ACA surcharge on Restaurant Tab?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Obamacare: Now Appearing On Your Restaurant Bill | Zero Hedge

This article describes business managers as facing an estimated $500,000 in added costs of trying to comply with ACA regulations on employees and insurance.

The added "surcharge" pictured in the photo within the linked article
is described as used to recoup an estimated 160,000 of these costs.

This cites "CNN" as a source. Is this reliable researched news coverage
or shock reporting for entertainment?

Are there other more reliable sources or research on the cost of doing business under ACA,
for either doctors/medical service providers directly, and how much their operations changed,
or for other businesses affected by employer mandates and regulations on employees, etc. ?

Poor baby, the restaurant is telling you why you are paying more, and you want to pretend that it isn't a tax on you, so you want them to stop.

Dear WillowTree and QuantumWindbag:

Who are y'all talking to?

I am also more than fed up with "Obamavoters" abusing and accusing me,
while voting for more abuse of govt that I can't afford to keep trying to fix by myself,
when there is already enough damage done by Democrats in my district that has long exhausted my energy and my credit I've used for corrections the wrongdoers won't pay for.

I was merely asking to make sure this is legitimate and not
some hype used as bait to discredit opposition to the ACA.

Sorry if you mistook me for some idiot who doesn't see
the ACA is completely unconstitutional. There is a tragic lack
of constitutional education among the Democrat party,
but I'm doing everything I can to find out the fastest way to fix that problem globally.

All information has to be accurate, or it just fuels more distrust and confusion online.

someone started another thread, so I may move my questions over there!

Thanks but you were addressing some other audience, I'm guessing?

Obamacare: Now Appearing On Your Restaurant Bill | Zero Hedge

This article describes business managers as facing an estimated $500,000 in added costs of trying to comply with ACA regulations on employees and insurance.

The added "surcharge" pictured in the photo within the linked article
is described as used to recoup an estimated 160,000 of these costs.

This cites "CNN" as a source. Is this reliable researched news coverage
or shock reporting for entertainment?

Are there other more reliable sources or research on the cost of doing business under ACA,
for either doctors/medical service providers directly, and how much their operations changed,
or for other businesses affected by employer mandates and regulations on employees, etc. ?

as for a charge for health care as a extra tax ... in a situation like that I would deduct that tax from my bill ... then I would inform the manger and owner, that I would no longer patronize their business ... enough people doing this they will get the message .... the restaurant that does this I will go to the web site where restaurants are scrutinized on their food and service and let them and the entire state know what they are doing ... you see unless they state on their menu or when you are seated, you're not responsible for paying that cost to your meal ... there isn't any reason for them to do that at all ...

now for your numbers .... I as a single person applying for insurance Pay 250 a month ... now my plan is equivalent to any group plan they have now... if anything they would pay less because of the group plan ... for me thats 3,000 dollars a year Emily ... this bill affects companies who have 50 or more people ... at 50 people working for you that's a 150,000 dollars a year that a restaurant pays for health care for 50 people or more @ 250. a month ... the number of 500,000 dollars a year is way off for 50 people ....that's more like 166 people Emily ... in the case of the restaurant getting 160,000 dollars for you sharing the cost of health care with them .. you get to pay the company of 50, 10,000 in profit ... other words emily you're paying for the whole ball of wax ... just because some company doesn't want to pay for health care for their employees ... that's it in a nut shell ... a right wing nut shell ... do they really take us for being stupid emily ??? or is it just you they take

Last edited:
Poor baby, the restaurant is telling you why you are paying more, and you want to pretend that it isn't a tax on you, so you want them to stop.

legall they can't call it a tax ... thery can only call it a surcharge ... which by law they have to tell you up front first ... you at trhat time can refuse to pay it ... if they take your order then they can't charge you ...

Any Restaurant is free to add any charges to the bill as long as they notify the patron upfront

If the want to add a surcharge for what they pay for employee insurance ...Do it
If they want to add a surcharge because the price of food went up....Do it
If they want to add a surcharge because their rent went up...Do it

Just don't be surprised if your customers think you are being petty and eat at places that don't have a surcharge

Dear WillowTree and QuantumWindbag:

Who are y'all talking to?

I am also more than fed up with "Obamavoters" abusing and accusing me,
while voting for more abuse of govt that I can't afford to keep trying to fix by myself,
when there is already enough damage done by Democrats in my district that has long exhausted my energy and my credit I've used for corrections the wrongdoers won't pay for.

I was merely asking to make sure this is legitimate and not
some hype used as bait to discredit opposition to the ACA.

Sorry if you mistook me for some idiot who doesn't see
the ACA is completely unconstitutional. There is a tragic lack
of constitutional education among the Democrat party,
but I'm doing everything I can to find out the fastest way to fix that problem globally.

All information has to be accurate, or it just fuels more distrust and confusion online.

someone started another thread, so I may move my questions over there!

Thanks but you were addressing some other audience, I'm guessing?

emily you get medicare ... so how are you being inconvenience by Obama care ???? where are you charged one dime for Obama care ... like always emily you lie to justify your means .... please tell us where you are being charged any money for obama care...

your credit was damaged a long time ago how did Obama care damage your credit pleas tell us where it has cost you money lost to damage your credit...

you asked these question as if you really had a desire to understand ... I know better ... your whole post is designed to degrade obama and his desire for all to have health care... you still think obama isn't an natural borne citizen ... you still think that the democrats are out to hurt you ... you're the most paranoidold woman that I've ever had the pleasure to disprove...

Any Restaurant is free to add any charges to the bill as long as they notify the patron upfront

If the want to add a surcharge for what they pay for employee insurance ...Do it

Just don't be surprised if your customers think you are being petty and eat at places that don't have a surcharge

I agree they have every right to, but I also have the righ tto inform people in what they are doing ... I can also refuse to pay it too ... have me arrested ... have me go to court ... have me call up the local news and tell the news caster what I was arrested for ... as they close their doors, I will be the guy out side of their restaurant, with a protest sign, smilling ear to ear when the put up the sign "GONE OUT OF BUSINESS" because of their right wing nut business practices ...

Because of course, a buisiness owner making money is being "petty"

The increased costs have to be paid from somewhere. Why should a buisiness owner be forced to make less profit because of what the government is forcing him or her to do?

Why do progressives hate people who actually build and create stuff?

These same restaurants have no issues if the taxpayer has to pay for their employees medical expenses

The increased costs have to be paid from somewhere. Why should a buisiness owner be forced to make less profit because of what the government is forcing him or her to do?

Absolutely

And if the cost of doing business goes up, you have to compensate or go out of business. Your electric bill went up? Rent went up? Insurance went up? ....You have to compensate

But any time the cost of their low paid employees goes up ....we get the constant whining about the cost of doing business

you sure do assume a lot don't you ... you assume they will pay more ... so far the companies that have sign on, which by they way they aren't required too at this time ... they all have said they are paying less in health care cost then they were prior to obama care ... so does that meant the employees get a raise ??? or does it mean that the owner puts more money in his pocket ??? you tell us!!!! being you republicans are the fair ones ...

Absolutely

And if the cost of doing business goes up, you have to compensate or go out of business. Your electric bill went up? Rent went up? Insurance went up? ....You have to compensate

But any time the cost of their low paid employees goes up ....we get the constant whining about the cost of doing business

that's what they like to do ... they raise their prices to compensate their loss ... thats the proper way of doing business ... that's the norm ....their are no free lunches ... but to say we are charging you a surcharge for obama care is nothing more then a political grand standing ...

Absolutely

that's what they like to do ... they raise their prices to compensate their loss ... thats the proper way of doing business ... that's the norm ....their are no free lunches ... but to say we are charging you a surcharge for obama care is nothing more then a political grand standing ...

Very true

There are dozens of expenses that are higher than what they pay for health insurance and yet we don't see any "surcharges" for those

Hey, you want to make a "This establishment hates Obama" statement? Go ahead. It may help you with conservatives. But I don't think they are going to enjoy paying that surcharge for long

I agree they have every right to, but I also have the righ tto inform people in what they are doing ... I can also refuse to pay it too ... have me arrested ... have me go to court ... have me call up the local news and tell the news caster what I was arrested for ... as they close their doors, I will be the guy out side of their restaurant, with a protest sign, smilling ear to ear when the put up the sign "GONE OUT OF BUSINESS" because of their right wing nut business practices ...

Go for it.

Would you like all the legal precedents in California where people who refused to pay a health care service charge were convicted of a crime? Yet there are still people that go into restaurants, see the bill, and then act like it is an option.

Last edited:

you sure do assume a lot don't you ... you assume they will pay more ... so far the companies that have sign on, which by they way they aren't required too at this time ... they all have said they are paying less in health care cost then they were prior to obama care ... so does that meant the employees get a raise ??? or does it mean that the owner puts more money in his pocket ??? you tell us!!!! being you republicans are the fair ones ...

You got a link for all the shit you are spewing?

Absolutely

Very true

There are dozens of expenses that are higher than what they pay for health insurance and yet we don't see any "surcharges" for those

Hey, you want to make a "This establishment hates Obama" statement? Go ahead. It may help you with conservatives. But I don't think they are going to enjoy paying that surcharge for long

Those other "expenses" have been around forever. Being forced to provide healthcare to employees is a new concept.

Very true

Those other "expenses" have been around forever. Being forced to provide healthcare to employees is a new concept.

So?

Forum List

Back