A Way Out of the Wilderness for the GOP

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Republicans hold a weak hand in Washington but a stronger grip in states where voters have entrusted them with power. Performances there can boost not just the Republican image but bring the party back to power in Washington. More importantly, they can show conservative principles work. The "Red State Model" can, in the Wall Street Journal's words, "Drive Republican Revival."

Walter Russell Meade, one of our most brilliant thinkers, has written quite perceptively about the collapse of what he calls "the blue model." These are states that have been firmly in the hands of the Democratic Party and their allies (unions-especially public employee unions; special interest groups -- environmentalists among them). Together they have created a tax, spend and borrow model of governance that is leading to fiscal chaos. Policies have been adopted that have created a hostile business climate that has cramped growth and blighted the future of the middle class.

Prospects for these states are so dim there has been not just an exodus of their "best and brightest" (blue states are heavily dependent on taxing high-income people who have options to migrate to redder pastures) out of them, but a collapse in fertility rates, as well. When the future is bleak and the cost of living in the present is too high, people don't have children.

Liberals may caterwaul about a sustainable environment but seemingly couldn't care less about sustainable families or a sustainable future or a sustainable state.

These are states that are collapsing under the weight of liberal policies. While the fiscal condition of the Democrat-controlled federal government and blue state governments is horrendous, many Republican-controlled states are swimming in surpluses (there is a threat blue states will use their power in Washington to extract, courtesy of red-state workers, a massive bailout).

The archetype of this model would of course be California where "Progressive Failure is on Full Display" writes Californian Steven Greenhut -- but other states (Illinois, New York) are following down this disastrous path.

And therein lies an opportunity for the Republican Party.

cont...
Articles: A Way Out of the Wilderness for the GOP

Anything good that happens, Obama will take the credit...anything bad, it will be Republicans fault.

It's clearly been Obama's modus operandi...no reason to believe it will change.

With every day that passes and I see more government hatred being spewed by right wingers, I despise them more and more. Most of them are now basically grown cry babies, who are turning more radical by the day.

how can you liberals defend the 'Blue State Model'......?

Obama is using the same stupid Blue Model of tax and spend on the whole country.....

:cuckoo:

With every day that passes and I see more government hatred being spewed by right wingers, I despise them more and more. Most of them are now basically grown cry babies, who are turning more radical by the day.

You need to lay off the koolaid, Bucs.

Where were you during the Bush years.

Your new buddies make this look downright friendly by comparison.

FTR...Making true statements is not hatred.

1. What "hatred" was in this post? Regarding "right wingers:"

2. Why do you "despise" (as opposed to disagree with) them?

3. Why do you call them "cry babies?"

4. How are they becoming "more radical?"

You are obviously a very intelligent person who accidentally omitted the answers to these questions in your thoughtful post. :lol:

2011 startup rate: 440 per 100,000 adults

You might think California's lingering budget woes, high unemployment, burdensome taxes and regulations, and highly litigious culture would spook people thinking about launching a business here.

Whatever. The Golden State has a history of embracing entrepreneurs that shows no sign of letting up. Silicon Valley continues to be the launch pad for innovative web, biotech and geeky startups galore. Hollywood's robust entertainment industry sparks many new film- and TV-related firms.

Necessity is another driving force: California has a large population of immigrants and long-term unemployed, and many are creating small businesses as a way to earn a living, said Loren Kaye, president of the California Foundation for Commerce and Education.

Indeed, many firms with low startup and overhead costs launch and grow successfully in California, said Kaye. And, he said, they typically aren't walloped by high taxes and reams of regulation until they grow big.

10 most entrepreneurial states - California (3) - CNNMoney

Obama is using the same stupid Blue Model of tax and spend on the whole country.....

Jerry Brown Toilet-Talks Rick Perry: Your Anti-Cali Ad Is ?Barely A Fart?

the last laugh is on Cali......or else why is business in Texas growing and Cali shrinking.....?

maybe the workers don't get the big Cali Union incomes and bennies but they can look forward to more affordable things like Perry's idea for a $10,000 degree for their children...

Red vs. Blue states
GDP in millions (2010)

Red: 4,873,432 (equivalent to #4 between Japan and Germany)

Blue: 9,833,700 (equivalent to #2 between US and China)

Federal Tax Revenue (2010 personal & business income,estate, gift, excise taxes )

Red: 670,618,436

Blue: 1,519,021,950

RED VS BLUE « NC Links

Red vs. Blue states
GDP in millions (2010)

Federal Tax Revenue (2010 personal & business income,estate, gift, excise taxes )

RED VS BLUE « NC Links

I've seen this illusion before...break it down per capita (by population) and I think a different story might emerge.

I also don't know if I agree with the red/blue breakdown.

How do you classify a red state...by governor, by legislature, by national voting?

This is from your link...

Red: WV, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, TN, AR, OK, MO, KS, IN, KY, NE, SD, ND, WY, MT, ID, UT, AZ, AK

Blue: WA, OR, CA, NV, NM, CO, MN, IA, WI, MI, IL, OH, PA, NY, VT, NH, VA, FL, MA, ME, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, HI,(DC)

I've seen this illusion before...break it down per capita (by population) and I think a different story might emerge.

Population: (2010)

Red: 112,105,916

Blue: 196,639,622

All the wealthy states embrace the blue. You guys have even lost Virginia, home of the capital of the confederacy. Put enough highly productive people in a state and any one of them can turn blue.

Red vs. Blue states
GDP in millions (2010)

RED VS BLUE « NC Links

don't rest on your laurels.....

Red states' income growing faster than blue states' ? USATODAY.com

I despise the Radical, Intolerant assholes on each side, and guess what. You are one of them.

Jerry Brown Toilet-Talks Rick Perry: Your Anti-Cali Ad Is ?Barely A Fart?

the last laugh is on Cali......or else why is business in Texas growing and Cali shrinking.....?

maybe the workers don't get the big Cali Union incomes and bennies but they can look forward to more affordable things like Perry's idea for a $10,000 degree for their children...

Poor Texas. With its high dropout rate, lack of health insurance coverage and economic disparities, the Lone Star State appears to be desperate, or least its governor is. How else to explain Gov. Rick Perry's unseemly radio ads attempting to lure businesses away from California?

Yes, come check out Texas. Check out a state that ranks dead last in the percent of its population with high school diplomas. Come check out a state that is last in mental health expenditures and workers' compensation coverage. Come check out a state that ranks first in the number of executions, first in the number of uninsured, first in the amount of carbon dioxide emitted and first in the amount of toxic chemicals released into water.

Read more here: Editorial: Pity Rick Perry; his big state has big needs - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

I despise the Radical, Intolerant assholes on each side, and guess what. You are one of them.

Whoa homie

Poor Texas. With its high dropout rate, lack of health insurance coverage and economic disparities, the Lone Star State appears to be desperate, or least its governor is. How else to explain Gov. Rick Perry's unseemly radio ads attempting to lure businesses away from California?

Yes, come check out Texas. Check out a state that ranks dead last in the percent of its population with high school diplomas. Come check out a state that is last in mental health expenditures and workers' compensation coverage. Come check out a state that ranks first in the number of executions, first in the number of uninsured, first in the amount of carbon dioxide emitted and first in the amount of toxic chemicals released into water.

Read more here: Editorial: Pity Rick Perry; his big state has big needs - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

Moonbeam desperately needs advice from Perry....but he's too stupid to learn even the second time around....

Republicans hold a weak hand in Washington but a stronger grip in states where voters have entrusted them with power. Performances there can boost not just the Republican image but bring the party back to power in Washington. More importantly, they can show conservative principles work. The "Red State Model" can, in the Wall Street Journal's words, "Drive Republican Revival."

Walter Russell Meade, one of our most brilliant thinkers, has written quite perceptively about the collapse of what he calls "the blue model." These are states that have been firmly in the hands of the Democratic Party and their allies (unions-especially public employee unions; special interest groups -- environmentalists among them). Together they have created a tax, spend and borrow model of governance that is leading to fiscal chaos. Policies have been adopted that have created a hostile business climate that has cramped growth and blighted the future of the middle class.

Prospects for these states are so dim there has been not just an exodus of their "best and brightest" (blue states are heavily dependent on taxing high-income people who have options to migrate to redder pastures) out of them, but a collapse in fertility rates, as well. When the future is bleak and the cost of living in the present is too high, people don't have children.

Liberals may caterwaul about a sustainable environment but seemingly couldn't care less about sustainable families or a sustainable future or a sustainable state.

These are states that are collapsing under the weight of liberal policies. While the fiscal condition of the Democrat-controlled federal government and blue state governments is horrendous, many Republican-controlled states are swimming in surpluses (there is a threat blue states will use their power in Washington to extract, courtesy of red-state workers, a massive bailout).

The archetype of this model would of course be California where "Progressive Failure is on Full Display" writes Californian Steven Greenhut -- but other states (Illinois, New York) are following down this disastrous path.

And therein lies an opportunity for the Republican Party.

cont...
Articles: A Way Out of the Wilderness for the GOP

A number of faults in this ‘reasoning…’

The cost of red state ‘surplus’ comes at the expense of good schools, good paying jobs, and appropriate and needed public services. The poor quality alone of the education systems found in many red states such as Louisiana and Mississippi will be a sufficient motive for voters in blue states to continue to reject the GOP model.

A significant contributing factor to blue states’ financial woes is the expense of keeping red state residents supplied with food stamps, Medicaid, and other forms of public assistance – much the result of red states refusing to take care of their own residents.

Last, even if, for the sake of discussion, the OP article had some valid point, blue state voters will never abide a GOP linked to social conservatives, with their hostility toward gays and immigrants, and their advocacy of legitimate rape.

Population: (2010)

Red: 112,105,916

Blue: 196,639,622

All the wealthy states embrace the blue. You guys have even lost Virginia, home of the capital of the confederacy. Put enough highly productive people in a state and any one of them can turn blue.

Hold your horses there desperado...both houses of the Virginia General Assembly and the Governors office are all under Republican control in VA...

That doesn't sound like a blue state to me.

Forum List

Back