Abortion and Capital Punishment

Abortion and Capital Punishment

• I support abortion and oppose capital punishment.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I support capital punishment and oppose abortion.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I support both.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I support neither.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Capital punishment is a deterrent. Abortion is barbaric. You know what my vote will be.

I make no mention of politics in the poll; for my purposes, it's immaterial.

Capital punishment is for those who deliberately chose to take the life of another.

Abortion is the deliberate choice of taking anothers life.

Yet capital punishment doesn't apply to those who have or perform abortions as abortion is legal (and perfectly okay with many people).

There are things in this world that I will simply never understand.

They are not analagous. One kills a fully developed human being. The other kills an undeveloped bundle of cells that is not yet a human being. Both are irrevocable. Capitol punishment, as research shows, does not deter crime. Abortion should be rare - and would be with proper sex education, insurance covered contraception, and easily available Plan B pills. Were abortion not legal, there would be, as there had been, many more Gosnells and women dead from "home remedies".

I'm not claiming the two are analogous. This poll arises from a poster's apparent insistence in another thread that no one who opposes capital punishment can support abortion.

Neither abortion nor the death penalty are black and white, though one might think so considering they deal with life and death.

I am pro-life, but I believe the goal of 100 percent prevention or banning of abortions is an impossibility. We have never lived in a country which had a 100 percent ban or prevention. To pursue that goal is to risk tunnel vision which blocks out more achievable goals.

For instance, nearly half of all abortions are the result no birth control of any kind being used during the sex act which led to the unintended pregnancy. This means an effort to educate people on the uses of birth control, and get them to actually use them, and use them correctly, would result in many millions of fewer abortions each decade.

While the rate of abortions has declined since Roe v. Wade, it has not declined anywhere near enough, and I believe that is in large part because we have allowed the extremists suffering from tunnel vision to control the dialogue, with the result of virtually getting nowhere.

As for the death penalty, many of our Christian churches teach it is wrong, and some Christian faiths are even very public in their opposition. But it seems quite a few right wing adherents who wear their Christianity on their sleeves conveniently forget this.

I, personally, probably would not hesitate to pull the switch on an animal who killed someone I loved. But our justice system exists to distribute justice, which is quite frequently at odds with our passions.

I know my passions can get away from me, and I would love to be able to defer to our justice system and trust it will mitigate not only my own zeal, but the zeal of our whole society so our society may exist in the first place. However, careful observation and examination of our justice system has revealed to me the death penalty is meted out quite unjustly and in a very imbalanced fashion.

Not only that, many men on death row have been found to be innocent, thanks in large part to the advances of science and forensics. So something is clearly broken.

Therefore, at this juncture in my life, I am more favorable to life sentences without parole. That this opinion aligns with what my faith teaches is an added bonus.

Those who argue the economics of the death penalty miss the point. To demonstrate the illogic of the argument which says it is cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than it is too execute them, one only has to provide reductio ad absurdum and point out it is cheaper to let a murderer go free than to imprison him for life.

You cannot put a price on justice.

Last edited:
Capital punishment is a deterrent. Abortion is barbaric. You know what my vote will be.

The death penalty does not deter people from killing. States with the death penalty have a higher murder rate than the States without.

1. KILL the killer
2. Kill the savage within the inner-city

Now you know my opinion.

^yes, because killing to prove that killing is wrong makes perfect sense.

It's not all black and white in either situation. Lots of gray. LOTS of gray.

While the rate of abortions has declined since Roe v. Wade, it has not declined anywhere near enough, and I believe that is in large part because we have allowed the extremists suffering from tunnel vision to control the dialogue, with the result of virtually getting nowhere..

New York became the first state in the US where abortion was broadly legal. Since then, New York City has become the nation’s undisputed abortion capital, with an overwhelmingly pro-choice political establishment — and an abortion rate that’s three times the national average.

And a stifling taboo on the subject that chokes off any mature discussion about what such a rate means for the public welfare.

According to the city Health Department, 2008 saw 89,469 abortions performed in New York City — seven for every 10 live births. Among black women, abortions out number live births by three to two.

In other words, the reality in New York is about as far as possible from Bill Clinton’s proposition that abortion should be “safe, legal and rare.”

Do you support one, both, or neither?

Poll to follow.

If it really sucked to be in prison, I would be against the death penalty.

All moral humans are against abortion and would only use it in an emergency.

Forum List

Back