Zone1 A lot of people here suffer from CDS: Catholic Derangement Syndrome

Yep, true story.

There's something about Catholicism that drives some anti-Catholic Protestant zealots to... loony tunes.

I mean, one anti-Catholic poster here comes to mind, but will remain un-named, but really they all say about the same thing... over and over and over ad nauseum, in fact

It's always: You Catholics worship Mary, not Jesus! (Who knew??)
and stuff like: You follow the pope instead of Jesus! (Who knew??)
and: You make up stuff that can't be found ANYWHERE in Scripture.

Then when you show them that Scriptures actually DO exist that support Catholic beliefs, like Mt 18:23 re Purgatory and etc,

What do we get in response

crickets
Explain how you think Mt 18:23 supports purgatory.

.Irony = We who actually do believe pray for you Christ haters all the time.

I don’t know anybody who “hates” Santa. If only he were real! He is always portrayed as such a “jolly good fellow.” How can you “hate” him? I sort of feel the same way about Jesus … the “Son of God.” If you don’t completely hate me for expressing my opinion, or even if you do, you can pray for me too (irony) … or even buy me a gift on Christmas!

By the way, is there anything especially “Catholic” about Santa? Or “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”?

Last edited:
Explain how you think Mt 18:23 supports purgatory.
The intent may be to start those interested to begin with Matthew 18:23 and to read through the entire account to Matthew 18:35. The last two verses in the account notes Jesus saying:

Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt. So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart.

Keep in mind that at the time of Jesus, Jews acknowledged a t time of purification (purging) following death. This can be seen in Maccabees, Job, and may also be indicated in Leviticus. Other passages in Matthew (5:26, 12:32) may also be references, not to mention Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. There are a few other Biblical passages as well that early Church Fathers thought indicated purification/purging/purgatory.

For denominations who are convinced that Jesus' blood covers up all their sins and that God only sees Jesus' blood not their sins, these passages will hold no meaning--unless they have a bit of interest in understanding why Catholics believe as they do.

The intent may be to start those interested to begin with Matthew 18:23 and to read through the entire account to Matthew 18:35. The last two verses in the account notes Jesus saying:

Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt. So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart.

Keep in mind that at the time of Jesus, Jews acknowledged a t time of purification (purging) following death. This can be seen in Maccabees, Job, and may also be indicated in Leviticus. Other passages in Matthew (5:26, 12:32) may also be references, not to mention Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. There are a few other Biblical passages as well that early Church Fathers thought indicated purification/purging/purgatory.

For denominations who are convinced that Jesus' blood covers up all their sins and that God only sees Jesus' blood not their sins, these passages will hold no meaning--unless they have a bit of interest in understanding why Catholics believe as they do.
2 Corinthians 5:8 KJV

we are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

. Matthew 5:25-26

Paying the last penny has nothing to do with paying for sin in the next life. In Roman law, the plaintiff could bring the accused along with him to the judge; the defendant could however, settle the matter on any terms with the plaintiff as they proceeded to the tribunal. However once they reached the tribunal the issue would be settled according to law. Jesus is encouraging people to settle their differences before it reaches the judge.

For denominations who are convinced that Jesus' blood covers up all their sins and that God only sees Jesus' blood not their sins, these passages will hold no meaning--unless they have a bit of interest in understanding why Catholics believe as they do
Then, what do you do with all this? Christ nailed our sin to the cross. God doesn't remember your sins any more. Do you plan on reminding Him of your transgressions? This is why there is no need Purgatory. You are already white as snow.

Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow​

Isaiah 43:25: “I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.”

Hebrews 8:12: “For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more
.”

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us​

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,​

Micah 7:14 He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea​

*Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus *

Last edited:
“The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God'” (Psalm 14:1)
Quoting a fantasy to prove a reality?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't you have 10% of everything you own to give to the billionaire church.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't you have 10% of everything you own to give to the billionaire church.
Kind of interesting to remember when in ancient days Jews settled on ten percent (the tithe), church and government were one and the same. Think of what we pay today: Sales Tax, Gas Tax, State Tax, Federal Tax, Social Security Tax...After paying well over 30% of our income to the government, then we contribute to our places of faith...

Ever think of insisting our government make do with ten percent in all taxes, but we would still do a separate contribution to church?

Last edited:

Yeshua made it clear that God forgives us as we forgive others, so if we're not willing to forgive, we shouldn't be surprised if we're not forgiven. That's kind of the whole point of the parable.

Yeshua made it clear that God forgives us as we forgive others, so if we're not willing to forgive, we shouldn't be surprised if we're not forgiven. That's kind of the whole point of the parable.
Perhaps part of the purification process is forgiving from the heart those we never quite forgave?

For what it's worth, the Israeli response to 10/7 can be seen as a good parallel to the priest-pedophile scandal of the Catholic Church.

In both cases, an excuse was provided for the haters and bigots who were just itching for an excuse to go public with their hate, now claiming that has been justified all along.

As for the OP, the Roman Catholic Church has always based its teaching on the Scriptures as well as the established Traditions of the early Church. Praying for the dead, purgatory, the worship of Mary...it's all in there, justified by the words and beliefs of our religious forefathers.

Contemporary Leftist culture abhors anyone or any thing that claims to have all the "right" answers, believing in such nonsense concepts as "my truth," and "my reality." The RCC must be castigated because it claims to know the truth and reality; discussion of the merits of those assertions takes a back seat to opposing the RCC just for its certainty.

Here is a Truth worth repeating: Those who believe in nothing will believe in anything.

Perhaps part of the purification process is forgiving from the heart those we never quite forgave?
I do not think so. I think something as significant as purgatory should have more substantive Scriptural backing than a possible allusion in a parable. I certainly wouldn't base an entire matter of faith on it.

For what it's worth, the Israeli response to 10/7 can be seen as a good parallel to the priest-pedophile scandal of the Catholic Church.

In both cases, an excuse was provided for the haters and bigots who were just itching for an excuse to go public with their hate, now claiming that has been justified all along.

As for the OP, the Roman Catholic Church has always based its teaching on the Scriptures as well as the established Traditions of the early Church. Praying for the dead, purgatory, the worship of Mary...it's all in there, justified by the words and beliefs of our religious forefathers.

Contemporary Leftist culture abhors anyone or any thing that claims to have all the "right" answers, believing in such nonsense concepts as "my truth," and "my reality." The RCC must be castigated because it claims to know the truth and reality; discussion of the merits of those assertions takes a back seat to opposing the RCC just for its certainty.

Here is a Truth worth repeating: Those who believe in nothing will believe in anything.

EXCELLENT post!

I --for once--don't have anything to add or comment on

:)

Forum List

Back