Acquainted with Grief

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
17377-picturesque-mountain-valley-1920x1080-nature-wallpaper.jpg

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isaiah 53: 3

Jesus Christ is to this very day despised and rejected of men. He understands sorrow and is acquainted with grief. Those who are rejecting him are causing him grief. I do not want to grieve the Lord. I feel deep regret and sorrow for every act of disobedience I ever committed in the light of His truth. What excuse could I possibly have had while knowing the truth? What excuse could any of us have when the truth is right before us? The same power that Jesus Christ gave us to become the sons of God has the power to keep us from sin. This is the truth.

It is written:

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:11-13

Soon the bridegroom will come, the wise virgins shall enter in and the door will be shut. The foolish virgins will say, Lord, Lord, open to us. And the Lord will respond, Verily I say unto you, I know you not (see Matthew 25:1-13).

It is written:
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1 John 3:8

The Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Early this morning, I was thinking about the delight Satan must take at drawing one of God's children into sin. The thought that came to my mind was that of a person accepting a knife from Satan and then - as they commit that act of sin - stabbing the Lord Jesus Christ in his heart. Every time they accept that sin from Satan's hand and deliberately act upon it - it is as if they are taking the devil's knife and stabbing the very heart of God.

While Jesus Christ is acquainted with sorrow and grief, we may not realize by whose hand it has come. If an enemy wounds me, I can expect nothing different from him. After all, he is my enemy. But who can bear the wounds that come from the hand of an intimate friend? Have you ever been deeply wounded by someone who called you friend? I have. It's a very deep grief but surely not as deep as the grief Jesus feels each time one of us sin against Him.

The grief Jesus feels over our failures to obey Him is not good. The grief we feel over our failures to obey Him is good if it leads us to repentance. Our sorrow is good if it leads to an awakening of the price Jesus Christ paid to free us from sin and death.

There are many ministers in the earth today but few that will warn their congregations that no worker of iniquity can inherit the kingdom of heaven. The laborers are few. How can a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ warn others to stop sinning when he hasn't done it himself? His conscience could not bear such a confession and so he says nothing. Even without his conscience, he knows many in his congregation would leave and so he says nothing. By definition, he is a hireling.

Today I was reading a brief sermon by Oswald Chambers entitled, "Acquaintance with Grief." Oswald died many years ago but his words live on and thank God for it because preachers today would not tell us what he told the people of his own time.

Here is what Oswald Chambers wrote:

Sin has made the basis of things wild and not rational. We have to recognize that sin is a fact, not a defect; sin is red-handed mutiny against God. Either God or sin must die in my life. The New Testament brings us right down to this one issue. If sin rules in me, God's life in me will be killed; if God rules in me, sin in me will be killed. There is no possible ultimate but that. The climax of sin is that it crucified Jesus Christ, and what was true in the history of God on earth will be true in your history and in mine. In our mental outlook we have to reconcile ourselves to the fact of sin as the only explanation as to why Jesus Christ came, and as the explanation of the grief and sorrow in life.
Oswald Chambers

Picture the following scenario:

You are in your house and you have a sword. You discover a deadly viper is living in your house and you have no peace. You ignore it, try to live with it and eventually it kills you. Or... You discover a deadly viper is living in your house and you have no peace. You take your sword, cut off its head and throw it out of your house. Now peace returns to your home. Which are you going to do?

It's understandable that many will not want to receive this message yet I feel compelled to write it. Today's evangelists, Pastors, Sunday School teachers are preaching a false grace message which is a doctrine of devils. As Philip Keller describes it in his book, "The High Cost of Holiness," they are tearing the truth out of men's lives. I've never heard it put so poignantly so I thought it important to quote him as the author of those words......tearing the truth out of men's lives. What greater harm could any man do to another but to tear the truth out of their life? And yet... it's happening every single week in churches across America. To despise the pure Word of God is to despise Jesus Christ. To reject the truth declared in the Word of God is to reject Jesus Christ.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief:
and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isaiah 53: 3

Isaiah 53

Isaiah 53 refers to israel

The 53rd chapter of Isaiah is a beautiful, poetic song, one of the four “Servant Songs” in which the prophet describes the climactic period of world history when the Messiah will arrive and the Jewish people assume the role as the spiritual leaders of humanity.

Isaiah 53 is a prophecy foretelling how the world will react when they witness Israel's salvation in the Messianic era. The verses are presented from the perspective of world leaders, who contrast their former scornful attitude toward the Jews with their new realization of Israel's grandeur. After realizing how unfairly they treated the Jewish people, they will be shocked and speechless.

While the original Hebrew text clearly refers to the Jewish people as the “Suffering Servant,” over the centuries Isaiah 53 has become a cornerstone of the Christian claim that Jesus is the Messiah. Unfortunately, this claim is based on widespread mistranslations and distortion of context.

In order to properly understand these verses, one must read the original Hebrew text. When the Bible is translated into other languages, it loses much of its essence. The familiar King James translation uses language which is archaic and difficult for the modern reader. Furthermore, it is not rooted in Jewish sources and often goes against traditional Jewish teachings.

Isaiah 53: The Suffering Servant

guno, the KJV is a Christian text that interprets the writing than a Jewish scholar would.

Isaiah 53

The 53rd chapter of Isaiah is a beautiful, poetic song, one of the four “Servant Songs” in which the prophet describes the climactic period of world history when the Messiah will arrive and the Jewish people assume the role as the spiritual leaders of humanity.

Isaiah 53 is a prophecy foretelling how the world will react when they witness Israel's salvation in the Messianic era. The verses are presented from the perspective of world leaders, who contrast their former scornful attitude toward the Jews with their new realization of Israel's grandeur. After realizing how unfairly they treated the Jewish people, they will be shocked and speechless.

While the original Hebrew text clearly refers to the Jewish people as the “Suffering Servant,” over the centuries Isaiah 53 has become a cornerstone of the Christian claim that Jesus is the Messiah. Unfortunately, this claim is based on widespread mistranslations and distortion of context.

In order to properly understand these verses, one must read the original Hebrew text. When the Bible is translated into other languages, it loses much of its essence. The familiar King James translation uses language which is archaic and difficult for the modern reader. Furthermore, it is not rooted in Jewish sources and often goes against traditional Jewish teachings.

Isaiah 53 is about Jesus Christ the Messiah. When the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled you will hopefully see that as it will then be your time, Guno. I'm really looking forward to God removing the veil from your eyes to see that Jesus is your Messiah. I have looked forward to that day since I first met you!

Isaiah 53

Have a look at Isaiah 53 in the Tanakh:
Isaiah 53
JPS Tanakh 1917
1‘Who would have believed our report?
And to whom hath the arm of the LORD been revealed?
2For he shot up right forth as a sapling,
And as a root out of a dry ground;
He had no form nor comeliness, that we should look upon him,
Nor beauty that we should delight in him.
3He was despised, and forsaken of men, A man of pains, and acquainted with disease,
And as one from whom men hide their face:
He was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4Surely our diseases he did bear, and our pains he carried;
Whereas we did esteem him stricken,
Smitten of God, and afflicted.
5But he was wounded because of our transgressions,
He was crushed because of our iniquities:
The chastisement of our welfare was upon him,
And with his stripes we were healed.
6All we like sheep did go astray,
We turned every one to his own way;
And the LORD hath made to light on him
The iniquity of us all.
7He was oppressed, though he humbled himself
And opened not his mouth;
As a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
And as a sheep that before her shearers is dumb;
Yea, he opened not his mouth.
8By oppression and judgment he was taken away,
And with his generation who did reason?
For he was cut off out of the land of the living,
For the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due.
9And they made his grave with the wicked,
And with the rich his tomb;
Although he had done no violence,
Neither was any deceit in his mouth.’

10Yet it pleased the LORD to crush him by disease;
To see if his soul would offer itself in restitution,
That he might see his seed, prolong his days,
And that the purpose of the LORD might prosper by his hand:
11Of the travail of his soul he shall see to the full, even My servant,
Who by his knowledge did justify the Righteous One to the many,
And their iniquities he did bear.
12Therefore will I divide him a portion among the great,
And he shall divide the spoil with the mighty;
Because he bared his soul unto death,
And was numbered with the transgressors;
Yet he bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.
THE HOLY SCRIPTURES
ACCORDING TO THE MASORETIC TEXT
A NEW TRANSLATION
Jewish Publication Society

Who is Isaiah speaking of in Hebrew Tanakh? Jesus Christ, the Messiah.

Forum List

Back