A Lesson in Economics

This is one of the best 'lessons in economics' I have ever read. It's one lesson, albeit a very long one, but very much worth the read.

No political slant, just a bare bones lesson. Its pretty eye opening and makes you think of things you've never thought of before.

Economics in One Lesson (full text) | Henry Hazlitt

Could you send this to Bernie Sanders? He seems to be struggling in this arena

This is one of the best 'lessons in economics' I have ever read. It's one lesson, albeit a very long one, but very much worth the read.

No political slant, just a bare bones lesson. Its pretty eye opening and makes you think of things you've never thought of before.

http://fee.org/resources/economics-in-one-lesson-2/
why not give us a quick summary?? or one key point???

Because if he did, all the folks that like Bernie Sanders would quit posting here or tell him that his source doesn't know what they are talking about.

Economics can't be "summed up."

There are no, "Key points."

Unfortunately, the myth of the broken window bringing prosperity is a little complex to explain why it is a zero sum gain.

http://fee.org/resources/economics-in-one-lesson-2/

While I find the lesson to be very well written and very solid, it does have a political slant. The economic lesson presented is based on Hayek. While this is the view I follow, it is a Capitalist and Libertarian school of economics.

I encourage reading this, but it is Austrian school and presented from that position.

why not give us a quick summary?? or one key point???

Why not read it? It's quite well written, and lord knows you could use some education in economics.

That is one of Henry Hazlitts most famous works. I haven't read all of it, but I have read some of it. Definitely worth reading. In fact, I might actually read all of it soon.
Bookmarked :)

That is one of Henry Hazlitts most famous works. I haven't read all of it, but I have read some of it. Definitely worth reading. In fact, I might actually read all of it soon.

if you get around to reading it and agree with it you will be a conservative/libertarian and support free trade!! Good luck!

if you get around to reading it and agree with it you will be a conservative/libertarian and support free trade!! Good luck!
you are so dumb lol

if you get around to reading "Economics In One Lesson" and agree with it you will be a conservative/libertarian and support free trade!! Good luck!

Well, that's the only part that is a little off the mark.

It can be!!. The best economic system is capitalism because it is based on freedom or free peaceful voluntary economic relationships. Make sense?

Ah yes. . . .

But are you a Keynesian, or an Austrian?

Well, that's the only part that is a little off the mark.

It can be!!. The best economic system is capitalism because it is based on freedom or free peaceful voluntary economic relationships. Make sense?

Ah yes. . . .

But are you a Keynesian, or an Austrian?

I dug up this video from the same foundation.

This foundation SEEMS to be influenced by Austrians.

So it seems pretty queer that in a world ruled by Keynesians, where world trade is all out of whack, that is would promote free trade with currency wars going on.

I don't agree with that.

I understand the reasoning, and I would agree with free trade if every government on the planet weren't manipulating their economy. But as it is, I think that is a foolish policy. Not every government has the same environmental laws, labor laws, etc.

They make this video, and you wonder why they would support such foolish ideas.

If nations such as Japan, Germany, and Korea give their workers free health care, then how on Earth could you not support having a tariff on auto imports equal to the valuation of that healthcare? IN essence, their taxpayers are paying an export subsidy.

This book just came out against export subsidies. The only way to deal with an export subsidy is to hit it right back.

I would agree with free trade if every government on the planet weren't manipulating their economy.

they can manipulate all they want but it does not mean free trade is not by far the best. The two are not related.

Golden Rule:

The more people with whom you freely trade the richer you get no matter if they are across the street or across the world; the fewer with whom you freely trade the poorer you get. If you could not trade at all you'd have to make everything yourself and so you'd starve to death or live a subsistence life style.

Last edited:

While I find the lesson to be very well written and very solid, it does have a political slant. The economic lesson presented is based on Hayek. While this is the view I follow, it is a Capitalist and Libertarian school of economics.

I encourage reading this, but it is Austrian school and presented from that position.
Austrians are idiots.

images

*****SMILE*****

:)

Forum List

Back