the Islamist view of Sharia is not the only one. There are Islamic scholars working out how Sharia can fit into a modern and democratic society - that's the real experiment for those countries. There are also democratic countries where Sharia is part of the civil law but not the criminal or penal code.

The Islamists fail because they don't take into account their people and assume a victory is a victory for a fundamentalist religious agenda. What I hope is that the opposition can better organize itself for the next election. A large part of MB's success was that it was well organized and ready to take advantage of the momentum the revolution created.

Personally though - I have serious reservations that any religious system of law or governance can be truly democratic and provide for a truly free and open society with equal protections for all. We have yet to see that.

thank you for steering the discussion in this direction. it is a very confusing issue really because religion plays such a huge part in the lives of many people and the connections between the church and state take many forms and come in varying degrees.

what i find particularly odd about this thread is that it is celebrating a military coup over a democratically elected, albeit currently unpopular, government...lol...and what preceded morsi with mubarak and the arab spring is anyone's guess.

it is very complicated but true democracy doesn't spring up overnight. it takes decades, centuries. to evolve and cannot be forced.

to expect islamic contries not to retain some of the laws (sharia) that have influenced their governance for centuries is as an unrealistic expectation as expecting evangelical christianity to not interject its influence into the political workings of this country.

democracy takes time and proceeds with small steps. we need to let it develop fearlessly on its own accord and meet the needs of those it governs. we need not force it to our own ends.

This trend is seen throughout the region as questions arise as to what caused this decline in support coupled with where is this movement headed now. This failed experiment leaves behind the legacy that sharia cannot coexist with democratic principals where people need to have freedoms but are thwarted by "the imposition of the Islamist views propagated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

I'm not so sure it's that definitive. Sharia is not a monolithic entity and the Islamist view of Sharia is not the only one. There are Islamic scholars working out how Sharia can fit into a modern and democratic society - that's the real experiment for those countries. There are also democratic countries where Sharia is part of the civil law but not the criminal or penal code.

The Islamists fail because they don't take into account their people and assume a victory is a victory for a fundamentalist religious agenda. What I hope is that the opposition can better organize itself for the next election. A large part of MB's success was that it was well organized and ready to take advantage of the momentum the revolution created.

Personally though - I have serious reservations that any religious system of law or governance can be truly democratic and provide for a truly free and open society with equal protections for all. We have yet to see that.

thank you for steering the discussion in this direction. it is a very confusing issue really because religion plays such a huge part in the lives of many people and the connections between the church and state take many forms and come in varying degrees.

what i find particularly odd about this thread is that it is celebrating a military coup over a democratically elected, albeit currently unpopular, government...lol...and what preceded morsi with mubarak and the arab spring is anyone's guess.

it is very complicated but true democracy doesn't spring up overnight. it takes decades, centuries. to evolve and cannot be forced.

to expect islamic contries not to retain some of the laws (sharia) that have influenced their governance for centuries is as an unrealistic expectation as expecting evangelical christianity to not interject its influence into the political workings of this country.

democracy takes time and proceeds with small steps. we need to let it develop fearlessly on its own accord and meet the needs of those it governs. we need not force it to our own ends.

Well said! I couldn't agree more :)

Israel and the CIA were sabotaging everything they could behind the scenes to destroy the MB

Obama recently gave the Egyptian military 1.5 billion in weapons and support.

Which was in reality a pay off to oust Morsi and kick out the MB from power.

I don't think Obama knows what the hell he's doing.

He's friends with the MB, and he supports them. Maybe he thought they had better control of the military.

I seriously think Obama cannot do anything right unless it is preordained.

The the Islamist-backed constitution under Morsy's decree came into effect in December 2012. Further, "Liberals, Christians and other minority opposition groups said they felt excluded from the Constituent Assembly that drafted it and that the wording did not include their voices. They had sought a new assembly.

Opposition members said the charter uses vague language and will not protect the rights Egyptians fought for in last year's revolution, which ousted former President Hosni Mubarak."

The Egyptian people were sold a bill of goods which was in effect a bait and switch by Morsi and his rouges gallery of henchmen who had an agenda the people simply would not stand for.

As far as steering the thread back? This is about the failings of the Muslim Brotherhood and the direction they are headed.

The the Islamist-backed constitution under Morsy's decree came into effect in December 2012. Further, "Liberals, Christians and other minority opposition groups said they felt excluded from the Constituent Assembly that drafted it and that the wording did not include their voices. They had sought a new assembly.

Opposition members said the charter uses vague language and will not protect the rights Egyptians fought for in last year's revolution, which ousted former President Hosni Mubarak."

The Egyptian people were sold a bill of goods which was in effect a bait and switch by Morsi and his rouges gallery of henchmen who had an agenda the people simply would not stand for.

As far as steering the thread back? This is about the failings of the Muslim Brotherhood and the direction they are headed.

Agree. One of the criticism levied towards Morsi was his unbending and uncompromising attitude towards the other political groups and towards the wishes of his electorate. He over-reached and refused to work with the opposition, something that is necessary in a democratic form of government.

But - what is disturbing is, bait or switch or not - he was fairly elected and the way in which he was deposed is not ideal - not for a democracy.

Israel and the CIA were sabotaging everything they could behind the scenes to destroy the MB

Obama recently gave the Egyptian military 1.5 billion in weapons and support.

Which was in reality a pay off to oust Morsi and kick out the MB from power.

I don't think Obama knows what the hell he's doing.

He's friends with the MB, and he supports them. Maybe he thought they had better control of the military.

I seriously think Obama cannot do anything right unless it is preordained.

He supports democracy, not the MB - there is a difference.

i was not defending morsi.

nor was i saying anything about "steering the thread back". i was merely thanking coyote for broadening the scope of the thread to the role of religion in political states.

i don't think a thread need follow the dictates of the person who starts it and my comment was ceertainly within the context of the discussion. i see no need to start a seperate thread about that subject when it is easily covered in this thread.

Agree. One of the criticism levied towards Morsi was his unbending and uncompromising attitude towards the other political groups and towards the wishes of his electorate. He over-reached and refused to work with the opposition, something that is necessary in a democratic form of government.

But - what is disturbing is, bait or switch or not - he was fairly elected and the way in which he was deposed is not ideal - not for a democracy.

He was elected through a democratic process, nevertheless, his rule was anything but democratic. However, the Egyptian people are supposed to be held to the standard their leader refused to uphold... This ex-president created an impossible situation for his country.

This is a snapshot of what life was like under the Muslim Brotherhood led by the incompetent Morsi, "instead of trying to build up the independent institutions—the courts, the media, a neutral civil service, army and police—that check the power of government in mature democracies, Mr Morsi did his best to undermine them. He legislated through a senate that was elected by only 10% of the voters. He made false, inept or cowardly choices at every turn, finagling constitutional issues, pushing fellow Brothers into key appointments and feeding the secularists’ fears that his brethren were determined, by hook or by crook, to Islamise every aspect of society. He stayed silent when bigots and thugs threatened and attacked religious minorities. He allowed foreigners working for advocacy groups promoting human rights and democracy to be hounded, prosecuted and convicted (most of them in absentia) on patently false charges."
Islam, democracy and soldiers: Egypt?s tragedy | The Economist

Hopefully, in the next few days, the Muslim Brotherhood and the patriotic Egyption people will stage a counter coup and restore the democratically elected Pres. Morsi back to office. :cool:

Make no mistake about it.

Israel's mossad and the CIA are behind the unrest and ousting of Pres. Morsi.

It's zionist rulers hated the idea of the Muslim Brotherhood being in control of Egypt.

So Israel paid off the millions of Egyptians protesting in the streets?
You do not even believe what you are posting.
You are promoting your own propaganda.
The citizens of Egypt do not want your theocracy.
Nothing to do with Israel and zionists and you know it.
You can sell that line of BS at your mosque but here it does not fly.

I do not like what the military did there but what does a country do when the elected officials refuse to follow their own constitution?

Hopefully, in the next few days, the Muslim Brotherhood and the patriotic Egyption people will stage a counter coup and restore the democratically elected Pres. Morsi back to office.
Hopefully, in the next few days, the Muslim Brotherhood will be forced entirely underground once again, by the patriotic Egyptian People and their Army, as the supporters of the bait-and-switch Brotherhood Proxy Figurehead (Morsi, democratically-elected but revealed as autocrat-in-the-making, who was deposed before he-and-his could do still more damage to Egypt) are shown for the dangerous minority that Western sources believe them to be.

Last edited:
Hopefully, in the next few days, the Muslim Brotherhood and the patriotic Egyption people will stage a counter coup and restore the democratically elected Pres. Morsi back to office. :cool:

Fair enough Sunni Man. What do the Muslim Brotherhood have to offer that they have not offered/given to the Egyptian people prior to the president stepping down?

Forum List

Back