A unique type of tiny house could solve homelessness crisis among US veterans

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021

The growing trend of using shipping containers as tiny homes isn’t slowing across the country, and one nonprofit is turning to the repurposed structures to solve homelessness among U.S. veterans.

“If done right, this could be super quality housing,” Lee Goldstein, director of strategic initiatives and development at Volunteers of America — a nonprofit that focuses on affordable housing and other social services

I smell grift......$25K - $75k+ for a shipping container house? For that price, just buy them RVs.

Liberals love "housing first" policy it means the millions in tax dollars will never stop coming for the NGOs that are "helping ".

Will obese US Lardies get in through the door ?

Or , will there have to be special US sizes ?

The growing trend of using shipping containers as tiny homes isn’t slowing across the country, and one nonprofit is turning to the repurposed structures to solve homelessness among U.S. veterans.

“If done right, this could be super quality housing,” Lee Goldstein, director of strategic initiatives and development at Volunteers of America — a nonprofit that focuses on affordable housing and other social services

I smell grift......$25K - $75k+ for a shipping container house? For that price, just buy them RVs.

Liberals love "housing first" policy it means the millions in tax dollars will never stop coming for the NGOs that are "helping ".
someone has not looked at the price of rv's lately...plus housing should be provided for vets

but i realize you only as a trumper only pays lip service to the vets while voting against bills that would aid them but keep pretending you have the moral high ground

i have seen some creative con ex boxes, including a six unit condo a few blocks away.

the advantage is these things are pretty tough and easy to ship, but yea, i'd buy one used at the switching yard and take an angle grinder to it for a few grand.

I have often thought that this could be an interesting strategy that could work for SOME homeless fukkers. The containers themselves could be adapted at a fairly reasonable cost, but the infrastructure would be costly indeed. Imagine the cost of supplying each container/apt with water, electricity, and sewage.

In order to "work" the residents would have to be competent enough to use the unit without destroying it, and the units would have to be subject to periodic inspection to confirm that it is being used sanely...kept reasonably clean, not intentionally damaged or destroyed, not used for illegal purposes. So not all homeless people would be eligible. Seriously addicted and crazy people - the bulk of that population - are not competent to manage such an asset.

And then you have the problem of human nature: The more tolerable "homelessness" becomes, the more people will opt for that lifestyle. You could build an infinite number of units and they would be fully occupied within a couple weeks.

I remember watching a YouTube video a while ago about homelessness in Los Angeles, specifically the spending on same, and the infrastructure that has grown up to "address" homelessness. That infrastructure of agencies and NGO's THRIVES on the existence of a large homeless population, so their motivation is to keep it going.

Using shipping containers made in China for our vets? ... nevermind what filth the Chinese shipped in the container ... look at all the lead paint, PCBs and "forever chemicals" used to make the fool thing ... the container will be quite unhealthy to live in ... would you live in one knowing 100 day-laborers died inside? ... ewww ...

We just setting them on the ground? ... they'll rust away in no time flat ... we going to mount these things securely on concrete, there goes all your economy ...

Affordable housing in a myth ... meaning it doesn't exist ... why keep pretending? ...

I have often thought that this could be an interesting strategy that could work for SOME homeless fukkers. The containers themselves could be adapted at a fairly reasonable cost, but the infrastructure would be costly indeed. Imagine the cost of supplying each container/apt with water, electricity, and sewage.

In order to "work" the residents would have to be competent enough to use the unit without destroying it, and the units would have to be subject to periodic inspection to confirm that it is being used sanely...kept reasonably clean, not intentionally damaged or destroyed, not used for illegal purposes. So not all homeless people would be eligible. Seriously addicted and crazy people - the bulk of that population - are not competent to manage such an asset.

And then you have the problem of human nature: The more tolerable "homelessness" becomes, the more people will opt for that lifestyle. You could build an infinite number of units and they would be fully occupied within a couple weeks.

I remember watching a YouTube video a while ago about homelessness in Los Angeles, specifically the spending on same, and the infrastructure that has grown up to "address" homelessness. That infrastructure of agencies and NGO's THRIVES on the existence of a large homeless population, so their motivation is to keep it going.

I agree mostly, just wanted to add that folks with substance abuse issues need to be in residential drug addiction treatment facilities ... and those with mental health issues need to be in residential mental health treatment facilities ... that clears the excessively abusive people off ... but we're still left with normally abusive people in our tiny homes ... tenants are very hard on rental housing, they just don't care, they don't have to pay for the damage ...

If you busted your guts saving for a down payment, and you're busting your guts to make the mortgage payment ... likely you'll treat your new home with "soft gloves' as it were ...

Or, and here is a crazy idea.

We kick out all the illegals, we stop letting people live on perpetual welfare, stop sending hundreds of billions to protect corrupt countries, and instead help veteran us citizens so they don't have to live in some cheap tiny house and instead have a purpose in life and society that allows them to have their own home.

Giving these people some kind of job where they can take care of themselves and give them a purpose in life is the best option. All they need is the help to get started, just giving them a tiny house won't actually help them. They need a duty to fulfill and a job to do, just like they did in the military.

America needs to cleanse itself of leeches, criminals and illegals. We do that then all the rest can thrive.

Or, and here is a crazy idea.

We kick out all the illegals, we stop letting people live on perpetual welfare, stop sending hundreds of billions to protect corrupt countries, and instead help veteran us citizens so they don't have to live in some cheap tiny house and instead have a purpose in life and society that allows them to have their own home.

Giving these people some kind of job where they can take care of themselves and give them a purpose in life is the best option. All they need is the help to get started, just giving them a tiny house won't actually help them. They need a duty to fulfill and a job to do, just like they did in the military.

America needs to cleanse itself of leeches, criminals and illegals. We do that then all the rest can thrive.

Maybe you weren't in the military ... this is all available at discharge ...

You'll have four years experience in a marketable job skill ... help with mortgages ... help with college ... and a society that's generally helpful to the veteran ...

The only downside is you're an alcoholic now and spent the past fours years cleaning up beheaded infants and pre-teen girls who were raped to death ... the kind of stuff that'll scramble your brains ...

Forum List

Back