CDZ A science based discussion concerning climate change

Yes atmospheric CO2 is a rather small percentage however it is THE MAIN GREENHOUSE GAS IN OUR ATMOSPHERE. Or it was until surpassed most recently by CH4.

Although, if you want to understand atmospheric gas concentrations we are going to have to agree on the standard unit of measure, which is PPM in the case of CO2

PPM or % not matter? (% of makeup or PPM are a stat of measure). you lose me there?

images.png

Secondly CO2 was always a % of atmosphere, correct? Before Oil. How do we know they measured it correctly in 1821? Now it a bit higher? 0.0394% or 394ppm very small.

THE MAIN GREENHOUSE GAS IN OUR ATMOSPHERE: I am no expert (here to learn) but I have been told this gas is produced by plants.

Thats because you may not be aware of both long and short wave radiation. A greenhouse gas is such because it is of the right size and shape that it reflects a very specific type of radiation or frequency. The frequency of radiation that enters the atmosphere from the sun is different than the frequency of radiation that reflects from the earths surface

ahhhh.......OK. I read a bit. Solar radiation passed thru more easily 70% than infared radiation gets back out 30%?

if you say so...........hmmmmm. How can we argue this? later?

Yes atmospheric CO2 is a rather small percentage however it is THE MAIN GREENHOUSE GAS IN OUR ATMOSPHERE. Or it was until surpassed most recently by CH4.

Although, if you want to understand atmospheric gas concentrations we are going to have to agree on the standard unit of measure, which is PPM in the case of CO2

PPM or % not matter? (% of makeup or PPM are a stat of measure). you lose me there?

View attachment 58309

Secondly CO2 was always a % of atmosphere, correct? Before Oil. How do we know they measured it correctly in 1821? Now it a bit higher? 0.0394% or 394ppm very small.

THE MAIN GREENHOUSE GAS IN OUR ATMOSPHERE: I am no expert (here to learn) but I have been told this gas is produced by plants.

Easy now big fella, lets take it one issue at a time.

PPM is the accepted measure of gasses in the atmosphere so lets go with that.

As for the paleo climate record so many proxy data development methods have been used and coroberate one another its really not a question. However deniers did recently conduct a full scale study of their own; the Berkley Earth Study, it showed the exact same warming that the other major studies did and its lead author, a famous denier, flip flopped and during the announcement of the teams findings saying climate change is happening and it does appear that mankind is responsible for it. His name is Richard Muller.

The Conversion of a Climate-Change Skeptic - The New ...

The point is that its very well understood that our measurements of atmospheric gasses are very accurate

Thats because you may not be aware of both long and short wave radiation. A greenhouse gas is such because it is of the right size and shape that it reflects a very specific type of radiation or frequency. The frequency of radiation that enters the atmosphere from the sun is different than the frequency of radiation that reflects from the earths surface

ahhhh.......OK. I read a bit. Solar radiation passed thru more easily 70% than infared radiation gets back out 30%?

if you say so...........hmmmmm. How can we argue this? later?

I'm afraid your post is highly ambiguous, if you could be more specific maybe i can figure out what your question might be

I'm afraid your post is highly ambiguous, if you could be more specific maybe i can figure out what your question might be

Don't have question. Solar radiation is incoming (~70% gets thru?), The reflected energy is outgoing they named it infared (different wavelength?) 30% gets out. Earlier you said CO2 causes more to be trapped outgoing. More CO2 = more trapping? more GW? need data to prove this theory. I don't have any data. I don't have a graph. I may look into it someday.

Of course climate change is real and has been as long as there has been a climate. It's not static and never has been.

The question is how much of the current change is natural and how much is anthropogenic.
Which begs the question just how to reverse our damage without destroying our economies and just how long will it take? Remember, we don't want nukes, wind and solar aren't paying off, fossil fuels are evil, and geothermal and hydroelectric aren't available everywhere. Just what will we move to without sacrificing modern electrical needs because telling the public we will have mandatory blackouts will be a hard sell.

Yes, well, that is the topic of contention among scientists and politicians. There's no doubt about that.

Just for argument's sake, hypothetically, let's say the following is true:
  • All of climate change is due to natural causes.
  • Scientists' predictions re: the impact of the changes, be they left unchecked, are largely accurate.
  • Humanity can do things now that will slow and lessen the impact of the change.
Given the above:
  • What would be the resulting impact on our economies? Would that impact not be tantamount to their being wrecked?
  • What would be the impact on our planet? If the impact is devastating to life as we know it, have you found another planet to which we can immigrate?
Yes, the cost of doing stemming climate change may well be quite high. IMO, it's not as high as the cost of finding oneself (or one's descendents finding themselves) on a humanly uninhabitable (or nearly so) planet. I'm all for preserving life as I know it, including the economic aspect of that life, but not at the cost/risk of denying life on this planet to some later generation of my descendents.

Quite simply, I don't buy into the idea that "if we aren't at the crisis point right now, there is no call to do something about whatever is happening." I don't want to wait for a crisis to manifest; I want to do the most I can now in an effort to avert a potential crisis. If it costs me something, say, $50/year, $500/year, $5,000/year, or even $50K/year to do that, okay; I can live with that; whatever is my fair share of the cost, I'm willing to pay it in an effort to secure a future for my great grandkids. Heck, if I can spend any of those sums on entertaining myself each year, and I know damn well I do, I can certainly waive the entertainment and contribute the same sum to (or trying to) quelling climate change.

Reference Material:

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-30_23-27-16.png
    upload_2015-12-30_23-27-16.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 58
Of course climate change is real and has been as long as there has been a climate. It's not static and never has been.

The question is how much of the current change is natural and how much is anthropogenic.
Which begs the question just how to reverse our damage without destroying our economies and just how long will it take? Remember, we don't want nukes, wind and solar aren't paying off, fossil fuels are evil, and geothermal and hydroelectric aren't available everywhere. Just what will we move to without sacrificing modern electrical needs because telling the public we will have mandatory blackouts will be a hard sell.

Firstly, thank you for your post. secondly, forgive me if I disagree with a few points and clarify a few others.

While climate is not stable the tyspe of climate change we see today as compared to the paleo climate record is considerably different than what has been seen in the past.

The question of how much of todays climate shift can be attributed to mans activities is actually an easy one. Nearly all of it.

What it boils down to is that since the advent of the industrial age mankind has been burning fossil fuels as fast as we can dig them up. While a stable oscillation within the carbon temp system of the planet is easily observed in the paleoclimate record what time frames within the industrial age show is the expected result in burning fossil carbon reserves. An increase in CO2 in the atmosphere.

Warming at predicted levels to carbon increases has occurred in the industrial age ( see Arrhenius )

The fact that nearly all of the excess carbon in the atmosphere is attributable to mans activities is very well knows but I can understand the question as the science is somewhat advanced.

How to reverse the problems with respect to how it effects our economies is a political question this particular thread isn't really designed to address

Wind and solar are paying off quite well. I'm not sure what data leads you to believe otherwise but I am curious

I would love to see your evidence that anthropogenic sources are the cause of all the climate change we see today.

Don't have question. Solar radiation is incoming (~70% gets thru?), The reflected energy is outgoing they named it infared (different wavelength?) 30% gets out. Earlier you said CO2 causes more to be trapped outgoing. More CO2 = more trapping? more GW? need data to prove this theory. I don't have any data. I don't have a graph. I may look into it someday.

Well now wait a minute, Solar radiation is incoming but its measured in watts per meter as is the outgoing radiation. CO2 is a greenhouse gas but I didn't mention anything about trapping or outgoing. although your comment was somewhat unclear. CO2 = a longer residency time of the total solar irradiation. Once again the data and experiments you are talking about are all extremely old science, say 125 years ago Arrhenius calculated the consequences of varying amounts of additional CO2 in the atmosphere. He eventually became the chair of the Nobel Prize Committee.

If you are trying to make a statement then please lets use standard weights and measures, otherwise you might as well be talking gibberish. If you are trying to pose a question, then kindly base it on a correct premise.

Firstly, thank you for your post. secondly, forgive me if I disagree with a few points and clarify a few others.

While climate is not stable the tyspe of climate change we see today as compared to the paleo climate record is considerably different than what has been seen in the past.

The question of how much of todays climate shift can be attributed to mans activities is actually an easy one. Nearly all of it.

What it boils down to is that since the advent of the industrial age mankind has been burning fossil fuels as fast as we can dig them up. While a stable oscillation within the carbon temp system of the planet is easily observed in the paleoclimate record what time frames within the industrial age show is the expected result in burning fossil carbon reserves. An increase in CO2 in the atmosphere.

Warming at predicted levels to carbon increases has occurred in the industrial age ( see Arrhenius )

The fact that nearly all of the excess carbon in the atmosphere is attributable to mans activities is very well knows but I can understand the question as the science is somewhat advanced.

How to reverse the problems with respect to how it effects our economies is a political question this particular thread isn't really designed to address

Wind and solar are paying off quite well. I'm not sure what data leads you to believe otherwise but I am curious

I would love to see your evidence that anthropogenic sources are the cause of all the climate change we see today.

I'll direct you to a friends website

How do we know that recent CO2 increases are due to ...

Yes, well, that is the topic of contention among scientists and politicians. There's no doubt about that.

Just for argument's sake, hypothetically, let's say the following is true:
  • All of climate change is due to natural causes.
  • Scientists' predictions re: the impact of the changes, be they left unchecked, are largely accurate.
  • Humanity can do things now that will slow and lessen the impact of the change.
Given the above:
  • What would be the resulting impact on our economies? Would that impact not be tantamount to their being wrecked?
  • What would be the impact on our planet? If the impact is devastating to life as we know it, have you found another planet to which we can immigrate?
Yes, the cost of doing stemming climate change may well be quite high. IMO, it's not as high as the cost of finding oneself (or one's descendents finding themselves) on a humanly uninhabitable (or nearly so) planet. I'm all for preserving life as I know it, including the economic aspect of that life, but not at the cost/risk of denying life on this planet to some later generation of my descendents.

Quite simply, I don't buy into the idea that "if we aren't at the crisis point right now, there is no call to do something about whatever is happening." I don't want to wait for a crisis to manifest; I want to do the most I can now in an effort to avert a potential crisis. If it costs me something, say, $50/year, $500/year, $5,000/year, or even $50K/year to do that, okay; I can live with that; whatever is my fair share of the cost, I'm willing to pay it in an effort to secure a future for my great grandkids. Heck, if I can spend any of those sums on entertaining myself each year, and I know damn well I do, I can certainly waive the entertainment and contribute the same sum to (or trying to) quelling climate change.

Reference Material:

Actually there is virtually no contention among climate scientists about climate change. Climate change science actually enjoys the highest consensus of any of the sciences. Something like 99.9% of all papers concerning climate change agreed with the basic theory. If you are able to show any major contention among the climate science community concerning climate change theory I'd sure love to see it.

In the mean time I'm afraid I can't comment on wildly hypothetical circumstances with zero support in the science.

Actually there is virtually no contention among climate scientists about climate change...

Well, you are correct about that. I should have been more clear....the contention is between (1) scientists and (2) politicians and their constituencies, who mostly are not scientists, and the point of contentions is whether the scientists know enough about what they do/did and have said when identifying the results of their analysis of climate change, that anyone who can effect policy should take them seriously enough to do what they are recommending be done.

Actually there is virtually no contention among climate scientists about climate change...

Well, you are correct about that. I should have been more clear....the contention is between (1) scientists and (2) politicians and their constituencies, who mostly are not scientists, and the point of contentions is whether the scientists know enough about what they do/did and have said when identifying the results of their analysis of climate change, that anyone who can effect policy should take them seriously enough to do what they are recommending be done.

Ah, well the thread is a science based discussion and not a political one. If you would like to discuss the politicians or the publics lack of understanding of the science you are welcome to start a thread about that

Ah, well the thread is a science based discussion and not a political one. If you would like to discuss the politicians or the publics lack of understanding of the science you are welcome to start a thread about that

I really don't want to do that at all. That's why I didn't list any news or editorial reference materials in my prior post, sticking instead to original research, and conclusions based on it, by scientists. Like you, I'm not a scientist, so the best I can do is read the research and "put two and two together" based on it. It's also why my first post asked questions for which the answers are presentable in empirical, unambiguous terms.

That is OPINION and not fact. Do you know the difference?

A Real Climate.org link?

I thought you didn't want to politicize this debate and you are linking to a site by the AGW cult of Dr. Gavin Schmidt, Dr. Michael Mann and Dr. Stephan Rahmstorf?

Well if anyone wants to read it better hurry before Real climate goes dark once again.

I think these, taken in total, do that, at least to the extent of "substantially all of it that matters" if not "all." To the best of my understanding, there is a portion of climate change that is natural.

I think these, taken in total, do that, at least to the extent of "substantially all of it that matters" if not "all." To the best of my understanding, there is a portion of climate change that is natural.

The first link is a MODEL. That means it is not factual data. Do you know what data is?

The second link is OPINION. Do you understand the difference between opinion and fact?

The third link is OPINION. See above.

The fourth link is OPINION. See above.

The fifth link is OPINION based on computer models which is yet again NOT DATA!

I am asking for some simple empirical evidence for your assertions and you can't present one bit. Do you not understand basic scientific protocols? Do you understand that science is only interested in facts, not opinions? Do you knwo the difference between opinion and fact?

The first link is a MODEL. That means it is not factual data. Do you know what data is?

The second link is OPINION. Do you understand the difference between opinion and fact?

The third link is OPINION. See above.

The fourth link is OPINION. See above.

The fifth link is OPINION based on computer models which is yet again NOT DATA!

I am asking for some simple empirical evidence for your assertions and you can't present one bit. Do you not understand basic scientific protocols? Do you understand that science is only interested in facts, not opinions? Do you knwo the difference between opinion and fact?

From the first study:
"Here I show that the agreement between model results and observations for the past 1000 years is sufficiently compelling to allow one to conclude that natural variability plays only a subsidiary role in the 20th-century warming and that the most parsimonious explanation for most of the warming is that it is due to the anthropogenic increase in GHG."​
Reading the study, I see that they use data and they use modeling. They compare the data with the results of models.

As for the others, if you want to access the data that supported them, you'll need to refer to the references sections of them and obtain the documents referenced for that is where the data are. You don't think I'm going to give you a "data dump" do you? I think you are asking us to provide a "neat and tidy" paper that has all the data and the analysis "wrapped up with a bow" in one place. Does that even exist? Some things might come close, but to your satisfaction, I don't know. Did I not write "taken in total" when I provided the other links? That's why.

There are yet other sources of information/data (as with the earlier content, refer also to the references provided at these sites/with the documents):

Maybe because life requires a specific range of temperature? Your whole rant depends on it.

Well now wait a minute, Solar radiation is incoming but its measured in watts per meter as is the outgoing radiation. CO2 is a greenhouse gas but I didn't mention anything about trapping or outgoing. although your comment was somewhat unclear. CO2 = a longer residency time of the total solar irradiation. Once again the data and experiments you are talking about are all extremely old science, say 125 years ago Arrhenius calculated the consequences of varying amounts of additional CO2 in the atmosphere. He eventually became the chair of the Nobel Prize Committee.

If you are trying to make a statement then please lets use standard weights and measures, otherwise you might as well be talking gibberish. If you are trying to pose a question, then kindly base it on a correct premise.

This is what you posted "Thats because you may not be aware of both long and short wave radiation. A greenhouse gas is such because it is of the right size and shape that it reflects a very specific type of radiation or frequency. The frequency of radiation that enters the atmosphere from the sun is different than the frequency of radiation that reflects from the earths surface"

you clearly stated different FREQ reflected vs. incoming. you implied GHG reflects differently each. You said it not me. Quit trying to twist and sping with big words. It does not matter what units one uses. 0.00394 or 394ppm...........I don't care what you call it, just show some proof GW from GHG is real.

Forum List

Back