Accidental Racist

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
It's a brand new song by Brad Paisley.
He collaborated with LL Cool J over it.

Doesn't really belong in "Race Relations", as there's too much flaming.

Doesn't really belong in "Media", as I'd like to have an honest conversation about it.

I wanted to put it in "Clean Debate" so we can speak honestly but still be respectful, considering the topic.

I realize some don't really care for Country music but please bear with it.
The lyrics are very thought-provoking and the song really spoke to me when I heard it this morning.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_qbt1EVuw8"]accidental racist - brad paisley lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

:cool:

Terrific song and sentiment.

I don't think I've ever heard a better explanation about what its like to be a son of the south, actually.

I suspect one of the things sons of the south truly cannot understand is how most people not of the south don't even think in terms of being Sons of the Whereever.

Oh it isn't like we;re not happy living where we live, but we do not DEFINE OURSELVES based on the accident of our births.

Believe me nobody I ever knew called themselves a SON OF THE NORTH.

Likewise nobody I ever knew waxed poetic about the NORTHERN culture, either.

And it isn't like the rest of the nation doesn't have a culture to look to, it's just we don't harp on it like this was somehow WHO WE ARE.

Southerner who wax on all about the Sothern culture sound to most of us like they are still playing the VICTIM CARD.

And the problem with that is the only people who feel like the CSA state were victims of ANYTHING other than their own foolish pride and greed to keep slaves, are Good ol boys of the South.

The difference in mindset is so vast that even trying to discuss it usuallyt leads to the same old silly arguments about how the war was states rights and how slaves really were not all that bad off.

The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery until two years into the war.

I don't think I've ever heard a better explanation about what its like to be a son of the south, actually.

I suspect one of the things sons of the south truly cannot understand is how most people not of the south don't even think in terms of being Sons of the Whereever.

Oh it isn't like we;re not happy living where we live, but we do not DEFINE OURSELVES based on the accident of our births.

And it isn't like the rest of the nation doesn't have a culture to look to, it's just we don't harp on it like this was somehow WHO WE ARE.

Southerner who wax on all about the Sothern culture sound to most of us like they are still playing the VICTIM CARD.

And the problem with that is the only people who feel like the CSA state were victims of ANYTHING other than their own foolish pride and greed to keep slaves, are Good ol boys of the South.

The difference in mindset is so vast that even trying to discuss it usuallyt leads to the same old silly arguments about how the war was states rights and how slaves really were not all that bad off.

I feel like identifying one's self as a "son of the south" happens, most times, as a sort of defense mechanism.
Meaning that people hear that you're from the south you're automatically branded with what the past has tattooed on it.
We tend to embrace it in order to defend it, and ourselves.

I realize all parts of our country have their own pride.
The Buckeyes
The Yankees
The Hoosiers
The Cornhuskers

I was born in Florida, making me a "Cracker".....
Raised in Georgia, where my HS mascot was "Rebels".

So, at the risk of sounding like a "victim" (and I know you weren't specifically calling me out on it), sometimes it's hard to freely express pride in either of those identifiers because of the stigma attached to both monickers.

It's a brand new song by Brad Paisley.
He collaborated with LL Cool J over it.

Doesn't really belong in "Race Relations", as there's too much flaming.

Doesn't really belong in "Media", as I'd like to have an honest conversation about it.

I wanted to put it in "Clean Debate" so we can speak honestly but still be respectful, considering the topic.

I realize some don't really care for Country music but please bear with it.
The lyrics are very thought-provoking and the song really spoke to me when I heard it this morning.

accidental racist - brad paisley lyrics - YouTube

When will we figure out that racism doesn't exist? There is only culturalism, although, I think there is a strong case that stereotyping ones culture by their skin color can be defined as racism. Nevertheless, no one hates anyone because of the color of their skin. However, there are some jacked up cultures, there are some advanced cultures, and criticism of culture is a legitimate object of debate.

In spite of Paisley's vocal dominance of the track, he's immediately usurped by LL Cool J's deeper tone when contrasted against his [Paisley's] almost whiney pitch. And although Paisley's declaration that he's "just a white man" is somewhat controversial by today's standard, in that mentioning his skin tone almost translates as going on the offensive, his nasal pitch makes the whole song sound more like a lacklustre lament than anything else.

What I don't understand about people like this guy in the OP (sorry, am not familiar with the singer) is that, as he says in the song, it has been 150 years. Why can't these people get over it and past it? People all over the country have done it, are doing it. Mixed marriages, interracial families....it's happening all over the world, all over the country. What is the issue? What is the problem? Why can't certain people get over it? Why is it still and issue for them? I really don't get it.

In spite of Paisley's vocal dominance of the track, he's immediately usurped by LL Cool J's deeper tone when contrasted against his [Paisley's] almost whiney pitch. And although Paisley's declaration that he's "just a white man" is somewhat controversial by today's standard, in that mentioning his skin tone almost translates as going on the offensive, his nasal pitch makes the whole song sound more like a lacklustre lament than anything else.

What you call "whiny", we call "twang"
:razz:
But what of the actual message, Swag?

What I don't understand about people like this guy in the OP (sorry, am not familiar with the singer) is that, as he says in the song, it has been 150 years. Why can't these people get over it and past it? People all over the country have done it, are doing it. Mixed marriages, interracial families....it's happening all over the world, all over the country. What is the issue? What is the problem? Why can't certain people get over it? Why is it still and issue for them? I really don't get it.

Who do you mean when you say "these people"?
Who's not getting over it?

Do you realize that's exactly what the song is trying to communicate?
Just because there's a cowboy hat, there's not a "hick" under it.

Like the opening verse says about his shirt....it's just because he's a Skynyrd fan.

"Just like you, I'm more than what you see"

:thup:

What you call "whiny", we call "twang"
:razz:
But what of the actual message, Swag?

I'm not entirely sure what the "message" is, if there even is one in a consistent sense. It seems to begin with an explanation as to why someone would wear an item of clothing with the Stars and Bars emblazoned across it. Then deviates into a simpering 'we all need to sit down and understand one another to iron-out our differences'. That sounds all well and good, but it still seems like the white man would be offering all the concessions if any sincere dialogue were initiated.

And yes, I appreciate that what I call "whiny" is what you call twang. But LL Cool J's tone just seems more authoritive, and undermines Paisley's masculinity somewhat.

Like the opening verse says about his shirt....it's just because he's a Skynyrd fan.

I mean by 'these people,' what I said, the guy in the song who has the concerns he has. I didn't say anything about how he dressed or did any name calling. Why are you making tht an issue? And I mean by not getting over it: why is what race one is still such an issue for this guy. Obviously this is a problem for him or he wouldn't write a song about it.

Isn't this supposed to be the clean debate zone? Why are you attacking me?

If I don't understand the song, then what is his issue? Is he concerned about being a cowboy, a hick, a racist or what? And btw, I have no idea what Skynyrd is. Please try to adhere to the principles of the clean debate zone and be civil.

Last edited:

I mean by 'these people,' what I said, the guy in the song who has the concerns he has. I didn't say anything about how he dressed or did any name calling. Why are you making tht an issue? And I mean by not getting over it: why is what race one is still such an issue for this guy. Obviously this is a problem for him or he wouldn't write a song about it.

I didn't say you said anything about how he dressed. That's what was said in the song. No "attack" intended.

Brad Paisley has always been an an observer-type songwriter.
Seek out some of his songs to see what I mean:
American Saturday Night
He didn't have to Be
Waiting on a Woman

Letter to Me
(my favorite)

If I don't understand the song, then what is his issue? Is he concerned about being a cowboy, a hick, a racist or what? And btw, I have no idea what Skynyrd is. Please try to adhere to the principles of the clean debate zone and be civil.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is a southern rock band from the 70's that uses the Confederate flag to honor their heritage.

lynyrd-skynyrd1.jpg

I feel like identifying one's self as a "son of the south" happens, most times, as a sort of defense mechanism.

Meaning that people hear that you're from the south you're automatically branded with what the past has tattooed on it.

We tend to embrace it in order to defend it, and ourselves.

Yup, I can definitely see that happening.

I realize all parts of our country have their own pride.
The Buckeyes
The Yankees
The Hoosiers
The Cornhuskers

Well that's sort of my point about what makes being Southern different than being almost from any other place. Those are merely names to describe where we're from. They do NOT define our identities.

I was born in Florida, making me a "Cracker".....
Raised in Georgia, where my HS mascot was "Rebels".

So, at the risk of sounding like a "victim" (and I know you weren't specifically calling me out on it), sometimes it's hard to freely express pride in either of those identifiers because of the stigma attached to both monickers.

Yeah, I totally get that, I really do.

At least until I see some yeehaw sporting a stars and bars flag.

Then I lose both respect and sympathy for the plight of the southern man.

a wound don't heal if ya keep pickin' at it.

Couldn't rep ya, so I'll just QFT.

We can't avoid the subject either.
Unless and until we can have an honest discussion we can't fully get past it, either.

We can't be afraid to talk about our differences and we need to embrace our similarities.

I think we've come a very long way.
First and foremost we've elected a black man for the highest office in the land, and the world, TWICE (yea, I know....he's half-white.....shut up, already)
Look at how commonplace inter-racial relationships are these days.

The younger generation really "get it". The previous stigmata of hanging out "out the wrong side of the tracks" is all but gone.
You have Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob cranking Hip-Hop out of his 4-wheel drive truck.

I just see racism slipping away faster than some that would play the "card".

And that is a good thing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrsXhu65xE]Accidental Racist Song By Brad Paisley & LL Cool J is Attacked for Being Racist - YouTube[/ame]

a wound don't heal if ya keep pickin' at it.

Couldn't rep ya, so I'll just QFT.

We can't avoid the subject either.
Unless and until we can have an honest discussion we can't fully get past it, either.

We can't be afraid to talk about our differences and we need to embrace our similarities.

I think we've come a very long way.
First and foremost we've elected a black man for the highest office in the land, and the world, TWICE (yea, I know....he's half-white.....shut up, already)
Look at how commonplace inter-racial relationships are these days.

The younger generation really "get it". The previous stigmata of hanging out "out the wrong side of the tracks" is all but gone.
You have Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob cranking Hip-Hop out of his 4-wheel drive truck.

I just see racism slipping away faster than some that would play the "card".

And that is a good thing

and thank you. you're right.

i'm a white guy but represented a lot of "disenfranchised" people in various dispute, many involving discrimination and most involving racial discrimination. i would always caution the person about playing the race card frivolously becaause it is a very powerful tool and i wanted it to remain so for the next guy down the line. they understood and agreed. then we could come to the table and realise it was people just getting their hackles up and a mistake.

it really is getting better and i have found that minority people have become very forgiving and understanding of the majority people's ignorance about the mores and inadvertent slurs about their ethnicity while at the same time becoming forceful without the anger about overt bigotry...and the reciprocal. it just happens if it isn't forced.

it's complicated but it really is getting better. my only worry is that those who used to be the targets of racism will be replaced by new victims of prejudices. it is a constant struggle but it is worth the effort.

i'm kinda lucky i think.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back