A Conservative Millionaire's Quest to Raise California's Minimum Wage to $12 an Hour

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
I'm sure many people will say that this would raise inflation. The chart below shows that the cost of labor is only a thin slice of the retail price of most products.

"Absolutely. There's been a massive influx of impoverished immigrant workers, which depresses the wages of American workers. The best way of preventing that is a much higher minimum wage.

The reason that businesses hire them is that they're willing to work at such a cheap rate. They're willing to undercut American wages. If the minimum wage were much higher -- say, $12 an hour -- a lot of businesses would hire Americans."

A Conservative Millionaire's Quest to Raise California's Minimum Wage to $12 an Hour - ABC News

laborsslicevv3ls9.gif

God bless the millionaire's quest to use other people's money to raise awareness for a cause!!!!

I'm sure many people will say that this would raise inflation. The chart below shows that the cost of labor is only a thin slice of the retail price of most products.

"Absolutely. There's been a massive influx of impoverished immigrant workers, which depresses the wages of American workers. The best way of preventing that is a much higher minimum wage.

The reason that businesses hire them is that they're willing to work at such a cheap rate. They're willing to undercut American wages. If the minimum wage were much higher -- say, $12 an hour -- a lot of businesses would hire Americans."

A Conservative Millionaire's Quest to Raise California's Minimum Wage to $12 an Hour - ABC News

laborsslicevv3ls9.gif

lol... this gets my vote for the biggest crock of shit I've seen in the past week...

Hmm, let's see. You raise the price of something, what happens to the demand for it?

The OP says the minimum wage needs to be raised because illegals work for less money.

But if you raise the minimum wage then businesses will just hire more illegals rather than pay the increased minimum wage. .... :cool:

The OP says the minimum wage needs to be raised because illegals work for less money.

But if you raise the minimum wage then businesses will just hire more illegals rather than pay the increased minimum wage. .... :cool:

For a mussy you're one smart guy.

laborsslicevv3ls9.gif

lol... this gets my vote for the biggest crock of shit I've seen in the past week...

I agree, there is no way in hell a right winger would support the middle class and raising the minimum wage.

Really? And here I thought the Republicans were all against hiring illegals. To the point where they (Repubs) were going to require the employer to make certain he/she was hiring a legal worker.

Guess that isn't the idea now eh?

Hmm, let's see. You raise the price of something, what happens to the demand for it?

Hey why don't you tell all. Food prices have been rising. Is there less demand for food now?

Yes, that's almost a certainty.

In business economics, "demand" means how much people are actually going to buy, or are actually buying, not how much they just want. There's a difference. If a low-income person has $50 to spend on food, they'll have to just buy less food for that $50 than they could have otherwise.

Obviously.

Was this a trick question?

laborsslicevv3ls9.gif

I agree, there is no way in hell a right winger would support the middle class and raising the minimum wage.

How do you come to the conclusion that raising the minimum wage supports the middle class?

good grief, leave it to Abc to pump out the propaganda

a Conservative Millionaire eh?

You ever see them post a title, a Liberals, progressive or Commie millionaires quest for raising the minimum wage?

our meida is JOKE

so now people in this country are "forced" to go on welfare? It used to be people had more pride or worked any way they could to SUPPORT themselves...Not in this day and age....Work how little you want and jump on the Taxpayers gravy train to make your like

sad state our country is in

Last edited:
If you want less of something, raise the price. Raising the minimum wage will have the effect is has always had, force businesses to do something other than hire a worker. If raising the minimum wage would depress hiring of foreign workers then there would be fewer border crossers in places with the highest minimum wage.

As soon as the minimum wage is hiked, the threshold for raising the minimum wage goes up. Raise it to $12.00 an hour and there will be immediate calls to raise it to $15.00 an hour. As prices go up to cover the $12.00 an hour, the purchasing power of that $12.00 an hour drops.

If you want less of something, raise the price. Raising the minimum wage will have the effect is has always had, force businesses to do something other than hire a worker. If raising the minimum wage would depress hiring of foreign workers then there would be fewer border crossers in places with the highest minimum wage.

As soon as the minimum wage is hiked, the threshold for raising the minimum wage goes up. Raise it to $12.00 an hour and there will be immediate calls to raise it to $15.00 an hour. As prices go up to cover the $12.00 an hour, the purchasing power of that $12.00 an hour drops.

That was explained in the OP, the labor portion of retail prices is actually quite small and the effect would be small as well. Unless you raise it to 20 dollars an hour or something you won't notice big differences.

What a load of shit.

In order for a company to pay more in wages, they have to find more money to pay them which means firing some workers to pay the remaining workers more money or raise their goods/services prices on the consumer.

Money doesn't grow on trees. It comes from someone, either the consumer paying more at the cash register or from someone's else's wages/job or the stupid Santa Claus rich owner throwing his money down the toilet overpaying his workers with HIS own money.

Forum List

Back