A Conservative's view on waterboarding

So, we should be a "cruel and unusual punishment" country now as well as a death sentence country.
Waterboarding isn't "punishment."

Its doesn't really matter as far as I am concerned our government did what it felt was necessary to protect our Nation from the Islamic animals that have no problems killing as many as they can. For that I applaud them for having the backbone to take the steps to hunt down and kill the Islamic Tools

should we round up all the muslims in the us?

"WHEN US Representative Steve King learned that Osama bin Laden had been killed by US troops in Pakistan, he couldn’t resist a little crowing about the efficacy of torture. “Wonder what President Obama thinks of water boarding now?’’ the Iowa Republican tweeted on May 2.

It was an outrageous remark, but King wasn’t going out on a limb. A parade of others, mostly Republicans, have joined him in claiming that the death of bin Laden had vindicated the use of waterboarding — the most notorious of the “enhanced interrogation techniques’’ the Bush administration employed to extract information from senior Al Qaeda detainees....

...I don’t know whether waterboarding was indispensable to rolling up bin Laden; for every interrogation expert who says it was, another expert argues the opposite. But the case against waterboarding never rested primarily on its usefulness. It rested on its wrongfulness. It is wrong when bad guys do it to good guys. It is just as wrong when good guys do it to Al Qaeda....

The killing of bin Laden was gratifying, but it was no vindication of torture. Republicans rightly argue that much credit is owed to George W. Bush, who launched an effective war on terror and pursued it with fierce resolve. But Bush was wrong to permit waterboarding, and wrong to deny that it was torture. I don’t agree with Obama on much, but when it comes to waterboarding, he is right. America will defeat the global jihad, but not by embracing its most inhuman values."

Ends don’t justify the means - The Boston Globe

Jeff Jacoby (columnist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:clap2:

Hmm, so we are to believe that waterboarding, which some U.S> recruits undergo as a matter of course, is torture. And we are to believe that using it to gain information to prevent terrorist attacks is cruel and inhuman. I guess blowing up 3,000 people is not cruel and inhuman.
We cannot win the war against terrorism by playing by Marquis of Queensbury rules. The drivel of the left is proof that we have lost moral compass, unable to tell the difference between right and wrong.

they undergo it voluntarily.

your position is that the only way to prevail against animals is to become an animal oneself.

your post is proof that you have lost your moral compass, assuming you ever had one.

The only proof you know comes from a bottle.
At least you are able to post something, once in a while, that is not a smarmy comment. Maybe therapy is working?

It is not "becoming an animal" to seek to obtain actionable intelligence. That is where America's enemies, like you, fail. You cannot distinguish the difference between al-Sadr beheading people in Baghdad and Americans waterboarding people in Gitmo.

Waterboarding: A Tortured History : NPR

A turning point for waterboarding — in any form — came around 1800. As the Enlightenment swept across Europe, many countries banned the practice and people, in general, found it "morally repugnant," Peters says. Waterboarding moved underground, but did not disappear by any means. In fact, it has experienced something of a revival in the 20th century.

The interrogation method was used by the Japanese in World War II, by U.S. troops in the Philippines and by the French in Algeria. In Cambodia, the Khmer Rogue used waterboarding against its own people. The British used it against both Arabs and Jews in occupied Palestine in the 1930s. In the 1970s, it was widely used in Latin America, particularly under the military dictatorships in Chile and Argentina (where it was known as "Asian torture.")

During the Spanish-American War, a U.S. soldier, Major Edwin Glenn, was suspended from command for one month and fined $50 for using "the water cure." In his review, the Army judge advocate said the charges constituted "resort to torture with a view to extort a confession." He recommended disapproval because "the United States cannot afford to sanction the addition of torture."

In the war crimes tribunals that followed Japan's defeat in World War II, the issue of waterboarding was sometimes raised. In 1947, the U.S. charged a Japanese officer, Yukio Asano, with war crimes for waterboarding a U.S. civilian. Asano was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor.

"All of these trials elicited compelling descriptions of water torture from its victims, and resulted in severe punishment for its perpetrators," writes Evan Wallach in the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law.

Stephen Rickard, Washington director of the Open Society Institute, says that throughout the centuries, the justifications for using waterboarding have been remarkably consistent.

"Almost every time this comes along, people say, 'This is a new enemy, a new kind of war, and it requires new techniques,'" he says. "And there are always assurances that it is carefully regulated."

The answer is in his lack of answer.

You worry about your answers princess not others

I'm not "worried" about your individual view, there's all sorts of you bigots all over this country. We need another MLK Jr now more than ever.

Tools of Islam was your quote, you already provided the answer, if you think terrorists are tools of islam than of course you want everyone who practices the islam faith to be handled as such.

you want everyone who practices the islam faith to be handled as such

Did you have a big bowl of stupid today drock? Where did I say that?

Who said it was great? its a tool being used against animals who have utterly no hesitation in slaughtering innocent people for no other reason than they don't worship the same religion.

I'm having an extremely hard time coming up with any compassion for the tools of Islam had I my choice they would suffer very long and horrible deaths. We expect our Government to use everything within its power to fulfill the one role where it might do some good that being protect our nation and people how they do it is up to them.

so if the govt decided to round up all americans of a certain ethnic or religious background in order to protect us, you'd be okay with that?

If one of these animals setup a nuke in a city to explode in 5 hours and you had captured him would you really just ask him harsh questions to find out where its at?

JackBauer.jpg

If waterboarding has a magical way of getting even scumbag terrorists to become genuine, honest people instantly, why not do it to scumbag rapists, murderers etc?
Straw, man.

Not in the slightest, you people think waterboarding is done with magical truth serum, if it is, why not use it on all kinds of scum rather than just terrorists?
More straw.
No one thinks that waterboarding makes anyone a genuine hionest person, or that it is a magical truth serum.
Try harder.

Its doesn't really matter as far as I am concerned our government did what it felt was necessary to protect our Nation from the Islamic animals that have no problems killing as many as they can. For that I applaud them for having the backbone to take the steps to hunt down and kill the Islamic Tools

Not all, my friend Habib is ok.. he loves to drink too. But for the rest of them.. who cares.

:lol:

Are you and Drock eating from the same bowl today? I don't know should we round up all Muslims?? Do you have a reason that they should be?

"WHEN US Representative Steve King learned that Osama bin Laden had been killed by US troops in Pakistan, he couldn’t resist a little crowing about the efficacy of torture. “Wonder what President Obama thinks of water boarding now?’’ the Iowa Republican tweeted on May 2.

It was an outrageous remark, but King wasn’t going out on a limb. A parade of others, mostly Republicans, have joined him in claiming that the death of bin Laden had vindicated the use of waterboarding — the most notorious of the “enhanced interrogation techniques’’ the Bush administration employed to extract information from senior Al Qaeda detainees....

...I don’t know whether waterboarding was indispensable to rolling up bin Laden; for every interrogation expert who says it was, another expert argues the opposite. But the case against waterboarding never rested primarily on its usefulness. It rested on its wrongfulness. It is wrong when bad guys do it to good guys. It is just as wrong when good guys do it to Al Qaeda....

The killing of bin Laden was gratifying, but it was no vindication of torture. Republicans rightly argue that much credit is owed to George W. Bush, who launched an effective war on terror and pursued it with fierce resolve. But Bush was wrong to permit waterboarding, and wrong to deny that it was torture. I don’t agree with Obama on much, but when it comes to waterboarding, he is right. America will defeat the global jihad, but not by embracing its most inhuman values."

Ends don’t justify the means - The Boston Globe

Jeff Jacoby (columnist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:clap2:

Obama should be impeached for using intelligence obtained using enhanced interrogation techniques to kill OBL.

oye, what a joke. Waterboarding is not torture. It is uncomfortable. It's scary, but it's still not torture. If we start lopping off fingers and crushing testicles- that is torture.

Been waterboarded, have you? If not, your opinion doesn't mean much. I'll take the word of that conservative talkshow host who said the same thing, until he tried it himself.

Hmm, so we are to believe that waterboarding, which some U.S> recruits undergo as a matter of course, is torture. And we are to believe that using it to gain information to prevent terrorist attacks is cruel and inhuman. I guess blowing up 3,000 people is not cruel and inhuman.
We cannot win the war against terrorism by playing by Marquis of Queensbury rules. The drivel of the left is proof that we have lost moral compass, unable to tell the difference between right and wrong.

your position is that the only way to prevail against animals is to become an animal oneself.

your post is proof that you have lost your moral compass, assuming you ever had one.

At least you are able to post something, once in a while, that is not a smarmy comment. Maybe therapy is working?

It is not "becoming an animal" to seek to obtain actionable intelligence. That is where America's enemies, like you, fail. You cannot distinguish the difference between al-Sadr beheading people in Baghdad and Americans waterboarding people in Gitmo.

it is if you do it by torturing people.

fail

again

it is if you do it by torturing people.

fail

again

We don't torture people.
You fail. Epically.

Have you ever actually seen the process of waterboarding? This is only a small taste, here's someone who didn't consider it torture:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0]YouTube - Mancow Waterboard[/ame]

You worry about your answers princess not others

I'm not "worried" about your individual view, there's all sorts of you bigots all over this country. We need another MLK Jr now more than ever.

Tools of Islam was your quote, you already provided the answer, if you think terrorists are tools of islam than of course you want everyone who practices the islam faith to be handled as such.

you want everyone who practices the islam faith to be handled as such

Did you have a big bowl of stupid today drock? Where did I say that?

Re-read your posts, you're the one who's using the term "tools of islam" rather than terrorist. Anyone who's not a bigot sees the obvious difference.

Only if they are captured in a war zone or involved in terrorist activities. Anyone taking part in, or assisting, our enemies deserves to die. Simple.

correct.

it's torture.

SO the US tortures its own servicemen?
Or does it cease to be torture if people volunteer for it?

yes, it does.

you're not too bright, are you?

So I guess holding people in jail is torture. Asking them questions under lights is torture. Depriving them of sleep is torture.
Is there any method you would allow to obtain information from terrorists?

Forum List

Back