A Penny For Your Thoughts

WillPower

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2018
This is a remarkable story about a simple English penny from 1889 saving a Brit soldier's life during WW1. You hear about these things....I did when I was serving overseas....most are tall tales, some are never told. I had two rifles shot out my hands, a canteen shot off my hip, a Willy Pete shot off my rucksack strap (it didn't ignite), and was in a hut when a mortar round hit it, throwing a wood table in front of me that caught the shrapnel I'd have caught. Most Vets have similar stories and why most of us hate somebody saying "good luck" to us. Our luck is pretty much spent and it's a jinx IMO. So anyway here's a true story about a lucky penny in a fella's pocket:

A 19th-century penny that miraculously saved the life of a British World War I soldier is set to go up for auction next week....(which is why I posted this in Current Events)

694940094001_6014471986001_6014467570001-vs.jpg

The penny belonged to Private John Trickett, who kept it in the top breast pocket of his uniform as a "poignant reminder of home" during the war, SWNS reports. While on a French battlefield fighting German forces in 1914, a German soldier shot at Trickett. The bullet hit the penny, nestled firmly in Trickett's breast pocket, ricocheted through his nose and went out back of his ear, Maureen Coulson, Trickett’s granddaughter, said. Militaria expert Adrian Stevenson, who found the coin, said: “It looks to me like a pistol bullet hit the penny at close range. I’ve come across many stories of random objects saving soldiers’ lives but I’ve never seen anything like this before."

The 63-year-old Coulson noted that her grandfather was a "great big guy" and would go on to marry Coulson's grandmother, Clementine. He worked as a postmaster and a switchboard operator and would become the father to 8 children, prior to his death in 1962.

Miracle penny that saved WWI soldier's life to go up for auction: 'Never seen anything like this before'

Cool story but I would like to challenge the physical evidence.

Sorry to be a bit of a buzzkill but a "pistol bullet hitting a (copper) penny at close range" would not have had this sort of an outcome. Else, we would still be making bullet proof vests out of "copper pennies" to this day.

• Banned

Sorry to be a bit of a buzzkill but a "pistol bullet hitting a (copper) penny at close range" would not have had this sort of an outcome. Else, we would still be making bullet proof vests out of "copper pennies" to this day.

It sure did....glanced off it (perfect angle) and went up through his nose and out his ear. This is a "Bun Penny", pure copper, not the crap zinc/copper coated penny we're using today.

It sure did....glanced off it (perfect angle) and went up through his nose and out his ear. This is a "Bun Penny", pure copper, not the crap zinc/copper coated penny we're using today.

The penny would have needed a significant amount of resistance behind it to deflect the trajectory of a "close range" shot in any significant way.

Like I said, cool story but I would like to see a "MythBusters" episode on this.

• Banned
The penny would have needed a significant amount of resistance behind it to deflect the trajectory of a "close range" shot in any significant way.

Like I said, cool story but I would like to see a "MythBusters" episode on this.

Seriously....the proof is in front of you....did you know a rifle round will ricochet off water? Like the story says, it's a one in a million but no doubt a one.

At the right angle I could see it happening....but It would probably never happen again in a thousand years...what a story...

At the right angle I could see it happening....but It would probably never happen again in a thousand years...what a story...

At the right angle. . .

Maybe.

But the article said "close range."

I want to see MythBusters recreate it with only one coin and close range. At ANY angle.

• Banned

At the right angle. . .

Maybe.

I want to see MythBusters recreate it with only one coin and close range. At ANY angle.

It also said a pistol shot...probably from a luger or mauser C-96...9mm....may have been an under-powered round which wasn't uncommon...may have been a lot of things including getting the range wrong....how could anybody be that "expert"? Now stop hassling me. :lol:

At the right angle. . .

Maybe.

It also said a pistol shot...probably from a luger or mauser C-96...9mm....may have been an under-powered round which wasn't uncommon...may have been a lot of things including getting the range wrong....how could anybody be that "expert"? Now stop hassling me. :lol:

I'm not hassling anybody.

I am skeptical of this story.

Thats all.

You personally are not a factor in any of my feelings about this story at all.

I have shot firearms pretty much my whole life and I have a very good idea about the energy of a round on impact.

The article requires the reader to believe that a bullet struck that penny in the guys Chest pocket distorted the hell out of the penny without driving it into his chest. . . and deflected with enough energy left to travel into and through his nose and then exit behind his ear.

I want to see someone even approximately recreate that shot at ANY angle or velocity. . . Using a WW1 weapon and round.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back