A message from a veteran about firearms in this country

Never said I was a Combat engineer. I said I got a 99 on the ASVAB. When I got the 99 they didn't make a big deal out of it... I was just told that is as high as you can get and it is not based on number of questions you get correct, but based on your score verses the percentages of the rest of the scores. So getting a 99 is great, but if you base it against the scores of a bunch of knuckleheads, it's not that big of a deal.

Well your obvious intelligence seems to not be much of an asset, if you were paying attention the OP who also claimed a prefect score, said he was a 12B.

And? you said getting a 99 on the ASVAB was such a big deal and hard to get. You even doubled down later and said you only saw one in 5 and half years as a recruiter. I said it wasn't that rare and I got one too. After getting the 99 I was told I could pick whatever job I wanted except those that required a college degree. I decided to take the DLAB and go for Crytpological Linguist because the training is in Moneterey, California.

So tell me then what these numbers mean. AFQT: 99 , GT 127 , EL 132 , and MM 124? I'm guessing the MM was the mechanical part of the test.

Wow, so now I know of 2 in thousands, woopieeeeee! GT is general technical, EL is electrical, MM is mechanical maintenance. Also unless they've drastically changed the test since I was in, there are 7 aptitude areas scored not just 3. IN infantry, AE artillary, EL electrical, GM general mechanical, MM mechanical maintenance, CL clerical and GT general technical. The three are most likely what was required for the MOS you were enlisting for.

Here, I overlapped two of the pages to cover my Social Security Number. The address and phone number are old so I don't care about those.

Military%20Contract_zpscxnvjmrc.jpg

Yep, those were MOS specific requirements, I won't comment on the other information I got from that paperwork, other than to say good job on the bonus.

Heh you going to comment on the fact at the time I only did 3 pull ups, 55 crunches in 2 minutes, and ran a 12 minute 45 second two mile run? Well I'll tell you I was 28 at the time, and I had only been working out for a couple of months. Many people would be surprised how hard a pull up is if you don't practice them. They use some muscles you don't normally use.

Or is there other info on there that I should take it down that I'm not aware of?

No it doesn't advocate it, it demands a well armed militia, and prohibits the feds from doing a damn thing about it.

The difference between you and I is that you see the government as the enemy.....while I do not......
However, I DO see the carnage that so many guns in the hands of morons can cause.

No it doesn't advocate it, it demands a well armed militia, and prohibits the feds from doing a damn thing about it.

The difference between you and I is that you see the government as the enemy.....while I do not......
However, I DO see the carnage that so many guns in the hands of morons can cause.

It's not the idea of the military being the enemy, it's the idea of protection against a government that can turn against it's own people. We have seen it in the past, and we continue to see it all over the world still today. If you want to walk through life with your head in the clouds, don't get mad when you stub your toe.

It's not the idea of the military being the enemy, it's the idea of protection against a government that can turn against it's own people

Sounds like an advocate of the cry that the south shall rise again....

Well your obvious intelligence seems to not be much of an asset, if you were paying attention the OP who also claimed a prefect score, said he was a 12B.

And? you said getting a 99 on the ASVAB was such a big deal and hard to get. You even doubled down later and said you only saw one in 5 and half years as a recruiter. I said it wasn't that rare and I got one too. After getting the 99 I was told I could pick whatever job I wanted except those that required a college degree. I decided to take the DLAB and go for Crytpological Linguist because the training is in Moneterey, California.

So tell me then what these numbers mean. AFQT: 99 , GT 127 , EL 132 , and MM 124? I'm guessing the MM was the mechanical part of the test.

Wow, so now I know of 2 in thousands, woopieeeeee! GT is general technical, EL is electrical, MM is mechanical maintenance. Also unless they've drastically changed the test since I was in, there are 7 aptitude areas scored not just 3. IN infantry, AE artillary, EL electrical, GM general mechanical, MM mechanical maintenance, CL clerical and GT general technical. The three are most likely what was required for the MOS you were enlisting for.

Here, I overlapped two of the pages to cover my Social Security Number. The address and phone number are old so I don't care about those.

Military%20Contract_zpscxnvjmrc.jpg

Yep, those were MOS specific requirements, I won't comment on the other information I got from that paperwork, other than to say good job on the bonus.

Heh you going to comment on the fact at the time I only did 3 pull ups, 55 crunches in 2 minutes, and ran a 12 minute 45 second two mile run? Well I'll tell you I was 28 at the time, and I had only been working out for a couple of months. Many people would be surprised how hard a pull up is if you don't practice them. They use some muscles you don't normally use.

Or is there other info on there that I should take it down that I'm not aware of?

Well since you brought it up, you were pretty overweight and out of shape. Pull ups are also extremely hard on the shoulders, that's why I wound having surgery on both shoulders before I retired and they took it off the PT test. It also tells me what component you enlisted in. I also can tell you with just a bit of research what unit you went to, but don't worry, I won't. But pretty much any former recruiter could do the same. That said you might want to edit the image out of your post.

That's because you're not as smart as the Founders were, who likewise saw the government as an oppressive force if allowed to reign supreme. Thus they ensured that the PEOPLE had the ability to keep it under control.

It's not the idea of the military being the enemy, it's the idea of protection against a government that can turn against it's own people

Sounds like an advocate of the cry that the south shall rise again....
And we will burn Atlanta and Savannah down to the ground again if that happens. Preferably with nuclear weapons.

Sure you will junior. That's the thing with nitwits like you, you're long on threats but short on action unless you get a big gang of thugs together. Then you're just a bunch of retards burning down the neighborhood.

Well since you brought it up, you were pretty overweight and out of shape. Pull ups are also extremely hard on the shoulders, that's why I wound having surgery on both shoulders before I retired and they took it off the PT test. It also tells me what component you enlisted in. I also can tell you with just a bit of research what unit you went to, but don't worry, I won't. But pretty much any former recruiter could do the same. That said you might want to edit the image out of your post.

I lost 30 pounds at boot camp. Some of which was muscle though. The Marines are different than other branches though when it comes to your height/weight ratio for enlistment. They actually go by measurements and body fat percentage. So a person that is stocky with muscle, that would otherwise have problems in other branches, can still enter the Marines. Plus they give more leeway for shipping off because they know you will lose the weight.

Edit: That's how it used to work, not sure how it works now.

I won't apologize for sharing the founder suspensions of government, why do you think they placed so many restrictions on it? Many of which have been destroyed by the same government they created.

I won't apologize for sharing the founder suspensions of government, why do you think they placed so many restrictions on it? Many of which have been destroyed by the same government they created.

Some people don't realize that the Founding Fathers didn't intend for our government to get as big and powerful as it is today.

Some people don't realize that the Founding Fathers didn't intend for our government to get as big and powerful as it is today.

They know, they just don't give a damn, they still need their mommies, they use govt as a surrogate. Oh and most are control freaks, can you get more schizophrenic than that?

And we will burn Atlanta and Savannah down to the ground again if that happens. Preferably with nuclear weapons.

There are 226,894 African-Americans in Atlanta and only 161,115 whites.
https://suburbanstats.org/population/georgia/how-many-people-live-in-Atlanta

There are 75,507 African-Americans in Savannah to only 52,190 whites.
Savannah, Georgia Population 2016, 2015

You're advocating incinerating over 302,000 African-Americans in a genocidal nuclear attack against the United States. Sure you want to go with that position?

Last edited:
So you say your a 12B but your mistaking a semi-automatic weapon with one that is selective fire ? An M-4 is a selective fire weapon which means it can fire semi-auto or 3 round burst the M-4A1 has a fully automatic mode. An AR-15 does not have a selective fire switch

Being a 12B should know that a semi automatic .223 hunting rifle is functionally the same weapon as an AR-15 the only difference between the two is cosmetics. Put simply, you are calling for a ban because of appearance not function.

I was a 74B (Computer Analyst) in the Army and I know these facts how is it that a Combat Engineer doesn't.

So you say your a 12B but your mistaking a semi-automatic weapon with one that is selective fire ? An M-4 is a selective fire weapon which means it can fire semi-auto or 3 round burst the M-4A1 has a fully automatic mode. An AR-15 does not have a selective fire switch

Being a 12B should know that a semi automatic .223 hunting rifle is functionally the same weapon as an AR-15 the only difference between the two is cosmetics. Put simply, you are calling for a ban because of appearance not function.

I was a 74B (Computer Analyst) in the Army and I know these facts how is it that a Combat Engineer doesn't.

That's not exactly what he said. He said they are basically the same except the ability to fire burst which is rarely used in the military anyway because it is less effective and less accurate.

I don't agree with is point, but I don't think you are understanding what he is saying.

I am a veteran of the United States Army. I served as a 12B (Combat Engineer) in the 37th Engineer Battalion, part of the illustrious 82nd Airborne Division

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why any civilian needs or wants to own an assault rifle. During OSUT (a form of initial training where Basic and AIT are rolled into one course), we learned that our rifles were deadly weapons, designed solely for killing the enemy on a battlefield. When we trained with our weapons, we had to shoot a "qualification" test. We were presented with forty popup targets, one after another at different distances, from fifty to three hundred meters, all in very quick succession. We had to kill at least twenty three targets to pass the test, but most of us, including those of us who never fired a gun before, easily shot thirty or more targets. All this was in the span of less than two minutes, and we even had to reload once in that time. I don't get why any civilian needs to kill thirty people in two minutes, unless he is deliberately causing carnage and mass death.

The civilian AR15 is just a M-4 carbine by any other name. The only difference is that it does not have burst capacity. That is not nearly as big a difference as the NRA makes it out to be. We never, ever used burst mode in the military, since it wasted ammo, was inaccurate, and generally useless. Besides for that difference, the AR 15 is the exact same as the M4. The M4's features are designed to kill a large number of people in a short amount of time, including a detachable magazine which allows for rapid reloading and a buffer tube and muzzle brake which dampens recoil, so that a shooter can fire off a large number of rounds with minimal affect on accuracy.

All the arguments about " I need my AR 15 for hunting" or "I need my Ar15 for self defense" are entirely ridiculous. The 5.56 Nato round, which the Ar15 uses, is designed to pierce body armor. Which deer wears body armor? And your fantasies about shooting fifteen home invaders at once is just that: a fantasy which will likely never happen. The only real purpose of the AR 15 in American society is to kill large numbers of clubgoers, schoolchildren, or innocent bystanders at a time.

And for those of you who claim that "my Ar15 will protect me from tyranny," guess what, you're wrong. In my time in the military, I saw that no civilian rebellion would ever stand a chance against us. We have M1 Abrams tanks which can survive multiple rocket hits. We have drones which can bomb your house while being controlled by a person a thousand miles away. If worst came to worst, we have nuclear weapons which can quickly bring a seceding city or state into the stone age.

let's also talk about concealed carry. You are civilians. You are not deployed to a foreign country halfway around the globe. You are not fighting basically an entire for the sake of securing their oil supplies. You are not under constant threat of attack from people defending their homes from foreign invaders.

Therefore, you have no reason to carry a gun in public. Nobody needs to carry a handgun into mcDonald's or into a bank. You are not in a war zone.

And don;t give me the bs that concealed carry decreases crime. It has been proven, by STANFORD UNIVERSITY, that concealed carry actually INCREASES violent crime:

Right-to-carry gun laws linked to increase in violent crime, Stanford research shows

Trust me, I used to be an NRA member myself when i was 18. I bought into the propaganda because i was stupid, uninformed, and thought it was fun to play with guns. After joining the military, I learned to treat firearms, especially assault rifles, as tools of death and destruction, something which should be kept out of most civilian hands.

The right wing claims to respect veterans, so please listen to the words of a former soldier. I trained with assault rifles. I carried an assault rifle as part of my job. I can tell you that the military M-4 and the Ar-15 are nearly identical, and that no civilian needs a weapon designed to kill dozens of people in a matter of minutes.

If you are indeed a vet and member of the engineering corps you would know that a semiautomatic rife is not a military grade "assault" rifle

Tell me is this an "assault" rifle ?

Shootingtimesministandard-final.jpg

Forum List

Back