AARP Is Using Conservative Scare Tactics On Social Security

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
AARP is promoting alarmism about the program and giving awards to Republican lawmakers who want to cut it.

WASHINGTON ― Television viewers across the country have been treated to somescary advertisements about the future of Social Security.

“Our next president needs to take action on Social Security, or future generations could lose up to $10,000 a year,” the narrator intones, as ominous music plays in the background.

Viewers might be surprised to learn that the ad is from the AARP, the country’s largest seniors group and a longtime defender of social programs for older Americans. It’s part of the nonpartisan group’s election-focused “Take A Stand” campaign, launched last November to pressure candidates to spell out their plans for shoring up Social Security’s finances.

The “Take A Stand” initiative rankled progressive retirement security advocates virtually from the moment it started, because it focused on getting politicians to propose anydetailed plan ― and didn’t distinguish between reform proposals that would cut benefits and those that would not.

The new television ad has only heightened liberal concerns. Critics of AARP’s approach say that the influential seniors group, which has 37 million members across the country and incredible influence in Washington, is making Social Security’s financial challenges seem much more dire than they really are. In doing so, the group is playing right into the crisis framing favored by conservatives, who want benefit cuts to seem inevitable.

“AARP is aggravating a political situation that allows the right, and even Democrats on the center-right in Washington, to portray Social Security as a problem rather than as a vital resource for working people,” said Eric Laursen, author of The People’s Pension: The Struggle To Defend Social Security Since Reagan.

MUCH More: Nation's Largest Seniors Group Is Using Conservative Scare Tactics On Social Security

Shame on AARP. Almost makes me ashamed to be a member.

Every time they send me an enrollment package I put it to good use, by starting a fire with it in the garbage pile...

Every time they send me an enrollment package I put it to good use, by starting a fire with it in the garbage pile...
really? they have a return envelope inside of it. If it gets mailed back to them they get charged the postage.
I rip up the crap they send me, put it in that return envelope and send it back to them. They get to pay to get their trash back that way.

What happened to the old: Social Security will lead to communism? Not too long ago every Democratic program led to communism, but now candidates health problems, their sexual problems and so forth seem to be replacing communism. Has communism lost its fear factor?
Will the new fear gimmicks work?

really? they have a return envelope inside of it. If it gets mailed back to them they get charged the postage.
I rip up the crap they send me, put it in that return envelope and send it back to them. They get to pay to get their trash back that way.
My Dad did that with all the junk mail.

we are $20 trillion in debt.

seniors have seen blue states make deep cuts to their contracted retirements, so thinking leftist will move in on SS is not much of a leap.

leftist openly hate older Americans.

I thought AARP was a liberal organisation..
There membership took a dive when they came out and backed obama. This year they are claiming that they are not going to publicly back either candidate.

Uh huh. They don't fool me. ;)
me either, they can kiss my ass. Well, until I totally retire then I have to become a liberal so I can demand people that work pay more so I can afford to travel and live large.

There membership took a dive when they came out and backed obama. This year they are claiming that they are not going to publicly back either candidate.

me either, they can kiss my ass. Well, until I totally retire then I have to become a liberal so I can demand people that work pay more so I can afford to travel and live large.
Yeah, seniors living on $1500 - $2000 a month of SS are living the dream.:rolleyes:

Yeah, seniors living on $1500 - $2000 a month of SS are living the dream.:rolleyes:
social security was never meant to be your only source of retirement income. its a supplement.
I will live just fine on my personal retirement fund, however I still intend to take full advantage of the social security check when I'm eligible to do so,.
and I want the working class to pay me more. ( I might make more each month in retirement than most make working today.)

social security was never meant to be your only source of retirement income. its a supplement.
I will live just fine on my personal retirement fund, however I still intend to take full advantage of the social security check when I'm eligible to do so,.
and I want the working class to pay me more. ( I might make more each month in retirement than most make working today.)
Do away with the cap on earnings then. Make the Donald Trumps of the world pay a little too.

Regardless, the fact is that SS IS the only source of income for many. Everyone does not have a retirement.
Everyone doesn't makes millions in their lifetime. But, everyone has to pay into SS. Those are the facts of life.
I am glad you intend to take full advantage of it. You should. You paid into it, and earned it....I don't care how much you make.

Forum List

Back