A New Trend: Kindergartners Not Potty-Trained

There have always been a few that might have an accident. It happens, but to be wearing diapers/pull-ups, tells me they are not doing their due diligence, unless there is a medical reason.

Sometimes there is no medical reason and then it is reverting back to the difference between not wanting to stop playing or not even being aware. The parents may not even know which direction to go or they may not have access to resources.

So, then we need to start looking at environments. Start from the outside in. What does the neighborhood look like? What is the level of violence in the neighborhood? Who are the primary caretakers? What is the family structure? What is the socioeconomic status? How many siblings?
Access to resources? I don’t follow.
And blaming it on a neighborhood, socioeconomic status is a scapegoat. I would imagine there are those of all socioeconomic statuses that also take the easier route, just because it is easier.
There is nothing EASIER about having a kid soiling himself at 5 years old!
So, you believe this trend of more and more not being trained has to do with what?
TBH, I do not believe it. OP would like me to believe that there are a growing number of parents out there who are happy to change their five year old's shitty diapers because they are too lazy to potty train them.
Nope. Never happened.
When I assessed child safety, if I saw a child that old who was not potty trained, I would ask what was going on and make sure the parent was on top of the problem. Actually, I only ran into it once with a school aged child, and she was so horribly neglected and abused that we took her into custody the day I met her. Wetting the bed, sure. But an otherwise normal kid? Even the most neglectful drug addicts don't want to deal with diapers, folks. At least that has been my experience.

OP routinely bitches about special needs students in regular classrooms and while I don't really blame her for blowing off steam, I think this is more of the same.

All you have is "blowing off steam" Old Lady. I come with links stats and articles, which you ignore, because they offend your snowflake sensibilities, as usual. Explosive, violent student behavior on the rise. Of course, the Left doesn't mind the violence at all if the students are diagnosed with some problem. If the student is diagnosed with some problem and you get your head bashed in, you should have ducked faster.

Victimology at work in our schools, everyone. Only, I'm telling you this now, the tide is slowly turning on this, and gen ed parents are getting really darn sick and tired of their own children having to walk out of their classrooms two, three and more times a week because someone is in there destroying it.

Not to mention the real risk of their gen ed student getting injured.

Do try to keep up, Old Lady.

Explosive student behavior is on the rise in local schools and across the nation, a likely consequence of childhood traumas such as homelessness, poverty and drug abuse. It’s a problem that will only be fixed by increased supports for students, additional school staff and strong connections between schools, pediatricians, mental health professionals and other community support groups, say educators and other youth professionals.

In a survey by Longview’s branch of Service Employees International Union — which represents staff such as teachers aides, bus drivers and cafeteria workers — 90% of respondents said they visited a school nurse for medical assistance after being injured during a student’s behavioral outburst. Almost 40% said their injuries required a hospital visit or some other off-site licensed medical provider.

“You go back a few years, and these things weren’t happening then,” said Crystal Tift, a teaching aide who has worked in school behavior programs for more than a decade.

A 2011 American Psychological Association survey of 3,000 teachers from 48 states revealed that at least 44% of teachers reported being physically attacked over the course of a year. However, based on more recent studies by various teaching association, the percentage of teachers being attacked in schools is likely closer to 80%, according to a 2017 article by the national threat response technology company RAVE Mobile Solutions.

Local, national schools face rising number of explosively violent kids

poor parenting....kids want to toilet train...the 4 and half is already wiping herself after a bm....sure you have to rewipe and check ...she is doing great...and toilet training starts early....as soon as she noticed that adults wear panties we would tell her that one day she would get panties...it is sad that teachers are expected to change diapers or wipe kids butts

there should be certain expectations of kids before they enter school...back in the day.....mid 80's ...a child was expected to hit certain milestones before they ventured out to school...nothing wrong with milestones....knowing their letters, their numbers etc...toilet training should be required before public school...neglect is the only reason a so called 'normal" child would not be...i have little tolerance for lazy parents...

there should be certain expectations of kids before they enter school...back in the day.....mid 80's ...a child was expected to hit certain milestones before they ventured out to school...nothing wrong with milestones....knowing their letters, their numbers etc...toilet training should be required before public school...neglect is the only reason a so called 'normal" child would not be...i have little tolerance for lazy parents...

My hubby and I were discussing this. Gone are any expectations. Skipping, knowing letters and numbers, tying shoes, pooping in the toilet, nope. Again, if they hit the birthday cut-off date and live in the district, they can come to school. It's up to the district then to offer "reasonable accommodation".

Pertinent to what I said above, I think we're about to have a long national conversation about what constitutes "reasonable accommodation". Canada is having this conversation already, and so are Australia and NZ. In short, teachers and gen ed students and parents got real tired of getting physically assaulted by students who could not be properly accommodated in public schools--and were tired of having to stay quiet about it because they had "special needs".

It's about to happen here.

Secondly, to back track (on an individual basis rather than as a group) through their personal history.

good point....so what we've here is a canned study ,done w/bias and conjecture

then used to demonize a target group>>>>

"The district told the Board of Education that there were only about six or eight students in the district. When we heard that, we knew that that wasn't correct, and this is one of the reasons that we did the study — and this was only a one-week study, I'm sure there are more than 43. Most of it is concentrated in kindergarten and pre-K. However, we have some students that are 5, 6 and 7 years old that are having a similar issue."

maybe they could investigarte climate change next....

~S~

Secondly, to back track (on an individual basis rather than as a group) through their personal history.

"The district told the Board of Education that there were only about six or eight students in the district. When we heard that, we knew that that wasn't correct, and this is one of the reasons that we did the study — and this was only a one-week study, I'm sure there are more than 43. Most of it is concentrated in kindergarten and pre-K. However, we have some students that are 5, 6 and 7 years old that are having a similar issue."

~S~

What "target group" is being "demonized", do tell?

You know the schools are in complete chaos because large swaths of people are cowed for fear of "demonizing" "target groups". But mark my words: people are fed up and ready to speak out.

Here's one hint for you: Nikolas Cruz. The problem was not his gun. The problem was that he was coddled all the way through because he was given a label and so his incredibly violent tendencies were either ignored or excused by "soft-hearted educators" who didn't want to "demonize" him.

So now, kids are dead.

That's what happens in the worst cases. In the smaller cases, we have six year olds pooping in their pants more and more and more and at least two posters here casting aspersions on those who say this isn't acceptable.

Well, it's isn't acceptable. Beyond that, it's even a health hazard. Do you disagree?

~S~
Surveys offer only close ended questions. They don't go any further. They don't allow for any additional information. They can say whatever they want.

~S~

You know the schools are in complete chaos because large swaths of people are cowed for fear of "demonizing" "target groups". But mark my words: people are fed up and ready to speak out.

Here's one hint for you: Nikolas Cruz. The problem was not his gun. The problem was that he was coddled all the way through because he was given a label and so his incredibly violent tendencies were either ignored or excused by "soft-hearted educators" who didn't want to "demonize" him.

So now, kids are dead.

That's what happens in the worst cases. In the smaller cases, we have six year olds pooping in their pants more and more and more and at least two posters here casting aspersions on those who say this isn't acceptable.

Well, it's isn't acceptable. Beyond that, it's even a health hazard. Do you disagree?

His history doesn't show that he was coddled. That is a kid with severe mental health issues of which everyone was aware.

My hubby and I were discussing this. Gone are any expectations. Skipping, knowing letters and numbers, tying shoes, pooping in the toilet, nope. Again, if they hit the birthday cut-off date and live in the district, they can come to school. It's up to the district then to offer "reasonable accommodation".

Pertinent to what I said above, I think we're about to have a long national conversation about what constitutes "reasonable accommodation". Canada is having this conversation already, and so are Australia and NZ. In short, teachers and gen ed students and parents got real tired of getting physically assaulted by students who could not be properly accommodated in public schools--and were tired of having to stay quiet about it because they had "special needs".

That conversation needs to happen here. Kids are mainstreamed because of cash. It's sold as being beneficial to the kids.

So now, kids are dead.

Yes, so now most schools operate like prisons

Surveys offer only close ended questions. They don't go any further. They don't allow for any additional information. They can say whatever they want.

They allow public opinion to be swayed over statistical minority occurances , enableing for the 'powers that be' to impose kneejerk doctrine and control over the entire majority.

Easy solution
, kids past K have a load? send him/her to the nurses office for parental pick up

Stupid solution, district officals impose diaper police
image18.jpg

~S~

~S~

So now, kids are dead.

His history doesn't show that he was coddled. That is a kid with severe mental health issues of which everyone was aware.

Yes indeed--coddled in that he was passed along--given too many chances in light of his violent tendencies. We must always have a dual focus in my opinion: yes, the severe mental health issues in mind, so not blaming the child for that; but also the safety and security of all others in mind GIVEN the severe mental illness.

We do an abysmal job of the latter in the public schools. And when I say abysmal, I mean abysmal. The reason we do, actually, is that we are largely compassionate, soft-hearted people with a propensity to champion "the underdog". But this gives us a HUGE blind spot toward all the other children we are charged to care for. To their great peril, actually. I see this everywhere.

Last edited:
You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

Buffalo Teachers Say Having To Change Kids' Diapers Is A Bum Deal
You read that right. Not only in my district but apparently everywhere. Students coming to kindergarten and REMAINING in kind. in pull-ups. And having bowel "accidents" in pull-ups. Many of these students are not special needs, either. They have no known medical, physical, behavioral or emotional problems.

Naturally the important thing is that these students not be mocked and feel no pressure whatsoever....

Buffalo Teachers Say Having To Change Kids' Diapers Is A Bum Deal

I would be careful with that. If you have a 5, 6, 7 year old in pull ups then you have something else going on. It is not uncommon for kids to regress. Schools seldom have the full picture.

I wonder then why it seems to be an epidemic that we have only seen recently. I had never, ever heard of this in my 25 years of teaching before, say, the last 5 years.
In 1961, when I was in first grade, one of my classmates wet himself several times. He wasn't "special." He just had accidents sometimes. His mom sent him extra pants to change into.

The reason for these normal children at the edge of the developmental spectrum when it comes to potty training is that they get so engrossed in what is going on that they don't notice in time that their bladder is full or that their bowels are rumbling. It embarrasses them as much as it annoys the teacher. They DO grow out of it.

I knew when I first read your OP that you would blame this on the dissolution of society. That's bosh. Do you really think there is a parent in this country that wouldn't LOVE to see their 4 or 5 year old potty trained? REALLY, Sue?

Maybe you're just hearing about this because it wasn't talked about before. Now it is some big deal that ultra conservatives will rush to exploit in order to show that LIBERALS don't potty train their children.

This is disgusting.

Sue nevet mentioned liberals.

Telling you did though

And blaming it on a neighborhood, socioeconomic status is a scapegoat. I would imagine there are those of all socioeconomic statuses that also take the easier route, just because it is easier.

Yes. If you stop questioning right there, then you have a scapegoat. I agree with that. And No. If we know from the get go that trauma impacts children in different ways then all you are doing is ruling things out. The key thing is not to stop questioning until you have an answer.
It is trending up. For one thing, today’s diapers and pull-ups completely wick away the wetness so a child doesn’t even feel discomfort when they pee in them. It traditionally had been that discomfort that helped kids decide it was better to go in the toilet, rather than in their diapers. They don’t have to deal with that today.

If it were my kinder-aged five year old with this situation, I would first take him/her to every single professional necessary: the doctor, a counselor, etc. If there was found to be no problems, I would take a leave from work and homeschool my child until that issue was solved. No pull ups, no diapers, and I would tell my child, lovingly but firmly, "In our home five year olds take care of their own toileting. You will either take care of your poop and pee by flushing it away in the toilet, or you will help me clean it out of your underwear."

Natural consequences, folks.
If you’re like me, it would happen before 5 even. Boys always seem to be later, but if they still refuse by 4, and nothing is medically wrong, then that would be my approach. I realize many kids may still have an occasional accident, but that is to be expected, and reminders once again to listen to their body telling them their bladder, etc is full would be in store.
If there is bed wetting, then no drinks after a certain hour, going before they go to bed, and nothing with caffeine or sugar, either.
[
Bed wetting is usually caused by deep sleep. Some kids don't outgrow it until adolescence.

Pyromaniacs are bedwetters for life. True story.

That conversation needs to happen here. Kids are mainstreamed because of cash. It's sold as being beneficial to the kids.

The blind spots we have are astounding to me. I mean that. Astounding.

All kinds of talk about trauma and traumatized children today, and I understand that. I do. I understand it, I understand that their brains are wired differently. I have a heart for these children.

But I cannot understand, not for the life of me, how--because they are traumatized--they are allowed to bite, hit, kick, spit, throw, destroy and etc. and it's okay. Then, when they leave, I turn to my six year olds and what do I see? Trauma in THEIR eyes.

HELLO??!! Anyone?? Hello???

I feel like I'm shouting in the wind, I'm so frustrated. Can ANYONE tell me why, because of one child's trauma, she gets to traumatize an entire classroom???

Sometimes there is no medical reason and then it is reverting back to the difference between not wanting to stop playing or not even being aware. The parents may not even know which direction to go or they may not have access to resources.

So, then we need to start looking at environments. Start from the outside in. What does the neighborhood look like? What is the level of violence in the neighborhood? Who are the primary caretakers? What is the family structure? What is the socioeconomic status? How many siblings?
So, you believe this trend of more and more not being trained has to do with what?
TBH, I do not believe it. OP would like me to believe that there are a growing number of parents out there who are happy to change their five year old's shitty diapers because they are too lazy to potty train them.
Nope. Never happened.
When I assessed child safety, if I saw a child that old who was not potty trained, I would ask what was going on and make sure the parent was on top of the problem. Actually, I only ran into it once with a school aged child, and she was so horribly neglected and abused that we took her into custody the day I met her. Wetting the bed, sure. But an otherwise normal kid? Even the most neglectful drug addicts don't want to deal with diapers, folks. At least that has been my experience.

OP routinely bitches about special needs students in regular classrooms and while I don't really blame her for blowing off steam, I think this is more of the same.

I won the top award given in my huge district for serving special needs students Old Lady, so you can take whatever got into your cheerios yesterday, roll it, light it, and smoke it right on up.

Because I serve all the students in the building, I see the needs of ALL the students. And you best believe when classrooms are routinely being evacuated because someone loses their crap AGAIN, the entire thing is out of whack.

You don't like that I say that, that hurts your delicate sensibilities, I don't care. But you remember, in five years, when the pendulum swings back again so much that we're all talking about it, that Sue was ahead of that curve.
If you won an award, no wonder you have to come here anonymously to tell us how you really feel.

You've got me wrong, though. I'm just observing a truth, which point you just made again. You don't like these special needs students in your classroom(s). I am not a huge proponent of mainstreaming disruptive or high needs children. I would be shot if I said so out loud, so like you I am saying it here.

You might as well just tell the truth, Sue, instead of pretending to be your award winning self. If they only knew.

Nope. Never happened.

I won the top award given in my huge district for serving special needs students Old Lady, so you can take whatever got into your cheerios yesterday, roll it, light it, and smoke it right on up.

Because I serve all the students in the building, I see the needs of ALL the students. And you best believe when classrooms are routinely being evacuated because someone loses their crap AGAIN, the entire thing is out of whack.

You don't like that I say that, that hurts your delicate sensibilities, I don't care. But you remember, in five years, when the pendulum swings back again so much that we're all talking about it, that Sue was ahead of that curve.
If you won an award, no wonder you have to come here anonymously to tell us how you really feel.

You've got me wrong, though. I'm just observing a truth, which point you just made again. You don't like these special needs students in your classroom(s). I am not a huge proponent of mainstreaming disruptive or high needs children. I would be shot if I said so out loud, so like you I am saying it here.

You might as well just tell the truth, Sue, instead of pretending to be your award winning self. If they only knew.

Oh so you're projecting. Interesting.

I never said "I don't like these special needs students in my classroom" and in fact I don't feel that way at all. So DO NOT put words in my mouth, and do not speak for me.

I think we have gone way too far when the students are at risk of physically harming their teachers and other children--and we are there. We have been there for awhile. And do not think I haven't said this in the district where I work---I have, to my admin. Many times.

Again, do not project YOUR thoughts about "mainstreaming"--we don't use that term anymore btw--on me. I don't think that way.

Nope. Never happened.

All you have is "blowing off steam" Old Lady. I come with links stats and articles, which you ignore, because they offend your snowflake sensibilities, as usual. Explosive, violent student behavior on the rise. Of course, the Left doesn't mind the violence at all if the students are diagnosed with some problem. If the student is diagnosed with some problem and you get your head bashed in, you should have ducked faster.

Victimology at work in our schools, everyone. Only, I'm telling you this now, the tide is slowly turning on this, and gen ed parents are getting really darn sick and tired of their own children having to walk out of their classrooms two, three and more times a week because someone is in there destroying it.

Explosive student behavior is on the rise in local schools and across the nation, a likely consequence of childhood traumas such as homelessness, poverty and drug abuse. It’s a problem that will only be fixed by increased supports for students, additional school staff and strong connections between schools, pediatricians, mental health professionals and other community support groups, say educators and other youth professionals.

In a survey by Longview’s branch of Service Employees International Union — which represents staff such as teachers aides, bus drivers and cafeteria workers — 90% of respondents said they visited a school nurse for medical assistance after being injured during a student’s behavioral outburst. Almost 40% said their injuries required a hospital visit or some other off-site licensed medical provider.

“You go back a few years, and these things weren’t happening then,” said Crystal Tift, a teaching aide who has worked in school behavior programs for more than a decade.

A 2011 American Psychological Association survey of 3,000 teachers from 48 states revealed that at least 44% of teachers reported being physically attacked over the course of a year. However, based on more recent studies by various teaching association, the percentage of teachers being attacked in schools is likely closer to 80%, according to a 2017 article by the national threat response technology company RAVE Mobile Solutions.

the Left doesn't mind the violence at all if the students are diagnosed with some problem....Victimology at work in our schools, everyone.

Did I tell you, Marion Morrison?

The same old same old from her--the nasty left all around her.....

Nope. Never happened.

the Left doesn't mind the violence at all if the students are diagnosed with some problem....Victimology at work in our schools, everyone.

Did I tell you, Marion Morrison?

The same old same old from her--the nasty left all around her.....

Absolutely, the Left has authored the victimology cult in our culture. They absolutely own every bit of that.

Nope. Never happened.

Oh so you're projecting. Interesting.

I never said "I don't like these special needs students in my classroom" and in fact I don't feel that way at all. So DO NOT put words in my mouth, and do not speak for me.

I think we have gone way too far when the students are at risk of physically harming their teachers and other children--and we are there. We have been there for awhile. And do not think I haven't said this in the district where I work---I have, to my admin. Many times.

Again, do not project YOUR thoughts about "mainstreaming"--we don't use that term anymore btw--on me. I don't think that way.
Sure, Sue

:dig:

Forum List

Back