A Skill This African Had Before Slavery

What white racists don't get
In other words, your a racist if you don't agree just as you're not black if you didn't vote for Biden?

is that Africans bought skills with them
Oh Lordy--- grown men with skills? What are the odds? I mean, most africans sold as slaves had been captured warriors from other warring tribes.

and the white slaveowner benefitted from that. Not the other way around.
I bet they taught those white plantation owners a thing or two! :dunno:

A Skill This African Had Before Slavery​

So what 'Skill" did that African have? answer: - none.
Kindness is a skill that isn't present everywhere. Oneisimus was most kind to share his knowledge for the 14.33% of Bostonians who died of that contagion. My mom's people dwelt in Boston a few years after their ship the Mayflower landed at Plymouth rock. My late husband was kind enough to take me to Massachusetts one year so I could have the thrill of seeing where my earliest European ancestors landed in or around 1619. It's not clear to me why a Dutch person was on an English ship. The family geneology book may not have said he was a stowaway, but my Grandpa knew it. I'm only guessing my young ancestor must've made himself very useful to the ship's yeomen to continue his ride to the new world. When he got to Massachusetts, he likely made Boston his home, where he raised 14 sons, over half of whom made it to adulthood. My sister borrowed my genealogy book, and I forgot all about it until two years after she died, told my other sister, who said, "Oh, I have the book now, and will give it back to you. I told her to keep it because she's 15 years younger than me, and her sons may have children, so it will always be in the family. My children's teachers taught them to skip having children because of there being too many people in the world, so they went with their schoolteachers instead of their mother. Now the teachers are telling their kids that if they wish it, change their sex for free on Uncle Sam. That's why I'm against public schools now. Families don't have a chance to have grandchildren unless they find a good church school somewhere that coordinates with the parents' belief system. Let my sorrow be your teacher. Make sure you know the teacher of your children has the decency to let you be their parent. :cranky:

According to CWST, there was a riot in Boston. Oops, I mean, the Boston Tea Party took place on December 16, 1773. I was taught this event is what started the Revolutionary War. We learned about the death of Crispus Attucks, an enslaved Black person who is said to have been the first to die for American independence. All this is fantastic, but left out is the story of another slave. His name was Onesimus, and without him, there may not have been a Boston to have that riot; oops, I mean the protest against the unfair taxation of American colonists by Britain.

In 1721, Boston was hit by a smallpox epidemic. The epidemic began with a sailor infected with the virus. By the time he was quarantined, it was too late. “Between April and December 1721, 5,889 Bostonians had smallpox, and 844 died of it.” Bostonians were looking for anything that would stop the spread of smallpox. Onesimus, a slave owned by Cotton Mather, a prominent Bostonian of the time, told Mather about an inoculation procedure he had while in Africa. Mather then went to a doctor named Zabdiel Boylston, who listened to Mathers suggestion and experimented with the process by inoculating his son and two slaves.

Boylston saw that it worked, so he and Mather went to area doctors advocating for inoculation as a solution to stop the spread of the virus. Since the idea originated from a slave, there was great skepticism about the actual effectiveness of the procedure. In the end, those doctors had to rest their racism for a moment since people were dying and what Onesimus presented was the only proven solution. So facing the choice of using it or watching people die, the doctors decided to try the technique Onesimus suggested. Boston was saved.

Thank you for the story, IM2. Your brother Onesimus may have saved my mother's family tree people. :thup:

Look, it's time you racists cut out the thinking that Africans knew nothing and lived on this earth for millions of years knowing nothing. Arabs lived in Africa and it is entirely reasonable that Africans knew of the procedure already before the Portuguese.

Onesimus brought medical knowledge he was not taught as a slave to America and it saved Boston. That's the way it is.

It's a very pretty story.

But it doesn't fit well with the fact that Jenner and his Smallpox Vaccination were famous in the Western World (yes, even in Boston) since the 1750s

Kindness is a skill that isn't present everywhere. Oneisimus was most kind to share his knowledge for the 14.33% of Bostonians who died of that contagion. My mom's people dwelt in Boston a few years after their ship the Mayflower landed at Plymouth rock. My late husband was kind enough to take me to Massachusetts one year so I could have the thrill of seeing where my earliest European ancestors landed in or around 1619. It's not clear to me why a Dutch person was on an English ship. The family geneology book may not have said he was a stowaway, but my Grandpa knew it. I'm only guessing my young ancestor must've made himself very useful to the ship's yeomen to continue his ride to the new world. When he got to Massachusetts, he likely made Boston his home, where he raised 14 sons, over half of whom made it to adulthood. My sister borrowed my genealogy book, and I forgot all about it until two years after she died, told my other sister, who said, "Oh, I have the book now, and will give it back to you. I told her to keep it because she's 15 years younger than me, and her sons may have children, so it will always be in the family. My children's teachers taught them to skip having children because of there being too many people in the world, so they went with their schoolteachers instead of their mother. Now the teachers are telling their kids that if they wish it, change their sex for free on Uncle Sam. That's why I'm against public schools now. Families don't have a chance to have grandchildren unless they find a good church school somewhere that coordinates with the parents' belief system. Let my sorrow be your teacher. Make sure you know the teacher of your children has the decency to let you be their parent.
:cranky:
Thanks for sharing parts of your family history - it is always interesting to read up upon such accounts.

As for skill, kindness is not a skill, it's an attribute a persons character might behold. Just as smiling would be considered to be a skill. One can be skilled due to having learned and been trained in regards to EI - as such a person could be considered to be skilled at EI - which also beholds kindness. As an African and slave on can out rule that he was skilled at EI.

No one knows the motivation - that made Oneisimus tell about an issue he had witnessed 5 years before. It could be kindness, it could be a display of "hey I know something that you don't know", it could also be a pure personal calculation in regards to obtaining privileges for himself - IIRC he was freed or partially freed.

Fact is that this inoculation procedure was well known to the medical profession already 400 years before, especially in regards to Arabs, Turkish and Portuguese living or working in Africa, India and the Far-East. Taking the small size of Boston and not being a reputed player in global trade at the time - it doesn't come as a surprise that the available doctors in Boston simply were not aware about such a procedure.

What I object towards - is this infantile/racist attempt by IM2 - to claim that an inoculation towards smallpox was an African (West-African) invention - and a skill that an African slave posessed. That the Boston population has all reasons to thank Oneisimus, his master Mather (who certainly faced redicule and resentments by the population) and especially Dr. Boylston, (who obviously must have led the experiments and dosage evaluations) is understood.

Forum List

Back