A question for liberals: Washington State MW=$11 an hour, Texas MW=$7.25 an hour ..

When you consider the cost of living those Seattle warehouse workers are getting screwed.

Min wage in Seattle pays 15 an hour

I thought that was supposed to be phased in incrementally?

Yes and the 15 an hour is now in effect for the Seattle area since the beginning of this year. And the unemployment rate is well below four percent. No smoke, no mirrors.

Pretty sure that was debunked a few pages back.

So, how is the UE rate among teens and young people 16-25 doing in Seattle and Washington state compared to the rest of the country? Especially among minorities? Not so good from what I've seen.

When you consider the cost of living those Seattle warehouse workers are getting screwed.

Yes and the 15 an hour is now in effect for the Seattle area since the beginning of this year. And the unemployment rate is well below four percent. No smoke, no mirrors.

You wish.

Seattle Minimum Wage — Working Washington
Working Washington › seattle-minimum...
ALERT: On January 1, 2017, the first group of Seattleworkers reaches $15/hour! And across the state, the minimum wage rises to $11/hour.

You wish.

ALERT: On January 1, 2017, the first group of Seattleworkers reaches $15/hour! And across the state, the minimum wage rises to $11/hour.

I already answered this. Are you just ignoring the facts? Seriously you are just going to post "working Washington" which is a political lobbying group, as if that is a trust worthy source of information? That's like smoking doesn't cause cancer, the Tabasco company said so.

The number of restaurants being affected by this law, is extremely small.

I punched up Seattle Craigslist jobs.
seattle jobs - craigslist

In under 1 minute, I had run through a dozen plus jobs that all paid less than $15.

Kirkland Kidd Valley now hiring all positions! Start at $12 per hour
SUMMER JOB- Artistic& Crafty Needed in WEDDING INDUSTRY- $11-$13/hour
Silver City Restaurant - Experienced Line Cook - $14.00 per hour
Dairy Queen is hiring 11-16 an hour
Red Robin - Line Cook / Kitchen Prep @ $13+ per hour!

That's a just a few I found. There are DOZENS on there paying less.

Which of course begs the question how they can pay less than the $15 minimum wage. The answer is on your own link.

$15 an hour if you work at McDonald's, Target or another large company or chain with more than 500 employees nationally, and you do not receive healthcare benefits from your employer.

As long as they are offered health insurance, then they do not have to pay $15 an hour.

Now it's true that the minimum wage has gone up, and the facts are in... they are cutting working hours, and increasing prices to consumers.

Fast food prices on the rise in Seattle area

Customers are quickly finding out they can drive two blocks to get outside the city limit, and save $2 on their meal. Prices are going up quickly across the city.

And let me ask you.... assuming you are not that dumb.... what happens when you increase the price on any good or service? Consumption goes down. Right? Is that not obvious? If the price of a whooper doubles to $10... it's a safe bet that they are going to sell fewer whoopers.... can we agree on that?

Well when the price of a drink at a McDonalds inside the minimum wage zone is $1.59, and the exact same drink is only $1 across the street.... What do you think is going to happen? People are going to stop buying from those places.

Huh..... what do you think happens when customers stop buying from those places?..... Fewer customers means fewer workers needed doesn't it? How much are those workers going to make with that higher minimum wage, after they are unemployed?

You want to see "short labor" = "high pay"? Try Alaska, that welding job $32.74 + Full Benefits "The North Slope Borough offers the following benefit packages to all permanent full time and permanent part time employees who work at least 15 hours a week. Health care is provided at no cost to the employee (no premiums). Our Health Care package covers major medical, preventive care, vision, dental and prescription drug benefits."

Alaska is constantly desperate for workers and we pay damn well. No state taxes, most cities don't have sales tax, no toll roads (not many roads heh) We do have a gas tax (mild) and our property taxes are a bit high because we spoil the shit out of our teachers, police, and firemen just to keep them up here.

Alaska does know how to fairly pay people....something the 7.25 states haven't figured out. it's a great sign when companies aren't filling openings because that means those jobs aren't worth applying for.

You wish.

I already answered this. Are you just ignoring the facts? Seriously you are just going to post "working Washington" which is a political lobbying group, as if that is a trust worthy source of information? That's like smoking doesn't cause cancer, the Tabasco company said so.

In under 1 minute, I had run through a dozen plus jobs that all paid less than $15.

Which of course begs the question how they can pay less than the $15 minimum wage. The answer is on your own link.

$15 an hour if you work at McDonald's, Target or another large company or chain with more than 500 employees nationally, and you do not receive healthcare benefits from your employer.

As long as they are offered health insurance, then they do not have to pay $15 an hour.

Now it's true that the minimum wage has gone up, and the facts are in... they are cutting working hours, and increasing prices to consumers.

Customers are quickly finding out they can drive two blocks to get outside the city limit, and save $2 on their meal. Prices are going up quickly across the city.

And let me ask you.... assuming you are not that dumb.... what happens when you increase the price on any good or service? Consumption goes down. Right? Is that not obvious? If the price of a whooper doubles to $10... it's a safe bet that they are going to sell fewer whoopers.... can we agree on that?

Well when the price of a drink at a McDonalds inside the minimum wage zone is $1.59, and the exact same drink is only $1 across the street.... What do you think is going to happen? People are going to stop buying from those places.

Huh..... what do you think happens when customers stop buying from those places?..... Fewer customers means fewer workers needed doesn't it? How much are those workers going to make with that higher minimum wage, after they are unemployed?

Nobody is making less than 11 per hour at this point in time and the 15 an hour jobs that are already already out there will only will grow in number and in relatively short order. Guaranteed pay rises. Sounds good to me.

Now compare that to 7.25 an hour in Texas and tell me again how great that is?

You wish.

where are you getting your inflation numbers from? some sources claim a price inflation rate of three to four percent.

Alaska does know how to fairly pay people....something the 7.25 states haven't figured out. it's a great sign when companies aren't filling openings because that means those jobs aren't worth applying for.

You won't like it, but that result is the unaltered process of free market labor at work. Alaska went $9.25/h in 2015, it didn't even make the news, despite our heavy republican base because no one up here gets paid under $10 (and hasn't in ages.) The businesses up here know damn well they've got to suck it up and pay higher wages if they want employees. Lower 48, especially southern lower 48 has a glut of employees so the wages are low. Supply and demand.

You wish.

Ludicrous.
Let me give a little bit of history between me and Bear about this particular subject (MW in Seattle) since I've joined this board. Two of my relatives own 2 seafood restaurants in Seattle, most of them work for the (34) city and Boeing. I can find out how many permits issued, building in process or closed. That said.
Your link are all anti-MW that pick and choose for your convenience. They can print or publish just about anything. You make it sound that Seattle is collapsing bc of MW hike.
Your McDonald's example of $1.59 drink is purely bogus. Most or all customers go to McDonald's for cheap meal. The only way it's cheaper across the street are those little hamburger stand because they have lower over head like 3 or 4 employees & no drive thru ------------ It's NOT because of MW hike. And no matter where you go in America that is always 100% the case------ It's NOT because of MW hike. Most of these hamburger stand do not survive if they are near McDonald's or other large franchises.
BOTTOM LINE-------- Are Seattle businesses suffering because of this MW increased? NO.
Is the economy in Seattle is booming? YES. Unemployment? I will leave that to you.
How many businesses that went bankrupt bc of MW increased?

You wish.

Ludicrous.
Let me give a little bit of history between me and Bear about this particular subject (MW in Seattle) since I've joined this board. Two of my relatives own 2 seafood restaurants in Seattle, most of them work for the (34) city and Boeing. I can find out how many permits issued, building in process or closed. That said.
Your link are all anti-MW that pick and choose for your convenience. They can print or publish just about anything. You make it sound that Seattle is collapsing bc of MW hike.
Your McDonald's example of $1.59 drink is purely bogus. Most or all customers go to McDonald's for cheap meal. The only way it's cheaper across the street are those little hamburger stand because they have lower over head like 3 or 4 employees & no drive thru ------------ It's NOT because of MW hike. And no matter where you go in America that is always 100% the case------ It's NOT because of MW hike. Most of these hamburger stand do not survive if they are near McDonald's or other large franchises.
BOTTOM LINE-------- Are Seattle businesses suffering because of this MW increased? NO.
Is the economy in Seattle is booming? YES. Unemployment? I will leave that to you.

We already said that. You keep making claims that are not in dispute.

We already said that the economy of Seattle was growing BEFORE the minimum wage hike.
We already said that wages were going up in Seattle BEFORE the minimum wage hike.

If the natural economy is driving up wages above the minimum wage... then we wouldn't expect the minimum wage to have any effect at all.

A clear example, is working at the Wendy's store, in down town Columbus ohio. The STARTING wage at the down town store, is $12.00

The minimum wage is $9. If the city of Columbus raised the minimum wage to $11.00 an hour..... what effect would that have on the employees and employer at the Wendy's down town? None. ZERO. You didn't help anyone, you didn't hurt anyone.

The economy is already pushing wages above the minimum wage, so it has no major effect.

Only the stores that have lower wages would be affected. Because those are a minority... which I already said very few people are affected by this minimum wage.... then they won't have a noticeable impact on the general statistical numbers. Again, everything you are saying, we already said.

The part you disagree with, is that the few people that are affected by the minimum wage, the effects are negative.

They increase prices on consumers, and reduce working hours.

You claim that I'm citing sources that cheery pick data to paint it in the worst light.

Do you even know who the source of that information is?
Why raising the minimum wage in Seattle did little to help workers, according to a new study

Yet the actual benefits to workers might have been minimal, according to a group of economists whom the city commissioned to study the minimum wage and who presented their initial findings last week.

Accounting for these factors, the average increase in total earnings due to the minimum wage was small, the researchers concluded. Using their preferred method, they calculated that workers' earnings increased by $5.54 a week on average because of the minimum wage. Using other methods, the researchers found that the minimum wage hike actually caused total weekly earnings to drop -- by as much as $5.22 a week.​

So let me help you out there...

The information I've been posting, is from the very city government of Seattle, which paid economists to research the effects of the minimum wage.

So you are telling me, that the politicians of the city, are cherry picking data, to make themselves look bad?

Are are you just wrong, and full of crap?

You wish.

Ludicrous.

We already said that the economy of Seattle was growing BEFORE the minimum wage hike.
We already said that wages were going up in Seattle BEFORE the minimum wage hike.

If the natural economy is driving up wages above the minimum wage... then we wouldn't expect the minimum wage to have any effect at all.

A clear example, is working at the Wendy's store, in down town Columbus ohio. The STARTING wage at the down town store, is $12.00

The minimum wage is $9. If the city of Columbus raised the minimum wage to $11.00 an hour..... what effect would that have on the employees and employer at the Wendy's down town? None. ZERO. You didn't help anyone, you didn't hurt anyone.

The economy is already pushing wages above the minimum wage, so it has no major effect.

Only the stores that have lower wages would be affected. Because those are a minority... which I already said very few people are affected by this minimum wage.... then they won't have a noticeable impact on the general statistical numbers. Again, everything you are saying, we already said.

The part you disagree with, is that the few people that are affected by the minimum wage, the effects are negative.

You claim that I'm citing sources that cheery pick data to paint it in the worst light.

Why raising the minimum wage in Seattle did little to help workers, according to a new study

Yet the actual benefits to workers might have been minimal, according to a group of economists whom the city commissioned to study the minimum wage and who presented their initial findings last week.

Accounting for these factors, the average increase in total earnings due to the minimum wage was small, the researchers concluded. Using their preferred method, they calculated that workers' earnings increased by $5.54 a week on average because of the minimum wage. Using other methods, the researchers found that the minimum wage hike actually caused total weekly earnings to drop -- by as much as $5.22 a week.​

The information I've been posting, is from the very city government of Seattle, which paid economists to research the effects of the minimum wage.

So you are telling me, that the politicians of the city, are cherry picking data, to make themselves look bad?

How is having to work fewer hours, a bad thing?

You wish.

Ludicrous.

Uuuuuuhhhhh.....money?

You wish.

Ludicrous.

You still butt hurt over not comprehending supply and demand?

I bet you think this thread is about you

Your so vane...

I hate repeating myself, this thread has nothing to do with Texas or Washington State I was just using them as examples

Again go look it up for yourself on the job boards..

A higher national minimum wage does not raise wages over minimum wage much as claimed by liberals.

A pro Union state does not raise wages for non union workers.

Go look for your self's....

You wish.

Ludicrous.

Uuuuuuhhhhh.....money?
dear; a fifteen dollar an hour wage means fewer hours for the same amount.

Ludicrous.

Uuuuuuhhhhh.....money?
dear; a fifteen dollar an hour wage means fewer hours for the same amount.

Uh.....dear,you dont make more money when you work fewer hours.

I hate repeating myself, this thread has nothing to do with Texas or Washington State I was just using them as examples

Again go look it up for yourself on the job boards..

A higher national minimum wage does not raise wages over minimum wage much as claimed by liberals.

A pro Union state does not raise wages for non union workers.

Go look for your self's....

And your point being?

Forum List

Back