A simple economic lesson... raise capital gains to 43% will do what?

But if I don't invest in your company by taking a crapshoot, you are MORE likely to lose your job. See how that works!

Irrelevant. If I don't work for your company you go out of business. See how that works?

The investor is still going to invest even though his taxes go up some. Actually in what I argued they don't even have to. I've argued that all income should be taxed the same whatever the rate is.

huh? you were the one that made the suggestion! I was just asking about your plan

I have NO plan. But you know that. It's pretty typical though. Rather than discuss what is being proposed you want to make your replies personal. It's pretty cheap.

The tax increasde only affects single individuals who earn $445,850 and married couples who earn $501,600.
so married couple can file separately if either income is more than 250 K and avoid the higher rate

Stop hiding behind the small investors to protect the super wealthy
I truly feel extreme pity for you right-winger. Pity that the ONLY positive value out of your hatred of the super wealthy gives you reason to live it sounds like. I feel very sorry for people like you that have evidently NO hope of improving your current dismal financial condition except to rail against the super wealthy.
Again... I'm very sorry people like you are in the poor mental state of envy!

In your opinion, in an ideal world, where should the money, to run our federal government, come from?
There are many different options. None of them perfect, but most better than income tax. Property tax, for example, isn't nearly the intrusion that income tax is.

But, income tax - and the ability to constantly fuck with it - gives Congress lots of power. Congress likes lots of power.

Last edited:
Irrelevant. If I don't work for your company you go out of business. See how that works?

The investor is still going to invest even though his taxes go up some. Actually in what I argued they don't even have to. I've argued that all income should be taxed the same whatever the rate is.
Well...most people who are affected will actually change their plans moving forward.

Dividend paying stocks will usually do better than growth stocks because of the lower tax rates.

So stocks like J&J, AT&T, Budweiser, and ET will boom. Others that rely on growth will have a more difficult time growing.

Because if you have half of your returns in dividends and half in capital gains you just reduced your tax burden by 20% but made the same returns.

And that's what the fund managers are looking at.

Well...most people who are affected will actually change their plans moving forward.

Dividend paying stocks will usually do better than growth stocks because of the lower tax rates.

So stocks like J&J, AT&T, Budweiser, and ET will boom. Others that rely on growth will have a more difficult time growing.

Because if you have half of your returns in dividends and half in capital gains you just reduced your tax burden by 20% but made the same returns.

And that's what the fund managers are looking at.

Nobody will change anything.

It’s been shown many times the ultra rich don’t pay anywhere near the tax rates of the non-rich. The tax code was developed over time for their benefit. Their tax accountants are very good at tax avoidance.

Time for them to pay up BIG, to make up for the decades in which they paid very little.
In the 1950's we had a marginal tax rate of over 90%. We built the Interstate Highway System and many other major infrastructure projects. On a single income, a man could support a family, buy a car, pay for a home, and still put some money back. Tell me again how high end taxes are not good for the working man?

In the 1950's we had a marginal tax rate of over 90%. We built the Interstate Highway System and many other major infrastructure projects. On a single income, a man could support a family, buy a car, pay for a home, and still put some money back. Tell me again how high end taxes are not good for the working man?
yeah and an income of 40K a year put you in the 50% bracket

be careful what you wish for.

They'll just keep their income to under 1 million

or use any of the various ways of trusts and/or other legal ways to reduce taxes.

No they won't. If they have the ability to make well above 1 million they will continue to.

They will continue to invest. People change strategies now.
Which is what I precisely detailed...

I didn't say people will stop investing. Only change strategies because of the capital gains increases so they could avoid them.

Which is what I precisely detailed...

I didn't say people will stop investing. Only change strategies because of the capital gains increases so they could avoid them.

If all income is taxed the same there is no way to "avoid" anything.

I personally have been expecting this change and have my "playtime" portfolio already adjusted for this tax increase and coming stagflation and inflation and probable recession.

Congress agrees with me and has followed my investing strategies because they have been buying the exact stocks I've been holding. (They do have to declare and their veil of investments is too thin)

• Thanks
Reactions: DBA

Forum List

Back