A clear reason why we need closed Primaries

no I said the organization itself,,, the people still have all the rights god gave them,,,

When you declare an organization a terrorist organization you don't condemn the building they are in, you align the members of the organization WITH the organization and make people guilty just by being a MEMBER of the organization.

At Nuremberg they not only tried individuals, but also organizations. When the organization was found guilty just being a member of the organization was enough for you to be guilty.

I’m confused by your position, which I usually find sober and reasonable.

Surely you recognize the right to freedom of association…

Are you saying a political party, let’s say a minor party struggling to cohere as an alternative to the two major ones, should not be able to independently choose its own candidates? Would that rule be enforced by the government?

Should the Republican Party not have had the exclusive right to choice Abraham Lincoln as its candidate in 1860? So-called “closed primaries” are a big improvement over, or at least the modern democrat equivalent of, the old system of choosing mainstream party candidates in smoke-filled rooms.

Perhaps I don’t understand your thinking. Or perhaps you haven’t thought this out clearly?

I have made my dislike of political parties clear in numerous threads. The politicians tend to be more loyal to the party than to the people.

then what do you base primaries on?? it is for parties to decide who is their candidate,,

what should happen is the parties run their own primaries without the states money or resources,,

I do not think there should be official political parties. The candidates stay focused on following the party and not serving the people.

If there must be a primary, make it one primary open to all candidates. Then pick the top 4 candidates and put them on the ballot.

When you declare an organization a terrorist organization you don't condemn the building they are in, you align the members of the organization WITH the organization and make people guilty just by being a MEMBER of the organization.

At Nuremberg they not only tried individuals, but also organizations. When the organization was found guilty just being a member of the organization was enough for you to be guilty.
are you saying I am not entitled to my opinion under the 1st amendment??

even if you could say my opinion on a single subject does violate some right even though we dont know what that is, how does that change youre comment against all human rights???

I do not think there should be official political parties. The candidates stay focused on following the party and not serving the people.

If there must be a primary, make it one primary open to all candidates. Then pick the top 4 candidates and put them on the ballot.
thats not a primary thats more like a pre election,,, on second thought thats a good idea

I do agree political parties have no place in at least federal elections, the states can decide for themselves what is allowed

as you can see with my discussion with marty he thinks banning parties is a violation of the 1st amendment,, what say you??

Parties should be able to choose freely who they want running, not have a gamed candidate foisted on them by outsiders.
These losing candidates were forced on them by that trump guy.
So are you saying trump was wrong?

LOOLLLOLLL........obviously trump was wrong.

— WinterBorn
In the modern world, if there is no freedom of political association and organization, the only factor that will determine who leads will be money, or possibly initially “celebrity.” The final result will almost certainly be dictatorship.

Without political organizations ready to take power as an alternative to the existing regime, the advantages of political incumbency will keep the bureaucratic regime in power —maximally corrupt — and that regime will utilized all measures to maintain its privileges. As much as our present “two party system” is today deadlocked, hyper partisan and disfunctional, alternating parties have been essential to allowing the survival of democracy here.

Think of Russia’s Putin, China’s XiJinPing / Communist Party, and countless other places where one party dictatorships have established themselves.

You really can’t “throw the bums out” if you’ve got no group to replace them with …

Last edited:
One positive thing I see from the midterms is clear cut examples of why parties need closed primaries.

All the Extreme Republicans Boosted by Democrats in the Primaries Lost Their Midterm Races

And not "closed but you can switch your party registration the week before closed" but "closed by like 6 months closed".

Parties should be able to choose freely who they want running, not have a gamed candidate foisted on them by outsiders.
Maybe you can summon the ghost of Rush Limbaugh from hell and explain that to him. He told Republican voters to interfere in the primaries between Clinton and Obama. I assumed that repugs had been doing this at least since then. Don’t like it when the shoe is on the other foot?

are you saying I am not entitled to my opinion under the 1st amendment??

even if you could say my opinion on a single subject does violate some right even though we dont know what that is, how does that change youre comment against all human rights???

I saying your opinion is stupid, not saying anything about entitlement.

Again with the human rights thing.

These losing candidates were forced on them by that trump guy.
So are you saying trump was wrong?

LOOLLLOLLL........obviously trump was wrong.

Trump is wrong sometimes like any other person.

But keep up that TDS, which probably morph into DDS when DeSantis becomes the front runner.

Maybe you can summon the ghost of Rush Limbaugh from hell and explain that to him. He told Republican voters to interfere in the primaries between Clinton and Obama. I assumed that repugs had been doing this at least since then. Don’t like it when the shoe is on the other foot?

If primaries are closed that isn't a problem. Did I say only Republicans should have closed primaries?

Absolutely.
When is the last time a political party spent $40,000,000 supporting the candidate in THE OTHER PARTY??

It was a brilliant move.
And it shows the toxic effect Trump has nationally. Trumped backed anyone who praised him, no matter how ineffective or incompetent they were.
the Dems knew this and supported the loser candidates so they didn't have to run against more qualified candidates,
Especially when the money came from Ukrainian Money Laundering Operation

One positive thing I see from the midterms is clear cut examples of why parties need closed primaries.

All the Extreme Republicans Boosted by Democrats in the Primaries Lost Their Midterm Races

And not "closed but you can switch your party registration the week before closed" but "closed by like 6 months closed".

Why should someone need to swear loyalty to a party to be able to vote for the candidate of their choice?

Forum List

Back