A new forum, maybe...?

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
What do you guys think of a forum in the US Discussions section on Abortion and/or Women's Rights?

That sounds like a good addition, but it's up to you. :razz::tongue:

I think we'd all better served if they first established a forum where we could put all the "Hitler was a (insert political leaning here)" threads...

Just sayin'...

hjmick has the right of it.

If you get a forum like this, koshergrl will eugenics us all to the nth degree. Please don't.

I could see a forum on women's rights. As long as it was real pretty, gave us good stuff to eat, all its points could be patted on the head and dismissed as trivial or overemotional, and also it would have to clean up droppings on the other forums. We could use it until it got fat, at which point we could dump it for a thinner forum and start over.

^ ^ ^ SARCASM ^ ^ ^​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w[/ame]

Last edited:
Ugh, NO. Why, wake why?

LOL

Well... it's a bit funny the background on this.

On about 5 other political forums I visited in the past.... they all had forums for Abortion/Women's Rights, but nothing on Race/Racial Issues (I had asked more than half of 'em to have forums on those issues, because race, like abortion, are huge political issues in politics).

So coming here (and I'm thrilled with this place), I find that you guys have both a forum for Race, Gardening (which is awesome), and a whole host of other forums that other websites didn't think to try out. But no forum on Abortion. That's a massive topic. Almost every day on every cable news channel you see headlines on Abortion. It's one of the top issues in politics, and it's my contention that this forum would benefit from having a forum dedicated to one of the most controversial and in-depth issues in history. I mean, there's so much about this issue and, if not contained in its own forum it bleeds out on many other forums here.

I think we'd all better served if they first established a forum where we could put all the "Hitler was a (insert political leaning here)" threads...

Just sayin'...

hjmick has the right of it.

If you get a forum like this, koshergrl will eugenics us all to the nth degree. Please don't.

Abortion and/or Women's Rights is a big topic in politics, which any political message board would benefit from having. The issue has supporters on both sides of this hot topic, which is a boon for USMB, because that in turn generates even more activity and increased membership.

But I'm a simple man, so take what I say with a grain of sal---"Oh, a penny!"

:tongue:

Abortion fits under "Politics", does it not?
To follow that model we'd need a sub-forum on every conceivable political topic.

"Gardening" FYI was just born this spring. Somebody requested it and thus it was done.
I don't think it's practical to subcategorize Politics into every type of political question though. We've kinda already got too many IMO (e.g. a forum for Wikileaks)

To follow that model we'd need a sub-forum on every conceivable political topic.

"Gardening" FYI was just born this spring. Somebody requested it and thus it was done.
I don't think it's practical to subcategorize Politics into every type of political question though. We've kinda already got too many IMO (e.g. a forum for Wikileaks)

I dunno. It'd be a topic under U.S. Discussions. It sounds like a good addition. While it's true that'd it be one more forum, it's a hot one. Looking at Abortion and all the many issues and debates that arise from it, as well as the court cases and rulings, it should be worth it to have its own forum.

Instead of all that, how 'bout a forum for sociopolitical issues - as opposed to straight nuts-and-bolts politics? Things related to the personal, including abortion, gender issues, gay issues, religious/moral and racial influences on politics, questions of personal liberties...

Not sure if it's worth a redesign but if one were starting a site from scratch it might make sense to split Politics this way. Of course, the more you subcategorize, the more you get either topics in the wrong forum or topics that I think should be here, you think should be there, or topics that could be in more than one.

For instance I hang out in Media a lot-- some topics go in there that have nothing to do with media, while other topics that are on media end up in Politics or Current Events. Lots of overlap :dunno:

Instead of all that, how 'bout a forum for sociopolitical issues - as opposed to straight nuts-and-bolts politics? Things related to the personal, including abortion, gender issues, gay issues, religious/moral and racial influences on politics, questions of personal liberties...

Not sure if it's worth a redesign but if one were starting a site from scratch it might make sense to split Politics this way. Of course, the more you subcategorize, the more you get either topics in the wrong forum or topics that I think should be here, you think should be there, or topics that could be in more than one.

For instance I hang out in Media a lot-- some topics go in there that have nothing to do with media, while other topics that are on media end up in Politics or Current Events. Lots of overlap :dunno:

Eh, that's not my preference. There was once a forum on another website that mashed Gay Marriage, Illegal Immigration, and Abortion into one. It didn't work out well. When it comes to select topics, I think of them as elements. It's better to have them more... pure. A Gun Control forum for everything on gun control, an Economics forum on economics, and a Media forum on the media, etc.

It just seems more distinct yet organized. Sometimes people put thread in the wrong forums, but it's not always the case. You raise a valid point about how having more categorized forums can lead to more misplaced threads. I think that however many forums there are, there'll always be those misplaced thread. In a way, it's part of the human condition. I'm not perfect, though. Make a subforum on Human Error and I'll keep it active with examples, lol. :redface::tongue:

Maybe make a section on political issues instead of U.S. Discussion? I don't know. Bolstering your website with a menu of sections and forums is probably a tricky balancing act.

Eh, that's not my preference. There was once a forum on another website that mashed Gay Marriage, Illegal Immigration, and Abortion into one. It didn't work out well. When it comes to select topics, I think of them as elements. It's better to have them more... pure. A Gun Control forum for everything on gun control, an Economics forum on economics, and a Media forum on the media, etc.

It just seems more distinct yet organized. Sometimes people put thread in the wrong forums, but it's not always the case. You raise a valid point about how having more categorized forums can lead to more misplaced threads. I think that however many forums there are, there'll always be those misplaced thread. In a way, it's part of the human condition. I'm not perfect, though. Make a subforum on Human Error and I'll keep it active with examples, lol. :redface::tongue:

Maybe make a section on political issues instead of U.S. Discussion? I don't know. Bolstering your website with a menu of sections and forums is probably a tricky balancing act.

Aye, tricky balancing indeed. I think the thinner you slice it the more not necessarily organized you get, but diffused. And you invite all kinds of overlap that tends to have the opposite effect, i.e. disorganization. For instance a single topic could fit simultaneously under Politics, Current Events, Firearms, and Media. It's really not possible methinks to parse every topic down to a single element in a world composed of interconnections and shades of gray.

But no forum on Abortion.

1. Is there really anything more to be said about abortion?

2. The anti-women, anti-basic rights for everyone except them folx make every post about women.

3. The bosses said the Politics forum wuz gunna git all kinds of cleaned up but its right back to the cesspool it always was and that the other forums still are.

So, seems to me that if there was an abortion forum it would just be more of what all the other forums already are = cesspools full of anti-women and anti-basic rights full of stuff that has been said about 5458 gazillion times already.

But hey, I could be wrong.

OTOH, how about a women's forum where the usual suspects could rail against (1) women buying contraception and whine that they're actually paying for it, (2) women being paid less for doing the same job, (3) women marrying whomever they please, (4) ABORTION IS LEGAL AND NOBODY'S BUSINESS, SO STFU ALREADY.

Final and serious point: this board has way too many forums already. The last thing they need is yet another one. JMO.

I dunno. It'd be a topic under U.S. Discussions. It sounds like a good addition. While it's true that'd it be one more forum, it's a hot one. Looking at Abortion and all the many issues and debates that arise from it, as well as the court cases and rulings, it should be worth it to have its own forum.

Wake, I am tellin yeh, partner, you don't wanna a wake up that Kosher dragon, cause she will a be dragging her saggin' antiabortion wagon in here and we will run for cover.

Take a word a advice, don't do it. :lol:

My vote is no. I hate abortion threads. People who used to be friends wind up enemies and it all comes down to the same argument on who is right and who is wrong it never gets anywhere except causing a helluvalot of strife and angst.

Abortion does fit into politics, but its such a big issue that it really should have its own forum.

IMO.

My vote is no. I hate abortion threads. People who used to be friends wind up enemies and it all comes down to the same argument on who is right and who is wrong it never gets anywhere except causing a helluvalot of strife and angst.

This is a good thing.

Hmmm, maybe I'm changing my mind on this. Maybe they should do one and make it a woman's issues forum and the abortion threads can all go here and I know which forum to avoid. LOL

Wake, I am tellin yeh, partner, you don't wanna a wake up that Kosher dragon, cause she will a be dragging her saggin' antiabortion wagon in here and we will run for cover.

Like everyone else, she has the right to debate abortion. No problem with that.

I see it a little differently. Similaraly I hate threads on Bias in the Media, and quite a few issues in addition to Abortion can turn friends into enemies and turn discussion into partisan warfare. Like abortion, issues like gun control, immigration, race, and gay marriage can affect people the same way. Where's there's politics, there's always going to be strife and contention.

Abortion does fit into politics, but its such a big issue that it really should have its own forum.

IMO.

I always get confused with the "forum" and "subforum" terminology, because various message boards call their segments different things. On this message board, I could see Abortion and Women's Rights being a forum in the U.S. Discussion section. It's a major issue with many different aspects and developments.

Hmmm, maybe I'm changing my mind on this. Maybe they should do one and make it a woman's issues forum and the abortion threads can all go here and I know which forum to avoid. LOL

Another good point. :razz::tongue:

What I find fascinating about the abortion debate is the fact it is often the male of the species that has the strongest and most rigid opinion on a topic they will never have to deal with personally and in which once the anonymous child is born they could care less. I have posted a bit on the subject and I know several women who have had abortions and they are all good people, most are mothers. Abortion for me is the hypocrite's crutch as I have noted often, it requires nothing but empty moral posturing that rarely enters into other complex topics. How much does poverty bother anyone? Abortion is both an interference into another's life and a distraction from education and contraceptive information that would make the topic moot.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean...way-it-was-pre-roe-v-wade-11.html#post6717483
http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...-a-heartbeat-is-detectable-4.html#post3814184
http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...e-with-a-history-of-trauma-5.html#post4730878
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...luding-late-term-abortions-2.html#post5858288
http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/241999-abortion-rape-question-4.html#post5859215

"In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time." HISTORY OF ABORTION

"Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State." Edward Abbey

Last edited:

Forum List

Back